Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2012, 12:29   #2461
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
So did you get a chance to visit this place? Pls share your experiences.
I did not get a chance to visit this place, but i plan to visit it sometime this week.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick review of few eateries i have visited last week.

Coastaal Express @ Kumara Park: I had been to this place on last Tuesday for dinnerwith few friends.

The food is atrocious and over priced.The much hyped Chicken Ghee Roast did not live up to its expectations and was very average.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Masala Art @ Kamanahalli; I had been to this place on last Wednesday for dinner with my family.

This food here is good and absolutely VFM.The Kebabs were very well marinated and were very juicy.

Hotel Pride @ Richmond Road:I had been to this place last night for dinner with my family.

This food here is good, cant comment on the price as i did not pay the bill.
Old 31st December 2012, 13:31   #2462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
On Christmas Day, went to Barbeque Factory at Sony World junction in Koramangala. From the name, the initial impression I had was that it would be a clone of the Barbeque Nation model, however, it was anything but.
Detailed, mouth-watering, yummylacious narration

It sounded very close to BBQ nation, minus the live grill. Even the Menu for that matter. But Im going to visit them soon after new year. Do they have a lunch offer as well ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post

The much hyped Chicken Ghee Roast did not live up to its expectations and was very average.
Im a big fan of chicken ghee roast. The best one Ive eaten in Blore, still is at coast to coast. Kudla @ Ramanashree serves it, but quantity and quality wise, is a poor next to coast to coast.

Are there any better options ?
Old 31st December 2012, 13:52   #2463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Detailed, mouth-watering, yummylacious narration

It sounded very close to BBQ nation, minus the live grill. Even the Menu for that matter. But Im going to visit them soon after new year. Do they have a lunch offer as well ?

Actually though I went i with the thought that it would be very close to BBQ nation, in reality I felt it was somewhat different. Though the basic premise remains the same (stuff yourself on fabulous starters and the main course playing second fiddle), the overall feeling is that is VFM. I also believe BBQ Nation is quite a bit more pricey. Either ways, both are good, but for a change of palate, Barbeque Factory is a great bet. It is still relatively lesser known (as compared to BBQ Nation) and possibly for that reason the quality of starters are still very good. Do hope it remains that way. If you decide to go there, please make sure you have a killer appetite- perhaps do a few push ups and sit ups prior to dinner to put a keen edge on that appetite

They have a lunch offer as well, and till 30th, the prices for both lunch and dinner were Rs. 599. On 31st and 1st, if I remember correctly, they are about Rs. 100 more per head. I am not aware of the prices post 1st Jan, maybe they would be slightly lesser after the festive period is over.

AS for Chicken Ghee Roast, Coast to Coast is actually the best in my opinion. Very reasonable prices, well cooked and awesome portions.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 31st December 2012 at 13:56.
Old 31st December 2012, 15:02   #2464
Team-BHP Support

So mum and I had been to the Grill House (Ulsoor Lake) on the 22nd of December. While I had ordered a Meixican Sizzler, mum ordered Grilled-Chicken stuffed with spinach and cheese. Our orders arrived after 20 minutes of placing them.

I dived into my sizzler and my mum began with the vegetables. A few minutes later, she puts her fork and knife down and calls the waiter. I was a little surprised and asked her if everything was okay. She gestured that I hold on till the waiter comes to our table.

She cuts the chicken and shows it to the waiter and says, "It's raw!"

I was

The waiter apologized profusely and suggested another dish. 10 minutes later, a plate of Chicken Stroganoff was served.

We finish our food and paid the bill and decided to leave. Just then, the waiter scampers to our table with this:

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-22122012258.jpg

A blueberry cheesecake that was on the house.
Old 31st December 2012, 15:37   #2465
BHPian

Quote:
Actually though I went i with the thought that it would be very close to BBQ nation, in reality I felt it was somewhat different.
AS for Chicken Ghee Roast, Coast to Coast is actually the best in my opinion. Very reasonable prices, well cooked and awesome portions.
Its in the pipeline for sure now

Been eating at coast to coast for well over 6 years. The Chieken ghee roast and the anjal masala fry still tastes the same as they did the first time. Yes the prices have sky rocketed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

She cuts the chicken and shows it to the waiter and says, "It's raw!"

Nice gesture from them. But that in no way is adequate compensation for the the raw meat on the plate. They should have waived your bill off .
Old 31st December 2012, 15:49   #2466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Im a big fan of chicken ghee roast. The best one Ive eaten in Blore, still is at coast to coast. Kudla @ Ramanashree serves it, but quantity and quality wise, is a poor next to coast to coast.

You could try Mangalore Pearl @ Coles Road for Chicken Ghee Roast.

I have never been to Mangalore Pearl ,but have heard good reviews about this particular dish.
Old 31st December 2012, 16:01   #2467
BHPian

Quote:

I have never been to Mangalore Pearl ,but have heard good reviews about this particular dish.
I tried that also

Still did not match the coast to coast wala feel. May be my expectations are set high. The mlore pearl chicken felt like malnutritioned ones :(
Old 31st December 2012, 16:29   #2468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Thats a pretty decent way of making up for a shortcoming. The cheesecake sure looks pretty yummy. How did it taste? Sweet no doubt, given that it was on the house.
Old 1st January 2013, 02:52   #2469
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But that in no way is adequate compensation for the the raw meat on the plate. They should have waived your bill off .
+1

Quote:
Nice gesture from them.
Quote:
Thats a pretty decent way of making up for a shortcoming. The cheesecake sure looks pretty yummy. How did it taste? Sweet no doubt, given that it was on the house.
Yeah it was a nice gesture!

But raw-meat is still inexcusable, I'd say, what with all the recent reports on avian-flu! The blueberry cheese-cake was delightful though.
Old 1st January 2013, 11:56   #2470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Any particular timing when these are available? Or are they available whole day?
Pretty much the whole day, I guess - i.e. late morning till late evening.

Quote:
... Coastaal Express @ Kumara Park: ...
The food is atrocious and over priced.The much hyped Chicken Ghee Roast did not live up to its expectations and was very average. ...
I have been visiting this place for the last 10 years, but will no more. Week before last I had got a whole Ghee Roast take-away - and was severely disappointed at the taste, quantity and cost. Not worth it at all.

And to think they started the Ghee Roast trend in Bangalore a long time back. Just like Pavitra Paradise in Jayanagar complex with their Gobhi Manchurian 20 years back.

Pulimunchi in Sadashivnagar is far better than Coastaal. This is just near the Sadashivnagar-Vyalikaval Bhashyam Circle traffic lights, 1st floor, opposite Mast Kalandar. Park near the Swimming Pool and walk - no parking on the other side. Smart guys - they don't mention prices against any fish item other than Bangda! VFM.
Old 1st January 2013, 12:05   #2471
BHPian

Quote:
I also believe BBQ Nation is quite a bit more pricey. Either ways, both are good, but for a change of palate, Barbeque Factory is a great bet. It is still relatively lesser known (as compared to BBQ Nation) and possibly for that reason the quality of starters are still very good.
Hi Arindam,

Thank you for the detailed experience narration, makes me want to visit them soon.

I have a question for you - Do they have prawns on the starter menu? Whenever i visit BBQ nation, I go there with the singular objective of getting Prawns on the endangered species list and relish on them. If BBQ Factory has them, may be it would help my cause . Please let me know.

Once again, thank you!

Best,
Azeem
Old 1st January 2013, 20:59   #2472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Pretty much the whole day, I guess - i.e. late morning till late evening.
Visited them today and boy i returned satisfied! Though the vada pav is average fare, the dabeli is simply awesome! I ended up eating 3 .

I felt the juices are very costly. Strawberry milkshake with real strawberry fruits at 45 is way too overpriced. 25-30 would be proper. But their USP dabeli is priced just right!

I had passed this restaurant 100 times before and always wondered why there was so much rush around it. Today i got to know.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 1st January 2013 at 21:03.
Old 2nd January 2013, 08:57   #2473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
Hi Arindam,

I have a question for you - Do they have prawns on the starter menu? Whenever i visit BBQ nation, I go there with the singular objective of getting Prawns on the endangered species list and relish on them. If BBQ Factory has them, may be it would help my cause . Please let me know.
Hi Azeem,

I myself do not eat seafood of any kind, including fish, therefore was not very observant- my attention was wholly and unflinchingly devoted towards the chicken and mutton starters for the better part of one hour . But I do not think there was any prawns on the list of starters, however there definitely was prawn curry as part of the main course, which was pretty decent from what I heard from my fellow diner. However, there was also a fish starter (fish tikka or something of that sort as part of the starters).

However, I am not 100% sure whether they had prawns or not on the starter list, so I would recommend that you ask them when you make a reservation.

Happy dining!!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 2nd January 2013 at 08:59.
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:26   #2474
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Nagarjuna Restaurant @ Residency Road on Tuesday for Lunch & ordered the following (Silverwood+3)

1, Chicken Roast
2, Chicken Sholay Kebab
3, Mutton Roast &
4, Chicken Biryani Large (2 No's)

The food was just average, nothing to rave about.

Chicken roast was non spicy,had only 4 pieces & was priced around Rs 200.
Chicken Sholay Kebab was little better in terms of taste as well as quantity.
Mutton Roast was a disaster.
Chicken Biryani was also very average.The chicken pieces were bland in taste and on top of that, their so called Chicken Biryani Large was served in a quarter plate.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img2013010101050.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2013, 11:38   #2475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
I tried that also

Still did not match the coast to coast wala feel. May be my expectations are set high. The mlore pearl chicken felt like malnutritioned ones :(
The difference is in the cuisines more than the dishes. Mangalore Pearl serves Catholic style food, and Coast to Coast serves Bunt style food. The latter cuisine requires all the spices to be roasted well (including red chillis), which brings the best flavour out of the spices. If I am not wrong, Mangalore Pearl adds vinegar.

I love the chicken ghee roast at Coast to Coast, and they even used to serve prawn ghee roast to me, which was not in the menu back then. Is it on the menu now?

But I always had problems the following day, so I stopped going there.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd January 2013 at 15:05. Reason: Typo corrected as per request.

Most Viewed