Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2021, 08:58   #5476
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Isn't it what @V.Narayanan saying? That if we could do such large scale polio program for a disease that is hardly affecting a handful of kids, how come we are struggling so much with covid vaccination program?

All the constraints you pointed out are silly. It is not due to lack of special storage equipment or trained medical staff etc that we are facing this issue. And we are a vaccine manufacturing powerhouse!

?
Manufacturing COVID vaccine is not straightforward. This article is instructive. https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/...9.article?s=08
bhushan08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 09:00   #5477
Distinguished - BHPian

All major democracies in the world made advance orders for the vaccines in August 2020, India was perhaps the only major country which did not, not even after the two homemade vaccines were approved. Don’t want to add further anything at all !!

The result is so many unavoidable deaths and almost complete destruction of economy. But then, all is well !!

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 22nd May 2021 at 09:03.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 09:08   #5478
BHPian

Karnataka extends lockdown till June 7. Some districts are under complete lockdown where even grocery stores are not allowed to open. These jokers have no idea of what they are doing. As per order, vegetables are to be sold on hand carts door to door. Let these officials push a handcart for 100 metres without sweating, they'll understand the pain of these poor sellers. Instead of enforcing Masks & Social distancing, these idiots come up with such ridiculous ideas. They don't want people to use their vehicles. Do these ministers/officials walk to work? Also, I can't understand why hardware shops have been shut. Shouldn't they be under essential services? If something like a Water pump/borewell/pipes go wrong, how are we supposed to repair them during the lockdown? No planning, no discussion, nothing. Just keep extending lockdown and push more people into poverty!
CarNerd is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 09:13   #5479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have access to the meeting notes of PMO where they offered 30K cr to vaccine manufactures across the world to procure timely supplies of vaccine and the suppliers said they won't be able to?
If we had to reduce intensity of second wave, we had to vaccinate 60% by March. The vaccination started in India by Jan 16. So with in 2.5 months we had to manufacture/procure 160 crore doses. 64 crore doses per month.

The total doses provided all over the world is approx. 160 crore doses as on today. So from where could we procure such astronomical number of vaccines. Even if we had given the vaccine IP to all vaccine makes in India, 1.6B doses in 3 months is simply not practical.

I have no PMO note, but do you have one which shows Govt rejected bids from vaccine makers to provide millions of vaccines purposefully.
poloman is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 09:34   #5480
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
All major democracies in the world made advance orders for the vaccines in August 2020, India was perhaps the only major country which did not, not even after the two homemade vaccines were approved. Don’t want to add further anything at all !!

The result is so many unavoidable deaths and almost complete destruction of economy. But then, all is well !!
Perhaps govt knew that advance order do not mean availability of same. We always forget the SII is doing contract manufacturing for AZ & it is bound to honor the commitments made by AZ to various countries.

Rest for your Argument, below article do explains a lot as why vaccine advance orders do not ensure its full supply

https://swarajyamag.com/ideas/how-to...and-how-not-to
.sushilkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 09:39   #5481
BHPian

Vaccine doses administered worldwide country-wise.

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20210522093536_chrome.jpg

This is the actual data. Please feel free to make your own interpretations as per your own pre-conceived biases :-).

Last edited by DigitalOne : 22nd May 2021 at 09:58.
DigitalOne is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 09:44   #5482
BANNED

Quote:
All the constraints you pointed out are silly. It is not due to lack of special storage equipment or trained medical staff etc that we are facing this issue. And we are a vaccine manufacturing powerhouse!
Logistics plays a major role in any vaccination program. Polio program was successful as it involved just administering 2 drops to the kids and there was no hesitancy from anywhere. It was run by asha workers without affecting the medical staff in hospitals and there was no need to track anywhere.

With Covid, situation is different & logistics are huge. Each dose post administration need monitoring which means u cannot administer on the fly. Not every body is trained to handle syringes & their proper disposal. Tracking each individual & ensuring they get the second dose on time is another challenge.

Asha workers are not trained to handle syringes. You need a qualified nurse to do that. Obviously they are needed in hospital as well which are filled to full capacity.

Another challenge is politics and bureaucracy which i don't want to put on this thread.
.sushilkumar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 09:46   #5483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Perhaps govt knew that advance order do not mean availability of same. We always forget the SII is doing contract manufacturing for AZ & it is bound to honor the commitments made by AZ to various countries.

Rest for your Argument, below article do explains a lot as why vaccine advance orders do not ensure its full supply

https://swarajyamag.com/ideas/how-to...and-how-not-to
Aah Yes, we are the only smart country out there !! And regarding your link, I don’t read articles from one eyed publications.

I can’t believe people are still defending the no vaccine strategy which has resulted in so many deaths and continues to do so !!!

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 22nd May 2021 at 09:49.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 09:51   #5484
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Aah Yes, we are the only smart country out there !! And regarding your link, I don’t read articles from one eyed publications.
Glad you agree that we are the only smart country there. As for publication goes, they have put numbers there with source of each number citing authentic records. Still better than some famous journalist.

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd May 2021 at 17:41. Reason: Edited to avoid off-topic discussions. Thank you!
.sushilkumar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 10:11   #5485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post

Asha workers are not trained to handle syringes. You need a qualified nurse to do that...
Questions for doctors:

I have wondered about this. If diabetics can dose themselves with insulin, why can't health workers be trained to give injections? Also, there used to be high pressure vaccine guns (don't recall where I read this) that painlessly inject vaccines - why aren't they being used in this case?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_injector

Last edited by mvadg : 22nd May 2021 at 10:13.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 10:23   #5486
Team-BHP Support

One of my friend who is running a hospital and has dedicated covid center suggested yesterday that people who have recovered, should not do anything strenuous / physically demanding for ~3 months. Especially the ones who had lung infection and have underwent HRCT to verify.

What is the opinion of other doctors on this?
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 10:45   #5487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
One of my friend who is running a hospital and has dedicated covid center suggested yesterday that people who have recovered, should not do anything strenuous / physically demanding for ~3 months. Especially the ones who had lung infection and have underwent HRCT to verify.

My doctor said the same and I had the same symptoms as well. The thing is, I have lost quite an amount of weight as well and the weakness even after recovering will take some time to go too. Strenuous exercise and running is a complete no no for me for the next few months and I suppose your friend is saying the same. This I have confirmed with multiple doctor friends too.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 22nd May 2021 at 11:04.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 11:57   #5488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
... people who have recovered, should not do anything strenuous / physically demanding for ~3 months. Especially the ones who had lung infection and have underwent HRCT to verify.

I would be highly interested in knowing the professional opinion about this.

I recovered about a week ago. My symptoms were high fever for 3 days, and then cough, weakness and body ache. My HRCT score on the 6th day of symptoms was 2/25, so little bit of lung involvement at that point. Didn't take any steroids and recovered at home.

I have resumed running since a week and though I am not able to match my pre covid distance or pace yet, but it is okayish nevertheless.

Should I avoid running? I thought this will help fix any damage that may be present in my lungs.

Last edited by himarg : 22nd May 2021 at 11:58. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 22nd May 2021, 12:05   #5489
BHPian

Hi,

Need some advice on tests. My folks tested positive for corona on 21st April they recovered after 14 days but have weakness and fatigue. They were put on steroids and blood thinners since that time all the hospitals were full and doctor did not want to take chances. I wanted to know by when should we get their blood tests like CRP, platelets, RBC, WBC done?
Old 22nd May 2021, 12:06   #5490
BHPian

Many thanks to the Doctors, who have been sharing valuable insights, providing online guidance and dispelling misconceptions on this thread - all while working crazy hours at a great risk to their own health and safety.

Special thanks to @drrajasaravanan who took the time to councel me when I was in a difficult situation regarding my Covid positive status and my father's ongoing treatment. I am grateful for your timely advice Doctor, we are all safe and doing okay now.
himarg is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks