Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 11:13   #586
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Been to Sea Shell (Greames road) & Zaitoon (Nungambakkam) in the last 2 months, with the team. The bills for 16-17 folks were 9500/- and 12,000/- with quite a lot of starters, a bunch of main course dishes and desserts.

The feedback is Sea Shell was comparitively less expensive and better in taste. I found both more or less the same. Ambiance was better in Zaitoon as it had quite some space.

Bad part is we could NOT get a single rupee discount at both places inspite these 5 digit bills!
Old 11th January 2014, 14:32   #587
BHPian

Re: Sigree Aday: Overcharge Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Been to Sigree-Adyar for dinner (ale-carte) on 8th Jan.

After the dinner the bill comes and we find that we've billed Non-Veg Platter twice when actually we have ordered one veg and one non-veg each. On questioning the waiter, he replied that both are priced same.

Warning alert:On which planet does meat and veggies cost the same? So we did a quick check on one more item. Roti platter was charged at Rs.310 whereas in the Menu Card it was Rs.250. So we asked for the Menu card and cross checked every item and it's price. To our shock, every item on the bill was overcharged between Rs.20 to Rs.70 than the bill. Please note that VAT, Service TAX and Service Charge were added over and above this.

On questioning the Waiter says it's a computer mistake (how simple right?). Apparently we had been billed the New Year Eve (25th Dec to 5th Jan) prices by mistake it seems. The bill was changed and we paid the revised amount. What about other cheated customers between 6th and 8th Jan? Sigree claimed it will refund the amount. I wonder how That's some serious overcharging for 3 days.

As with many Indian establishments even after calling their bluff, these folks aren't apologetic. They just blame the system or something else.

So folks, be careful while paying your bills at Sigree or any restaurant for that matter.

P.S: The guys sweated when we asked for the old bill. Afraid of being sued? Anyways we got it.
Can I request you to post this in zomato or Burrp so that people read this and are aware of it. One more thing I have seen is, sometimes the restaurant staff do this and they pocket the money, this happens in many places and usually during festive season. So it that was the case, at least the management will be aware of whats going on.

Zomato: http://www.zomato.com/chennai/sigree-adyar
Burrp: http://chennai.burrp.com/listing/sig...ts/19238510217

if you dont have time, I can post it on your behalf. But this should be posted
Old 11th January 2014, 15:47   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

Valid point. I've already posted Sir

I'm not against Flexi or demand based pricing. However I just can't fathom the jacked up prices at restaurants during festive seasons just for the heck of it. It's acceptable if atleast there's something new on the table. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Talking about innovative cheating. Barbeque and Biriyani @ LB Road adds Service Charge (Not Tax) for Take Away. The LB Road branch Menu prices are ridiculously high in comparison to the OMR one. Ofcourse they have swanky decor and high rent but I'm not paying close to 300 bucks for a Veg Starter there.
Old 17th May 2014, 22:41   #589
BHPian

The Yellow Chilli @ NUNGAMBAKKAM,

A new venture of Sanjeev Kapoor in Chennai. a hard core north indian foodie will not feel out of home. Place was extremely clean, staff mild mannered and food and table presentation was above par.

Quality of food is comparable to star hotel standards, but even for buffet table serving was made. Mocktails, Dessert and palak paneer were the highlights.

Coming to place , its located in Nungambakkam opposite the Income Tax office and is on the top floor of the same building which houses Papa Jones and Croma.

It has comfortable seats and a nice outside view and on the inside there is a window to the kitchen from where you can just about view the Kababs being cooked from a fair distance.

VEG BUFFET WAS ORDERED & HAD THE FOLLOWING:
1. Customary Papad.
2. Lemon Coriander Soup (Paneer , Veg dumpling , baby potato fry) - Good
3. Main course contained Palak paneer, kashmiri Dum aloo, Mix veg curry, Dal Fry and Dal makhni.
4. Breads were rudimentary Dry and Butter Naan's.
5. Rice were to the order of Veg Biriyani, Steamed and Curd Rice options.
6. The Mocktails we chose were not exotic though Masala Chaas which was very tasty.
7. Desert was highlighted by Gulab E Gulkhandh.

Tall claims made by the Staff:
1. Sanjeev Sir would barje in any time by surprise from Mumbai, would head straight into the kitchen and inspect top to bottom what z going on. he also claimed that Sanjeev would for sure taste all that has been made on that day to make sure the Guests are treated per his expectations.
2. He claims to get the Paneer direct from Delhi on regular basis and not the crap what we get here. I did feel the difference in taste when i tasted the Paneer.

http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/The-Yellow-Chilli.aspx

Veg Buffet per head will cost you 999 plus taxes. Comfortable for family dinners and couples. VALET PARKING is available but on First cum first serve basis.

Last edited by sriramr9 : 17th May 2014 at 22:46.
Old 8th August 2014, 17:58   #590

Guess, there hasn't been much activity here lately so a few cents to keep the thread alive:

Tried Lavash on KNK. Infact hosted a birthday party with nearly 20 guests on a Wednesday night. Here are my observations as below:

1. The restaurant was quite full even on Wednesday night. It helps that it's new and that its on KNK but am sure those weren't the only reason.

2. The food was served hot and without much wait. The menu was decided and set ahead of time and that might have helped.

3. The food was quite good. Would rate 4/5.

4. The decor was Suited to the food palate. The staff were pleasant and accommodating for all the hassles involved in handling large groups with children.

5. Overall, it's a value for money establishment and serves good Mediterranean food. Will probably repeat. Overall experience was 4/5.
Old 9th August 2014, 19:57   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamson View Post
Guess, there hasn't been much activity here lately so a few cents to keep the thread alive:

Tried Lavash on KNK. Infact hosted a birthday party with nearly 20 guests on a Wednesday night. Here are my observations as below:
Small world - I was there with my wife and son as well at around 8 PM the same evening. We enjoyed our meal there and service was good too.
Old 11th August 2014, 19:44   #592
Senior - BHPian

Tried a few restaurants over the last few days. MOMO near St Josephs OMR serves good Chinese fare and of course tasty momos. One of the nice Chinese places on OMR apart from the more expensive Mainland China. No buffet, but reasonable cost, amble parking and good service. Limited seating.

Simar in KNK road is a new place. Got an offer on Groupon. Rs 349 for a sit in Buffet. I must say for the cost it was a surprise. Portions were decent and taste was great. Pleasant ambiance is an add-on.

Avenue 195 near Zaitoon off Greams Rd was a disappointment. Over cooked food and very pricey.
Old 14th August 2014, 22:24   #593
BHPian

Anyone tried Annam Veg Restaurant in OMR, Chennai? It's very underrated IMO. Good food, decent ambience.
Old 12th October 2014, 22:19   #594
BHPian

Back to Chennai briefly after many years and visited some old favourites and tried out some new ones. A quick summary.

Kumarakom - KH Road- Crowd is still there but quality has definitely gone down. The old favourite (beef fry) just didn't taste the same.

Nairs Mess - Triplicane - May be I went for the wrong meal (dinner) but while the food was tasty enough, I don't feel all the hype about the place is justified. But having gone at dinner time, many of their signature dishes were not available.

Anjappar - NH Road (and also the one at Poonamalle)- Both outlets consistently good. Didn't try any of the more adventurous options but what I had was very tasty at both outlets. The faluda at the Poonamalle outlet was very good.

Junior Kuppanna - T Nagar-Now this place lived up to all its hype. Wonderful food. Loved the nethili fish fry along with the chicken biriyani.

The Amethyst- Again wrong meal hence couldn't enjoy it. Don't know why our host organised a business lunch at this place when we were rushed for time! All I can say is Chetan Bhagat's description in Two States (the book) sums it up well. This a place for an unhurried meal and you go more for the ambience.
Old 24th November 2014, 11:49   #595
BHPian

Any must visit recommendations for Biryani? I will be staying in T Nagar and prefer something close as I have to rely on Auto

Also is murugan idly kadai worth the hype?
Old 24th November 2014, 11:58   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Any must visit recommendations for Biryani? I will be staying in T Nagar and prefer something close as I have to rely on Auto

Haven't tried many at T-Nagar, but the Briyani from Junior Kupanna at T Nagar was really mouth watering! Nice (but noisy) Chettinadu restaurant with decent VFM.

PS: I have a bias for Chettinadu hotels that serve food on banana leaves
Old 24th November 2014, 12:02   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
PS: I have a bias for Chettinadu hotels that serve food on banana leaves
me too.

Yea looks like I will definitely go to Junior Kuppana.
Old 24th November 2014, 12:03   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post

Murugan idly kadai does worth the hype. Apart from customary Idlies you also try Onion uthappam. Also if you are thirsty and have space in stomach, try the famous Jigarthanda there.

For Biriyani, NonVegs.. head straight to Junior Kuppanna, even the meals served there is worth considering.
Old 13th February 2015, 11:25   #599
BHPian

Guys, a friend of mine had come from Belgium and he is a citizen of that country. He wants to have some western dishes here in chennai and had asked me for pointers towards good restuarants. Can you guys let me know where could i take him? He had already visited these restaurants and found them to be good. Any options apart from these would be definitely great! :-)

He had visited: The Marina, The Brasserie, Sandys.

Thanks in advance guys...
Old 13th February 2015, 18:35   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Guys, a friend of mine had come from Belgium and he is a citizen of that country. He wants to have some western dishes here in chennai and had asked me for pointers towards good restuarants. Can you guys let me know where could i take him? He had already visited these restaurants and found them to be good. Any options apart from these would be definitely great! :-)

He had visited: The Marina, The Brasserie, Sandys.

Thanks in advance guys...
We used to take our European associates to Bella Ciao in Kottivakkam. The Italian owner cooks genuine authentic Italian food. But it may be too bland for us. Some suggested menu: Bolognese Pasta - lamb meat pasta and Salsiccia e Funghi - again Pasta with Italian sausages.

Other than this, KFC and MacDonald always come in handy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks