Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 11:33   #4066
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

^^ If it is a government approved and administered vaccine, they can't refuse.
Old 8th January 2021, 18:29   #4067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ If it is a government approved and administered vaccine, they can't refuse.
Are you sure there is no Corona rider that I need to buy additionally?
Old 8th January 2021, 18:57   #4068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Are you sure there is no Corona rider that I need to buy additionally?
If it helps, I just renewed my Health Insurance last week (ported from Max Bupa to Bajaj Allianz) and had it confirmed twice on the recorded line - once by the Sales Rep and 2nd time during verification call - there are no separate riders for Covid-19 as far as claims are concerned. You need to go through the normal process that you would for other illness, and the same inclusions & exclusions apply.

Infact, most of the health insurance vendors have dedicated Covid-19 sections updated on their websites which will clear most of your doubts.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 16:21   #4069
BHPian

Quote:
"People would not have the option of making a choice between the two available COVID-19 vaccines – Covishield and Covaxin – when the rollout starts on January 16, Union Health Secretary Rajesh Bhushan said at a press conference on Tuesday."
https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le33560068.ece
But why? I would like to know what is being injected into my system and to refuse if I don't trust it, don't I?

I surely don't trust the Indian vaccine (Covaxin?) for obvious reasons. Why we are being made guinea pigs for this experiment? They should at least let us get the vaccine of our choice if we pay for it.

I am really hoping the private hospitals would get the option to import the Pfizer vaccine and administer to people who like to have them.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 17:53   #4070
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
But why? I would like to know what is being injected into my system and to refuse if I don't trust it, don't I?
That could be because of sheer logistics of transporting and making available at the point of injection 276 crore injections {2 per person in India} and ensuring the person receives both injections of the same kind.
Quote:
I surely don't trust the Indian vaccine (Covaxin?) for obvious reasons. Why we are being made guinea pigs for this experiment? They should at least let us get the vaccine of our choice if we pay for it.
Is that a personal view or are you stating this bias based on some hard data you have?
Quote:
I am really hoping the private hospitals would get the option to import the Pfizer vaccine and administer to people who like to have them.
It is quite likely that after the first 3 to 6 months the vaccine will be available on payment through private hospitals and you can pick your choice. Bear in mind countries such as USA, Canada among others have blocked out more of the Pfizer & other vaccines than their total population. In Canada's case 2X of what they need!!
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 17:56   #4071
BHPian

Quote:

I surely don't trust the Indian vaccine (Covaxin?) for obvious reasons.
I share your concerns about Covaxin, but are you in the high risk category (either by profession or due to age/comorbidity) who are going to be vaccinated first? If not, then you probably won't be among the first few hundred million who get it courtesy the government.

Adar Poonawala has said that the open market price of Covishield will be around 1000 rupees, so hopefully that will be available to the non high-risk public in a few months. I hope we will also hear about any adverse effects or inefficacy of Covaxin by then.

I would also like to be able to choose the the Pfizer or Moderna shot if possible. Fingers crossed one of them will be approved and available soon.
RadixLecti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 19:12   #4072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

I don't think this virus spreads as rapidly from humans to humans as it is made out to be.
Well, the virus does seem to decrease the speed of spread as soon as central gvt subsidy to states is taken out.
In that sense, I think it is directly proportional
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 19:27   #4073
BHPian

Quote:
But why? I would like to know what is being injected into my system.... They should at least let us get the vaccine of our choice if we pay for it.
Choice is not there only for the initial/free phase of innovation for the frontline medical workers. Once open market sales start, you will have the choice.
Old 13th January 2021, 19:33   #4074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
That could be because of sheer logistics of transporting and making available at the point of injection 276 crore injections {2 per person in India} and ensuring the person receives both injections of the same kind.
Maybe more because, given a choice practically everybody would pass on Covaxin.
Quote:
Is that a personal view or are you stating this bias based on some hard data you have?
It's because there is no data. There is no phase 3 trial data available, nor any word on efficacy. The other dead-virus-based vaccine made in Brazil seems to have an efficacy rate of 50%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadixLecti View Post
I share your concerns about Covaxin, but are you in the high risk category (either by profession or due to age/comorbidity) who are going to be vaccinated first?
I have comorbid conditions, but I am not keen on getting in the queue anytime soon. But we have senior citizens at home whom I want to get vaccinated ASAP, but no way am letting them get them Covaxin shots
Quote:
I would also like to be able to choose the the Pfizer or Moderna shot if possible. Fingers crossed one of them will be approved and available soon.
Am hoping for that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Choice is not there only for the initial/free phase of innovation for the frontline medical workers. Once open market sales start, you will have the choice.
Fingers crossed.
dragonfire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 10:30   #4075
BHPian

Norway reports deaths of 23 elderly soon after receiving Pfizer vaccine, launches probe

Quote:
The Norwegian Institute of Public Health has now issued caution against vaccinating the elderly people above 80 years saying those with a short remaining lifespan anyway, may not greatly benefit from the vaccine, reported Bloomberg.
Source: India Today
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 15:44   #4076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Norway reports deaths of 23 elderly soon after receiving Pfizer vaccine
It reminds me of the tale of the young child who had a seizure, first time, five minutes before due to get a vaccine: imagine what might have happened if it had been five minutes after. Source, some medical professor, I think, don't recall. Even if it didn't actually happen, the point is valid.

Of course... post-covid-vaccine deaths should be investigated. Approaching 70, I am deeply interested in the results of the investigation! Although I doubt the the Pfizer vaccine will come my way anyway.

The problem is that died after vaccination is the bit that the masses, especially the whatsapp masses, will remember: not the result of the investigations.

However... My wife is very unwilling to be a vaccine early adopter. Only this morning I was saying to her, "it's not going to kill you!"

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 16th January 2021 at 15:45.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 20:39   #4077
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe more because, given a choice practically everybody would pass on Covaxin.
That is your assumption. We do not fully know till several thousands have been vaccinated with Covaxin and the side effects studied

Quote:
It's because there is no data. There is no phase 3 trial data available, nor any word on efficacy. The other dead-virus-based vaccine made in Brazil seems to have an efficacy rate of 50%.
Time to get full and thorough testing done will be counted in years not months. That applies as much to Pfizer as to Oxford as to Covaxin.

Quote:
Norway reports deaths of 23 elderly soon after receiving Pfizer vaccine, launches probe
Unless we know 23 out of how many elderly we cant say anything. We cant even establish a co-relation. Typical WhatsApp University. 23 out of 23,000 elderly could be pure coincidence. 23 out of 23 is something worth investigating very thoroughly.

I intend to get myself vaccinated in the first two months. Early enough and yet enough time to see the early side effects.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 21:01   #4078
BHPian

Quote:

Unless we know 23 out of how many elderly we cant say anything. We cant even establish a co-relation.
That's true. I now realized that the link in my post was broken. Apologies for that.
Here is another link to the story .

Quote:
In a worrying development, 23 elderly people died within a short time of receiving their first coronavirus vaccine shots in Norway. However, there is no confirmation yet if there is direct correlation between the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 jab and these deaths.

Although a direct correlation between the Pfizer jab and these deaths is yet to be established, experts have said that 13 out of 23 people who died showed common side effects of mRNA vaccines such as diarrhea, nausea and fever.
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 22:56   #4079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Time to get full and thorough testing done will be counted in years not months. That applies as much to Pfizer as to Oxford as to Covaxin
This is the bit of your post that I don't agree with. Tests that are accepted as being "phase 3" (don't ask me to define that! But I think it relates to a large enough double-blind test to be able to predict efficacy) have been done on other vaccines. Correct me if wrong: the ones that are waving percentage flags have done phase three: it is what is not known for the ones that are not because they have not.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 23:05   #4080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This is the bit of your post that I don't agree with. Tests that are accepted as being "phase 3" (don't ask me to define that! But I think it relates to a large enough double-blind test to be able to predict efficacy) have been done on other vaccines. Correct me if wrong: the ones that are waving percentage flags have done phase three: it is what is not known for the ones that are not because they have not.
I read it is in tens of thousands, the lowest acceptable number being ten thousand. I don't remember where.

Covaxin is currently in phase 3 trials, results of which will be known by later part of February. But it has been established as very safe in the phase 2 trials, and also as effective, just the % of efficacy is not known as of now. And that is what makes me reluctant to take it as compared to the Covid shield vaccine.

What if I take it, and then efficacy is established as 55%? It will be a waste of time.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks