Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2021, 13:05   #4396
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
What does this mean, explain please. Is there a source?
Heard of the saying 'bolting the barn door after the horse has escaped'?

We're intentionally holding mass gatherings for multiple reasons, all immaterial to the pandemic (unless it declared its political and religious affiliations while I wasn't paying attention), and these events will likely be followed with restrictions because 'citizenry is too irresponsible'.

Restrictions manipulated as a matter of convenience are no better than having none at all.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th April 2021 at 13:06.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 14:18   #4397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
I have a question for doctors around here.
COVID helpline lady told me that why you tested on 13th day. 2nd time testing should only be done after 14 days.

Now my question here is:
Should I get tested my self again (as 14 days are over now)
or
Isolate again for 14 days and take medicines again?
Not a Doctor but from personal experience with many people in close circle/ office staff, it's quite possible that you remain positive even after 14 Days.

You can continue Vitamins/ supplements, but we can avoid any other medicines.

If you can afford to Quarantine, better get a new test done after 18 or 20 days but if you have some pressing needs to go out, you can try again in a day or so.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 14:19   #4398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I carried 2 ionizers and a UVC air purifier to every hospital waiting room full of covidiots of all age and range of excuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
What are those gadgets near her feet and how do they help?
The large one is Air purifier, cylindrical one is car charger socket operated ionizer and the plugged in rectangular thing is also an ionizer.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 15:05   #4399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Heard of the saying 'bolting the barn door after the horse has escaped'?
Original native British English version: shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

It always amused me that one might have bolted the door before the horse, erm, bolted. Funny language, English!

The world is awash with fake news, views, theories and outright lies. So here's my crazy theory. The virus is affecting people's behaviour to facilitate its spread. I think it is not far from the truth that an organism can affect the behaviour of its host, although I have no idea if that extends to viruses.

But how, you may ask, can it affect your behaviour if you haven't caught it yet. Well, I did say it was a crazy theory
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 15:18   #4400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...But how, you may ask, can it affect your behaviour if you haven't caught it yet. Well, I did say it was a crazy theory

Humanity caught the 'whatever I want is justified!' bug long before COVID was a thing.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 15:21   #4401
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I have a question for doctors around here.

I had mild fever on 24th, so I gave sample for RT-PCR on 25-03, result came on 27-03 , and it was +ve.
Isolated my self in home, Took medicines for 10 days as prescribed by doctor at private hospital. During these 10 days, I did not face any issue except for lack of smell and mild throat infection.

Now , on 06-04 I went for testing again, (13th day from the day I gave first sample) reports came today, and its again +ve.

COVID helpline lady told me that why you tested on 13th day. 2nd time testing should only be done after 14 days.

Now my question here is:
Should I get tested my self again (as 14 days are over now)
or
Isolate again for 14 days and take medicines again?
You shouldn't have retested. It is absolutely not recommended except in certain hospitalized severe cases solely at the discretion of treating physician. All stable patients who remain asymptomatic after first test need not be retested at all. You don't have to isolate yourself again, nor take any medicines. Just get back to normal life. Hope Pune administration doesn't have any stricter ( read stupid ) norms.

-Dr. Vivek

Last edited by vivek95 : 9th April 2021 at 15:22.
vivek95 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 16:02   #4402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
You shouldn't have retested. It is absolutely not recommended except in certain hospitalized severe cases solely at the discretion of treating physician. All stable patients who remain asymptomatic after first test need not be retested at all. You don't have to isolate yourself again, nor take any medicines. Just get back to normal life. Hope Pune administration doesn't have any stricter ( read stupid ) norms.

-Dr. Vivek
Are you sure ? (I know I am being stupid asking YOU such a question), but here ( I am in Indore currently), everyone , even asymptomatic are getting retested after 12-14 days. Doctors at government hospitals asking this, how else we will know that virus is out of our body.

Don’t we have common guidelines? Private hospitals are even doing CT-Scan in parallel with Rt-pcr.

Since my report is positive again, I got a call from covid centre asking me to isolate myself again for 14 days.

I am currently at a private hospital ( parents pushed me ) to get doctors opinion , I will let you know what doctors here have to say on this.

Thank you very much for your reply.
It really brought relief.
INJAXN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 16:06   #4403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Don’t we have common guidelines? Private hospitals are even doing CT-Scan in parallel with Rt-pcr.
This is what doctors have been saying for quite some time now (this was posted back in September):

"Understand COVID Timeline

Person gets:

Exposed on day 0
Test +ve day 3-4
Symptoms start day 5
Contagious from day 4-12
Test remains + for weeks but patient NOT contagious after 10-14 d

No benefit in repeat testing (will likely remain + and freak you out)"

Source: https://twitter.com/FaheemYounus/sta...60070302552065
am1m is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 16:56   #4404
BHPian

Quote:

-Dr. Vivek
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
This is what doctors have been saying for quite some time now (this was posted back in September):
Back from hospital, Doctor said the same thing as you guys are saying.
He just prescribed vitamin C.

However, he did ask me to stay in isolation as the report is +ve, he has also asked me to get tested again after 10 days.
INJAXN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 17:15   #4405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is absolutely not recommended except in certain hospitalized severe cases solely at the discretion of treating physician.
Unfortunately, the re-test is being used for commercial purposes, at least in Delhi. The govt had mandated an upper limit of Rs 15,000 per day only for Covid + patients in ICU with oxygen support. This was implemented very strictly at private hospitals.

So, a retest is done asap for Covid ICU patients. A negative report is then used as an excuse to revert to the regular billing, which is at least 4-5x. Its a loophole that is being exploited.
Eddy is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 20:12   #4406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
What does this mean, explain please. Is there a source?
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/...as-bolted.html
Old 10th April 2021, 04:10   #4407
BHPian

We have just landed at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Mumbai International Airport and the process has been very smooth right from take off in London to Landing. Although my post is not about what the process is, as it is well documented on the CSMIA website.

What my gripe is about some fellow travelling citizens trying to escape the process by needless arguing with the Airport staff and in some cases their relatives getting involved once the travelling individual is out of the terminal. I am appalled at this lack of respect for the law displayed and the attitude which shows that since it is India we can get away with anything.

- A gentleman was saying he didn't have any money when asked about choosing a hotel for the mandatory quarantine.
- Parents were arguing with who seemed to be the BEST staff who were booking bus tickets and directing travellers towards the designated bus. They were arguing with ahem 'masks down' to let their daughter not get into the bus and be allowed to go with them.
- In another example a gentleman did board the bus with us but then called his relatives to meet and hug at one of the hotel stops.

I understand my post sounds like a rant, but I cannot help it when the same non rule following people will go on to complain how the cases are rising in India and the Govt is not doing anything.

Kudos to the staff of British Airways and the Mumbai International Airport Support Staff for making it very easy and smooth although a lot of paperwork involved process for quarantine and social distance measures. Heck there were people appointed to help with Check in bags to be loaded in the bus and the Bus Driver was instructed to ensure the Passenger checks in the hotel.

I wonder if the same behavior would be displayed in Western world by these people. Every rule will be followed to the dot without any complains.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th April 2021 at 11:14. Reason: Added Maharaj as requested.
aghate is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 09:12   #4408
BHPian

Just noticed in my neighborhood - A young couple on a bike; the lady in the pillion was balancing one of those 20-liter water cans on her lap.

Both were properly wearing masks, well aware of the risks of Covid. Was good to see young people setting examples of Covid appropriate behaviour.

But of course, both were without helmets.
DigitalOne is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 10:26   #4409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
I wonder if the same behavior would be displayed in Western world by these people. Every rule will be followed to the dot without any complains.
It could be OT but from my experience of so far in my life, 50% of the NRIs have this attitude. Once then land on other-shores their attitude towards Rules and Regulations changes totally. I believe this is primarily driven by two factors:

1) Lack of serious implementations of rules or fines for violation here in India.
2) General ignorance of violations by anyone in the society.

The same argument applies to wearing Masks, Helmets when riding bikes, etc. Sometimes they just take pride in not following rules in India.
sunilch is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 10:29   #4410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
But of course, both were without helmets.
Being a Doctor, I am saying, not wearing a helmet while riding is way bigger negligence and dangerous than not wearing a mask for this hyped Covid disease. Not wearing a mask can give you Covid with some fever or cough lasting two or three days. But one head injury can kill you or cripple you for life. Hope the stupid Govt. prioritises public health in the right sense.

Last edited by vivek95 : 10th April 2021 at 10:31. Reason: Grammar
vivek95 is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks