Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2022, 11:06   #3931
Team-BHP Support

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
... I would make sure I could walk back
They'll need to walk off all the delicacies consumed, so further the better!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 13:04   #3932
BHPian

Recently had a chance to eat at Oota in the EPIP area and I was overwhelmed with the authentic Karnataka foods on offer ( Kodava cuisine, Coastal cuisine, South karnataka food items, North Karnataka items, food items from the hills - it covered everything).

Other than the Kamats and the Khanavalis - what are the other top places to have "true" karnataka foods ( staples or snacks ) in Bengaluru? Fine dining or fast foods - both.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 13:11   #3933
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Other than the Kamats and the Khanavalis - what are the other top places to have "true" karnataka foods ( staples or snacks ) in Bengaluru? Fine dining or fast foods - both.
I know only couple of them in Bangalore - Nalapaka that has been around for years in Rajajinagar and the newer Basaveshwar khanavali with 3 outlets now in Bangalore.

I've tried the Jayanagar outlet of Basaveshwar and found it to be good, yet to try Nalapaka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Being a weekend and people like us curious to try out CTR, so asking CTR veterans here, any strategic location to safely park the car even if it means walking some distance?
If you can find parking somewhere just off of Margosa road (for example the cross road just after Veena Stores, but that maybe quite a long walk all the way down to the Malleswaram grounds/KC General hospital junction just before which you get CTR on the left). Or try in one of the other parallel cross roads further down Margosa (you can enter Margosa road from Sankey Road side, this way you can avoid Sampige road if you were to go via Mantri mall, in which case you'd have to go into Srirampura road and head back towards Malleswaram circle, etc too painful, we learnt the hard way about 3 weeks ago

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd April 2022 at 14:41. Reason: back to back posts merged
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 13:34   #3934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Recently had a chance to eat at Oota in the EPIP area and I was overwhelmed with the authentic Karnataka foods on offer ( Kodava cuisine, Coastal cuisine, South karnataka food items, North Karnataka items, food items from the hills - it covered everything).

There are quite a few that I can remember .

1. Udupi Krishna bhavan , Gandhi Bazaar main road - Udupi cuisine.
2. Halli mane , Malleshwaram - Similar kind of cuisine.
3. Pulimunchi, Sadashivanagar/ Sanadige, Race course road/Namma Kudla, J P Nagar - Mangalore cuisine
4. Brahmin's Khanavali, Ashok Nagar - North Karnataka style food

These are some places which I have been except for Namma Kudla. All serve tasty food and has good vegetarian options.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 14:01   #3935
Senior - BHPian

I have always parked on the opposite road (Next to the ground)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Being a weekend and people like us curious to try out CTR, so asking CTR veterans here, any strategic location to safely park the car even if it means walking some distance?
Sebring is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 14:25   #3936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I've tried the Jayanagar outlet of Basaveshwar and found it to be good, yet to try Nalapaka.
Having tried both - I would rate Basaveshwar better than Nalapaka for meals. The old Nalapaka was a small outlet. The bigger one which I visited a few years back is better for snacks rather than meals. I like the paddus and bajjis they prepare.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd April 2022 at 18:58. Reason: Quoted text edited
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 10:41   #3937
BHPian

Drove to Bugle Rock Park in the morning for our Sunday morning "park walk". Got a chance to grab a light breakfast at By2 Coffee.
Expectations were high after seeing it being praised on some foodie forums but it was just about ok. We had Idli Vada, Kesari Bhaat and coffee. Maybe its their style but there was light note of sourness to the idli which we don't prefer.
curiousElf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 10:56   #3938
Senior - BHPian

Visited Badaveshwar Khanavaali, Jayanagar last weekend. The number of people waiting were higher than the number of people eating inside. Thankfully, we had booked and our wait time was very minimal compared to the several 100 walk in customers.

Absolutely loved the food. The taste was good. Hopefully they maintain the levels of taste and service for a long time.
Old 24th April 2022, 11:09   #3939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I know only couple of them in Bangalore - Nalapaka that has been around for years in Rajajinagar and the newer Basaveshwar khanavali with 3 outlets now in Bangalore.

There are a whole bunch of "Basaveshwar Khanavali" on Google Maps, and most of them have 4+ ratings. So I found it quite hard to find the ones that were you were referring to. Also, their website doesn't list "other locations"
My best guesses(they all refer to the same website):
228/15, 1st floor, 9th Main Rd, Jayanagar 3rd Block, Jayanagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560011
Basaveshwar Khanavali
080 4128 9914
https://maps.app.goo.gl/4f93CK79SvrGNaMy8

Basaveshwar Khanavali
26/1, Seshadri Rd, Gandhi Nagar,
Bengaluru, Karnataka 560009
080 4375 5991
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Zx6Ce1BRf4X7BBSN6

1st floor 81,8th cross, Dattatreya temple street, 8th Cross Rd, Malleswaram, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560003
Basaveshwar Khanavali
080 2334 3399
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SiToH9MJFoKju29Z9
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 11:57   #3940
BHPian

Quote:
There are a whole bunch of "Basaveshwar Khanavali" on Google Maps, and most of them have 4+ ratings.
I visited the one in Malleshwaram recently. You can find my review posted a week back.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5298437 (A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore)
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 12:04   #3941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
The MTR on the 11th cross Malleshwaram is closed. I was not aware and was told by the lady in the nearby shop that it closed three years back. Sad - it was a nice place.
Which one are you referring to? Maiyas on 11th Cross? Masala Dose was the only item I could eat over there and coffee, somehow I didn't like any other items.

Yes it got closed down couple of years back due to low foot fall. Towards the end we only use to have coffee at the outside and leave, not bothering to eat anything.

Though I still like the Maiyas in the Jayanagar 4th Block.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 24th April 2022 at 12:08.
Old 24th April 2022, 14:05   #3942
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My best guesses(they all refer to the same website)
Yes I was referring to these 3 branches, this group started their branches in Bangalore just before the pandemic in 2020, I think they're from Dharwad originally, others you see on gmaps are namesakes.
In fact I thought they only have the 2 branches on Malleswaram 8th cross and Seshadri road (saw them featured in YouTube videos), till a friend mentioned about Jayanagar and we ended up going there recently.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 18:15   #3943
BHPian

Mission CTR accomplished !! Thanks guys for all the inputs !

Reached around 7.20 AM, parked the car at the parallel 4th main road, walked in and straightaway got the table in the first floor.
Had our sumptuous share of masala dosas, vadas and coffee. Everything was fresh and flavors balanced.

Name:  IMG_1902.JPG
Views: 371
Size:  140.4 KB
mankuthimma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 18:29   #3944
BHPian

I visited Vidyarthi Bhavan today. Had a masala dose and coffee. Dose was good. But the chutney could have been better. Coffee was good, although watery. 91 rupees including GST.
I feel sorry for the waiters. They themselves take the order, serve and give the bill. But they wont get any tips because the customers are expected to pay to cashier. It is an old school system. I wonder why the owner has not thought about this.
Also, it is a flawed system. There is a possibility of customer not making the payment at the cash counter and escape :-)
adithya.kp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 11:54   #3945
Oxy
BHPian

I am looking to have a family day out tomorrow, with wife, kid, parents, in laws, brother and his wife and kids.

The idea is to gather at Cubbon Park in the morning, have breakfast at Brahmins Cafe. Then head over to Sattvam for lunch.

I am wondering what can be done to kill time between breakfast and lunch, as well as after lunch till dusk.

Any ideas or better suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Last edited by Oxy : 29th April 2022 at 11:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks