Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2013, 21:09   #2551
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Where exactly is Krispy Kreme, and what are the prices like? Also, is it something similar in quality to Donut Baker (dont know if that is stlll around, used to be there on Brigade Road).
You may read my review of Krispy Kreme (and several other restaurants) on Zomato - http://www.zomato.com/chikkars/reviews
Old 7th February 2013, 21:37   #2552
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit View Post
Hey Hatari, even me going to Blore....but a week later than you. Will be there for a couple of days. So the infos you are getting here, am too noting them down.

Hello B'loreans.... where do you get Kannada food ? And what are the specialty dishes which cannot be missed?
(You get pizzas/biriyanis..maybe slight diffnt/kebabs every where). I love food and would not want to miss out on your local favourites.

Pls advise.
You could go to Kamat Yatri Nivas near Majestic bus stand/raiway station if you are around that area. They serve fundu north karnataka food. If you hit commercial street, bisebele bath in woody's is neat.

South of bangalore - Vidyarthi Bhavan Restaurant , Gandhibazar

North of blore (15th Cross, Margosa Road, Malleshwaram ) - Veena stores (Idly/vada/coffee wow!)

Hope this helps!

-Kanthi
Old 7th February 2013, 23:23   #2553
BHPian

My review of Krispy Kreme is its just like every other donut baker but overhyped. Prices are ok at 60bucks a pop. Loved the custard filled donuts. Ate 6 donuts that day. Hated the red velvet. It smelt and also perhaps tasted like a dead rat.

Worth going only if you have no other donut company nearby. Im still a fan of M.O.D.

Once the initial fanfare settles, it will just go back to slow sales. Was looking at Nandos the other day and Matteos. Empty. And initially there was so much rush it was hard finding a table in 5mins.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 7th February 2013 at 23:30.
Old 8th February 2013, 00:10   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Where exactly is Krispy Kreme, and what are the prices like? Also, is it something similar in quality to Donut Baker (dont know if that is stlll around, used to be there on Brigade Road).
Beginning of Church Street on the right

Prices Rs 50 for Glazed and 60 for fancy variety + taxes

The original glazed are brilliant. The sugar was decent but I was a little disappointed with choc.

Definitely worth a try if you have a sweet tooth.
Old 14th February 2013, 18:31   #2555
SBR
BHPian

Guys,

Can anyone suggest budget buffets (within INR 300 per head) around Central Bangalore, Frazer Town, Indiranagar & Koramangala.

Should be a place to visit with family (incl kids).

Indian food (Non - Veg) preferred.

Await suggestions.
Old 14th February 2013, 19:34   #2556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Guys,

Can anyone suggest budget buffets (within INR 300 per head) around Central Bangalore, Frazer Town, Indiranagar & Koramangala.

Should be a place to visit with family (incl kids).

Indian food (Non - Veg) preferred.

Await suggestions.
I had been to "The Island" Indranagar , 80ft road, sometime ago paid around 300 per head on a weekday for lunch. Not sure what the price is on weekends. But I'd definitely consider a visit again.

MP
Old 17th February 2013, 00:40   #2557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post
Have you tried Narmadha's Hyderabadi Biriyani in BTM Layout? Try it out, it is much better than most of the biriyani joints in Bangalore......
Regards,
Mohan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
.........I am a long time fan of the Hyderabadi Biryani (on Victoria Road) we had the other day
Even I've found the Hyderabadi Biriyani on Victoria road really yummy.

However I've fallen sick (others too, symptoms: sore throat followed by cold/fever ) most of the time after having biriyani there. I suspect its after having the curd based salad or the gravy that comes with it, or perhaps its got to do with that old glass bottled pepsi that they sell.
They need to place more emphasis on hygiene, thats for sure. But the great taste there is tempting enough for a definite re-visit sometime again.
I'll check out Narmadha's Hyderabadi Biriyani in BTM Layout before to see if can beat Hyderabadi Biriyani on Victoria road.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 17th February 2013 at 00:56.
Old 17th February 2013, 11:08   #2558
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
I had been to "The Island" Indranagar , 80ft road, sometime ago paid around 300 per head on a weekday for lunch. Not sure what the price is on weekends. But I'd definitely consider a visit again.

MP
Thanks mate. Any other place you can suggest. A colleague advised a visit to Rainbow Hotel on Residency Road (Next to Imperial) for a buffet @ RS. 160/- per head. Still hunting for a budget buffet place.
Old 18th February 2013, 13:42   #2559
Oxy
BHPian

My son's first birthday is fast approaching (7th April) and I need to throw a party to celebrate.

This is going to be for about a 100 folks. I am looking for a pure veg spread not costing more than Rs.200 per plate, preferably NOT South Indian and also preferably around Whitefield.

Any pointers/suggestions would be highly appreciated. Yummy food is the topmost priority for this event.
Old 18th February 2013, 18:43   #2560
Team-BHP Support

Beware of California Pizza Kitchen, Phoenix Market City, Whitefield.

Took my folks to CPK for dinner for a change of cuisine from the usual indian. Got a shock.

Ordered the appetizers (Pita and Hummus). After I finished eating, out comes a small cockroach walking around the plate!!!

Mom jumped up in shock and I summoned the waiter. The guy tried to catch it with a napkin but it went below the table. We got up from the table and the manager ran to us and started apologizing and told us to sit at a different table. The manager calmly says this has never happened before and they are pest free since they do some pest control monthly. He says it must have come from outside!! I was like what do you mean outside?

5 minutes later, the waiter gets another plate of the appetizer as complimentary. Told him there was no way we could eat another plate since we ordered main course. He then said he would parcel it to which I told him that the bread will become soggy and it was pointless.

The service was good and the waiter was apologetic but the manager only showed himself once after we jumped up. When the bill arrived I atleast thought that the appetizer would be waived off or there would be a discount but nothing. There was no compensation. Feedback card was given but without the pen and I realized that they may throw the form even if I did fill it up.

My dad suggested not to tip but the bill already includes the 10% service charge.

Food was overall decent but am not setting foot in this place anymore.
Old 18th February 2013, 18:53   #2561
Senior - BHPian

CPK,Koramangala

What a waste of time and money.Portions are measly,terribly overpriced,service is lousy.Wouldnt go back there if it was the last place in the world serving food in the midst of a famine!

Well to be fair to them,the experience wasnt any different at their Mumbai outlets,so atleast theres consistency on that front We went to the Blore outlet because a friend was hell bent on convincing us that the Koramangala outlet is different.Sincere advise-avoid this place.Pizzas are anyways overpriced creatures in India and runs on almost 200-300% profit but when you add lousy service and horrible portion sizes to it-then its totally unpardonable.
Old 19th February 2013, 12:27   #2562
Senior - BHPian

Went to Silver Metro after a long time last night. Sad to say that you can give this place a miss as the service has just gone down the gutter. Being a weekday there were not many families but still the waiters had to be called again and again to clear plates or refill water. The ambience is good but the food is mediocre and service is nothing to write home about.
Old 19th February 2013, 14:00   #2563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Went to Silver Metro after a long time last night. Sad to say that you can give this place a miss as the service has just gone down the gutter. Being a weekday there were not many families but still the waiters had to be called again and again to clear plates or refill water. The ambience is good but the food is mediocre and service is nothing to write home about.
I agree with you and also the menu is repetitive. If you go after 6 months you can guess what you will get in buffet
Some plates are cracked cold drink is out of stock etc
Need to revamp their services
Old 19th February 2013, 14:10   #2564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
... shawarmas in a small place near Nagarbhavi circle. These are a bit spicier than the ones you get in Kabab Magic, ...
Went to this place Sunday evening. There are 2 varieties - one deep red (that's what you must have had), and the other a plain looking one. I asked for Shawarma, so they gave me the bland one.

Definitely indianized - the guy pulverizes the roast shavingsand then mixes it with finely chopped onions. While preparing the roll (now that is Indian, since the original is fluffed up pita bread), they add 2 pieces of small french fries, and 2 pieces of carrot. Couldn't figure out the flavor of the white creamy spread that was applied before putting on the chicken/onion mix.

The size of the roll is rather small - good for a snack only.
Old 19th February 2013, 14:23   #2565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Went to this place Sunday evening. There are 2 varieties - one deep red (that's what you must have had), and the other a plain looking one. I asked for Shawarma, so they gave me the bland one.

Definitely indianized - the guy pulverizes the roast shavingsand then mixes it with finely chopped onions. While preparing the roll (now that is Indian, since the original is fluffed up pita bread), they add 2 pieces of small french fries, and 2 pieces of carrot. Couldn't figure out the flavor of the white creamy spread that was applied before putting on the chicken/onion mix.

The size of the roll is rather small - good for a snack only.
Shawarmas are best in Kebab Magic, RV Road I guess, I have had the Pita bread ones as well as the Rumali roti ones in other Kebab magic outlets but the rolls from this RV Road outlet can't be beaten. But yes the size is quite small and only is a snack. Nothing beats the size of Fanoos

Most Viewed