Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2016, 15:22   #601
J.Ravi

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Today, I rode to G Gopaul Dairy, Philips street, Broadway, Chennai, where I tasted yummy, yummy bun/butter/jam washed down by buttermilk. Each bun/butter/jam set costs ₹ 25 and the buttermilk, ₹ 10 a glass. The details are here.

Old 12th February 2017, 20:14   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Paradise, Perungudi - OMR (Next to Savoury Sea Shell / Opp Turyaa hotel)

Zaffrani Mutton Biriyani : Nice medium spice and a good blend of masala. The mutton pieces were tender & the gravy was good too. Didn't like the raitha as it was way too watery & saltier than it should be. Subtle ghee taste. Quantity is good for a heavy diner.

Cost : 195/ + taxes = 210.6 rounded to 211/- !
Old 20th February 2019, 11:06   #603
Senior - BHPian

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201...ine-to-chennai

Interesting article. Welcome way of tasting new food. Havent heard the same in Bengaluru because of Toyota. Hopefully we can all drive to Kia's plant to have Korean food !
Old 20th February 2019, 12:42   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

I have never tried any Japanese restaurant here. Prices seem high and I am prone to sushi addiction!

I'm also prone to disappointment. My standards are high. Never been to Japan, but was introduced to Japanese food by my expat bosses, in London. They hear expenses accounts and only went to the best places!

I heard, though, rust the place in Thiruvanmiyur is run by Japanese for Japanese.
Old 20th February 2019, 13:46   #605
BHPian

Friends, visiting Chennai for two days on coming weekend. Any suggestion for good place for chettinad cuisine around T nagar?
Old 20th February 2019, 15:09   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Friends, visiting Chennai for two days on coming weekend. Any suggestion for good place for chettinad cuisine around T nagar?
Not an expert in that area, but Junior Kuppanna is a decent south indian restaurant that serves good Chettinad dishes. It is located slightly off the North Bogh road, and google maps would easily direct you there.

I really enjoy food at Thambi Villas, And I have visited their OMR branch several times. I have heard that they started out from T Nagar, where the food is even better. I do not know the exact location (Google maps again should help you), but at least the food here I can vouch for.
Old 20th February 2019, 15:20   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pattukottai Kamakshi mess, TNagar. I have been to the one on OMR and loved their food, so I imagine it would be the same in TNagar as well
Old 20th February 2019, 16:57   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Not an expert in that area, but Junior Kuppanna is a decent south indian restaurant that serves good Chettinad dishes.
Junior Kuppana is not all that good when it comes to Biryani. Their mutton Biryani has very small pieces of meat.

Quote:

There is a Sukkubhai restaurant in Alandur which used to be the favorite joint for many. Reason: Their mutton biryani has mutton chunks. They are from Nagoor where they make Biryanis in a traditional way: 2 parts of large pieces of mutton to one part rice. It is rare to find a hotel which can make Biryani the traditional way. You will find these traditionally made Muslim Biryanis only in Weddings.

Sukkubhai has opened a branch near Sangeetha in OMR.

[note] I have no business interest in Sukkubhai or other hotels. I am just a carnivorous foodie with a taste for South Indian Biryani. [/note]
Old 20th February 2019, 17:42   #609
BHPian

Thanks a lot friends for your suggestions, will try for sure!
Old 20th February 2019, 18:32   #610
BHPian

Quote:
I second - Pattukottai Kamakshi mess, TNagar. Brilliant non veg food; try their fish fry & mutton kola urundai for sure!
Old 20th February 2019, 18:35   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have never tried any Japanese restaurant here. Prices seem high and I am prone to sushi addiction!

I'm also prone to disappointment. My standards are high. Never been to Japan, but was introduced to Japanese food by my expat bosses, in London. They hear expenses accounts and only went to the best places!

I heard, though, rust the place in Thiruvanmiyur is run by Japanese for Japanese.
Hey Thad, I really liked Hokkaido which is in Teynampet; I have been there twice in the last 6 months and my wife who is a "japo-phile" and who has lived in Japan also approved it (so I am guessing it must be authentic )
Old 21st February 2019, 00:59   #612
Senior - BHPian

I had to drive 25km to get to Sholinganallur junction on OMR to dine at the Black Pearl grill and buffet restaurant but it was all worth it. The staff is friendly, the grill meats aren't chewy , the buffet is a meat lover's delight and the dessert spread is much better than the pretentious rubbish one sees in local five star hotel desert stations. The freshly made jalebi soaked in malai is to die for. The price is very reasonable too. If you're in the area check it out.
nickatnite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 15:19   #613
ike
BHPian

I have been to Kappa chakka kandhari in Haddows road a couple of times and the food is excellent. You have good variety as well. One of the better kerala restaurants in Chennai, the prices are ok but the quantity is a wee bit less than ideal. The place does not serve biriyani or meals which is the mainstay of kerala cuisine at least in Chennai
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Chennai-img_20190212_204908_bokeh.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Chennai-img_20190212_205039_bokeh.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Chennai-img_20190212_210135_bokeh.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Chennai-img_20190212_210856_bokeh.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Chennai-img_20190601_140027.jpg  

ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:25   #614
BHPian

I never tried it personally, but I see a Karthick Tiffin centre on 2nd Avenue, Anna Nagar opposite to Vodafone and adjacent to Commissionerate Of Central Taxes And Central Excise. Never a faint moment, immensely crowded. Been tempted too many times, the fear of the pandemic keeps me away.
Old 7th December 2020, 14:12   #615
BHPian

Bread and Chocolate: Went to newly opened Bread and Chocolate in Cenotaph road. They're based out of Auroville, Pondy. The quality of croissant and chocolate is too good for Chennai standards. Their croissants are the closest to the ones we had in Europe. The ambience is also equally good. They do have their own nut butters, pastas, and organic cereals. If you like croissants, sandwiches, and good coffee, do consider trying them once. The price is definitely on the higher side, comparing with Old Madras Baking company, which serves almost similar quality of breads and bakes.

A Guide: Eating out in Chennai-bnc.jpg

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks