Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:22   #541
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 104
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

We tried 'The Pind' in velachery few months back as they were famous for their paneers. True. Paneer was exceptional and the ambience as well. Non-paneer items were just ok. Service was very good.

Buhari in Chrompet - Never had food in Buhari before. Not impressed. Tried Biriyanis and chicken dry stuffs. Average.

Pudhusu, Selayur - Tried twice. Cramped and difficult to get a seat. Food was ok the first time. Nothing exceptional. Second time food was pathetic. Chicken was rubbery, smelt old. Would not recommend.

Had a funny incident with Emas restaurant in Santhoshapuram, near medavakkam. Never knew about Emu earlier. Saw the menu and ordered some nuggets assuming its chicken. After tasting it, checked with service guys and knew its a special type bird called Emu. They are Emu only restaurant.

Westin, Velachery - Dinner. Was good and as expected in a star hotel. The buffet spread(indian varieties) could have had more items.

I personally prefer the Dindigul Thalapakatti Biriyani though i am not a a foodie and havent tried the various options in Chennai. Love the jeeraga chamba rice for biriyanis rather than Basmati.
pisthpeeps is offline  
Old 2nd August 2013, 23:58   #542
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

My office shifted to Greams Road and suddenly you have so many options. There is a small place in the lane before Frankies/fruit-shop that serves all kinds of Kebabs. The beef rolls are killer. They have all meat options. Basically a take away joint. Good crowd.
mail4ajo is offline  
Old 3rd August 2013, 01:27   #543
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,725
Thanked: 16,593 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
And they have a treat for your vintage 2 wheeler loving eyes too!
Oh yes, I guess they do!

Sadly wasted on me <blush>
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
Had a funny incident with Emas restaurant in Santhoshapuram, near medavakkam. Never knew about Emu earlier. Saw the menu and ordered some nuggets assuming its chicken. After tasting it, checked with service guys and knew its a special type bird called Emu. They are Emu only restaurant.
You haven't been reading your newspapers! Emus farming was one of the big scams of the past couple of years.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd August 2013 at 01:31.
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 5th August 2013, 16:31   #544
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 104
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You haven't been reading your newspapers! Emus farming was one of the big scams of the past couple of years.
No. It was just before Emu became famous for wrong reasons.

Visited 'The Farm' in OMR this weekend after reading about it here. My kids enjoyed a lot. Ample parking space, forest like set up, swings, few farm animals, options to try shuttle, cricket etc. My daughter enjoyed the pizza making session as well. Food is a bit pricey though. Worth a visit if you have kids. Reservation is recommended during weekends.
pisthpeeps is offline  
Old 5th August 2013, 20:45   #545
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Any reviews on The Marina? Its a seafood place near WCC Nungambakkam.
mail4ajo is offline  
Old 5th August 2013, 20:53   #546
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,725
Thanked: 16,593 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
Visited 'The Farm' in OMR this weekend after reading about it here.
Went there a few years ago. What's your food report from your visit?
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 6th August 2013, 14:05   #547
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 104
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Went there a few years ago. What's your food report from your visit?
Had a lassi, a chicken achari pizaa(the one my daughter prepared) and a stuffed chicken paratha - Bill ~ Rs 1000. Had a late heavy breakfast that day and hence a light lunch. Lassi was good, pizza and paratha average.

They had buffet and al-a-carte on offer. We were denied the buffet as they said the items were over and they are closing it, though the time was only 1:30pm.
pisthpeeps is offline  
Old 13th August 2013, 17:47   #548
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulkool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,307
Thanked: 844 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
My office shifted to Greams Road and suddenly you have so many options. There is a small place in the lane before Frankies/fruit-shop that serves all kinds of Kebabs. The beef rolls are killer. They have all meat options. Basically a take away joint. Good crowd.
Where is this place exactly ? I had some amazing kebabs in delhi recently and can't find anything similar in chennai
Rahulkool is offline  
Old 15th August 2013, 13:42   #549
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,176
Thanked: 4,093 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Guys,

I have been visiting Chennnai from last 15 years and all my trips have predominantly been day trips.I am scheduled to visit Chennai next week and will be lodged for good 6 days.

Please suggest good restaurants which serves Indian Food (Biryani in particular-Salem Ambur,Arcot).I am even ok with Dingiest of places as long as the food is tasty and reasonably hygienic.I will be staying at Chepauk and my work revolves in and around Hospitals like SRMC,Adyar Cancer Institute etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline  
Old 15th August 2013, 14:21   #550
RSR
Senior - BHPian
 
RSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,803
Thanked: 6,457 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Guys,

I have been visiting Chennnai from last 15 years and all my trips have predominantly been day trips.I am scheduled to visit Chennai next week and will be lodged for good 6 days.

Please suggest good restaurants which serves Indian Food (Biryani in particular-Salem Ambur,Arcot).I am even ok with Dingiest of places as long as the food is tasty and reasonably hygienic.I will be staying at Chepauk and my work revolves in and around Hospitals like SRMC,Adyar Cancer Institute etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Waseem.
You can try Coronet Restaurant in Adyar. They've been around for a long time and I quite liked their yummy Biryani. The place is located at the junction of Lattice Bridge Road and Sardar Patel Road - the junction/signal below the flyover. They have a non air-conditioned dining hall on the ground floor while the A/C restaurant is on the first floor.

Edited to include P.S.: Please note that parking can be an issue - vehicles parked in unauthorised spots are frequently clamped or towed away.

Last edited by RSR : 15th August 2013 at 14:27.
RSR is offline  
Old 15th August 2013, 19:49   #551
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 672
Thanked: 724 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Guys,

Please suggest good restaurants which serves Indian Food (Biryani in particular-Salem Ambur,Arcot).I am even ok with Dingiest of places as long as the food is tasty and reasonably hygienic.I will be staying at Chepauk and my work revolves in and around Hospitals like SRMC,Adyar Cancer Institute etc.

Waseem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
You can try Coronet Restaurant in Adyar. They've been around for a long time and I quite liked their yummy Biryani. .
Waseem - Like you I have been searching for a good Biryani joint all these years. No Joy. Nothing comes up to my expectation.

Coronot in Adyar, sadly has gone down in quality. The biryani there doesn't taste as it used to. You might be better off with Besant Nagar Anjappar's Biryani. But there is one Buhari in the side streets next to Nalli silk house in Adyar. This buhari is tucked away in a nondescript lane, but the Biryani is better than any available nearby.
Prowler is offline  
Old 15th August 2013, 20:50   #552
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,725
Thanked: 16,593 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Quote:
This buhari is tucked away in a nondescript lane...
First on the left are leaving the Sardar Patel Rd branch of the flyover.

Had some creamy chicken dish there once: just a few chicken scraps lost in some sauce. Not good.
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 16th August 2013, 00:04   #553
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 672
Thanked: 724 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
First on the left are leaving the Sardar Patel Rd branch of the flyover.

Had some creamy chicken dish there once: just a few chicken scraps lost in some sauce. Not good.
Oh. Good that I didn't try anything other than Biryani there. Buhari near Marina Beach was famous once for mutton samosas - so I heard. Things have changed as you say Mr.Thad.
Prowler is offline  
Old 16th August 2013, 00:11   #554
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,725
Thanked: 16,593 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Well, it was just one dish, just one occasion, but it didn't encourage me to go back. I know that this is a famous name, and also I've had really excellent Buharis food at a family member's house near Anna Nagar, so I was disappointed.

Another Buharis on ECR... any reports?
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 16th August 2013, 00:37   #555
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,746
Thanked: 1,661 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Oh. Good that I didn't try anything other than Biryani there. Buhari near Marina Beach was famous once for mutton samosas - so I heard. Things have changed as you say Mr.Thad.
The mutton samosas are still very much available from the same branch. WRT Buhari, only the Mount Road branch(Near LIC), is good enough. Taste and price wise. It seems the best cooks are cooking from that branch.
DRIV3R is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks