Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2012, 13:45   #2401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee

There is a Tibetan place in Koramangala which serves nice momos. If you are driving from Jyoti Nivas Collage take the left just before Empire. On the left there is a Tibetan mall.
What I've mentioned is the typical Darjeeling style momos. The tibetan momos no doubt are good, but I prefer the Darjeeling variety. Its much more soft and almost has that melt in the mouth quality without being too delicate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13

Frankly speaking, I did not go to too many pandals this time, the crowd at Koramangala and the insane rush to drive through the traffic and get a parking spot on Saptami itself left a bad taste in the mouth. And same here, I avoided Ulsoor like the plague- the maddening rush there is not for the faint hearted. I did not visit Whitefield and Indiranagar, stuck to BTM, JP Nagar and Koramangala.
Yes I was there during Saptami, Ashtami and Navami. I had experienced that traffic jam 2years back. It had taken me 1.5hours just to go from forum mall to the puja pandal. I learnt my lesson that day. Last year i went in the afternoon and thus found easy parking. This time i parked in the Forum mall everytime and walked to the pandal. The rush starts in the evening and affects only the road opposite to the forum mall that goes to the mandap. The departing side has no jams at all.

The Ulsoor jam can be avoided by parking in front of the Bengali assn. area and then taking an auto from there till the mandap. Luckily the first day i went there in an auto, but you can imagine my predicament having to walk in all that mud and muck wearing sandals from gate no 2. I had first entered via gate 3 and was shocked. It was like the Toyota Fortuner bootcamp ground. After that day, we avoided the ulsoor lake puja. And the parking can only get worse there due to such narrow by lanes. Horrible/ Hari bol

BTM and JP Nagar hmm. Should visit them next year. The number of Pujas are growing every year in Bangalore wow.

Quote:
biryani, chaap, parathas, mughlai style chicken and rolls, I swear by Lazeez in Koramangala. Though they have now hiked up their prices
How are their rates? How much does a chicken biryani cost over there? Are they too costly? I haven't had the chance to visit this place. Will soon try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr

The Sarjapur Road Durga Puja (SORRBA) had a few stalls including the usual Lazzez, Babumoshai , Bangaliana etc. But the food was really overpriced. 4 pcs luchi and 1 small bowl of cholar dal - 60 bucks!
60bucks for a simple luchi and cholar dal!! I got it for 30bucks here at jayamahal. If that was the price of luchi, i can expect the biryani to be around 200.??
Old 26th October 2012, 13:49   #2402
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
For biryani, chaap, parathas, mughlai style chicken and rolls, I swear by Lazeez in Koramangala. Though they have now hiked up their prices significantly, I am still a weekend regular there Just cant let a weekend go by without my weekly fix of Mughlai food. One of the very few places serving Calcutta style biryani.
Is this the one near opp to Jyoti Nivas college? If yes, then it has been there since 1999. Had been there for quite a few times when I was in Bangalore working in one of the buildings next to it. Loved their parattas. They were very soft. I thought they add egg white to the dough.
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:45   #2403
Senior - BHPian

Went to Higher Taste at ISKCON Rajaji Nagar last evening.

Normally I avoid veg restaurants like plague - I always get Delhi Belly if I eat in one, whereas even the most fearsome NV joints never cause that. BUT ... I was surprised by Higher Taste. No onions or garlic, no floating oil, mild tasting curries - but each dish was well made and presented. I am surprised how they have adapted recipes which would normally require onions & garlic, yet maintained authentic taste.

Nice ambiance. I guess the place makes even normally raucous families think twice about being loud.
Old 2nd November 2012, 16:06   #2404
BHPian

Can you foodies suggest a good place near Arekere/IIM Bangalore, where I can get good Neer dosa take-away.
A year back I had my first and only dosa at Adigas in Arekere and liked it a lot, and want my parents and sister to try it as well. But unfortunately adigas do not have that on their fixed menu and I've made like 10 visits after that but it was not available there.

I would prefer a take away if I may, since sister has twin kids and managing them in a hotel will be a task by itself. I read somewhere about a Hotel Aditya in JP nagar, anyone has any idea if it's good? Lastly, is it even worth taking it home? Not sure if it'll be half as tasty as having it right off the stove.
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:30   #2405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
I read somewhere about a Hotel Aditya in JP nagar, anyone has any idea if it's good? Lastly, is it even worth taking it home? Not sure if it'll be half as tasty as having it right off the stove.
Aditya @ JP Nagar is a good restaurant and they have lot of coastal cuisines on their menu. But i feel, having it in the restaurant is much better than taking it home. They have a decent place to sit n dine, next to the kitchen.
Old 2nd November 2012, 23:05   #2406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Went to Higher Taste at ISKCON Rajaji Nagar last evening.
....Nice ambiance. I guess the place makes even normally raucous families think twice about being loud.
Completely agree...being a veggie I enjoyed the food there. Was slightly skeptical before going there as we were flying back to US the following day and didnt want to hit home runs all the way to Phoenix. In fact what I have heard is that 'Higher taste' has a small outlet in Jayanagar 4th Block near Jain temple.
Old 6th November 2012, 12:57   #2407
BHPian

@ mazda ,

you are right , there is a small outlet in jaynagar . Its near that CCD opposite to the old RV dental college.
Old 6th November 2012, 13:14   #2408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Is this the one near opp to Jyoti Nivas college? If yes, then it has been there since 1999. Had been there for quite a few times when I was in Bangalore working in one of the buildings next to it. Loved their parattas. They were very soft. I thought they add egg white to the dough.
This is not exactly opposite JNC (though there is a new branch which has opened at the beginning of the JNC road). The old Lazeez is about a 100 meters before the JNC lane. This one, though small and nondescript in appearance, serves the best Mughlai food (in that price bracket, that is). I have not tried the newer one on JNC road itself, though I was told its under the same management.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:53   #2409
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Punjab Grill @ Kormangala for dinner last evening (SILVERWOOD+5) and ordered the following.

We had bought Crazeal vouchers for Rs 800/Person which entitled us to devour the below mentioned delicacies.

1,Murg badami shorba:Loved this shorba, this set the precedent for this tantalizing affair mentioned below.

2, Murg tikka punjab grill- This was one of the best Murg tikka i have had in recent times, the best in last 1 year for sure.The chickens slaughtered for this particular dish would be proud of their martyrdom and their sacrifice would be remembered for generations to come. It was so succulent that the Kebabs was just melting in the mouth, very well marinated with the right mix of masalas.We ordered 4 plates and devoured them in no time.

3, Chicken sheek Kebab:This was also perfect to the core, the recipe was straight from the text book.The chicken was not over minced and the right mix of masalas made it perfect.We ordered 3 of them and finished them too in no time

4, Mutton sheek Kebab:We got this in lieu of Chicken sheek Kebabs and they were yummylicious.We ordered only one plate and packed the renaming ones.They were too good to be left undevoured.

5, Butter chicken:I did not taste this as i was full with kebabs, but my cousins were mightily pleased with the taste.

6, Murg tikka lababdar:This was cooked to perfection,the chicken pieces were very well cooked and the gravy was thick.Not too spicy and not too sweet.

7, Paneer Tikka:I dont like paneer and wouldn't touch it with a barged pole, but my cousins went gaga over the taste.They devoured 2 plates amongst them.

8, Corn Kebabont like them too, but my friends finished polished one plate.

9, Kaali daal: Cooked to perfection, loved it.

10, Chicken biryani Did not try as i was full, but got it packed.My cousins enjoyed it to the core.

11, Veg biryani:We asked them to take this one back as no one seemed interested.

12,Paneer butter masala:I did not taste it, but the others were mightily impressed.

13, Assorted bread:I had butter naan and was just perfect.

14,Gulab Jamun: These were any day better than kc das and liked.

15,Jaljeera:Great one to build your appetite before you gormandize on these delicacies.

16, Paan Shots:Paan whipped in a mixer, great one to finish this lovely evening

Total Damages:Rs 4k. Worth every single penny, dime,paisa et all.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:17   #2410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I had been to Punjab Grill @ Kormangala for dinner last evening (SILVERWOOD+5) and ordered the following.

We had bought Crazeal vouchers for Rs 800/Person which entitled us to devour the below mentioned delicacies.
Seems like a real nice spread. Could you please elaborate on the vouchers? Does this mean that these vouchers allow you to order any food for Rs.800 per person? How does this work exactly?

How are the prices otherwise (i.e. without any vouchers etc)?
Old 7th November 2012, 11:38   #2411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Seems like a real nice spread. Could you please elaborate on the vouchers? Does this mean that these vouchers allow you to order any food for Rs.800 per person? How does this work exactly?

How are the prices otherwise (i.e. without any vouchers etc)?
They have a set menu for 4 types of offers and the deal will expire on 11th November.

http://www.groupon.co.in/deals/banga...b-Grill/176165

The prices are on the higher side when you pay a regular visit to this place

Soups are priced between 150-200
Chicken kebabs between 500-700 &
Biryani between 500-650

Waseem.
Old 8th November 2012, 18:07   #2412
BHPian

Where in bangalore can i try out Madurai / Dindigul biriyani? I believe this variety is also called Thalappakatti biriyani.
Old 8th November 2012, 20:42   #2413
BHPian

In AECS Layout/Brookfields area, there is Kayal (Opp. MK Retail) which serves some excellent mallu dishes. We almost hit it for weekend lunches. Thali is a small spread but simple and nice. We mostly order appams, Porotta, Seer Fish Fry, Beef (anything with beef is great there), Chicken fry (this is amazing and most recommended) and finally some very nice naadan chaya (desi mallu style tea). The tea is definitely lovely and it brings memories back!

Edited to add: Meal for two will cost between Rs. 250 - 500.

BH.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 8th November 2012 at 20:45.
Old 9th November 2012, 00:01   #2414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart
In AECS Layout/Brookfields area, there is Kayal (Opp. MK Retail) which serves some excellent mallu dishes. We almost hit it for weekend lunches. Thali is a small spread but simple and nice. We mostly order appams, Porotta, Seer Fish Fry, Beef (anything with beef is great there), Chicken fry (this is amazing and most recommended) and finally some very nice naadan chaya (desi mallu style tea). The tea is definitely lovely and it brings memories back!

Edited to add: Meal for two will cost between Rs. 250 - 500.

BH.
Kayal is the worst place for authentic kerala food. I have visited couple of times , and I feel the quality was horrible, not at all like the food you get back home.

For authentic kerala cuisine, visit Little Home or Kairali. There is another restaurant called Malabar cafe in Koramangala , food is quite tasty there as well. But I guess Little Home ranks the best in quality, not been disappointed at all. And you can grab some yummy Naturals ice creams too after your meal.
Old 10th November 2012, 23:58   #2415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Kayal is the worst place for authentic kerala food. I have visited couple of times , and I feel the quality was horrible, not at all like the food you get back home.

For authentic kerala cuisine, visit Little Home or Kairali. There is another restaurant called Malabar cafe in Koramangala , food is quite tasty there as well. But I guess Little Home ranks the best in quality, not been disappointed at all. And you can grab some yummy Naturals ice creams too after your meal.
Quite surprised to hear that! It is certainly not the worst, it is quite good. Because my children swear by the seer fish fry and I love the porotta-beef combo. Kairali I presume is the one near Diary Circle? But there is no ambiance in there. Whereabouts is Little Home?

BH.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 11th November 2012 at 00:00.

Most Viewed