Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you name your vehicles?
Yes 117 27.99%
No 301 72.01%
Voters: 418. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2022, 15:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?

I too don't name my cars / bikes. I call them by the names given by their parents (manufacturers). Like SX4, Jupiter, Pleasure etc.

Since we have two TVS Jupiters, we call them as Black Jupiter and Gray Jupiter.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 15:22   #47
BHPian

We don’t exactly give them names but we refer to them with something else.

White Tata Nexon - moota poochi (Tamil translated to bed bug)
Blue XL6 - blue bus
TorqMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 15:34   #48
BHPian

I personally do not name my cars but my friends have.
My first car, Palio 1.6 S10 was known as "Peeli Pandupi" (hindi for Yellow Submarine) and my gray Altis is named "Stardust" by my friends. However, I don't remember using these names to refer to my cars myself.
I personally prefer referring to the cars with the model names, like Fiesta, Nano, Figo, Altis etc. In fact the cars I have been most attached to, the Figo and the Fiesta have never been named by me or friends. So I don't feel naming a car makes you any more attached.
the.dogfather is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 15:52   #49
BHPian

Hehe, I have better things to attend to in life than name my vehicles. I also change my vehicles after 4-5 years regularly and hence it just sounds a stupid exercise to me.

In-fact I use generic terms like 'Car', 'Motorcycle', 'Scooter' and 'Cycle' for my modes of travel if I have to inform anyone anywhere about those. When there are multiple 'Cars' or 'Motorcycles' to choose from, I use the color or the brand name. No Marco, Johnny, Gaba, Theta, etc for me.

This is also one point people who aren't car enthusiasts find as funny when they read such matters at this forum

Last edited by sunilch : 14th July 2022 at 15:53.
sunilch is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 16:51   #50
BHPian

Once you start naming things, where do you stop?

If anything has to have a name in my life it would be the laptop I use to earn a living or my mobile phone with whom I spend a lot of time.
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 17:20   #51
BHPian

No for me. I'm not even using the name manufacturer already gave it. I use generic names such as Car, Bike, scooter etc.

Also it is not naming your vehicle, but renaming it.

Last edited by Asish_VK : 14th July 2022 at 17:21.
Asish_VK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 17:28   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
I too don't name my cars / bikes. I call them by the names given by their parents (manufacturers). Like SX4, Jupiter, Pleasure etc.
This is the reason I give my car/bike new (nick)name because they already have a name given by their manufacturer...
I mean why not? Some of us think our car/bike means more than just a vehicle. It's our way of showing affection to it.
So I would request fellow members to please don't call it "waste/cringe/nonsense" and respect our intentions/feelings because I am sure you guys don't call your dog just by its breed name (Labrador/German-shepherd) and instead give him/her a new name!
mad4nfs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 17:31   #53
BHPian

I remember when almost 15 years back one of my friend's father used to own a bright yellow Karizma R motorcycle. What a bike it was for our little joyrides. His father used to call it 'Tataiya' (hindi word for paper wasp) so much that it became second nature for all of us kids to call it that.

In my opinion, if one is naming their vehicle, the name should be short, sweet, apt and not weird to speak in normal conversation. Now imagine if he called it some complex or fancy foreign language name, only he would've called it that.

Last edited by DriverNo.420 : 14th July 2022 at 17:34.
DriverNo.420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 17:36   #54
BANNED

I call them by their official names.

For family, earlier it was black car (Ecosport S), white car (Sonet) and choti gadi (Pulsar 180). Now everyone in the family calls them by their official names given by the manufacturer.
CR07 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 17:36   #55
BHPian

Guilty as charged! So voted YES!

Suzuki Swift - Nicknamed Saber.

RE Standard 350 - Nicknamed Bomber. Cause it's characteristics are relatable to that of WW2 B17 Bombers.
Old, Heavy, Loud, Gas Guzzler and yet Dependable, Frugal, with [pun intended]Bullet proof Reliablity!

Last edited by Skyline_GT : 14th July 2022 at 17:37.
Skyline_GT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 17:51   #56
BHPian

Having names for your car/bike, I think its such a personal thing. I haven't had names for most of the vehicles that I've owned, but a few with whom I've shared a special bond with. The bullet which was with me for about 20 odd years had a name, thats simply too personal to share.
My daughter loved the Tata Sierra and named it "Bus", coz of the alpine window and the space around. Otherwise, the Premier Padmini (S1) is Mandakini, the Landmaster is Neelan (short for Neelakandan), the Bajaj Cub is Padma, MM540 is simply jeep, and now the XUV is Airavath.
Attached Thumbnails
Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-whatsapp-image-20220714-5.40.54-pm.jpeg  

jeeva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 18:00   #57
BHPian

Voted no. I like my cars very much and I do take good care of them but I've never named them and do not intend on doing so in the future.
Old 14th July 2022, 18:07   #58
BHPian

Voted - Yes.

And ofcourse, every car has to have a name as we love them.

Meet Munni
Attached Thumbnails
Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-munni.jpg  

woodstock3001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 18:20   #59
BHPian

I love my cars, but not to the extend where I consider them persons that we have to give them a name. Object Attachment is a condition most of us go through in our childhoods, and is an important part of the growing process. But we eventually grow out of it.

I was extremely sad when I had to sell my first car cos I was travelling overseas. So I left it with a friend and he did the rest. After that I have not felt an attachment towards any car I owned - and I do keep my cars for ~5years.
Old 14th July 2022, 18:21   #60
BHPian

Yes and no.

I have given a name to all of my vehicles, some of them christened after many years since the ownership began.

For example, my first bike, a 2012 Yamaha FZ-S had no name. When I got my second bike, a 2020 KTM 390 Adventure, that also had no christened name but I wanted to call it the Mantis. Eventually, someone asked if my bike has a name and I just said Mantis - so it became that. Therefore, nearly 10 years later, my FZ became the Old Boy. When I got my first car, a 2021 Mahindra XUV300, I christened it the Yoda because the other two had names so why not. But I don't refer to them by names at all.

So I don't know if the naming makes any difference, but it is just there as a nickname.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks