Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2024, 18:16   #4291

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
You should definitely try Paradise biriyani. I have visited their main branch in Hyderabad and it was delicious. I hope the Bangalore branch is equally good.
While I have tried their Hyderabad branch and found it decent, it still fell behind the likes of Shadab (Hyderabadis are blessed to have so many options!). Plus I have not heard great reviews of Paradise's Bangalore outlet
Old 29th March 2024, 10:17   #4292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcontessafan View Post
1. We like the Hyderabadi style biryani, but also sometimes prefer the less spicy lucknowi style.
2. We have tried a few - Meghana, Potful, RnR, BBK, Behrouz. Meghana was spicy, and we did not like the concept of dum rice and meat being separate. RnR/Donne style was not to our liking. BBK/Potful/Behrouz had consistency issues.
Welcome to Bangalore.
Given the varieties of Biryani we can get in the city (from various parts of the country), we are definitely spoilt for choice. However, some of us old Bengalureans consider Whitefield as a city with a different STD code

Anyways, back to Biryanis. From your comments, it looks like you don't prefer the one pot biryani : So, out goes donne, thalappakatti, nellore/andhra , bhatkal etc.
Have you tried Rahham's Biryani . They deliver via Zomato. We definitely have a fan club of their mutton biryani. Do not go by google reviews because those are by people who go to judge service. Here, the dish does all the talking.
Then there's Alishan in Koramangla. Their Kati rolls are also decent and will also ensure that you reach out for the strip of antacid once done.
Nandhana Palace's Nellore biryani is on the spicy side and may not suit your palate.

Start with these and keep us posted

Btw, remember that Zomato Legends also deliver delicacies from all over India, in case you are craving for something else.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 10:37   #4293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcontessafan View Post
BHPians, we moved to Bangalore less than a year back from Gurgaon and live in Whitefield area. We have been looking for good biryani options ever since, either for ordering in or dine-in.
1. We like the Hyderabadi style biryani, but also sometimes prefer the less spicy lucknowi style.
2. We have tried a few - Meghana, Potful, RnR, BBK, Behrouz. Meghana was spicy, and we did not like the concept of dum rice and meat being separate. RnR/Donne style was not to our liking. BBK/Potful/Behrouz had consistency issues.

We are still looking for that delicious biryani meal, please share recommendations.
You can try Biriyani Zone. Bit spicy, but consistent.
Caffeinated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 10:56   #4294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
However, some of us old Bengalureans consider Whitefield as a city with a different STD code
Well, that's too bad, and our loss. Whitefield has a vibrant and varied restaurant scene. And a lot of 'legendary old Bangalore' institutions aren't worth a visit anymore, many of them are now running just on reputation and nostalgia alone. Now with the Metro, a lot of good places in Whitefield are easily accessible.

(Having been born and raised in Bangalore (from the 80s), I find this "Old Bangalore"/"Those new areas aren't Bangalore" thing very limiting.)

Last edited by am1m : 29th March 2024 at 11:00.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 11:43   #4295
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
What would you recommend for a good authentic Punjabi dhaba food outlet? Our go-to place is Manjit Da Dhaba in Frazer Town but that's pure veg; plus his food options are limited (but very good). When I do a general search, the ones that pop out are more mellowed and/or cosmopolitan kind of outlets (e.g. Chula Chauki Da Dhaba) that cater to a larger/wider set of audience.

Looking for suggestions that ideally would satisfy a north indian / Punjabi family (if you know what I mean).
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 11:56   #4296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Guys,
What would you recommend for a good authentic Punjabi dhaba food outlet? Our go-to place is Manjit Da Dhaba in Frazer Town but that's pure veg; plus his food options are limited (but very good). When I do a general search, the ones that pop out are more mellowed and/or cosmopolitan kind of outlets (e.g. Chula Chauki Da Dhaba) that cater to a larger/wider set of audience.

Looking for suggestions that ideally would satisfy a north indian / Punjabi family (if you know what I mean).
Can't comment on dine-in but Box8 is the closest to authentic North Indian food for home delivery. It's been more than an year I ordered with them but in the past, the taste was always close to Delhi food.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 11:02   #4297
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

If you are OK to step out of city limits, Try UP-Punjabi Dhaba on Hyderabad Highway. This is a few meters from Nandi Upachara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Well, that's too bad, and our loss. Whitefield has a vibrant and varied restaurant scene. And a lot of 'legendary old Bangalore' institutions aren't worth a visit anymore, many of them are now running just on reputation and nostalgia alone. Now with the Metro, a lot of good places in Whitefield are easily accessible.

(Having been born and raised in Bangalore (from the 80s), I find this "Old Bangalore"/"Those new areas aren't Bangalore" thing very limiting.)
Gosh! difficult to have a different opinion in this time and age, without getting judged, despite putting 'some' and that rare as gold smiley in the end. Probably my 'limited' mindset.

Sorry to have offended your feelings and the other 2. Peace!

Last edited by Sheel : 30th March 2024 at 11:51. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 11:43   #4298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Sorry to have offended your feelings and the other 2. Peace!
No, not at all. My mistake, I posted in haste. I could certainly have worded it better to get my point across, never meant to target your post in particular. Sorry for the way it came across.

Last edited by am1m : 30th March 2024 at 11:44.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 20:55   #4299
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
The Time Traveller in Sai Vishram Business Hotel in Bommasandra. Has ample space for parking, good ambience and good food too with some live counters. The only downside is travel time getting there and back.
Tried the place today and it didn’t disappoint, great food and a very reasonably priced buffet.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 15:32   #4300
Senior - BHPian

Past few weeks we had been to few restaurants across Bengaluru.

1. Masaledaar Rasoi - Jayanagar 5th block
This was our 2nd visit there. It's a pure vegetarian restaurant located on first floor. Has valet parking available.

Food ordered: Butter phulkas, butter kulcha, hakka noodles, paneer butter masala, Pahadi Seekh Kabab, Rumali Roti.

Everything was good except Rumali roti which was hard (almost like a papad). Definitely a place to visit with family.

2. 46 ounces - Electronic City
This was an unplanned visit. We had went for a drive and decided to go here as it has an open lawn area with a small play area for the kids.

Food ordered: Thupka Veg soup, Boiled peanut masala, Potato popper, Watermelon feta salad, Crystal momos, Pizza classic.

Soup, salads, and starters were good but the momos and pizza not good at all. My wife had ordered a cocktail (summer breeze I think) which had more cucumber spoiling the taste. Kids had fun though playing in the open area while we enjoyed the IPL match being projected on a big screen. We were left disappointed on our second visit and would not visit again.

3. The Scene - JP Nagar
This was another impromptu plan which we did and went. Luckily got a place on a Saturday. Nice place with a good ambiance.

I have forgotten the names of what we ordered and will try.
Spicy veg tempura, California rolls, Crispy lotus stem. The bartender there (forgot this name as it's been a while) was an enthusiastic chap and recommended a few cocktails for my wife which was very good.

Would definitely recommend but be aware they do not take reservations on weekends.

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img_3342.jpg
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img_3343.jpg

4. Bighorn Brewery - Bannerghatta Road
Situated right behind Royal meenakshi mall, it's a new pub which has come up on Bannerghatta road. We went around 7pm on a Friday evening and got the table of our choice as it was empty. But by 8 the place was full.

They have a quirky IPL teams related starter menu. We ordered RCB Nippattu (or something similar) and it was really good. They make their pizzas on wood fired ovens and was really good.

Would definitely recommend.

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img_3308.jpg
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img_3311.jpg
TorqueyTechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 18:19   #4301
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Kapoor's Cafe is a great option from my experience. It's a pure vegetarian restaurant and serves no alcohol. As someone who generally prefers eating non-vegetarian food when I eat out, this is one of the few pure-veg places that I actively seek out.

They have multiple outlets across Bangalore. I've visited the ones in Thubarahalli (frequently; has ample car parking) and HSR layout (occasionally). I have often taken visitors from North India to Kapoor's and they've usually enjoyed the culinary experience. My recommendations are to try their parathas (served with a generous dollop of butter), pindi chole, fulkas, pindi chole bhature, khasta paratha, lassi.

Something to be aware of is that they don't accept cash and only rely on digital payment modes. Also, these two outlets don't have air conditioning. I'm not aware of their other outlets.
KryptonMonkey is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 18:33   #4302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
.... Chula Chauki Da Dhaba....
Have you tried the Jayanagar outlet near Ranga Shankara? It's as close to an 'authentic dhaba' vibe as you're going to get in town. I used to work nearby their ORR outlet and food was great there too everytime I went, though the ambiance looked a little 'forced'.
Old 9th April 2024, 19:09   #4303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptonMonkey View Post
Kapoor's Cafe is a great option from my experience.
I have often taken visitors from North India to Kapoor's and they've usually enjoyed the culinary experience. My recommendations are to try their parathas (served with a generous dollop of butter), pindi chole, fulkas, pindi chole bhature, khasta paratha, lassi.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Have you tried the Jayanagar outlet near Ranga Shankara? It's as close to an 'authentic dhaba' vibe as you're going to get in town. I used to work nearby their ORR outlet and food was great there too everytime I went, though the ambiance looked a little 'forced'.
That's the only one I have tried. Found it pretty passe; with the food toned down to meet a general audience requirement.
Old 13th April 2024, 22:01   #4304
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What would you recommend for a good authentic Punjabi dhaba food outlet? Our go-to place is Manjit Da Dhaba in Frazer Town but that's pure veg; plus his food options are limited (but very good).

Saw this now, very late response I’m sure!
Bobby’s Punjabi Dhaba - this place had some really good dals, paneer, Sabjis, rotis and lassis. Another veg only place like Manjit da dhaba, similar scale and ambience too, but has a few more options for food. Quite far from the city centre but very well connected by metro, a short 100m or so walk from the Nagasandra station, definitely worth a visit and you could combine it with a visit to IKEA.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qXtnCYs2SsEnCWNi9?g_st=ic

Last edited by NPV : 13th April 2024 at 22:06.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 22:40   #4305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys,

1. Northwest kebabs and curries. - koramangla (found black dal closest to actual taste)
2. Urban Turban - Sarjapur road
3. Bobby Da Dhaba
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks