Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2022, 19:56   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for $44 billion

Investors joining Elon Musk in takeover of Twitter include Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison and Saudi Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal.

Quote:
A new filing shows that Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison, venture capital firm Sequoia and crypto exchange platform Binance are among a cohort of investors that plan to support Elon Musk's $44 billion Twitter takeover.
Quote:
Other investment firms backing Musk's bid include Qatar Holding, which is contributing $375 million, and Fidelity, which has pledged $316 million.
Quote:
Saudi Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Abdulaziz Alsaud, who is already an investor in Twitter and initially rejected Musk's deal, has pledged to buy 34,948,975 shares, worth around $1.7 billion.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 21:31   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for $44 billion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No KYC, no tweeting.
Take away anonymity? User base will go down to 1/10th.
Old 6th May 2022, 12:11   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Take away anonymity? User base will go down to 1/10th.
Correct me if I am wrong, but even today Twitter needs accounts to be verified during creation - by means of email or SMS OTP. So either we need to have an email id, or a phone number. The latter needs govt. ID cards, and the former is tough to open without a phone number unless it is some of the niche ones like Protonmail or Tutanota. Most users of Twitter probably just use a Gmail / Facebook/ Apple account for that purpose.

Each tweet captures the IP and MAC address. The IP address is linked to the service provider. Even if it is say free Wifi at the airport, we need to connect to it using, guess, OTP again. So we can have a map of the IP address and MAC address almost always.

Coming to MAC address, this is unique ID of the phone/ PC/ laptop. It will be mapped to Apple or MS account depending on hardware.

All this is even before the "Blue Tick", which is just an added verification done by a human at the request of a user, if that human thinks it is worth.

So Twitter is already not about anonymity. With high probability, most social network posts can be tracked to their origin easily.

Now of course, there are ways to bypass all these, but most Twitter users don't bother.

On a lighter note, 90% of Twitter is noise, so that reduction if happens is welcome
mayukh42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 14:22   #79
Senior - BHPian

I think more than anonymity, it's about convenience.

How many will want to submit KYC documents and maybe update them periodically, to be able to tweet? I can do that for using a phone connection or bank account. But twitter? I wouldn't bother.
Old 13th May 2022, 19:18   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Elon Musk presses the pause button on $44 Billion Twitter deal.

Elon Musk tweeted on Friday that his $44-billion cash deal for Twitter Inc is “temporarily on hold” while he waits for the social media company to provide data on the proportion of its fake accounts.

Twitter shares initially fell more than 20% in premarket trading, but after Tesla CEO Musk sent a second tweet saying he remained committed to the deal they regained some ground. The stock was off 12% in heavy volume ahead of the market open as investors fretted over the takeover.

Quote:
Musk has said that if he buys Twitter he "will defeat the spam bots or die trying" and has blamed the company's reliance on advertising for why it has let spam bots proliferate.

He has also been critical of Twitter's moderation policy and has said he wants Twitter's algorithm to prioritize tweets to be public and was against too much power on the service to corporations that advertise.
Nevertheless, Musk is targeting advertising revenue to more than double by 2028. Ads are expected to make up about 45% of Twitter's total revenue by that time, down from nearly all of its revenue today.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th May 2022 at 19:21.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 12:13   #81
Senior - BHPian

This entertainment is never ending people.

First the issue of board of directors having almost next to nothing in terms of company shares.

And now Elon Musk says Twitter legal team told him he violated an NDA by revealing that the sample size for the social media platform's checks on the automated users was 100.
Although to be fair I think it is repeated sampling of size 100.

I think Elon is thinking he overpaid and wants a way out.
download2live is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 13:05   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
This entertainment is never ending people.
I think Elon is thinking he overpaid and wants a way out.
He's calling for a crowdsourced due diligence - with sample sizes of 100! That for 44Billion$ deal ! He's come up with this method AFTER apparently waiving away due diligence rights.

Walking away apparently would cost him a Billion$, unlikely he would go that path.

For all we know, he just got that itch to troll Twitter.
whitewing is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 12:33   #83
Team-BHP Support

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/twit...report-2982185

Edit: I am a bit confused. They appear to be speaking to multiple people, but they are showing the same name. Unless this guy looks different in different angles.

It appears that Twitter has a very lackadaisical culture. It isn't run like a business at all. He worked only 4 hours a week, while collecting full salary. Just mind-blowing...

I am wondering... Did the sharedholders know this situation inside Twitter?

Last edited by Samurai : 17th May 2022 at 12:49.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 13:48   #84
Senior - BHPian

Twitter always had very relaxed work place practices. They were the one of the first to annouce full remote work permananently. Once Musk takes over, culture will change for sure. We all have heard stories about the work culture in Tesla. So it is natural that employees will revolt. If I was a Twitter employee, I would have started looking out for opportunities, the moment rumours of Musk take over surfaced.
Old 17th May 2022, 14:33   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
I do hope there is more drama even if Musk doesn't end up owning Twitter.
Looks like my prediction is going to come true after all! Exciting times ahead!

Quote:
Elon Musk Says Twitter Bid Can’t Move Forward Without More Clarity on Fake Accounts
https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-mu...ts-11652775337
Old 17th May 2022, 20:23   #86
BHPian

Quote:
It appears that Twitter has a very lackadaisical culture. It isn't run like a business at all. He worked only 4 hours a week, while collecting full salary. Just mind-blowing...

I am wondering... Did the sharedholders know this situation inside Twitter?
OT.
This sounds much like Ricardo Semler's way of running things, giving employees - a freedom to create value - unimaginable for most businesses and bosses.
whitewing is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 14:32   #87
Senior - BHPian

And now S&P kicks Tesla off from its ESG Index, prompting Musk to post childish memes.

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-booted-fr...the-1848944760

Well, it is an index. If you don't play by its rules, you get kicked out. No point in crying about it like a baby.
Old 19th May 2022, 14:46   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
And now S&P kicks Tesla off from its ESG Index, prompting Musk to post childish memes.
Well, it is an index. If you don't play by its rules, you get kicked out. No point in crying about it like a baby.
The same S&P that defrauded millions of investors by issuing fraudulent rating, which led to the 2008 financial meltdown? They have rules?

This is like pot calling the kettle black.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 15:14   #89
BHPian

Maybe Elon has been too instinctive in offering to buy twitter ? Not sure with all the changes he has in mind, if twitter will have it easy with regulators and also make good money.

Its a lot of money to just try something that he feels like he should with social media. It will have issues day to day unlike the other products he builds.
Old 19th May 2022, 16:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The same S&P that defrauded millions of investors by issuing fraudulent rating, which led to the 2008 financial meltdown? They have rules?

This is like pot calling the kettle black.
LOL. The world has moved on.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks