Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2013, 10:07   #2686
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

A2B HSR Layout

Predictably lousy ambience going by my earlier experiences in BTM Layout and Koramangala. Complete chaos at entry, billing, food collection and exit, not to mention the washrooms. Dirty plates stacked sky high at the washroom entrance.

One single window for the serving staff to collect food from and dispense it to consumers.

Terribly unhygienic because most of the staff weren't even wearing gloves and were actually using their bare hands to manhandle idlies and vaas onto the plates.

Dosas were appearing at that narrow service window and one plated dosa was being stacked on top of another plated dosa before disbursal.

I was totally disgusted and I made them make a fresh dosa for me and watched its progress from the serving window right up to my hands, making sure that no one stacked anything on top of it!

While serving, there is so much chaos with so many staff milling around that small narrow serving window, that I could see the edges of various people's dosas liberally brushing against some service staff person's uniform trouser, shirt or jacket.

A2B is a classic example of bad hygiene, poor ambience, poor care and total apathy. The food is good, but all the attendant surround sound completely disgusts me and I will not go back there again to eat unless under duress...
Old 13th April 2013, 11:57   #2687
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Good to know that I am not alone in the World, I absolutely hate it when this stacking happens and just cannot eat once I see that happening.

Unfortunately people like you and me are a minority and that too a very very small one and this habit of stacking seems to be working it's way up in to most premium of eateries. There are other peeves too like smudges on glass, flatware being clunked around and the worst of all the universal dip by all and sundry into the "mukhvaas" platter...yuck but then all this is fodder for another discussion elsewhere, so I will stop here.

"May our tribe grow"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Dosas were appearing at that narrow service window and one plated dosa was being stacked on top of another plated dosa before disbursal.

I was totally disgusted and I made them make a fresh dosa for me and watched its progress from the serving window right up to my hands, making sure that no one stacked anything on top of it!
Old 13th April 2013, 12:22   #2688
BANNED

Our food generally is liquid and messy. The A2B system of having to pay the bill and then wait for service at the next counter never works because in India, if there is long lateral serving counter, then the queue, such as it is, will also be long and lateral and never perpendicular.
Add to the mix the usual chaos of people going in and coming out, large tubby families squeezing past, a procession of dishes and plates heading back towards the washing area and the hustle, noise and bustle of the typical Indian way, and it is NOT a place for those who have "ambience" as a high priority and who also may have slightly finer sensibilities about the process of eating in a polite and gentlemanly manner...
I am South Indian and love my regular Southern Indian breakfast when the mood takes me. I am NOT proud of the way a chain like A2B handles things. It is so much better to eat in a restaurant like Woodlands or some other. And other veg/ Indian restaurants in South India like Saravana Bhavan, Annapoorna, Sri Krishna Bhavan and Woodlands and those in Northern India such as Haldirams in most places and LNB in Jaipur and so on, manage to serve and handle things with so much less chaos than A2B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Good to know that I am not alone in the World, I absolutely hate it when this stacking happens and just cannot eat once I see that happening.

Unfortunately people like you and me are a minority and that too a very very small one and this habit of stacking seems to be working it's way up in to most premium of eateries. There are other peeves too like smudges on glass, flatware being clunked around and the worst of all the universal dip by all and sundry into the "mukhvaas" platter...yuck but then all this is fodder for another discussion elsewhere, so I will stop here.

"May our tribe grow"
Old 13th April 2013, 12:43   #2689
Team-BHP Support

Guys, please suggest some good eatouts for having non veg biriyani in Bangalore. Location is not a big restriction.

We prefer the food spicy.
Old 13th April 2013, 12:53   #2690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys, please suggest some good eatouts for having non veg biriyani in Bangalore. Location is not a big restriction.

From my area - Spice King Biryani Express @ BTM2nd Stage. 80ft BTM Main road near BTM Water Tank.

Ohh and yes, Hyderabadi House in Koramangala. Near Raheja Arcade. They make absolutely fiery spicy biryani. I almost choked on the spicy biryani 3 years back when I had it there for the 1st and last time.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 13th April 2013 at 12:56.
Old 13th April 2013, 13:26   #2691
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Try Meghanas.

Although it isn't authentic Dum, it is spicy and scrumptious. Authentic Dum Biryani isn't supposed to be spicy anyway.
Old 13th April 2013, 13:42   #2692
BHPian

Quote:

Although I am a veggie, Hyderabadi Biryaani House at Victoria Layout is the place. http://goo.gl/maps/T3kBM

funkykar can vouch for it being a regular at this place.
Old 13th April 2013, 15:15   #2693
BHPian

I was at the Smoke House Deli on 100ft road, Indiranagar for yesterday's lunch. Loved the continental food. Refreshingly different menu (from what I've had till now). We had some paprika puffs and bacon wrapped potatoes for appetizers. The bacon-wrapped potatoes were absolutely delicious. The paprika puffs are a continental take on the humble dahi puri. The main course was fish & chips, spinach-ricotta ravioli pasta and peri-peri rubbed grilled chicken (which was marinated right down to the core and well grilled). We did not have space for desserts as we were already full.

The service was fast and clinical. They accomodated us on a good table even though we did not have reservations. The ambience was good. Other lunchers were generally quiet and it felt calm and peaceful there inspite of it being a Friday.

Cost - 2.7k for 3 (without desserts). Expensive but the food was worth it all.

All in all, liked the place overall. Warrants many more visits.
Old 13th April 2013, 15:28   #2694
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I was at the Smoke House Deli on 100ft road, Indiranagar for yesterday's lunch. Loved the continental food. Refreshingly different menu (from what I've had till now). We had some paprika puffs and bacon wrapped potatoes for appetizers.
Cost - 2.7k for 3 (without desserts). Expensive but the food was worth it all.

All in all, liked the place overall. Warrants many more visits.
Opinion on Smoke House Deli wholeheartedly endorsed. One of the best restaurants I ve eaten in, recently. Also, I love the sense of style because of their bladk and white theme. Very mediterranean and stylish...

Their peri peri crumbed Calamari is really delicious...
Old 15th April 2013, 00:30   #2695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
From my area - Spice King Biryani Express @ BTM2nd Stage. 80ft BTM Main road near BTM Water Tank.

Ohh and yes, Hyderabadi House in Koramangala. Near Raheja Arcade. They make absolutely fiery spicy biryani. I almost choked on the spicy biryani 3 years back when I had it there for the 1st and last time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Try Meghanas.

Although it isn't authentic Dum, it is spicy and scrumptious. Authentic Dum Biryani isn't supposed to be spicy anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alokgunhal View Post
Although I am a veggie, Hyderabadi Biryaani House at Victoria Layout is the place. http://goo.gl/maps/T3kBM

funkykar can vouch for it being a regular at this place.
Guys, thanks a lot for all your suggestions. We finally went to Hyderabadi Biriyani House at Victoria Layout - because that was the closest to our location when we finally decided to head out for dinner.

We ordered the below items -

1. 3 Spl. Hyd. Mutton Biriyani.
2. 1 Spl. Hyd. Chicken Biriyani (Extra spicy for the guy whose comments are qouted below).
3. 1 plate Chicken 65 dry.

Now, a little background.

I had a couple visiting us this weekend. A shippie and his wife. The guy will spend the next 6-8 months at sea - and he wanted to enjoy good food before leaving. He has tasted atleast 20 biriyanis in the past 20- 30 days - but nothing could satisfy him.

And now - to qoute his own words.

'Man! This is the best biriyani I have tasted, in a long time'.

'This is EXACTTTLLYYY what i wanted'.

'I feel like crying now. I can't express my happiness'.

I could really sense the emotions he went through, of finally being able to get what he wanted before setting sail for the next 6 months. Thanks to all your suggestions even though we finally went to this particular place.

PS: Its a budget restaurant. So expect a few shortcomings in terms of facilities available.
Old 15th April 2013, 10:17   #2696
Senior - BHPian

@Alok: Yes, very much! I have been super regular at 'Hyderabadi Biriyani' on Victoria Road. This by far is the best biriyani place I have ever known. Even the second best is not as close to this. Its now been 8 years since I have been having biriyani there and I average to thrice a month atleast.

@Crazydriver: I am not at all surprised to know your friends loved it

I always eat the spicy version 'Double Masala'
Old 15th April 2013, 11:17   #2697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He has tasted atleast 20 biriyanis in the past 20- 30 days - but nothing could satisfy him.
OT, But very relevant.

Can you ask him to narrate his experience of these 20 biriyanis.?

Waseem.
Old 19th April 2013, 14:00   #2698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We finally went to Hyderabadi Biriyani House at Victoria Layout
Ordered 2 mutton and 1 chicken Biryani from Hyderabadi Biriyani House @ Victoria Layout.

It was loaded with Masala and there was barely any rice in it.Very average fare i must say.Mutton Biryani is priced at Rs 170 and Chicken Biryani is priced at 160.

Waseem.
Old 19th April 2013, 14:46   #2699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
It was loaded with Masala and there was barely any rice in it.Very average fare i must say.Mutton Biryani is priced at Rs 170 and Chicken Biryani is priced at 160.
After getting used to Hyderabadi Biryani. How can you even think it will even satisfy your palate?
Old 19th April 2013, 14:54   #2700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Ordered 2 mutton and 1 chicken Biryani from Hyderabadi Biriyani House @ Victoria Layout.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD,

Try Meghana Biryani House in kormangala near jyothi nivas college and i believe you can have the best hyderabad biryani from my experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks