Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you name your vehicles?
Yes 117 27.99%
No 301 72.01%
Voters: 418. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2022, 18:59   #61
BHPian

re: Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?

Yeah! Why not?

All my machines were given a name on day 1 or sometimes even before I own them

My first bike, an RE Desert Storm was named ‘Gabriel’ and also shortly ‘Gabby’ which I had to sell it off in just 2 months time due to some personal issues and I stayed bikeless for close to an year while the emotional attachment to my first bike was carried in the name.
Thus continued me naming my next bike, the Honda Hornet 160R as ‘Micheal’ and shortly ‘Mike’ and it did not end there when the Cbr 250R came home. I call him ‘Christopher’ or ‘Chris’ in short.

I named my first car, a Ford EcoSport ‘Gabriel’ again trying to link my first bike and car.

While it might seem funny, there’s a tinge of satisfaction for the inner child in me who was always in awe of machines from when I was a kid. It feels similar to getting a pet, naming it and taking good care of it throughout.
raiuday is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 19:19   #62
BHPian

Always and without exception.

Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-fc877d086c774168951088a1b354d2cd.jpeg

Read why here:-https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5227060 (The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review)
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 19:59   #63
BHPian

One name carried over from car to car. Initially Golden Beige Getz Diesel was christened 'Black Bear' for some unknown reason, now the Silver VW Jetta carries the name .
Old 14th July 2022, 20:26   #64
Senior - BHPian

Voted No
I realised that I have always addressed the vehicles using their model name or a nickname based on the model (and never a proper noun)
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 20:26   #65
BHPian

Interesting thread. While I hadn't done it in the past, but the acquisition of the very special 21' BMW M340i xDrive, I did name her the "Blauer Pfeil". I have an initial purchase and ownership thread as well.

Getting that bimmer was special in many ways.

I guess, if the car is special, it deserves a name. Adds so much character to it.
nikhilarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 20:59   #66
BHPian

No. Its 'my or baba's car' or 'your or aai's car' when we talk about cars in the family. When talking to friends or extended family we use brand name like Honda or Maruti. About 2 wheeler - we just call it Activa !!

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 14th July 2022 at 21:10.
ScorpWarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 21:18   #67
BHPian

Yes, I have named all the vehicles I have owned. For me it is an emotional bond between me and my non-living metal object, for it provides me a lot more than just a commute from point A to B.

The feeling of getting on the road and feeling the freedom that air gives you, it is an Intangible I cannot express with words.

In fact, my Wife named our latest baby(she understands what I feel and is an equal partner in feeling this way now)

My first Bike was a 2006 Pulsar 180 - Wolf
My First car was a second hand 2001 Honda City VTEC - Old Lady
My latest is the 2021 Jeep Compass - Toothless
R.I.P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 21:25   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P View Post
Yes, I have named all the vehicles I have owned. For me it is an emotional bond between me and my non-living metal object, for it provides me a lot more than just a commute from point A to B.

The feeling of getting on the road and feeling the freedom that air gives you, it is an Intangible I cannot express with words.

In fact, my Wife named our latest baby(she understands what I feel and is an equal partner in feeling this way now)

My first Bike was a 2006 Pulsar 180 - Wolf
My First car was a second hand 2001 Honda City VTEC - Old Lady
My latest is the 2021 Jeep Compass - Toothless
I am quite curious to know the motivation of naming your Jeep Toothless. The dictionary meaning is:

toothless
/ˈtuːθləs/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
having no teeth, typically through old age.
"a toothless old man"
lacking genuine force or effectiveness.
"laws that are well intentioned but toothless"
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 21:27   #69
BHPian

Well the Model S has the grille all blacked out and we have it in Green color. My Wife looked at it and said it looks like Toothless from the movie "How to train your dragon". I found it to be really cool name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
I am quite curious to know the motivation of naming your Jeep toothless. The dictionary meaning is:

toothless
/ˈtuːθləs/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
having no teeth, typically through old age.
"a toothless old man"
lacking genuine force or effectiveness.
"laws that are well intentioned but toothless"
R.I.P is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 21:29   #70
BHPian

Voted YES.
But wont call it using this pet name and it is a personal touch, Only i know this name.

Meet RAMBO.

Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-whatsapp-image-20220714-9.22.25-pm.jpeg

Tough, Aggressive, & Rumble of 1.6 TDI
Old 14th July 2022, 21:46   #71
BHPian

Votes Yes.
Naming my car makes it personal and helps us keep it for longer. On the off-topic I want to make a personalized decal for my car, does anyone know where can I get it done?
nisshith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 23:38   #72

I name my cars and bikes after pokemons! Alphabetical and I try to match the nature of the car/bike to the pokemon. Say, bikes are flying pokemons

1. Blue Yamaha Rx135- Arcticuno. Blue. Legendary. Flying type.
2. Octavia vRs- Blastoise. The liftback reminds me of the small tail of blastoise and the sloping roof is the shell. Plus it's mighty powerful.
3. Orange crush Interceptor- Charizard. No Brainer. Isn't it!

More to come!
Articuno96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 00:12   #73
BHPian

Good poll.

Since I drive a black SUV and a white hatch I simply refer to them as “kaali gaddi” and “Chitti gaddi” by default to make my family members understand which car I am referring to.

On certain occasions I do take out their names too as intended by the manufacturer when with friends.

However, for my kids it’s “Optimus Prime” for the Black SUV and “ Bumblebee” for the white hatch since they are fond of transformers.

Love.
NST440 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 00:14   #74
BHPian

I cannot vote( yet). So only points: I do get emotional with whatever gadgets or machinaries I owned or owning. But naming them does not look logical to me. Never named car( owned 6 cars) or bikes( lost count). Only time I feel it is logical if one has more vehicles with same model, make, color etc.,( Nothing to differentiate) which is improbable( if not impossible). So no names in my family.
Old 15th July 2022, 07:01   #75
BHPian

Well not all but just my scorpio got named. I have a 16 year old scorpio and 13 year old twins. My twins literally grew up with scorpio 😄 and have developed their own bonding with the vehicle. Much before they learnt the difference between living and non-living things, they started calling their scorpio as " Bobby bhaiya" and continue to do so. Have had many others after scorpio and they never bothered to name any one of them!!
alokk0912 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks