Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you name your vehicles?
Yes 117 27.99%
No 301 72.01%
Voters: 418. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2022, 14:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?

Hi Guys,

Putting out a thread after a long time.

I wanted to know what you guys feel about naming your vehicles? There was a time I used to name my bikes, I used to feel that naming my bike made it more personal to me, calling it by the name gave it a larger space in my life than any 'depreciating asset' would, but with age, I feel that... 'its not needed' to put it mildly.

Currently I have a 3 bikes and 1 car, and another one is on the way. But I have no inherent feeling of naming the new one. I am 41 btw.

cheers,
ac

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th July 2022 at 15:07. Reason: Minor typo
ac 427 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 14:28   #2
BHPian

re: Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?

I'd say no, not because I don't like the idea of naming a vehicle, but because it'll exponentially increase the difficulty of dealing with having to part ways with it; much like losing a family member. I definitely see the appeal though.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 14:39   #3
KPR
BANNED

A car is a depreciating asset. Already we all have some sort emotional quotient which the manufacturers very well know and playing with it. Why should we fall trap into this namkaran? No way.
KPR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 14:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Naming a car. Of course. It can't be otherwise for me. Currently Brown Mare, the Volvo XC60 and Bagheera, the Lexus ES300h and Ramkali, the Amaze used for utility runs.
V.Narayan is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 14:51   #5
BHPian

Whatever is the simplest.

When it's one car, simply gaadi or car.

When it's more than one just the brand name or model name depending on the fewer number of syllables.
ajayc123 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 15:07   #6
BHPian

Definitely, it has to be named albeit the namkaran function. Currently riding between a Black Knight and a Falcon although both names sound like an erstwhile car model. My fav was Christie thanks to Stephen King and the fact being the car had a mind of its own, would start whenever it wanted !!!
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 15:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have a Honda Civic V AT which I named “Great White” and a Triumph Street Triple RS which I named “Sally”. It’s all time pass for me actually, since I forget this naming thing after sometime. For me once the first couple of months have passed, I don’t really care about names or anything else.

My vehicles have to be flawless - mechanically, good looking - relatively and serve me/my purpose. The minute they start giving me trouble, as in real trouble, unnecessary mechanic issues etc then it’s bye bye time. I get rid of them and buy what catches my fancy next within my set parameters of course.

Being practical, they are there for my convenience and not for me to serve them.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 15:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

On this question, I have this anecdotal tale when I was meeting a wife of a bhpian who had names for his car and bike (I wasn't aware of this fact), just after purchasing my car.

She: what do you call your vehicle?

Me: (no sarcasm, with full sincerity) This car? I call it SCross.
ninjatalli is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 16:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

I for one do not believe in naming my vehicles. It is just the brand name or saying it as a bike, car or scooter.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 17:08   #10
BHPian

While I wish to name my car, I am very bad at finding (good) names. As a result, I simply call our car, Alto. Currently, I am working hard to find a good name for our newborn daughter!
gischethans is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 17:35   #11
BHPian

No for me. The car already has a name - given to it by the OEM. And I don't see any appeal in giving it a special name.

That said, we do have nicknames for some of our friends car's - a colleagues Harrier is called the "Hathi", for obvious reasons of its size. Another colleagues Kia Seltos is called "Vandru" (Monkey) as there was a funny anecdote related to the sunroof - When he was buying the car, the salesman was trying to dissuade him from buying the sunroof model and so he took his Dad aside and told him in Gujarati that "Vandru sunroof par kudshe to todi nakhshe" (If a Monkey jumps on your sunroof it will smash it).

So my vote goes to "Meh" on naming my vehicles.
GJ01 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 17:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Should have added a poll for a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
No for me. The car already has a name - given to it by the OEM. And I don't see any appeal in giving it a special name.
I agree, also some names iv heard are so cringe i wonder what the owners were thinking.
My vote is a strong Meh.
Old 12th July 2022, 18:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Should have added a poll for a better idea.

I agree, also some names iv heard are so cringe i wonder what the owners were thinking.
My vote is a strong Meh.
+1 on that.

many on this forum itself have some name that make me think 'what were you thinking'

btw how do you add a poll to this?
ac 427 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 18:35   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I love my cars and I don’t mind naming them for my own personal satisfaction.
So my Cooper is the Little Red Devil. My Gypsy is the Green Spitfire. My Thar is the Jungle Raider.
But these are not ‘names’ as in proper nouns. They are more like adjectives/ descriptors.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 19:10   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

While this discussion goes on, adding my bit but in a tangent: Naming one's vehicle gives an interesting view to the person's thinking. Psychology students can give a better insight into this.

Long back when I had the Sumo Victa, it sometimes was referred to as 'the truck' in the threads. It was a general term, But that was back then, when we had fewer members, fewer cars, and almost unique - just couple of members with Sumo's. But no, no name.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks