Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2007, 12:25   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

And yet Neighbouring is ok! But, of course, it is an adjective, not part of a verb.

But wait! What's this Neighborer? Sounds to me like someone who horses find tedious. Except in America, I suppose...
Old 11th November 2007, 12:48   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Its true that the English here is mostly pretty good. I really appreciate the moderators' decision not to allow posting in SMS (text message) talk, which is one of the worst things ever to happen to our language.
That is one of the most, if not the worst thing to happen to English language. Even though I can understand it (lazy-arse friends who sms all the time!), I hate it from the core of my heart.

P.S. Needless to say, I graduated with a degree in English
Old 11th November 2007, 12:53   #363
Senior - BHPian

Nice Thread Sam...

Just wanted to add in some points ..

1) Usage of bullet points or numbering while putting forth one's view... increases the readability of the post
2) Always refer to other people's names with a capital for the first alphabet - for e.g Sam and not sam
Old 11th November 2007, 14:48   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
...a capital for the first alphabet - for e.g Sam and not sam
Sorry, cannot let this pass; not on this thread. You mean 'letter', not 'alphabet'. The English language HAS only the one alphabet!
Old 16th January 2008, 21:40   #365
BHPian

dumb question about Indian automotive vocabulary

At first I noticed that Indian automotive magazines have taken to refering to the cabin of its car as its "interiors". I was mystified at the use of the plural, instead of the singular "interior".

Now I see Autocar India refering not just to "Interiors" but also "Exteriors".

I see this again and again in all the mags. I can't get used to it because the car doesn't have multiple exteriors or interiors. A car has an interior and an exterior.

What gives with this strange/wierd English in the indian auto press?
Old 16th January 2008, 21:51   #366
Senior - BHPian

Very simple!

Actually they are referring to "Interior/Exterior components" by saying "Interior/Exterior".

Instead of saying, cubby holes, seat fabric, armrest, centre console, they say "coming to the Interiors". Which should be read as "coming to the Interior components/appointments".

Its almost of the same vein as countless such improvisations done in other countries say "for here or to go" or "Restrooms" which actually means nothing or different in actual English language.
Old 16th January 2008, 21:57   #367
Senior - BHPian

I second what 1100D has posted above. They actually refer to multiple components in exterior/interior hence they term it as "Exteriors/Interiors" instead of writing/informing "interior parts" and "exterior parts" which is a little lengthy.
Old 16th January 2008, 22:07   #368

I guess you're being a bit pedantic here.

Personally, I don't see it as weird!

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th January 2008 at 22:26. Reason: Formatting removed.
Old 16th January 2008, 22:24   #369
Team-BHP Support

Its actually due to Astrological reasons. You see, many film actors change their name to get more popular. S stands for Shar Rukh Khan/Salman Khan etc., so astrologers stuggested auto mags that in as many words as possible add an s. And add as many words as possible which start with an S.
So now you see, every car is sexy, every car is superb, and the Skoda cars, esp the Superb are reviewed multiple times.
Old 16th January 2008, 22:25   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I second what 1100D has posted above. They actually refer to multiple components in exterior/interior hence they term it as "Exteriors/Interiors" instead of writing/informing "interior parts" and "exterior parts" which is a little lengthy.

Actually both the arguments have validity. While they started using "exteriors/interiors" to refer to multiple components which constitute the exterior/interior, on certain occasions IMO, they use the plural where the singular would have been more appropriate.
Old 16th January 2008, 22:28   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Look... it's nowhere near as bad as the two made up and useless syllables at the end of upgradation

But it is certainly wrong and an ugly use of language.

The big problem is that journalists are no longer expected to learn their language properly, and that is true of English in it's UK home. Just look at the BBC News website, especially the headlines: sometimes I click on them because I can't understand what they are on about.

You could write to the magazine and complain.
Old 16th January 2008, 22:33   #372
Senior - BHPian

North American vs UK

A famous wit once remarked that the United states and England are 2 countries separated by a common language.

There is really no right or wrong to it but different English speakers will refer to collective things differently in the singular or plural. For instance. England natives would say that "Manchester United are boarding the plane for Sweden now." The use of the plural "are" refers to people, plural, because this is a soccer team with several people belonging to it. In the United States the proper way to say it is "Manchester United is boarding the plane for Sweden now." because Manchester United is regarded as a single club.

English is a difficult, silly, inefficient and slang filled language. The only things good about it are that it is spoken everywhere and most technical knowledge is written in it.
Old 16th January 2008, 22:51   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Very simple!

Actually they are referring to "Interior/Exterior components" by saying "Interior/Exterior".
At first I dismissed it because I thought "Interiors" must mean a collective reference to all the components of the interior. But then I realize they also use language like "The interiors are spacious".

Thats just incorrect English.

Or I suppose its Indian English. We're like that only.
Old 16th January 2008, 22:55   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

No... we (Brits) will say that about Man United because our language hasn't been taught properly in schools for the last few generations. It has been dumbed down. Grammar has been struck out as somehow elitist!

Otherwise, we also would say Machester United is bording the plane...

Hey! There's a thread on English that Sam started... maybe we should take this over there
Old 17th January 2008, 11:55   #375
BHPian

<rant>

This just a symptom of bad english spreading its way around Indian media. I cringe everytime I hear newsreaders and journalists say the word "Anyways". Atleast people in the media should use proper grammer for the language they use, be it English, Hindi, Marathi or any other language

</rant>

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks