Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you name your vehicles?
Yes 117 27.99%
No 301 72.01%
Voters: 418. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2022, 11:54   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?

Nope.

I find it weird to name the cars. Why have that bond over something inanimate?

It is just my opinion, no offense to those who name their cars. One of my best friends names every car and motorcycle he owns and even refers to them by that name when he talks to me about them.

Just an imaginary scenario if someone named his cars, specially in the feminine gender
What is the name of your kwid ?
I call it Devasena

Hey, Where is your Devasena?
I sold my Devasena

Yuck, sounds rather bad, doesn't it?

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 14th July 2022 at 11:57.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 11:55   #32
BHPian

I plead guilty!
I like naming my Vehicles. This habit is coming from my days in uniform in an armoured regiment, where its a tradition to name every tank after renowned warriors/gods and goddesses. For example the name of my first tank as a Tank Troop Leader in a Jat squadron was 'Amba' - One of the many names of Goddess Shakti and that of my Command Tank as a Squadron Commander of a Sikh squadron was 'Banda Bahadur' - the legendary Sikh General. I believe that naming your vehicle gives it a bit of individuality and enhances it's personality to an extent.
Meet my ZULU
Attached Thumbnails
Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-screenshot_20220611232659_gallery.jpg  

Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-screenshot_20220611232750_gallery.jpg  

theZULU is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 11:58   #33
BHPian

he he he

Why should we name cars when they already have names?
Old 14th July 2022, 11:59   #34
BHPian

We do not christen cars like many enthusiasts do. But somehow our cars end up with nicknames, originating from a joke or whatever.

For instance, our first car got the name 'Dhanno', from Dhanno of Sholay. It was like "chal Dhanno" before every trip, or "Dhanno ko jaagate hain" when I would step down to start the car.

My present car, which is Red is colour, drew some criticisms from my wife, who was not sure about the colour. She said it looks like a tomato.

So, we call it tamatter!!
amitayu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 12:06   #35
BHPian

Being a huge Archie’s comics fan, I named my Dolphin Honda City - Betsey - in honour of the 1916 Ford Model T jalopy that Archie owned.
In the same tradition, our new car is Ronnie after my favourite character Veronica Lodge.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ithaca : 14th July 2022 at 12:09.
Ithaca is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 12:08   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm. Naming your vehicles. Maybe if the vehicle has so much character or is close to one's heart, then one can name it. But, my problem is where to use those names? Ofcourse yes,in our forum. But if it is not in one's mother tongue/ vernacular language there isn't much chance to use the name IRL. IMHO, I would prefer others (family/friends) referring to your vehicle with that name, than just oneself.

In my circle:
1. Kelavi (old woman)- '79 Hilux
When I first heard of it, used to be horrified when my parents and uncles used to talk about repairing the kelavi, selling the kelavi, giving the kelavi, using the kelavi, before realising they were referring to a pickup truck. Among the many pickups in our company, this '79 Hilux was dad's. And to say it was a lucky charm for him would be an understatement. But he let it go, when one of our bakeries needed a pickup. Utilitarianism is key for Gulf NRIs. Circa, late 90s the Hilux came back to my dad since the old fleet was being disposed for newer vehicles. He restored it almost to factory spec glory. Chrome gleaming in an era when chrome was out of date. I learned driving in it, rather learned clutch modulation in it. (9 yrs old in a barren land) Was pressed into service in our new business concern, but he had to let it go again soon. Well, since then it has been a gradual downhill for us financial-wise and he would always warn his brothers/cousins to not sell their lucky charm vehicles.

2. Ivan/ivante (he/his)- '81 Cressida
We have heard people referring to their vehicles as he/she, his/her. No names, but calling it as one would a person. In my dad's case, his Cressida was the only vehicle I have heard him referring to it fondly. Rest all are just, vehicles to him.

3. Van (Van)- '91 Omni
Well. Self explanatory. But so strong was the 'Van' usage and association, that dad would absent mindedly call our '09 WagonR as 'Van'.

4. Karumbi (black girl)- '09 WagonR
Coined by my grandmother, I was initially appalled by the choice of name. But the name grew favour, and everyone in the family started calling it.

Last edited by DicKy : 14th July 2022 at 12:11.
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 12:28   #37

This is my first post here, so hello everyone. I am very happy to be a part of this wonderful community.

We do name all our cars, because they're family and we keep them for a very long time.

It started when I watched Gone in 60 seconds, and all the names are from the movie (except for my wife's car).

https://journal.classiccars.com/2019...in-60-seconds/

Meet -
Patty(Patricia) - Our Premier 138D (1998-2009)
Ellie (Eleanor) - Our Tata Indigo CS TDI (2009-2013)
Iris - Our Ford Fiesta 1.6 Duratec (2013 - still with us)
Katie - Our Suzuki Alto K10 AMT (2016 - still with us)
And my wife's
Scout - Suzuki Wagon R (2010 - still with us)
Attached Thumbnails
Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-patty.jpg  

Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-ellie.jpg  

Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-iris.jpg  

Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-katie.jpg  

Naming your vehicles | Meh or Yeah?-scout.jpg  

shivraj737 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 13:10   #38
BHPian

Fun thread.

I don't name my cars but my wife does. Our i20 was Sparky, a name I didn't care about either way (it came from Hyundai's name for the color - Sparkle Blue). But she nailed it with our dark gray Seltos - one look and she knew it would be Greebo, from our shared love of Terry Pratchett.

Last edited by malim : 14th July 2022 at 13:11. Reason: Typos, incomplete.
malim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 13:40   #39
BHPian

Yes, I do name my bikes/cars.

My Benelli TNT25 was called "Raptor" and I've named my Classic 350 as "Sierra"
Old 14th July 2022, 14:01   #40
BHPian

Well, I also do not name my vehicles. Although, I would not mind removing a few characters from the actual name to just name is easy to say / pronounce. Like the Alcazar is going to be delivered this Sunday and instead of calling it Alcazar, we prefer calling it Alka.
Old 14th July 2022, 14:19   #41
BHPian

No. Never named my vehicles (2&4 wheelers) as I believe they are just materials we use. They’re used to serve a purpose and they do it, so naming them doesn’t make any sense to me!
cdrajeevkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 14:25   #42
BHPian

Voted Yes.

My car is named "Highway Star", after Deep Purple's legendary song. On an open highway, the car drives as if in sync to Ritchie Blackmore's solo.

It is difficult to set aside emotions when driving a FIAT.

Name:  jogfalls1.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  417.0 KB
mayukh42 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 14:47   #43
BHPian

The vehicle already has a name given by the manufacturer. Giving it another name is super cringe IMO 😬
Pri2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 15:11   #44
BHPian

Not that I name my cars, but then this time around I got a new Jeep Compass (white colour), my daughter and wife mentioned it to be the 'White Elephant' while naming it on the JeepLife app. I still prefer calling it simply 'Jeep' (and that actually sounds fantastic, at least to me).
Old 14th July 2022, 15:19   #45
BANNED

I had a name for my Beat. I called it Noisy Boy from that wolverine robot movie. The Beat used to make quite a bit of engine and road noise. But soon, I grew out of it and just started calling them by the names their manufacturers gave them. I call the Beat, the Beat, the Nano, Nano and the Navi, Navi. There was no need to give them names.

It wouldn't make sense even if I had 2 of the same make and model. Even then, I'd call it Red Beat and White Beat. Even if they were the same color, it's easier to call them new Beat and old Beat. Because, it's rare that I (or anyone) would ever buy 2 copies of the same vehicle, let alone of the same color and around the same time.
MaheshY1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks