Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2013, 22:53   #2581
Team-BHP Support

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

We'd visited Mainland China (Indiranagar) for dinner on Sunday.

Since I frequent the place (my Mum loves Mainland China) my friends suggested I place the order for them. I wanted to order 'Konje Crispy Lamb' but unfortunately, it wasn't available. But the waiter suggested we try a different kind of lamb. The softer and less crispy kind. 10 minutes later, the lamb arrived and 30 seconds after that, I barfed into my plate. The lamb was raw. No, not medium rare / rare. It was RAW!

We called the waiter immediately but it seemed to take him forever to come to our table. When he did, we told him that we weren't happy with the lamb and that it was raw - to which he said and I quote, "But this is how it is!"

We got pretty wild and asked him for the bill and the manager. A few minutes later, we expressed our disappointment quite clearly. He immediately took our plates away and got us a fresh serving of the same order in 5 minutes flat. This time, it was much better.

We decided to leave anyway. On reading the bill, we realized that they hadn't charged us for the lamb. And just when we decided to leave, they brought to our table a serving of Honey Noodles with Ice Cream.

It was a nice gesture, but raw meat is simply inexcusable.

EDIT: And you know what, they hadn't even apologized! Not even once did the word 'sorry' come from any one of them. They just said that the lamb is cooked like that. When I said, "It isn't cooked!" he said, "That's how it is!" The waiter was quite arrogant. When we insisted on paying the bill and leaving, the manager said, "Sir, please have a seat. We will bring you a fresh plate. Just try it this time!"

But the word 'sorry' didn't come from anyone.

Strangely, this is the 2nd time something like this has happened. The last time, it was at The Grille House near Ulsoor Lake. They'd apologized profusely, though.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th February 2013 at 23:02.
Old 26th February 2013, 09:16   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Any feedback on the newly opened Krispy Kreme ?
Tried out the krispy kreme yesterday. Picked up the original glazed (Rs 50) and a blueberry filled powder coated one (Rs 60). Overall not too bad. Coming from a sweet tooth that means they are good but not exceptional. The glazed one was better than the blueberry one. Sweeter and better balanced. The powdered sugar not really great.

It is the kind of thing you can have a couple of times, but is not so great that you can wind up there three times a week for the rest of your life. Consider it a treat and it works well.
Old 26th February 2013, 11:26   #2583
BHPian

Had been to Eastern Diner on JNC Road, Koramangala. We were just roaming around and the bright red color radiating from this place pulled us in.
We were happy to find Tibetian food, and we ordered butter garlic mushrooms, veg momos and veg thugpa. The taste is not Indianised thankfully and the portions are quite generous. Top it with great VFM. The whole thing cost us 235 bucks!
The food elevated the mood and price kept the mind peaceful
Old 1st March 2013, 12:27   #2584
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am shifting to bangalore and have my 1st marriage anniversay also coming up.

I am looking for a quite and peaceful dinner with my spouse. Would prefer a setting that is quite and having good ambience. We both don't drink but having a glass of wine with food would be great.

Need suggestions on restaurants suitable for this occasion. Based on my survey on tripadvisor, i cam across following two:

1. Graze @ the Taj Residency
2. Le Jardin @ The Oberoi

Would appreciate if Bangalorians can suggest if these are good options or any other which i should be looking at.

Last edited by DCEite : 1st March 2013 at 12:29.
Old 1st March 2013, 13:01   #2585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Guys,

I am looking for a quite and peaceful dinner with my spouse. Would prefer a setting that is quite and having good ambience. We both don't drink but having a glass of wine with food would be great.

Need suggestions on restaurants suitable for this occasion. Based on my survey on tripadvisor, i cam across following two:

Would appreciate if Bangalorians can suggest if these are good options or any other which i should be looking at.
Considering the fact that you are looking at the 5*+,how could you not even think of the Leela.The courtesy usually floors everybody and the food's good as well.Tell them you have an anniversary dinner planned and they would make it special for you.Jaamvar is excellent but yes expensive no doubt.

Baluchi at The Lalit is also great.Food's great as well,not the usual bland 5*.

Skyye at UB City,16th floor is good as well.Views from the top and open air are a plus.http://www.skyye.in
Old 1st March 2013, 13:55   #2586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I am shifting to bangalore and have my 1st marriage anniversay also coming up.I am looking for a quite and peaceful dinner with my spouse.
Paparazzi at Manipal center will also fit the bill here.

The view of city from this restaurant is great.

Waseem.
Old 1st March 2013, 15:10   #2587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Try Grasshopper on Bannerghatta Road. It meant exactly for occasions like these, and is very different from a five star dining experience. Pricey (though probably less than five star restaurants), but the ambience and overall experience would be very good.

Check it out:
http://www.grasshopper.in/
Old 1st March 2013, 15:18   #2588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
... The view of city from this restaurant is great. ...
Ebony in Barton Center (13th Floor). Great food, especially the Parsi dishes. Reserve a table outside (always full) - great view.

Not sure if the restaurant at the top (24th floor) of Public Utility Building on MG Road is operational - used to have good food too at one time.

And then there are the twin restaurants on top of Sheraton (behind ISKCON temple). Good view, great food. One is Indian cuisine, and the other is Persian.
Old 1st March 2013, 23:15   #2589
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Ebony in Barton Center (13th Floor). Great food, especially the Parsi dishes. Reserve a table outside (always full) - great view.

Not sure if the restaurant at the top (24th floor) of Public Utility Building on MG Road is operational - used to have good food too at one time.

And then there are the twin restaurants on top of Sheraton (behind ISKCON temple). Good view, great food. One is Indian cuisine, and the other is Persian.
The one in the PU Building was called TopKapi.
Very nice it used to be. Considered quite a posh place in the 'eighties and 'nineties and even in the early 2000's.
Old 2nd March 2013, 16:45   #2590
Senior - BHPian

Ah yes, Top Kapi (it is a Turkish name) - it was initially owned by 'Gabbar Singh' Amjad Khan.

Chicken Kababs and CP at Impy's today - no more description needed. Been having the same thing (barring the occasional Mutton Pepper Fry) for the last 20 years at this place - and I am yet to detect a change in flavor. VFM is an understatement, despite the price having gone up from 30 to 129 for half CK + 2 CP (cherwa free) in 20 years.

Last edited by DerAlte : 2nd March 2013 at 16:47.
Old 2nd March 2013, 17:13   #2591
BHPian

had dinner at Baluchi(hotel lalit ashok). awesome food. excellent taste and felt was value for money. 2 starters veg and non veg, 2 gravies 4 roti costed 2800/-.
service was very friendly.
Old 2nd March 2013, 18:02   #2592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Considering the fact that you are looking at the 5*+,how could you not even think of the Leela.The courtesy usually floors everybody and the food's good as well.Tell them you have an anniversary dinner planned and they would make it special for you.Jaamvar is excellent but yes expensive no doubt.

Baluchi at The Lalit is also great.Food's great as well,not the usual bland 5*.

Skyye at UB City,16th floor is good as well.Views from the top and open air are a plus.http://www.skyye.in
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Try Grasshopper on Bannerghatta Road. It meant exactly for occasions like these, and is very different from a five star dining experience. Pricey (though probably less than five star restaurants), but the ambience and overall experience would be very good.

Check it out:
http://www.grasshopper.in/
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Thanks a lot for those suggestions guys.

16th floor roof top restaurant seems to be interesting. Would be a good surprise for the wifey as well.

I checked grasshopper site, they are not operational on Mondays. Thats when my anniversary is. :(

I only hope that Skyee is not too crowded or male dominated during our outing. The concept looks good though.
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:41   #2593
Senior - BHPian

Digging out the previous topic of discussion: shawarma rolls.

I had been to Total Mall on Sarjapur road today. Usually I eat the shawarma rolls right there. Earlier, they used to serve pita bread, but recently they had started serving rumali roti.

Today I asked for takeaway and noticed that they use pita for takeaway and rumali roti for dine-in! I'm glad I asked for takeaway.
Old 3rd March 2013, 00:16   #2594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Just came back from my anniversary dinner at Mezza Luna located in the recently opened Movenpick hotel. This is some of the best italian I've had in a very very long time. The Ravioli in tomato basil was outstanding - easily the best I've eaten in Bangalore or probably anywhere else. Also tried their house special calzone with their home made pepperoni which had an incredibly different (and better!) taste than any other.

Service standards were top notch and the service personnel are extremely well groomed and help you understand the intricacies of every dish you order. Even Chef Antonio was super friendly and came over to our table to wish us a happy anniversary.

Highly recommended! This is probably *the* destination to go to if you want authentic italian from a chef born and trained in milan.

It is pricey, but for the experience and quality, it is totally worth it.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 3rd March 2013 at 00:17.
Old 3rd March 2013, 03:55   #2595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I only hope that Skyee is not too crowded or male dominated during our outing. The concept looks good though.
It is a team-BHP'ian who runs the entire place. Why don't you PM me and I'll put you across to the "owner" himself so to speak I'm sure he'll make it a night for you to remember.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks