Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2021, 23:05   #5521
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post
I am glad you stopped reading TheWire, ThePrint, TheQuint and NDTV

Anyway, back to the thread, I saw the G20 numbers in terms of percentage of population vaccinated, India is at 8th position out of 20 despite being the poorest in terms of per capita gdp. India has given as many doses as EU despite starting 2 month late.

Assuming we have 1Billion 18+ population, around 15% has got atleast one dose till now. Most likely 70% population will get it by August end.
You are free to deduce your own interpretations but unlike many, I don’t usually reply to insinuations. Just here to add some data:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-tracker.html

India has till date vaccinated 11% people with the first dose and only 3% people have got both the doses. My mother got the first vaccine in April and now she has to wait till July to get the second shot since ICMR has delayed the gaps between the shots. Daily inoculations have dropped sharply due to shortages of vaccine but then those are perhaps not that important !!

One can be happy about some rank but truth remains many people have died and that’s the absolute truth and that many lives could have been saved if we had started this vaccination program at the right time. Now if someone tells me that 70% of population will get vaccinated by August then I don’t know what to say !!

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 23rd May 2021 at 23:15.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 23:21   #5522
BHPian

Quote:

Assuming we have 1Billion 18+ population, around 15% has got atleast one dose till now. Most likely 70% population will get it by August end.
Latest study shows that Covishield efficacy against variant prevalent in India which is B.1.617 is only 33% for first dose. So if you are saying that 70% population gets 1st dose by August then you have to deduct about 2/3rd of these 70% which will mean that in effect only 23% of the 1billion would be protected by August.
Also this study suggests that until you get both doses, for all practical purposes you really are not protected.
So I would suggest that we give importance to data of fully vaccinated people only and not how many got single dose.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 23:48   #5523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Exercise is required for faster recovery. Corona may affect heart muscles also, so daily walking is must. Aerobic exercise will provide more oxygen to heart muscle and if any damage to it because of Corona, it will recover fast. If steroids are prescribed post discharge, it increase blood sugar. Exercise controls it.
Caution: Take it slowly. Monitor not only oxygen but also pulse during exercise. Dizziness and palpitation is signal that you are going too fast.
Hi,
Glad to see that you are recovering well. You are right on dot taking it slow and watching out for palpitations and dizziness. That's the right way to go about it. Listen to what our bodies tells us and don't over do it.
Exercise enables faster recovery and improves both your physical and mental well being. People who have sustained cardiac injury due to COVID it's a totally different scenario and stepping up their exercise is not prudent and needs close monitoring. Steroids induced high Blood sugar may not respond to exercise routine. First patients should not be on long term steroids post recovery. A small subset will need gradual deescalation of steroids and such patients are more likely to need insulin shots which won't be for long term.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 12:07   #5524
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Zita for sharing this with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
We greatly appreciate the work you have been doing in sharing valuable auto news with millions.

Service Geni is a Technology services startup in the automobile industry based out of Chennai. We have created a self-sustaining platform, where volunteers can fill in details about the help they can offer on our web page. The same gets displayed on Google Maps so that those in need of help can locate it easily. We have the infrastructure to do this as our business model has a similar structure for the automobile industry.

We request you to visit our COVID help webpage; this way we would be able to help our brothers and sisters suffering from COVID find food and other help in the neighbourhood without hassle.
https://www.servicegeni.in/viral-kindness

Last edited by GTO : 24th May 2021 at 13:53.
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 13:13   #5525
AZT
BHPian

Some good news on the tech front:

Singapore approves Covid breath test that gives results in a minute
Quote:
The breath test achieved more than 90% accuracy in a Singapore-based pilot clinical trial
AZT is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 13:20   #5526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
India has till date vaccinated 11% people with the first dose and only 3% people have got both the doses. My mother got the first vaccine in April and now she has to wait till July to get the second shot since ICMR has delayed the gaps between the shots. Daily inoculations have dropped sharply due to shortages of vaccine but then those are perhaps not that important !!
Considering about 1B are eligible for vaccination, India has done 200M doses till yesterday, the more accurate figures currently are roughly 5% for 2 doses + 13% for a single dose. Priority was given to front line workers, then to the elderly and to people with comorbidities. This is the same pattern followed in US, UK, EU etc.

Like I said earlier too, India is currently at 8th position in G20 countries despite being the poorest in terms of per capita GDP and with thin resources.

Go and read about the vaccine shortage in EU and Canada when they actually funded the BioNTech and Moderna and had the first right to them. Even till now, EU has given the same number of doses to India despite having 1/3rd of our population, being the first world region, starting 2 months before India and with the first right to vaccination.

Please do read more about what is going on in other countries/regions like ASEAN, South American, Mexico, Australia etc. Do check their forums on what their citizens are saying about the current lockdowns and vaccination situation.

I honestly don't know what you are complaining about? Are you asking why didn't we started a vaccination program without testing? Why didn't we gave Moderna/Pfizer when US/EU had first right? Why didn't we produced 100M doses in 1 month when we don't have such capacity for this vaccine?

I don't think you understand it is a miracle that India even got 15% population vaccinated by mid-May including all front line workers and elderly and we will be done with 70% in August. Please read more about how vaccination is going in other countries which are far more resourceful than us.

Quote:
My mother got the first vaccine in April and now she has to wait till July to get the second shot since ICMR has delayed the gaps between the shots.
Just curious, what is wrong with it? especially when scientists and vaccine manufacturers are saying you should wait for 10-12 weeks? Please ask her to stay at home, maintain social distancing and get the vaccination in July which is about just 6 weeks from now.

Quote:
many lives could have been saved if we had started this vaccination program at the right time. Now if someone tells me that 70% of population will get vaccinated by August then I don’t know what to say !!
You can't be serious

You do know there are multiple levels of human testing and approval involved before allowing vaccination? India started its program just 6 weeks after US/UK/EU started where other developing countries and even developed countries like Canada were having a shortage of vaccines.

Thailand which is often rated in the Top 10 in health infrastructure has barely started their vaccination program this week. They are supposed to start in June and will take maybe till October to get their 70% eligible population vaccinated. They have 5% of the population of India. Other ASEAN countries are even less prepared than Thailand. In Australian forums, they are talking about keeping the country locked till mid 2022.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Latest study shows that Covishield efficacy against variant prevalent in India which is B.1.617 is only 33% for first dose. So if you are saying that 70% population gets 1st dose by August then you have to deduct about 2/3rd of these 70% which will mean that in effect only 23% of the 1billion would be protected by August.
Also this study suggests that until you get both doses, for all practical purposes you really are not protected.
Mate, you can count whichever and whatever way you want, makes no difference to the ones who are getting vaccinated

Quote:
So I would suggest that we give importance to data of fully vaccinated people only and not how many got single dose.
Why just stop there?

Since you are talking about "practical purposes', many people have got Covid after two vaccination too. How about only counting those who have enough antibodies + who do not have a poor immune system + those who don't have any comorbidities + those who are only of a certain age group + those who don't work in high touch human interaction environment like sales? Looks pretty practical to me.

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th May 2021 at 15:09. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
how_you_doing is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 16:15   #5527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi,
People who have sustained cardiac injury due to COVID it's a totally different scenario
Doc what are symptoms of cardiac injury related to Covid?

We are getting news about unexplained deaths after taking Corona vaccine for e.g. sad demise of Dr. KK Aggarwal and Laxman. It may be coincidence but the fact remains that this happened after taking vaccine. Do you recommend 'Blood Thinners' as a precautionary measure after taking vaccine?
Old 24th May 2021, 17:15   #5528

Dear doctors,

My mother and father have both tested +ve for COVID. And it's day 8 for them. My father doesn't seem to have any symptoms ( did take 2 doses of Covishield perviously) and mom has a fever (single Covishield dose).. They share a 2bhk flat and my mom is isolated in a single room. And my father is the caregiver at the moment...

I've a question that has bothered me for a while:

Is it ok for my mom and dad to mix currently ? or do we need to have stringent isolation for both?

Many docs that I've contacted so far seem to say they can but happy to seek guidance here.

Thanks.
Old 24th May 2021, 18:01   #5529
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Do you have any hard data to prove that we can cover 70% of the adult population in three months?

Our current production rate(Covishield + Covaxin )is 8 Cr per month. Assuming, we only target single doses first for everyone, it will still take us 6-7 months to hit 70% with single dose of the vaccine. If we have to re-route part of that for second dose for those who got thier first dose in Apr/May, then it will be delayed even further. The maths doesnt add up.

Any capacity expansion and other vaccines ( Sputnik, Pfizer ) will be available only after Aug based on the information in the public domain and even that is not large. I think Sputnik is just 1 Cr per month.
m8002? is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 18:57   #5530
BHPian

Quote:
Doc what are symptoms of cardiac injury related to Covid?
We are getting news about unexplained deaths after taking Corona vaccine for e.g. sad demise of Dr. KK Aggarwal and Laxman. It may be coincidence but the fact remains that this happened after taking vaccine. Do you recommend 'Blood Thinners' as a precautionary measure after taking vaccine?
Hi,
To answer your questions
1. Cardiac injury happens roughly in 30% of critically ill patients and it is reflected both in lab markers and clinical parameters. Very few recovered severe covid patients can develop this after 6 weeks. The symptoms will be apparent such as renewed difficulty in breathing, exertional dyspnea, resting heart rate will be higher, fever. When we exert to regain strength its wise to keep a check on our limits.
2. Certain patients do not sero convert after vaccination and have minimal to no protection against the virus. These are usually elderly with comorbids and if they acquire the infection it is difficult to salvage.
3. Blood thinners are not to be taken unless there is strong indication under any circumstances. Certain subgroup post vaccination especially Covishield in India will need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR0608 View Post
Dear doctors,
I've a question that has bothered me for a while:
Is it ok for my mom and dad to mix currently ? or do we need to have stringent isolation for both?
Many docs that I've contacted so far seem to say they can but happy to seek guidance here.
Thanks.
Hi,
There are specifics which I need to know to give an appropriate response. I could not PM you, if its ok do share your number and I will call you at the earliest.

Last edited by drrajasaravanan : 24th May 2021 at 18:58.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 20:45   #5531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post

3. Blood thinners are not to be taken unless there is strong indication under any circumstances. Certain subgroup post vaccination especially Covishield in India will need it.
Thanks Doc

I didn't understand third point. What do you mean by subgroups? Does Covishield vaccine of India need blood thinners after vaccination?
Old 24th May 2021, 22:17   #5532
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Doc

I didn't understand third point. What do you mean by subgroups? Does Covishield vaccine of India need blood thinners after vaccination?
Hi
There is very few cases, one journal quotes 5 in 138000 vaccinated cases, they have seen clotting of blood within blood vessels with low platelets. It is of concern where 15 and odd nations have changed their preferences or the subset of people. The latest is UK which is offering alternative for Covishield in women younger than 55Y even if they have received first dose of Covishield. There are research going on and this issue has been noticed across Covishield, Johnson and Johnson, Pfizer. Though this is rare and I don't want to generalize but post vaccination if the symptoms persist with greater intensity, longer duration or new unusual symptoms better to involve a primary physician to decide.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 00:41   #5533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Like I said earlier too, India is currently at 8th position in G20 countries despite being the poorest in terms of per capita GDP and with thin resources.

Go and read about the vaccine shortage in EU and Canada when they actually funded the BioNTech and Moderna and had the first right to them. Even till now, EU has given the same number of doses to India despite having 1/3rd of our population, being the first world region, starting 2 months before India and with the first right to vaccination.

I honestly don't know what you are complaining about? Are you asking why didn't we started a vaccination program without testing? Why didn't we gave Moderna/Pfizer when US/EU had first right? Why didn't we produced 100M doses in 1 month when we don't have such capacity for this vaccine?

I don't think you understand it is a miracle that India even got 15% population vaccinated by mid-May including all front line workers and elderly and we will be done with 70% in August. Please read more about how vaccination is going in other countries which are far more resourceful than us.

Just curious, what is wrong with it? especially when scientists and vaccine manufacturers are saying you should wait for 10-12 weeks? Please ask her to stay at home, maintain social distancing and get the vaccination in July which is about just 6 weeks from now.

You do know there are multiple levels of human testing and approval involved before allowing vaccination? India started its program just 6 weeks after US/UK/EU started where other developing countries and even developed countries like Canada were having a shortage of vaccines.

Mate, you can count whichever and whatever way you want, makes no difference to the ones who are getting vaccinated :
Mate, Your eighth rank among G20 countries count for nothing whichever and whatever way you look at it, makes no difference to people who have lost their near and dear ones.

Some facts I am putting here for all to see :

1. Adar Poonawalla, CEO of SII himself said that there were no advance orders from Indian government and that they did not think of augmenting production since they didn’t think they had to produce 1 billion doses !! Indian government ordered just 21 million doses from SII at the end of February without indicating when or if they would order more. We should keep in mind that entire vaccine strategy was centralised. Also, I have highest respect for Adar Poonawalla, he took risk in making the vaccines even when the government didn’t support him financially at all !

2. Then suddenly, India ordered 110 million doses in March when cases started to rise and when India had already exported vaccines to many countries. This is not to say that India has not ordered more vaccines. Of course they have, the SII have also priced the vaccines differently since then, for central government its the lowest price, for states its some more and for private entities, some even more, to be used on people of India. This when the pandemic was raging with its second wave, talk of timing.

3. A country like India where population is huge although my good friend believes we have scarce resources but those scarce resources didn’t become a hindrance in making of statues and grand central vista project. India as a country which is the largest vaccine producer in the world should have thought of its populace and funded SII and Bharat Biotech to accelerate the vaccine production just like US did with the program Operation Warp Speed, where it funded vaccine companies like Moderna to come up with vaccines quickly. Company like Pfizer didn’t take any funding from the US government but still were part of the project to supply vaccines. You see, one should have the empathy for fellow human beings to think of them and their good. The operation resulted in accelerated drug development and results are for all to see. Also, just to add, Operation Warp Speed was officially announced on May 15,2020 and what were we doing- showering flowers on doctors and banging thalis while the migrant labourers died walking. Oh, and by the way, no sane mind would think that vaccines are approved without trials !!

4. The vaccine strategy was centralised but then when shortages became an issue, states were suddenly allowed to order for vaccines. As a result of which some 10-12 states floated global tenders for the import of vaccines( which itself is shameful since India is a powerful global nation) but then the problem struck. Vaccine companies like Moderna and J&J said that they will only deal with Indian Government and not the states. You see, the vaccine strategy lay in tatters now. If the vaccine strategy of the central government was so good, why were the states required to float global tenders ??

5. We were a global superpower until few months back but we have been forced to receive something as basic as oxygen concentrators from countries such as Sri Lanka and Bhutan. Oxygen and medicines, which are taken for granted by people of other countries, we were forced to literally beg for those because people died waiting for oxygen and now we are bragging that it’s diplomacy which has resulted in such help !!

6. You talk of other developed nations, US has administered 86 doses per 100 people and we are doing this to 14 persons. International average is 21 doses per 100 people and we rank 78th in the international list. But then, as you said, I will wait for August to see 70% of people vaccinated and if it happens, then nothing like it. Who wouldn’t want this mayhem to stop, to see bodies not floating in the Ganges, to see people not dying outside hospitals for want of oxygen, to see young people not dying leaving small kids behind but living since they got the vaccines. I will wait..

Also, nothing wrong in my mother getting the second shot of vaccine after 90 days or whatever. Thing is, when the dates keep changing every 15 days then older people become finicky. They start to question not the vaccine program but us poor souls who have to convince them that this is what the government says and that no amount of cajoling helps then

This thread has now got most of my posts starting last year, I think I have to stop it here now lest I am certified by some name that’s in vogue now. Time to return to automobiles

P.S- I haven’t quoted any link since I might be accused of being one eyed but everyone is free to deduce their own judgement after using google as a source and that, we are the largest vaccine producing country in the world, please don’t compare us with ASEAN countries or Australia !!

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 25th May 2021 at 01:06.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 06:16   #5534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This thread has now got most of my posts starting last year, I think I have to stop it here now lest I am certified by some name that’s in vogue now. Time to return to automobiles

P.S- I haven’t quoted any link since I might be accused of being one eyed but everyone is free to deduce their own judgement after using google as a source and that, we are the largest vaccine producing country in the world, please don’t compare us with ASEAN countries or Australia !!
You have made the right choice man. Better to leave it as it is.

Broadly speaking, people pick sample sets based on the outcome they desire.
  1. Sample sets that perform better than Specimen-A.
    1. Identify and fill the gaps.
    2. Identify areas of improvements and implement continuous improvement measures.
    3. It's like Kaizen. Keep improving until they can meet the standards of the identified Sample set or even out perform it.
  2. Sample sets that perform worse than Specimen-A.
    1. Prove that this is the best Specimen-A could have ever done considering the constraints.
    2. Identify how Specimen-A is so much more better than the worse ones.
    3. It's like patting oneself in the back and asking people to be grateful for the achievements.
The world's capital of excuses has pretty much been choosing Sample set# 2 for most things and it is getting even worse. Ask any rational question and people go, "Have you seen how others have been so worse off?". At this rate, one-day comparisons may be done with Zimbabwe or Venezuela.
kiku007 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 15:41   #5535
BHPian

If you are looking for COVID related OXYGEN BEDS or ICU beds in TAMILNADU this website might come in handy. https://tncovidbeds.netlify.app

The Coronavirus Thread-findcovidbedsnearyou.png

You can search for a hospital anywhere in TN
You can check bed status in your district every day.
You can check hospitals near you in a map
you can share a hospital with someone via whatsapp.

Hope it helps someone in need.

Full disclosure: We have been helping few people get beds in our family and friends circle. Found that many dont know about TNEGA efforts in updating bed status twice a day. Thought a simple UI could help reduce the time taken to search through the hospitals. So asked a friend of mine to give it a try and he did this in a couple of days. He lost his dad to Covid last year. We all hope this helps someone in need. He has contacted the TNEGA and explained the website's purpose and mentioned it is free. Yet to get a reply. Feel free to share it with anyone in need.

Regards
Dev
irdevanand is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed