Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you name your vehicles?
Yes 117 27.99%
No 301 72.01%
Voters: 418. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2022, 02:08   #106
BHPian

Re: Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

What's in a name?
A name is a 'closer identifier'.

INS Vikrant? INS Vikramaditya? Titanic? Rajdhani/Duranto/Deccan Queen/Himalayan Queen/and many others? I guess it is different strokes for different vehicles.

Names helps us identify better than Role No 1, Role No 2, Role No 3. Or we can still call them Indian Aircraft Carrier No 1, No 2, No 3. Choice is always personal

I am proud that I have named every Vahaan of mine, including my first non-motorised vehicle, the bicycle that carried to me to school in the 1980s. Her Highness even today refers to my one-time pride, now-fond-memory and fully-scrapped Yezdi Classic 250 by its 'Name'.

If 'naming' an inanimate object or designation is illogical, I wonder how many us say we passed Xth board or XIIth board exams when we should be saying SSC (secondary school certificate{examination}) pass or SSSC (Senior secondary school certificate{examination}) pass. But no, we still say Dasvi and Baaravi!

Those that 'name' their vehicles give these inanimate objects (Gandiva and Sudarshan Chakra to name just two) a distinct character of their own, reflecting the unique attributes of the vehicle. Dhab-Dhab-Dhab-Dhab-Dhab goes a Bullet, brrmmm-brrrmmm-brrrrmmmm goes an RX100.

It all boils down to personal preference. You like a vehicle, you wish to name it? Do so! Get another f(r)iend in your life. You don't wish to name it? Don't name it. Your choice!
mygodbole is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 03:00   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Not really but what about your friends and family naming your vehicles?

Like in my case,
  • White elephant
  • Money pit
Old 19th July 2022, 20:42   #108
BHPian

My earlier bikes were purely for commuting as is my car which is mostly a city car and hence I had no real attachment to any of them and hence never bothered to name them.

However my current Z650 bike is a whole new ballgame. I truly feel happy whenever I ride her even if its for a short distance only. So she is the ONLY vehicle I have actually named. I call her JOY because whenever I am in a bad place, one short ride on her and I simply forget my troubles. Though when it comes time to service her my JOY does reduce seeing all the extra zeros on the bill as my car costs almost 75% less to service every year !

Though she had a problem with ground clearance and within 2 months of owning her I became a speedbreaker expert. Rather than looking at the scenery or enjoying the ride I was constantly scanning the roads for any sign of speedbreakers. Once a speedbreaker was spotted I immediately would go into detective mode to investigate if the speedbreaker was dangerous to my JOY or not. If she was I would immediately come to an almost standstill and take her very gently over the speedbreaker at an angle. Unfortunately people behind me wouldn't take too kindly to me braking hard and I used to get a few glares and a few choice gaalis to boot.

Finally after two months I got fed up of this and changed the exhaust system to remove the bulky catcon and improve the ground clearance by at least 10mm which as it turns out is enough to tackle even the biggest speedbreakers I have ever seen. Simply stand on the footpegs and ride them out no problems. Unfortunately the silencer is nowhere near as quiet as the stock silencer and my better half hasn't taken too kindly to the extra noise. So she has rechristened my bike as DESPO as she feels my bike has become some kind of chapri bike
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 15:44   #109
BHPian

No except for one
I personally do not name my vehicles until I bought a Storme which is rightly called by me and everybody around as a "haathi" (elephant).rl
Old 9th January 2024, 10:04   #110
BHPian

We've named ours Moku
Gives a sense of attachment towards the baby.
Old 14th February 2024, 22:04   #111

Have You Named Your Car/s?

A very Happy 20th Birthday to us all BHPians. And what a wonderful occasion to start my very first thread here.

Actually let's call it a discussion as you shall all be contributing to it once I finish.

Well, as you must have read the title, I wish to put forward a simple question to all of you. Have anyone of you given your car/s a name? I mean it already has been christened by the manufacturer but I'm talking about a unique name that you know, defines it in some way or the other. A unique characteristic that you can relate to...it can be anything really.

In my case, I've christened my two beasts and kept things on the feminine side whilst doing so. Yes, I often use, "her" whilst talking about them or writing about them.

For the Isuzu, I call her 'Victory' and the i20 'Newton'. Now, the Newton name is essentially limited the boys/men a la Isaac Newton but I've taken liberties in this case and kept a feminine connotation. And they're not just names well actually they are Victory is derived from the V Cross moniker and Newton from N Line.

But all of this naming business comes from the fact that like all enthusiasts, these two cars for me are more than just a amalgam of metal and plastic taking you from point A to B. It's an extension of my personality, a reflection of who I am. Each kilometre, each second I spend with them is an experience both beautiful and unforgettable.

Victory came at a time when I rebound from personal turmoil in search of better things in my life. She's an epitome of my success, a flag bearer of all good things happening in my life. She has taken me places I only dreamt of going earlier and continues to do so till this day. She's a legend, a beast like no other! And in her latest 3 liter avatar, a locomotive! Pulls like anything!! She does throw tantrums but that's ok...I'm used to them now!

Whilst, Newton is my long lost love, my beloved Polo GT. Hey wait I didn't give her a name did I? No I didn't...so lets call her "Philipa" which in Greek means a friend of horses. Kind of makes sense doesn't it?
I had to let her go during the dark times, but she came back to me in spirit and her soul now resides in Newton. She's back for good. That lost magic is finally back! Newton now wears the red GT badge proudly! Also, these two are an integral part of my life now. No doubt whatsoever.

So there it is, I now open this discussion for all of you by repeating the same question in a slightly different way...what's the name that you've given your car/s?

Cheers 🍻
Attached Thumbnails
Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-img_20231226_123437.jpg  

Old 14th February 2024, 23:04   #112
BHPian

Re: Have You Named Your Car/s?

Oh yes, we have had pet names for our cars even though we mostly refer to them just by the model names.
My first car was a Fiat Punto. It was named the Albatross. Not the fastest or the most agile, but an effortless long distance runner, just like an Albatross.
Presently I drive a Jeep Compass. Like many compass owners, the car is referred to as JC.
Wife has a ZS EV. I have named it The Flying Saucer; lightning fast, creepily silent and makes even creepier electronic sounds while on the move.
Old 14th February 2024, 23:31   #113
BANNED

Re: Have You Named Your Car/s?

My car is sometimes called "Dhanno", not by me though
Old 15th February 2024, 15:47   #114

A very Happy 20th Birthday to us all BHPians.

Voted: Yeah!!

In my case, I've christened my two beasts and kept things on the feminine side whilst doing so. Yes, I often use, "her" whilst talking about them or writing about them. Also, they already have been christened by the manufacturer but I'm talking about a unique name that you know, defines them both in some way or the other. A unique characteristic that I'm able to relate to.

For the Isuzu, I call her 'Victory' and the i20 'Newton'. Now, the Newton name is essentially limited to the boys/men a la Isaac Newton but I've taken liberties in this case and kept a feminine connotation. And they're not just names well actually they are Victory is derived from the V Cross moniker and Newton from N Line.

But all of this naming business comes from the fact that like all enthusiasts, these two cars for me are more than just an amalgam of metal and plastic taking you from point A to B. It's an extension of my personality, a reflection of who I am. Each kilometre, each second I spend with them is an experience both beautiful and unforgettable.

Victory came at a time when I rebounded from personal turmoil in search of better things in my life. She's an epitome of my success, a flag bearer of all good things happening in my life. She has taken me places I only dreamt of going earlier and continues to do so till this day. She's a legend, a beast like no other! And in her latest 3 liter avatar, a locomotive! Pulls like anything!! She does throw tantrums but that's ok...I'm used to them now!

Whilst, Newton is my long lost love, my beloved Polo GT. Hey wait I didn't give her a name did I? No I didn't...so let's call her "Philipa" which in Greek means a friend of horses. Kind of makes sense doesn't it?
I had to let her go during the dark times, but she came back to me in spirit and her soul now resides in Newton. She's back for good. That lost magic is finally back! Newton now wears the red GT badge proudly! Also, these two are an integral part of my life...that's for sure!

Cheers 🍻
Attached Thumbnails
Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-img_20240213_204045.jpg  

Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-img20230622145901.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks