Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you name your vehicles?
Yes 117 27.99%
No 301 72.01%
Voters: 418. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2022, 19:39   #16
BHPian

re: Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?

I have noticed that this topic draws a lot of flak on social media (FB/IG) with people trolling in comments of TBHP posts where members have named their vehicles. To me that's their personal choice and I don't have a problem with people naming or not naming their personal things. But sometimes I do feel certain names can be too much or sound cringe, but that's just me.

That aside, I personally don't want to give my vehicles any name because it sounds silly and I feel there is no need to name a vehicle to have better attachment with it. I love my vehicles and take care of them reasonably well and I sometimes refer to them by shortened or abbreviated name of the actual model itself, like Eco or ES for EcoSport. IMO there is no need to create another name which just adds to the list of names that I need remember, less stress for my brain
Funny is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 09:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Not a fan of naming vehicles. Although we do use passing references in lines with third child, second house, small house (in Tamil ) in the household given how much the car has been part of the family.

While in topic, I have to mention that I am a fan of Mi10's car names. The best of the lot being combat rooster (Combat Rooster® | Mi10's Tata Tiago JTP) (sanda kozhi) for the JTP.

Only thing is I am bored of hearing 'beast' over and over again. I mean everything from Nano through LC Prado is a 'beast'

Quote:
people trolling in comments of TBHP posts where members have named their vehicles
Naming vehicles is not a TBHP trend. Remember Rajinikanth referring the kaali-peeli he drives as Lakshmi in Padikkadhavan in 1985.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 12:40   #18
Team-BHP Support

I don't do that anymore. But my first car had a name. Meet Chameli:

Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-dsc00347.jpg

Name inspired by:

Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-1517chameli2-2.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 13th July 2022 at 12:49.
SmartCat is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 13:19   #19
BHPian

While its not wrong or a bad thing to name a car, I prefer not calling it names. I don't think a name is required for a connection with the car. There could be an attachment even without a name. I simply refer our car as the Altroz.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 13:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

'Smurfy' is well known in the biking circuit. If it were just another CB 350 Highness, it would be ordinary. So NAMING is important for me. My feelings entirely
Old 13th July 2022, 14:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, the only name I've given is to my Jeep. My cars and the Montero doesn't have names.

The Jeep demands a name cos of its character.

Meet Maximus:
Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-131623422_2820273684883575_7085243512190871226_n.jpg
dhanushs is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 14:34   #22
Team-BHP Support

Naming a car? Why? It already has one, does it not? In my case the names are Brio and S-Cross.
Eddy is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 15:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The Jeep demands a name cos of its character.

Meet Maximus:
Attachment 2333097
And I strongly second that! It truly is deserving of the name. I am drooling just looking at it.

Sorry for going OT.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 10:30   #24
BHPian

Never named any of my cars and never felt like naming it as well.

But recently my 6 year old daughter has started to call mine, cousin's, friend's cars by it's color. So when I am talking to her, I use the car color to refer to someone's car.

Regards
Old 14th July 2022, 10:34   #25
BHPian

Absolutely no names for inanimate objects (except perhaps when cussing at one that isnt doing what it should). Its more acceptable if its heavily modded and utterly unique (like the Jeep a few posts above) but otherwise, oh no!

I look at names of cars just the same way as a layman would think of microwave or a washing machine or an induction stove having a name - weird.

My PC doesnt have a name, nor does my laptop or my phone - three articles that I clearly spend way more time than most other things in life - so why should my car or bike have a name? Naming cars feels like adults cosplaying as kids or like a scene from some animation movie (I love many animation movies, but they dont really feel real/normal, do they?)

While I know that many do (and I have seen in this forum and was very surprised) I find it pretty childish, dare I say - even cringy - to anthropomorphize inanimate objects. Even more so when some people write as if the car/bike is a person and then immediately switch to using verbs and adjectives that are ill fitting when talking about a person. To be honest, they make for a good laugh so maybe I shouldn't be complaining.

Now if I had a dog or a cat or some other pet then that'd be different - because they are living, breathing animals. And if I can have a name, so can they.

(Of course, I don't care if others name their cars - thats their choice, obviously.)

Last edited by Transmission : 14th July 2022 at 10:40.
Transmission is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 10:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Absolutely no names for inanimate objects (except perhaps when cussing at one that isnt doing what it should). Its more acceptable if its heavily modded and utterly unique (like the Jeep a few posts above) but otherwise, oh no!

I look at names of cars just the same way as a layman would think of microwave or a washing machine or an induction stove having a name - weird.

My PC doesnt have a name, nor does my laptop or my phone - three articles that I clearly spend way more time than most other things in life - so why should my car or bike have a name? Naming cars feels like adults cosplyaing as kids or like a scene from some animation movie (I love many animation movies, but they dont really feel real/normal, do they?)

While I know that many do (and I have seen in this forum and was very surprised) I find it pretty childish, dare I say - even cringy - to anthropomorphize inanimate objects. Even more so when some people write as if the car/bike is a person and then immediately switch to using verbs and adjectives that are ill fitting when talking about a person. To be honest, they make for a good laugh so maybe I shouldn't be complaining.

Now if I had a dog or a cat or some other pet then that'd be different - because they are living, breathing animals. And if I can have a name, so can they.

(Of course, I don't care if others name their cars - thats their choice, obviously.)
Was thinking of what to say without being offensive to many here who prefer to name their cars, which is their choice TBH, but this post nails everything I wanted to say and more, completely agreed!
I also don't get the family connection with the thing and hence naming it logic, we all sell our cars eventually don't we? Can you imagine doing the same with even your pet leave family members?

Last edited by Rocketscience : 14th July 2022 at 10:43.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 11:00   #27
BHPian

Voted No.

I like cars, especially my car that I chose from multiple options after a lot of research. Many times I acknowledge the importance my car has in my life: multiple memorable road trips, driving to and from my marriage, getting our new born home. It’s one of the things I will miss when I leave India in a couple of months for my job. However I will not name it or equate it with my human relations. At the end of it all , it’s a non living thing despite how much one is attached to it.
Old 14th July 2022, 11:14   #28
BHPian

We have always considered our vehicles like well-adored pets and hence they have always been a part of our family. We have absolutely always named the vehicles in my family and have always tried to hold on to them as much as possible. If non-living apartment buildings can have unique names then so can vehicles. There may be plenty of vehicles available of the same make as mine but those are not mine. Hence, naming our vehicles is a must for us.

My introduction to vehicles started more than half a century ago with my Grandfather's Landmaster car. He used to lovingly call it Master. We also had a Bedford truck in my ancestral home which we refer to as "Baddu" or the Big One. Not very original, I know.

After I got married, I bought my first car in 1986 a Mark 4 Ambassador petrol which we named Rhino after the state animal of Assam.

My husband later bought a Yamaha RX100 motorcycle which he named "Sheru" after Shere Khan, a fictional Royal Bengal tiger from Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book.

Now, I own a 2017 petrol 1.6 automatic first generation prefacelifted Creta which my son has named as Blaze after a horse from one of the Sherlock Homes' accounts. Here is Blaze in all its blazing glory :-
Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-achipur.jpg

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 14th July 2022 at 11:28.
Chhanda Das is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 11:22   #29
BHPian

Always!

My bike Pulsar was named Kalu, cause of all black color scheme. My Civic was named Chameli cause it was white and my Ignis is named Dora cause of its Blue color. My wife's Activa is named Skooty.
n33rav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 11:48   #30
BHPian

Well I like the idea and I might for a brief period of 2-3 days will refer it by that name, but in flat 2-3 days family would be like...

Me:- Where are the keys of my Tank?
Mom:- hain? (in shock)
Me: - Arre Volvo ki chaabi .. :-D
Mom:- To aisa bolo naa..

So in my households cars are called by brand name, Honda, Volvo etc etc

When we had two cars of same brand, it was referred as Bhai ki Maruti, Papa ki Maruti etc etc
M.Dua is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks