Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2021, 18:49   #5431
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_max View Post
Is there any risk if someone gets vaccinated with 30 or 45 days of getting infected doc? Since vaccine availability has become a problem many people are in panic and want to get vaccinated if a chance arises via a local Municipal camp or workplace even though they were infected and recovered recently.
Hi,
You can get the vaccine after complete recovery from COVID preferably 30 days to 60 days after recovery. Only people who have received monoclonal antibodies or Plasma have to wait for 3months. As of early May the recommendation to get vaccination post covid has not changed. ICMR recommends to wait 6 months after recovery which I strongly believe is to fill the demand supply ratio. So if you have access getting the vaccine would help.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 18:55   #5432
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there any further research on how long the antibodies last or how their count goes over time? Do we really need booster doses every year?
Old 19th May 2021, 19:06   #5433
Team-BHP Support

A friend/colleague who wasn’t infected with covid and has not taken the vaccination gave his antibody IgG test.

The results showed a value of 2.62 for antibody IgG and 5.21 for antibody total suggesting he has developed antibodies and at one point, may have been an asymptomatic carrier and showed zero symptoms.

The Coronavirus Thread-93d1cc89a6234a05a4fc9fa88d4d2c0b.jpeg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th May 2021 at 19:21.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 19:31   #5434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Any info from doctors about the 2 DG medicine from DRDO? Who needs it and how effective is it? I read it can replace Remdesivir at less cost and be more effective. When it will become available?
With so much information coming out, for evidence based evidence one can follow Dr Ashish Jha from Brown University, Dr Madhukar Pai at Macgill University and Dr Bhramar Mukherjee from the University of Michigan. All the above, while working abroad are well aware of our situation. There is a lot of hoopla about drugs, which actually show some benefit in specific conditions only and many not at all.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th May 2021 at 06:26. Reason: Attachment deleted as the same image has been included in Post #5430
Old 19th May 2021, 21:42   #5435
BHPian

Every doctor and every govt is recommending Covid vaccines but with every disclaimer possible i.e. no guarantee that covid can be prevented or even guarantees regarding the seriousness of Covid disease. Also these people are saying to practice all Covid preventive protocols.
Also we are seeing deaths of doctors who were fully vaccinated but these deaths are explained as exceptions.
So my question is how come these Covid vaccines are so different from other vaccines like small pox, Polio or Rabies which are also virus induced diseases?
neeraj0272 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 22:48   #5436
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
So my question is how come these Covid vaccines are so different from other vaccines like small pox, Polio or Rabies which are also virus induced diseases?
I'm sure that many of us have this question. Perhaps it is my wrong impression that many of my vaccinations (flu not included) have left me pretty sure that I will not catch that disease.

That is where our expectation of covid vaccination began. Give or take the percentage efficacy, and a handful of conditions that would render it infective.

In any case, I am still glad to have got what I have, and am open to many more vaccinations in the future. Just curious.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 23:42   #5437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Is there any further research on how long the antibodies last or how their count goes over time? Do we really need booster doses every year?
I can tell from my case. I had Covid with mild symptoms(fever) in October. I checked recently in April, and got IGg value 14.
Caffeinated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 00:07   #5438
BHPian

Quote:
Every doctor and every govt is recommending Covid vaccines but with every disclaimer possible i.e. no guarantee that covid can be prevented or even guarantees regarding the seriousness of Covid disease. Also these people are saying to practice all Covid preventive protocols.
Also we are seeing deaths of doctors who were fully vaccinated but these deaths are explained as exceptions.
I am probably not well versed to talk about this subject, but thought of shedding whatever little knowledge I have gathered from others. I doubt none of the vaccines have 100 percent efficacy. Probably polio vaccination has the highest efficacy after multiple booster doses are administered. If I am not wrong, Rabies vaccination is administered only to those have had exposures to it or have risk of exposure. I don't think the vaccination is administered as a preventive measure to everyone otherwise. Also, preventive vaccinations are generally administered at a very young age, and this provides greater immunity against diseases. This might be one of the rarest of rare cases, the situation is such that people of all age groups have to be vaccinated, with elderly being the top priority.

And why the protocols?
1. As already said, the efficacy is not even close to 100 percent or even 90 percent for most of the vaccines.
2. The reports suggest that the vaccines can reduce the severity or the fatality rate drastically. But, even a vaccinated person can be a carrier just like an unvaccinated asymptomatic carrier.
3. Mode of transmission warrants these protocols. As we all know, majority of the population is still unvaccinated.

Stay safe

Last edited by Emvi : 20th May 2021 at 00:15. Reason: Reframed a sentence for better readability
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 00:27   #5439
BANNED

Quote:
That's because covid virus is fast mutating one compared to rabies, polio etc so covid vaacine wont be that effective as other vaccines.
Doctors can correct me if wrong.
Old 20th May 2021, 02:11   #5440
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
i.e. no guarantee that covid can be prevented or even guarantees regarding the seriousness of Covid disease.
This is incorrect. Vaccines offer almost complete protection and the few deaths that we see are outliers. US, UK etc. are all opening up and there is no longer a mask mandate for those vaccinated.

As for carriers, there is not much study on this but I believe there is low probability vaccinated people can transmit. We should see more research on this soon.
Old 20th May 2021, 02:18   #5441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
If I am not wrong, Rabies vaccination is administered only to those have had exposures to it or have risk of exposure. I don't think the vaccination is administered as a preventive measure to everyone otherwise.
You are sort-of wrong. And sort-of right. It is given to people who have not been exposed.

Briefly, as this is not a rabies thread, there is a pre-exposure course and a post exposure course. If you have had the pre-exposure course, and annual boosters, then an exposure means a course of three jabs post exposure. If not, then you need a course of five.

I should not have have forgotten this one: had three bites and three courses over the years!

So loosely speaking (there's more, if you haven't had pre-exposure and a badly bitten) it prevents the disease, But not on a get-it-and-forget-it basis.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 08:42   #5442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You are sort-of wrong. And sort-of right. It is given to people who have not been exposed.

Briefly, as this is not a rabies thread, there is a pre-exposure course and a post exposure course. If you have had the pre-exposure course, and annual boosters, then an exposure means a course of three jabs post exposure. If not, then you need a course of five.
You are right. This is exactly what I meant. Rabies vaccine is not administered to each to everyone like the ones we have all had in our childhood and like the one (COVID-19 vaccine) we are all going to shortly (if not already administered).

Quote:
I should not have have forgotten this one: had three bites and three courses over the years!
3 bites? tough luck indeed!
But I must say you are a tough man for sure
Old 20th May 2021, 08:49   #5443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm sure that many of us have this question. Perhaps it is my wrong impression that many of my vaccinations (flu not included) have left me pretty sure that I will not catch that disease.

That is where our expectation of covid vaccination began. Give or take the percentage efficacy, and a handful of conditions that would render it infective.

In any case, I am still glad to have got what I have, and am open to many more vaccinations in the future. Just curious.
A few questions:
>>>
In the same manner, it seems even that even a full infection with the SARS-COV2 and falling ill with the virus, recovering from the virus, does not give "good" immunity against falling ill again. At the same time there are people who are asymptomatic with the virus in their bodies! Does anyone have any explanation for this behavior of this (or any other) virus and the human body /immune system?

>>>
What is the role of INSACOG? Are they really finding significant mutants in India, or is it that the virus in its normal course of transmission is transforming and this is being interpreted by interested parties as a new strain? Is there a standard (scientific) process by which a mutant is declared a new strain?
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 08:56   #5444
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

My 2 cents :

What is often overlooked , w.r.t vaccines, is that there are two angles to it :
- physiological effectiveness across the human "pool" with all the fine-grained genetic variants (race) across homo sapiens
- statistical "infected over a period or not" yes/no scoreboard across a spatial/temporal collection/mix of people within/across a geography ; which leaves the "social behavior" of test subjects to randomness (or is it really random, when people know that they are test subjects) before ascertaining the infected/not statistical data

It's nearly impossible for a layman to sieve out one aspect from the other, when he is trying to "evaluate" a vaccine, based on what he comes across in the media/science-journal-publications. It's a blend of these two factors.

Hence, there is no way to know, for a layman (who will belong to one of the races/geographies) to "definitely know" anything about a vaccine, other than to believe in the words of the people who he thinks are authorities/experts on the subject. Vaccination is a leap of faith, placing trust in the expertise of other humans. The same leap of faith when one undergoes anaesthasia for an impending surgery (nobody questions those doctors/surgeons with one final "are you really sure" Q before getting ready to be operated upon). The same leap of faith when one is about to board a plane ("have they checked everything, because if something goes wrong, it's a straight fall to death").
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 15:26   #5445
BHPian

Covid-19 death rates similar globally, lowest in India.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...y-2305008.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks