Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2021, 13:24   #3841
Oxy
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Will be driving down to Palakkad, Kerala this weekend (from Bangalore). Any recommendations for breakfast/lunch joints on the way would really help.
Old 8th March 2021, 14:58   #3842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
So people who are fond of ordering on the apps, please be aware of how much extra you are paying. If you are close to the restaurant it makes a lot better sense to walk (also healthy !!) and do a take-away.
Yes, it is a known fact that Swiggy marks up its prices for most restaurants, and then in many cases offers a discount which usually offsets the additional price. I ensure that most of what I order from Swiggy are from restaurants which offer some discounts. That way, you end up paying more or less same as what you would in the actual restaurant and offset the markup in Swiggy prices.
Old 10th April 2021, 21:38   #3843
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Any recommendations for breakfast eateries around 50km or so from the city centre (and within the state, don't want to cross state borders) ?
One that came to mind was Nandi upachar past the Bangalore airport. Any others ?
Old 10th April 2021, 22:54   #3844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Any recommendations for breakfast eateries around 50km or so from the city centre (and within the state, don't want to cross state borders) ?
One that came to mind was Nandi upachar past the Bangalore airport. Any others ?
A wee bit out of town, but Lokaruchi in Ramanagaram?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 23:07   #3845
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
A wee bit out of town, but Lokaruchi in Ramanagaram?
Thanks Chetan!

I thought Lokaruchi has lost its charm and is possibly a good choice more for the jolada rotti meal than breakfast. But yes, it's an option along with Thatte idli places in Bidadi. Given the current status of Mysore road, I'd keep them as plan B options though

In fact I also considered the Thatte idli place in kunigal that @parag had mentioned in his Travelogue recently, but that's about 80+km, so didn't decide on that one.

Last edited by NPV : 10th April 2021 at 23:11.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 23:41   #3846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You may want to try Kote Idly at a very non-descript stand and eat Idly shop at Kote Idly Mane, Kanakpura town? Don’t go with the look of the place though. The Idly and Vada there with the red Chutney is very good.

Other option could be ‘Renukamba’ at Bidadi for Thatte Idly.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 23:47   #3847
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Chetan!

I thought Lokaruchi has lost its charm and is possibly a good choice more for the jolada rotti meal than breakfast...
I don't care much for their breakfast buffet either, but the rava dosa and poori-sagu are yummy, among the choices on the à la carte menu. Filter coffee is great too.

I usually try to time it so I wrap up breakfast right about time they fire up the jalebi counter (9.30-ish). Have some and take some
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 08:55   #3848
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
You may want to try Kote Idly at a very non-descript stand and eat Idly shop at Kote Idly Mane, Kanakpura town? Don’t go with the look of the place though. The Idly and Vada there with the red Chutney is very good.

Other option could be ‘Renukamba’ at Bidadi for Thatte Idly.
Both these are very popular weekend places now thanks to YouTube reviews

I still haven't visited Kote idli yet, will do sometime on a weekday if possible.
Old 11th April 2021, 10:47   #3849
BHPian

Quote:
You can try Indian Paratha Company, past the Nandi Hills junction or The Ranch (past the Big Banyan Tree).
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 11:37   #3850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both these are very popular weekend places now thanks to YouTube reviews

I still haven't visited Kote idli yet, will do sometime on a weekday if possible.
True that. I never go to these places on Saturday or Sunday.
1- it’s too crowded and noisy and you are in the midst of some really loud in your face crowds

and

2- the taste somehow isn’t as good as a normal weekday one. I feel the popular ones compromise on the taste, quantity or the sides over the weekends.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 11:43   #3851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sambrama Veg is a good option in Tumkur road. Underrated but is gaining popularity. Malgudi Vattika in Mysore road used to be good, I believe has lost the charm since road widening.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 13:20   #3852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Ah, Glen's Bakehouse! Good memories on that. I have been to the one of Lavelle road. These days they have dug that road up and made a mess of it.

Although I haven't tried their pizza (will try it next time), I am a fan of their cup cakes. The red velvet in particular.

For pizza, I don't know of a single place in Bangalore that I could recommend - While other toppings may mostly be alright, either the cheese is horrible or the crust is. Good cheese is not easy to come by here, it appears.
Glens is good. Another secret yet good place is Chez Mariannick.

https://g.co/kgs/1NwT4z
monish_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 14:13   #3853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monish_m View Post
secret yet good place is Chez Mariannick
Not too from my office, but we might be on WFH the entire of 2021. Thanks for the information. Will check it out.
Old 26th October 2021, 17:49   #3854
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Last week we heard about Veena stores expanding their space by taking up the adjacent shop that used to be an MRF tyre showroom in the past.

Pictures of the place looked nice with neat and simple interiors, and it essentially remains a Darshini with just tables and some corner benches on the sides.

Wifey and her friends headed out to try the place for a late breakfast and some shopping at Malleswaram. They were quite disappointed and underwhelmed. Their verdict - the idli and chutney is decent, the rest just hype! Most family run/small eateries seem to lose out on their good food once they expand.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 18:42   #3855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wifey and her friends headed out to try the place for a late breakfast and some shopping at Malleswaram. They were quite disappointed and underwhelmed. Their verdict - the idli and chutney is decent, the rest just hype! Most family run/small eateries seem to lose out on their good food once they expand.
I have eaten everything available on the menu here and have found nothing special in terms of taste/flavour. Only thing is that it has remained fairly consistent over a period of ten years (of my going there).

But with the availability of sitting space, the patrons can at least enjoy their food in peace and one place.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks