Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2020, 01:29   #4021
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Even the so called mutant strain seems overhyped. People are making merry all day till 11 pm as if it's just another (holi)day and here we are!
It is because of this attitude that India will never control this virus till 100 percent vaccination is done. People running the governments in developed countries are not fools and they know when a risk is real. No one would ban christmas or new year celebrations without a reason.

In India, just seeing the number of people wearing masks below the nose makes me afraid. I might recover from covid but the elderly in my family would not.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 08:25   #4022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
It is because of this attitude that India will never control this virus till 100 percent vaccination is done. People running the governments in developed countries are not fools and they know when a risk is real. No one would ban christmas or new year celebrations without a reason.

In India, just seeing the number of people wearing masks below the nose makes me afraid. I might recover from covid but the elderly in my family would not.
Our active cases are down from around 10 lakhs to 2.7 lakhs. Positivity rate is down to around 2.1%. Fatality rate, including for those above 60 years of age, is significantly down. All this, inspite of social distancing norms thrown to the winds. Compliance will reduce even further due to improving numbers I mentioned above - as people started realizing that unnecessary panic was created. Hotels and resorts are totally sold out, FYI.

Yes, developed countries have suffered badly. There are multiple possible reasons for that, a separate topic in itself. So it doesn't necessarily mean that we follow them and their panic blindly. We need to make our own analysis.

Yes, anything can happen going forward. That is the cliche about life in general, so let's get that out of the way. So what are the reasons for your pessimism, and saying that our attitude is a problem?
PearlJam is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 09:00   #4023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Our active cases are down from around 10 lakhs to 2.7 lakhs. Positivity rate is down to around 2.1%. Fatality rate, including for those above 60 years of age, is significantly down. All this, inspite of social distancing norms thrown to the winds. Compliance will reduce even further due to improving numbers I mentioned above - as people started realizing that unnecessary panic was created. Hotels and resorts are totally sold out, FYI.
Diwali, Final year college classes, multiple state and local body elections, entrance exams, farmer protests all these were supposed to be the super spreader events, but nothing of the sort happened.

People are reading too much of UK/US sourced media and panicking in India whereas the reality here is quite different.
DigitalOne is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 11:33   #4024
Senior - BHPian

Indian Express reports 90% of all Covid beds in Government Hospitals are vacant. I also saw the fresh cases in TN come down to three digits yesterday after a long time.

Another report says on Monday when suburban train services were increased to 70% of pre covid frequency, station platforms and trains were full of people. SR says they will increase to 100% in a few weeks after which it will become better.

At least these trains have open doors and windows, unlike metro trains. But I am not going anywhere near a public transport for now, nor will allow any other family member to use them. For now I am glad to be their chauffeur wherever they want to go.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 14:44   #4025
BHPian

Have people noticed yourself or your friends and family becoming paranoid about Covid?

I had a chat with a friend of mine on whatsapp and he mentioned that in his apartment complex, they had decided to get the building painted sometime in early 2020 and those plans had been put on hold citing Covid and the shutdown. Now that things are trying to come back to normal, they have initiated the painting work - the painters were supposed to paint the balcony of his house so my friend moved his wife and two kids (about 8 and 12) to their relative's house to avoid exposure!

He also mentioned that he reads the news papers a day later i.e., today's paper is read tomorrow to prevent exposure to any coronavirus that might be hanging around on the newspaper.

i couldn't believe what I had read. I tried to suggest that he take a short drive with his family in his car to some nearby open space (not a resort kinda thing) and get some fresh air but he's insisting that the only time he will step out/socialize is when he and his family have had the vaccine.

I'm worried for the mental health of my friend and his family. I don't think this is sustainable for any length of time.
pandey.jai is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 18:46   #4026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Isn't this thread getting overhyped, boring, repetitive and really nowhere now? Or is it just me? Even the so called mutant strain seems overhyped. People are making merry all day till 11 pm as if it's just another (holi)day and here we are!
It is your decision that the new strain in UK is "overyped." I suggest that you have no evidence for that at all, except for wishful thinking.

I wish the same thing! But every such development presents a possible danger. Getting complacent now is just dangerous to self and others.

Quote:
Especially when they are a politician who is desperate to get some popularity.
Quote:
Makes me nervous too. They might just as well leave the thing at home for all the good it is doing.

There is still a lot that is not understood about this wretched virus, and one thing is India's currently-improving situation. I so, so much hope that this improvement goes on to be the boring news! We can't get enough of that covid news.

Does it mean we can shrug off covid now? Before vaccination? Some will think so: I don't.

When an army is winning a battle, do they relax? No. Let us not relax either.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 15:29   #4027
Distinguished - BHPian

Was driving through North Karnataka a couple of weeks ago. Passed through a couple of villages and stayed for a couple of days at a small town. Also have been staying in South Goa for the past couple of months and now am back home in Bangalore for a week to avoid the madness that Goa beaches become over the New Year Day period (irrespective of Covid or not, crowds turn me off!)

Now I'm certainly not qualified to say that the situation is improving or not, overall.

But what strikes me is the huge discrepancy between what is being discussed on this thread and the ground reality. No one outside the cities (and here too it's mainly because the cops are going around fining people without masks and imposing random curfews) seems to care anymore about Covid, forget 'new strain', 'mutant strain', UV lights, hand sanitizer, whatever. The town I was at in North Karnataka, the three of us were literally the only people on a very, very crowded area who were wearing masks.

Again, I'm not qualified to draw any medical conclusions. Perhaps the situation is improving for real. Or perhaps the Covid case stats are being suppressed in these palces- I don't know. But I can certainly say that the way any new Covid-related development is reported in the media (and I too would use the word 'hyped' there!) and the way it is dissected on this thread is certainly not reflective of the reality in these places (and, I suspect, in the majority of towns and places in India)!

Last edited by am1m : 31st December 2020 at 15:33.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 16:06   #4028
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
No one outside the cities (and here too it's mainly because the cops are going around fining people without masks and imposing random curfews) seems to care anymore about Covid, forget 'new strain', 'mutant strain', UV lights, hand sanitizer, whatever. The town I was at in North Karnataka, the three of us were literally the only people on a very, very crowded area who were wearing masks.
I know... last Sunday we were at Mulbagal, walking in the street and my family was practical the only one wearing masks properly. Some did have masks, stuck firmly under their chin.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 16:39   #4029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No one outside the cities ..!
From what I hear, this has been the case for the past few months. There have been some deaths, but people have been such. Even here in Bangalore, I have moved around a bit during these months (though with precautions), most people have had a mask as part of attire and not for protection. Only now after BBMP is enforcing it through their marshalls that people are showing some efforts.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 17:26   #4030
BHPian

Quote:
But I can certainly say that the way any new Covid-related development is reported in the media (and I too would use the word 'hyped' there!) and the way it is dissected on this thread is certainly not reflective of the reality in these places (and, I suspect, in the majority of towns and places in India)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I know... last Sunday we were at Mulbagal, walking in the street and my family was practical the only one wearing masks properly. Some did have masks, stuck firmly under their chin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
From what I hear, this has been the case for the past few months. There have been some deaths, but people have been such. Even here in Bangalore, I have moved around a bit during these months (though with precautions), most people have had a mask as part of attire and not for protection. Only now after BBMP is enforcing it through their marshalls that people are showing some efforts.

One reason for that is that people are recovering. After talking to many folks over these last 9 months and seeing their changing attitude/seriousness/fearfulness of this virus - it is the fact that many are recovering after a few days of isolation + care or hospitalization. Those who have died due to covid-19 are largely the ones who have some other major condition. As a percentage - very few with no prior health issues have died due to covid-19. I personally know a few Sr Citizens with issues such as Diabeties, BP and other common conditions recovering well after about 15 days or so.

Though I would personally still not take it lightly for my own family as there are more vulnerable folks at home than me. But this is one reason why people are now less mindful of social distancing and wearing masks.
sunilch is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 17:52   #4031
BHPian

Quote:
Went to King Koti a few weeks back (market for motorcycle accessories, etc in the middle of Hyderabad) to get a backrest affixed to my bike's seat.

Nine out of ten people in the market weren't wearing masks. And by not wearing masks I don't mean they were wearing it on their chin, I mean there was no mask at all.

This was my first (and will be the last) visit to a market (that wasn't selling groceries, etc) and I simply couldn't understand what was going on. No masks, no hand sanitizer, no distancing - it felt like someone had turned back time.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 18:00   #4032
BHPian

Quote:
Was driving through North Karnataka a couple of weeks ago.
Returned from Dharwad/Belgaum yesterday after staying there for a few days.

Quite a few of the folks do wear masks but compared to Bengaluru, a sizable population is not even bothered about the virus, it appears. Family stayed in a village and the relatives were busy with Gram panchayat election campaigning the entire day visiting houses across the village. Though they wore masks, the people who visit the house cannot be 'forced' to wear one in these villages. Folks told me the 'cases' were zero now - I nodded my head in agreement

Last edited by AltoLXI : 31st December 2020 at 18:09.
AltoLXI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 19:27   #4033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
One reason for that is that people are recovering. .
The attitude has been there since a little after the lock-down was lifted in late May. It's not a new development. I have been following the situation through out these months. And as cases increased in rural areas, reputed hospitals were un-officially reported to not accept corona patients. But those that died in hospitals, had a tough time with release of the bodies.

Last edited by condor : 31st December 2020 at 19:29.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 09:44   #4034
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-1...ks-11609329603

"Covid-19 Was Consuming India, Until Nearly Everyone Started Wearing Masks"
-----------------------------

Wow, I mean, I am astonished by this sort of reporting from a publication that is as reputed as WSJ!

Obviously there is no question that wearing masks is required and effective, and certainly the government is doing a good job now with spreading the message and whatever mask-wearing enforcement they can. And more people are surely masking up.

But to claim in an article like this that 'nearly everyone in India is wearing masks' is so out of touch with the ground reality! And to claim that is the reason things are improving is really a stretch.

Shows how quickly the media only want to connect things and publish without doing any real research and without a clue about what is really going on!

Last edited by am1m : 1st January 2021 at 09:45.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 12:13   #4035
BHPian

Even back in August, my cousin and I had been on a drive to KRS backwaters and surroundings. Passed through many villages and towns.

Among all the local residents and tourists, only the two of us looked like idiots wearing masks .
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks