Team-BHP - A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/3474-guide-eating-out-bangalore-150.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by adroit_91 (Post 2780464)
I went to Indijoe's on Old Madras Road today, for their lunch buffet. Although it did not make any sense to me, as absolutely nothing but water was "served" to us, they added a 10% service "charge" on top of the standard VAT and service "tax"! I have made peace with the compulsory "tip" when I go to these places, but asking for it with a buffet is being a little too greedy!

agree: Same issue with the lunch buffet at Royal Orchid hotel, old airport road as well. We were billed a service charge for a lunch buffet where almost everything was on the buffet counter, except for a welcome drink.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit (Post 2781119)
Fanoos used to be very good once upon a time, 10 ~ yrs ago. I used to be a regular too. From the last few years there is a drastic reduction in the quality and taste.

The beef rolls were tasting like some paste roasted on coals :eek:

There is a place called Taj on Mosque rd which sells some very nice beef rolls. Its opposite the Sangeetha mobile outlet , just next to Casio department store. He makes very limited quantity of rolls, best to go there before 9 pm.

The beef biriyani is nice too. Light and fragrant without much spices.

Not far from Fanoos is another place called Siddiq. Have you tried that? :D

The beef Shiek Kabab there is just brilliant!

Fanoos serves Halim during Ramzan. That's pretty good too. But I prefer my meat slightly chewy and not paste-like. Even the regular rolls seem like that now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2781182)

This is the place in the lane behind the mosque,which leads to the back entrance of Baldwins school, right ? I forgot the name of the place, but yes, this place has some very nice sheek kabab ! Too much of a rush of people there though :)

Just thought I'd do an update for the folks in / around Sarjapur road

Beijing Bites - their steamed momos are pretty good. Don't hurry them on this and you'll get a really nice plate of yummy momos. Other food is at par with any other Chinese place

Hyderabadi House - their food has become more greasy by the day and so I am not sure. We try to avoid this place now

Vishwaratna Hotel - lunch buffet is daylight robbery and they are completely unorganized - please avoid

Royal Rajasthan - pretty good veg food and the ambiance is also pretty neat. You'll have to wait for food sometimes though

Benitos - very poor service and food quality is just passable. They used to be really good but somehow have nose-dived into a pretentious joint

La Casa / Rooftop Grill - the food is a bit over-priced but the ambiance makes up for it. Their beverage selection is also good. I love their all-day breakfast, sometimes I take it even as dinner! :) They have a different (read: limited) menu at the Rooftop grill. The fish in oyster sauce is pretty good. Beverages at the Rooftop grill are also a bit overpriced

Fisherman's Wharf (newly opened at Harlur Road) - very nice ambiance except when they spray the mosquito repellent fog. Thoroughly annoyed that they kept going at it with all the patrons inside engulfing us in a white smelly cloud. The beverages are fresh (ordered a mocktail also), the fish dishes were pretty good. A bit too pricey though.

Sammuk - their Chinese restaurant is still pretty good but the Indian one is just so-so. Their lounge on top is too dimly lit with a blue hue but the beverages are reasonably priced.

Kanua - They have very limited selections but the coriander chicken and ghee roast chicken are pretty good. PM about this place as I cannot write more about this on TBHP.

Dessert places

Naturals - their flavors are really unique but somehow I am seeing a drop in their quality. The ice creams used to taste realllyy good but not so much now. Maybe we need to stop going there so often! :)

Happy Endings (right below the Ruh Restaurant) - their crepes are amazing and so are their cakes. We ordered a birthday cake and even people who typically avoid eating cakes were all over them. Do try this place!

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2781182)

I thought Siddiqui was in Cox Town? We used to be regulars there during our law school days - cheap and good non veg food.:D
Sad to know that Fanoos has taken a dip in quality :deadhorse. Have not been there in ages again an old college haunt. Used to swear by their beef rolls then.

@Mad Max - Thanks, that's helpful. PM'ed you about Kanua..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 2781216)
Just thought I'd do an update for the folks in / around Sarjapur road

One more to the list:

Punjaabi Times on ORR above Evok furniture store and just before Ravindu Toyota.

Have been there twice and food is really good. Service is improving but not great. They are still a bit slow in taking orders and getting the food.

Definitely worth it for the Sev Aloo Makkai Tikki and Palak papdi. Best north indian food I've had this side of town for veggies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit (Post 2781203)
This is the place in the lane behind the mosque,which leads to the back entrance of Baldwins school, right ? I forgot the name of the place, but yes, this place has some very nice sheek kabab ! Too much of a rush of people there though :)

Yup, that's the one! It's a mad rush alright. In fact, it's hard to drive past that place after 6 on most days. With smoke bellowing out and people rushing in to get their orders, it's just absolute madness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arindambasu13 (Post 2781249)
I thought Siddiqui was in Cox Town? We used to be regulars there during our law school days - cheap and good non veg food.:D
Sad to know that Fanoos has taken a dip in quality :deadhorse. Have not been there in ages again an old college haunt. Used to swear by their beef rolls then.

They have outlets around, I suppose.

There is a Shahi in Frazer-Town as well, just as there is one in Indiranagar. Boy, it's been long since I've sampled that. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 2781378)
One more to the list:

Punjaabi Times on ORR above Evok furniture store and just before Ravindu Toyota.

Have been there twice and food is really good. Service is improving but not great. They are still a bit slow in taking orders and getting the food.

Thanks for this update; will definitely try it out sometime soon. Closer to my home, there is a Punjabi Times restaurant opposite Shoppers' stop, Bannerghatta road. Is it a branch of the same group? The food in this Punjabi Times also has always been good. The only downside is the lack of space. The tables are too closely spaced, making it very claustrophobic on weekends.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit (Post 2780318)
How did they charge you both VAT & Service tax in the same bill ?
:confused: Am i missing something here !?

And the final amount was for how many people ? :)

Of course the service tax is nothing but the tip. Many restaurants do this so that they collect the takings and share it equally among the staff. To what extent this is happening is anyones guess.

Even I found that surprising but could not ask for the details with the people around me stupid:

The damage was caused by 6 people.

Had been to MG's (Shilton Grand) on MG Road for dinner yesterday, and shanti Sagar etc are much better than this. Food is reasonable, but smelly interiors, AC was pathetic. I had to fan myself while sitting inside.
Very bad experience.
Its not the first time that I had been there, but definitely the place is on decline. (For a decent veg only place on MG Road)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2781380)

They have outlets around, I suppose.

There is a Shahi in Frazer-Town as well, just as there is one in Indiranagar. Boy, it's been long since I've sampled that. :)

This is not an outlet, I did ask them if this was from the management or just an licensed outlet, turns out that though they sound same he said spell wise its different and so are the owners.

But the rolls and wheel kabbas are yum.

-Sajan

Has anyone visited this place called Mozo Restaurant @ Coles Road.?

I got Mutton Sukka parceled and it was great.It was priced at Rs 140.I am planning to visit this place very soon.

Any review of Spicy Restaurant, near Kodava Samaj,Vasant Nagar.?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD (Post 2780898)
I had chicken Dum biryani for lunch yesterday @ Fanoos Cafe, Johnson's Market and found it to be good.

Priced at Rs 100,this does not hurt your wallet as well.

Guys,

Sorry for the confusion. The chicken Dum Biryani i had was at Fidha Kabab house(next to Fanoos Cafe), not @ Fanoos Cafe as mentioned earlier.

I had the same for lunch yesterday and boy, it was yummy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 2781216)
Beijing Bites - their steamed momos are pretty good. Don't hurry them on this and you'll get a really nice plate of yummy momos. Other food is at par with any other Chinese place

Momos will taste much better at Amdos Tibetian Restaurant near Austin Town BDA Complex. Also the prices are pretty easy on the wallet. You will find typical Tibetian dishes like shapales, thupka etc. Dont look for an ambience here as its run of mill place, but momo's are tasty and never spoilt my stomach. Please don't try the noodles here as its quite oily.