Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2022, 10:59   #3901
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I think the advent of social media and food vloggers has hyped up many restaurants and converted the already famous ones into a cult. There is a YouTube vlogger 'Food TV ' or something like that who goes around reviewing various food outlets. An year ago, I tried a 5-6 of his recommendations after watching the videos and was mostly underwhelmed from what I ate. Did not find the restaurants worth the time, money and energy that I spent to go and eat food at the reviewed establishment. That YT fellow enamors the audience with his impeccable vocabulary and expressions of tasting food. Every dish is very tasty in his opinion but that is not the case in reality, unfortunately.
Plus one to that. Another such hyped up thing is this Hoskote Biryani. My neighbor went 6 in the morning to queue up there and proudly got me some and boy, it was terrible. Totally beats me how can anyone queue up early morning for this?

Coming back to dosa, in my admittedly ignorant north indian 2 cents, CTR in Malleshwaram is where I had the best dosa of my life. It was just too good!
Old 18th April 2022, 11:35   #3902
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I am from North Karnataka (Dharwad) but never got to enjoy such rotis - ever. Not even our grandmothers (who were excellent in cooking) were able to make such rotis (or Jwalada rottis / bhakri as we call them)
Wow, that's quite an endorsement from someone who is actually from North Karnataka! Must go check this place out, thanks.

Though I've lived in Bangalore all my life, got very interested in N Karnataka food after numerous visits to Badami. Every time I'm there I eat in the different khanavalis and I enjoy the simple, tasty and healthy food.

And does anyone know of any places in Bangalore that serve authentic Marwari food? I'm guessing there should be some near the Chickpete/Balepete area since that part of town has a significant population of businessmen from the community. Have fond memories of a few meals at a friend's place around that area during school days.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 12:07   #3903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
In my opinion, it is one of the most overrated places in Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Ironic, as the dosa was arguably the most underwhelming thing I ate there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Agree, never quite liked that place from the beginning
As mentioned by audioholic, taste is very subjective. While I do agree it is not the best, I would not rate it as worst too. For me it is better than CTR (waiting for plates to be thrown at me ) but the all time best for me has to be at erstwhile Sanman hotel (current Pai Vinod deluxe hall) on Gandhi bazaar main road. And now it is the MLTR closely followed by NMH where I like it the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

So this whole argument about the best Dose is not something I would go with. You cant compare them, but rather just maintain a Dose hall of fame which many restaurants can be a part of.
Completely agree!
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 12:53   #3904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
And now it is the MLTR closely followed by NMH where I like it the best.
Hi TorqueyTechie, I travel quite frequently to Bangalore from Chennai and love the masala dose in Bangalore. What do MLTR and NMH stand for? Not sure if I have tried these places already. I have of course been to CTR and Vidhyarthi and found both to be quite good.

Cheers,
Ram
Old 20th April 2022, 14:23   #3905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbhp View Post
What do MLTR and NMH stand for?
Both are old fmaous restaurants in Basavanagudi - Maha Lakshmi Tiffin Room and New Modern Hotel.

Vidyarthi Bhavan - more than the Dosae it's about the servers coming with 7-8 plates in a hand.

I've never come across someone saying VB dosae "tastes" good. I don't understand this "best dosae in Bengaluru" competition. This is like Best husband/wife in the world kind of statements

Same for Idly...SLV (BSK 2nd stage) vs Brahmin's coffee bar invokes heated discussions. Although I prefer the SLV version, I'd happily visit the Brahmin's coffee bar.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 15:38   #3906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Both are old fmaous restaurants in Basavanagudi - Maha Lakshmi Tiffin Room and New Modern Hotel.

Vidyarthi Bhavan - more than the Dosae it's about the servers coming with 7-8 plates in a hand.

I've never come across someone saying VB dosae "tastes" good. I don't understand this "best dosae in Bengaluru" competition. This is like Best husband/wife in the world kind of statements

Same for Idly...SLV (BSK 2nd stage) vs Brahmin's coffee bar invokes heated discussions. Although I prefer the SLV version, I'd happily visit the Brahmin's coffee bar.
100% agree with you.

Its not a competition. Its more about variety.

While we're talking about dose, Dwaraka at NR Colony (erstwhile located on Bull Temple Road) has good Khali Dose/Chutney combo. Be aware, for first timers, 2 pieces of Khali Dose might be heavy.

Also, Palav in MLTR is nice and different. They add in roasted breadpieces, which I have not seen in any other hotels(they do add it in marriage receptions though)

Idly Chutney in By2Coffee is pretty awesome as well. Unfortunately too many hotels churning out only chutneys and no sambar at all. Any recommendations?
akhil_007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 16:22   #3907
Senior - BHPian

NR colony used to be my playground Your post left me reminiscing about the Dwarka 'Dosay chutney'. For best 'sambar' you don't have to look far, just opposite Dwarka, there is the awesome Trupthi (I hope I recall the name right). Everything is great there. Upahara Darshini 'sambar' is also good
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Unfortunately too many hotels churning out only chutneys and no sambar at all. Any recommendations?
Old 20th April 2022, 19:27   #3908
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately too many hotels churning out only chutneys and no sambar at all. Any recommendations?
Hands down, the best sambar for the idly in the town is at 'SN Refreshments', JP Nagar.

One of the fieriest(heat) and unique sambar in B'lore. I have NOT seen anything remotely close, in any of the other restaurants in the town.
Old 20th April 2022, 19:37   #3909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
For best 'sambar' you don't have to look far, just opposite Dwarka, there is the awesome Trupthi (I hope I recall the name right). Everything is great there. Upahara Darshini 'sambar' is also good
Already bored of Trupthi. UD sambar is good but nowadays I feel the hygiene of the place and their utensils has gone down. Bored as well since I have been visiting the place since 3 decades

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Hands down, the best sambar for the idly in the town is at 'SN Refreshments', JP Nagar.

One of the fieriest(heat) and unique sambar in B'lore. I have NOT seen anything remotely close, in any of the other restaurants in the town.
Agreed. Been an old customer. Was looking for any new places to explore.

UK(Upahara Kendra) near National College Flyover has good sambar to go with their piping hot idly vade. South Thindis and Vaibhav Restaurant near Krishna Rao Park/Bharathi Nursing home used to be good but haven't been there in ages.

Adigas opposite Hemachandra Sagar Marriage Hall had superb sambar(my go to place when I'm down with cold/cough) but heard from friends that its closed now
Old 20th April 2022, 20:00   #3910
BHPian

I don't understand the reason of making the sambar in Karnataka sweet, it really makes the otherwise tasty idli dosa quite tasteless

Chutney both coconut and onion tomato are very tasty.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 20:20   #3911
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

Are you referring to SN hotel near Ambi house?
I beg to differ . SN is famous for idli and chutney. 'Sambar' you have to ask specifically. I felt sambar there is pretty STRONG for my tolerance level.
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 20:36   #3912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Are you referring to SN hotel near Ambi house
Yes.
Quote:
I beg to differ . SN is famous for idli and chutney. 'Sambar' you have to ask specifically.
Chutney is also equally good. But here the OP was asking about the 'Sambar'.
You just have to ask for 'Double Dip'.
Quote:
I felt sambar there is pretty STRONG for my tolerance level.
Indeed. NOT everyone can partake the same. It's the USP of the place.
Old 20th April 2022, 20:40   #3913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
I don't understand the reason of making the sambar in Karnataka sweet, it really makes the otherwise tasty idli dosa quite tasteless
It is to do with the local cuisine here where jaggery is used in most of the preparation. And I don't think it makes it tasteless especially when the sambar is made fresh. What makes it sweet later in the day is the caramelized onion which adds to the sweetness.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 21:00   #3914
Senior - BHPian

Try sambar 'dippu' at Dakshin Cafe JP Nagar. SN is great for idli chutney
Quote:
Already bored of Trupthi. UD sambar is good but nowadays I feel the hygiene of the place and their utensils has gone down. Bored as well since I have been visiting the place since 3 decades
Old 20th April 2022, 21:08   #3915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
It has got to do with the owner/cook of South Indian restaurants. If they are from coastal Karnataka (eg, Udupi) they make sambhar with jaggery. In fact, most of the dishes they make are sweetish in taste. The south Karnataka and north Karnataka dishes are quite spicy.

Last edited by msdivy : 20th April 2022 at 21:16.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks