Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2013, 16:23   #2791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Hi Quadra - can you give the name of the restaurant and the location of the same .
I tried in google maps for the shobha supermarket ,attaching the same here .Would be great if you can guide on the exact location.
That is the exact location buddy. When you enter the main road from ORR, on your LHS, you will see the following in line - Dominos > Nike > Naturals (on 1st floor) > veggie shop (tiny one) > Hyd biryani. The shop is not facing the road, its kind of titlted and facing Dental Den on the Opp: side. So slow down on nike / dominos. PM me if u need more info.
Old 23rd June 2013, 17:01   #2792
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to get out of the city tonight with 3 of my friends. But not really far though. Can you suggest a place which is about 35-50kms away from the city limit and has good food? I don't want to go to Darshinis or Kamaths or Empires of the world, but something that is quite unique and offers brilliant food. Open seating area will be awesome since today is the Super Moon day. Do let me know as soon as you read this.
Old 24th June 2013, 11:48   #2793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Looking for a short drive with family + having some good Non-Veg food. Any such places in a range of 75-100Kms from Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore?
Not exactly in 100 KM range, but if you can drive till Mysore, there is Fish land, just before you reach the ring road. Used to do this a lot during my bachelor days - ride till fish land, have lunch and ride back to Bangalore.

Last week, while coming back from Mysore, saw a place near bangalore - 'Rasta - the one place'. Any one been there?
Old 24th June 2013, 12:31   #2794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Not exactly in 100 KM range, but if you can drive till Mysore, there is Fish land, just before you reach the ring road. Used to do this a lot during my bachelor days - ride till fish land, have lunch and ride back to Bangalore.

Last week, while coming back from Mysore, saw a place near bangalore - 'Rasta - the one place'. Any one been there?
Raasta: A jolly good time with friends and place to experience the night life in Bangalore It stays open till early morning around 4-5 I guess.
On Saturdays, they charge cover charges. Nice place and ambience. Couch/ outdoor seating available. You get varieties of hookah. Not sure if they are still allowed to offer after the ban in Bangalore. Food is nothing great but with friends around you gulp down anything

Options to play pool, tisch-fussball, lazily lie down on couch and watch the stupid TV showing some junk videos! Service quality is quite good.
Old 24th June 2013, 12:35   #2795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Raasta: A jolly good time with friends and place to experience the night life in Bangalore
Options to play pool, tisch-fussball, lazily lie down on couch and watch the stupid TV showing some junk videos! Service quality is quite good.
Thank you. I was actually thinking of going there during day time - 2 families (4 adults and 2 toddlers) for an extended lazy breakfast cum lunch. I think I will visit this place soon.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:07   #2796
BHPian

Been going to this restaurant called 'on the edge' on MG road. It is actually located on the 11th or so floor of a building. Breathtaking view from the restaurant! I go there mainly for the view. Food is pretty good too. They serve a couple of different cuisines. I had a risotto for the first time there and I loved it! Price wise, I think the place is slightly on the expensive side. The bill for a chicken risotto, a chicken pasta and two soft drinks was a little above 1k. The portions were quite large though.
Its a really nice place to visit with your girlfriend or your better half.
Old 27th June 2013, 12:36   #2797
BHPian

We went to a place called Bow Barracks in Indiranagar a month ago.the food is excellent. It's more if a Bengali cuisine but has more neutral flavours . The place Is a bit small so make your trip on a weekday night. The Chelo kebabs are the thing to try. A bit expensive but worth it. They do serve some good wine too.
Old 1st July 2013, 09:37   #2798
BHPian

I'll be in Bangalore this weekend and will stay in Jeevan Bima Nagar (Old Airport road) and will be visiting HSR Layout and Electronics city. Any suggestions for nice street food/Bangalore speciality in and around these areas? Will also go to Brigade road.
Old 1st July 2013, 10:59   #2799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
I'll be in Bangalore this weekend and will stay in Jeevan Bima Nagar (Old Airport road) and will be visiting HSR Layout and Electronics city. Any suggestions for nice street food/Bangalore speciality in and around these areas? Will also go to Brigade road.
Bridage road is not a place for a foodie, its for something else.

There is nothing called Bangalore specialty as such, it is borrowed legacy from neighboring states predominantly Kerala.

Must try restaurants.

1, Taj Restaurant (Shivaji Nagar/Frazer town)
2, Empire Restaurant (Branches all over B'lore)
3, Imperial Restaurant (Branches all over B'lore)
4, Savoury Restaurant (Frazer Town/Banngerghata Road).

If you want to try the best Alfam chicken (Distant cousin of Tandori Chicken), try Al-Noor at Frazer town.

Waseem.
Old 1st July 2013, 11:12   #2800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Bridage road is not a place for a foodie, its for something else.
Waseem bhai, that was just a decoy.

I'll try to visit these places. Thank you.
Old 1st July 2013, 11:15   #2801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Casa Piccola,Indiranagar CMH road.other than that like Waseem correctly pointed out nothing major.MTR at Lalbagh if you manage to be there-still have very fond memories of their lunch and their fruit mix!

Quote:
If you want to try the best Alfam chicken (Distant cousin of Tandori Chicken), try Al-Noor at Frazer town.
Alfam is all over the place in kerala.good to hear blr has it as well.wonder if somebody has any plans of introducing it in hyd at affordable prices.where is noor in frazer town?
Old 1st July 2013, 11:34   #2802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'll try to visit these places. Thank you.
I can accompany you to Al-Noor for Alfam and then we can proceed to Empire/Savoury/Imperial for dinner.PM me if this sounds like a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Alfam is all over the place in kerala.good to hear blr has it as well.wonder if somebody has any plans of introducing it in hyd at affordable prices.where is noor in frazer town?
Al Noor is at Niel Armstrong Road, behind Bharti Nagar Police Station.

I've reviewed this place couple of times in last 6 months or so.

Waseem.
Old 1st July 2013, 12:48   #2803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... There is nothing called Bangalore specialty as such, it is borrowed legacy from neighboring states predominantly Kerala. ...
A very prejudiced view, one must say - though not entirely incorrect. Bangalore was never a bustling city nor center of the state to have acquired that. What one sees as Bangalore today is only 20-25 years old. Even though it is 400 years old apparently, there is nothing memorable other than the last 60-80 years.

I came to Bangalore in 1979, and faced a conundrum in my first visit to a nearby restaurant: Rice Bath (go figure). The only NV hotels were "Hindu Military hotels" (abominations to say the least; as my grandma used to say "you lose your creed, yet your stomach is not filled") and "Biryani hotels" in the central parts of town. Outskirts (where all new expats would stay), pretty much any place > 6Km from 'Majestic', only had 'Kaka hotels' (Kaka = Malayalee). They served an adapted cuisine one couldn't guess the origin of (it was definitely not Malayalee cuisine - I was used to that even in Delhi). Today they don't exist, probably because those entrepreneurs must have "gone to Gelf".

Cuisine was always very much influenced by imports and expats. In any place in India, including Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Hyderabad. Why? Simply because grass is always greener on the other side, and if the shops were to rely only on local specialties, they would be out of business. Today we see the extreme situation of native cuisine relegated to out of the way shops - again, like in any other city in India.

All the towns which have adamantly clung on to their roots, people generally eat at home and there is hardly any eat out scene. [I'll avoid giving examples; insularity is also associated with a propensity to violence]

Quote:
... 1, Taj Restaurant (Shivaji Nagar/Frazer town)
2, Empire Restaurant (Branches all over B'lore)
3, Imperial Restaurant (Branches all over B'lore) ...
Taj Shivaji Nagar, if one can wade through the crowd and the muck - definitely. It is an experience by itself, and hands-down the best Bangalore biryani

Empire: IMHO, don't bother - it is an abomination for all except the most desperate (I am sure @SILVERWOOD looks for other places). They are there in the Food Court of all the malls, and it is no different from their large outlets. The chicken is likely to be dry and overcooked, and the gravy is a weird takeoff on Salan and Dalcha. The quantity of mutton served is a rip-off. There is a reason why they are open till late - specifically for customers who don't care what they are eating. Even Ammi's serves better stuff, even if it is thermocol-packed!

Imperial: Try the original joint on Residency Road (a stone's throw from the Brigade Road crossing). Haven't been to any other outlet, as I never trust other outlets. Try the simple stuff - Chicken Kabab (people say they are the originators of that cardio-buster) and Mutton Pepper Fry. And CP (Ceylon Porotta) which comes with the best cherwa (sherwa / shorba / salan) in town
Old 1st July 2013, 14:14   #2804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
A very prejudiced view, one must say - though not entirely incorrect.
Absolute pearls of wisdom Aniruddha Sahb though i do not completely agree with you on Cuisine of Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Hyderabad being influenced by imports and expats unless you consider Mughals and Rulers of Awadh to be imports and expats.

Regards,

Waseem.
Old 1st July 2013, 14:21   #2805
BHPian

Went to Bakasur on ORR last weekend.Good food and ambience. They have a small play area for children up front and an assigned care-taker (one of the guys from the restaurant) who watches over the kids (NO - this is not a Nanny service).

We had two Non-veg platters and then some roti and dal. Very good taste and they don't hurry you up. If you go on a weekend, go a bit early as the place gets filled up quickly.

For 6 of us, we paid about 6k (including drinks). Had a good time. The place is near Bellandur signal and is in the same building as Snap Fitness but the entrance is on the side road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks