Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2021, 12:00   #3856
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Rameshwaram Cafe opened on 12th Main Indiranagar about 2-3 months ago and has become very popular (extremely crowded on weekends). A Darshini type place and you need to stand on the footpath outside and eat. Tried on a weekday morning to avoid the mad rush, was ideal for a quick catch up with couple of friends visiting Bangalore.

We tried few of their items on the menu, turned out to be a good sampling/tasting session. Their Idli (small sized Thatte idli), Vada (small) with 2 chutneys and Sambar were good, Khaara baath, kesari baath and Pongal were average and Dosas were excellent - tried Open Butter masala and Masala Dosa, followed by Coffee which was quite good as well. The Dosas are a full, satisfying meal by themselves

Last edited by NPV : 28th October 2021 at 12:02.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 13:42   #3857
Senior - BHPian

Recently went to Bengaluru Cafe (location here). Had heard some good reviews about the place and thought to try. For me taste was very underwhelming. While the Idly+Vada was usual like other darshinis, their dosas were too much crispy and dripping with butter. A 2.5/5 for me.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 17:35   #3858
BHPian

I am a big fan of Khali Dose and I have eaten in almost all the places in Bangalore. Recently, a new place was opened near Gubbalala, Subramanyapura in Turahalli area and it is called Brahmin's Coffee Katte. They make nice Khali dose and it is available only on weekdays. The other items in the menu are also really nice. Attaching a picture of khali dose I had a few days ago.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20211031-5.33.21-pm.jpeg  

chethan.ram is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:00   #3859
BHPian

Visited Rameshwaram Cafe in Indiranagar.

Food is good, but nothing special to bear the hassle of standing by the pavement in the rush. For the kind of prices they charge, this first was the last time I do this for basic South Indian dishes.
WorkingGuru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 15:38   #3860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post

Food is good, but nothing special to bear the hassle of standing by the pavement in the rush. For the kind of prices they charge, this first was the last time I do this for basic South Indian dishes.
I tried the JP Nagar one and it was very ordinary. Nothing special about it.
chethan.ram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 15:41   #3861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
I tried the JP Nagar one and it was very ordinary. Nothing special about it.
We really used to wonder what on earth this place was - with huge crowds even nearing midnight in Indiranagar and JP Nagar. Looked just like any other jacked-up darshini. Kept it as a future tryout when the crowds have thinned out.
From the feedback I hear, this is nothing special and certainly not lining up for. So this goes off my list for the time being.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 11:06   #3862
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Tried Umesh dosa point this week. Didn't know this place was another mini thindi beedhi/food street in Kumara Park/Seshadripuram!

We tried their Idli, Plain & Masala dosas, and all were good (only chutney no sambar though). They've become very popular and are opening in Indiranagar soon (no less than on/very near 100 feet road!)

The adjacent shop sells chaat (place with no name?) and is hugely popular, also other shops nearby selling bajjis and one with Belgian waffles also were crowded, didn't try though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
We really used to wonder what on earth this place was - with huge crowds even nearing midnight in Indiranagar and JP Nagar. Looked just like any other jacked-up darshini. Kept it as a future tryout when the crowds have thinned out.
True, after my first visit in October last year, took the family once and found it underwhelming, off our list too.

Last edited by NPV : 20th February 2022 at 11:32.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 12:24   #3863
BHPian

One hole in the wall joint that I like is 'Eat First' which is in 5th Block Jayanagar, opposite to Shalini grounds near MES high school. Its an old joint and have recently expanded and there is no seating available. I like the slightly rustic type of Dosas, Idly and Vadas and usually take out from here and like Taaza Thindi, they dont serve Sambar and only chutney.
mazda4life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 01:33   #3864
Team-BHP Support

Lakeview Milk Bar, MG Road.

What a damp squib. Ice cream in my sundae was lumpy and crystallized, SO's cheesecake literally had a burnt crust. Better not peek into their ice cream freezer while you're at it.

Just another place skating by on bygone reputation. Neither the hygiene nor the product itself are a patch on Corner House.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th February 2022 at 01:35.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 10:09   #3865
Senior - BHPian

Had been to few restaurants past few weeks.

1. Rajathadri Palace (Jayanagar 7th Block) : Had went to their seating area in the first floor. Ordered Gobi Manchurian as starter, french fries for kids. Both were good. French fries especially were crispy on outside with a soft core. Kids loved it and devoured it. For main course had ordered Roti & butter naan along with dal tadka and Veg kofta curry. Dal tadka was good but the kofta curry felt very sweet.
Ambience : Nothing extraordinary. Simple and functional.
Food : 3.5/5. Didnt have any complaints about the food quality and quantity except for the kofta curry.

2. New Udupi Palace (Jigani) : We had stopped for lunch and tea and coffee at the same place. For lunch we had ordered their North Indian and South Indian thali. Again standard fare with not much to complain. Only complaint was that the Sambar was super spicy. Was surprised considering that it is a Udupi restaurant.

For kids had ordered Idly, Vada. Both were cold and hardly edible. We had to order fries and ice cream for them (Both are picky eaters unfortunately). Fries were okish (some were too crispy while few were under).

During our return we stopped over for coffee. Ordered maddur vada, mangalore bonda along with coffee. Big mistake, both snacks were cold and again not pleasant to eat. Coffee was good.

Food : 3/5 (Extra point for their thali. Else 2)

3. Bengaluru Cafe : I had already written my perspective about the food at this place few pages back where I had mentioned that I did not like their food. I had to go back here as my friends wanted to visit since they had not been there at all. Ordered Idly and Butter Masala Dosa. This time the Dosa was good with not so much oil/butter in it. Their coffee & tea is good (we had twice). Parking becomes a problem by 8:30/9 AM.

Food : 3.5/5 (extra .5 for the coffee/tea).

4. New Udupi Dosa Camp (Carmelram) : Ordered set dosa for kids and Rotis & Veg kolhapuri (I think). Set dosa was soft and fluffy which kids liked. Rotis and curry again standard. A good option to go incase of anyone wanting to go for a veg only restaurant. Parking is limited though and because road works are going on, the road is busy most of the times.

5. Fisherman's Wharf (Harlur) : Used to visit this regularly when I was going to office at Sarjapur road. This time wanted to take my family and since I was around that area thought to go. They only had ala carte on that day (not sure if they have started the buffet). We ordered Veg Minestrone soup , Lotus stem fry and Roti with Kadhai Paneer. They gave fries for the kids as complimentary. Food was good nothing to complain at all. Kids liked the open space and were enjoying roaming about.

6. Barbecue Nation (Kanakapura road) : This is a new branch (2 months old when we visited) located close to Doddkalsandra Metro station. It is a buffet lunch but starters and main course served at the table itself. Desserts can be taken from the stalls setup. For kids they provided fries and also few starters with no spicy made specially for them by the chef. Liked the way they took extra care of the food for the kids. It sure did become crowded & by the time we were leaving there was hardly few tables free.

7. Yogitha chats (Kothnur Main road, JP Nagar) : Though not a restaurant but writing a review as I really liked the food. Their Samosas and Kachoris are very good as are the Jalebis. I really liked the fillings in the Samosas. I had went at the right time though as all three were hot. Yumm!

8. RRoyal Rajasthan (Sarjapur) : Again a restaurant which I used to visit during my office time at Sarjapur. Visited this for lunch on a weekday with family and was not crowded at all (just another family). Ordered three thalis which in hindsight was too much for three adults. We could have ordered 2 and shared amongst us as the Thali has a big spread of items. Kids ate the Puri and Phulkas which came in the thali itself. Lassi was quite good too (thick and creamy). Food quality and quantity is definitely good. Definitely recommend this. Point to note : This is right opposite to Big brewski and so parking might become a problem.

9. Levels pub (JP Nagar) : Visited this with friends. A nice place to meetup with friends and has a trendy vibe. Food is good too. Had ordered szechuan mushroom, giant mushroom (assorted basket of starters), Raja Masala (different name for a peanut masala ) and few non vegetarian stuffs which friends said was tasty too. Would definitely recommend as a hangout place.
P.S : Had went in a cab for obvious reasons. Did not drive/ride

10. New Modern Hotel (NMH, VV Puram) : Closing this post with an entry of an old eatery. Had went for breakfast and ordered Idly/Vada, Masala Dose and coffee. Taste is still same as it is from years . Old place with many regulars visiting from ages. Parking will be a problem near the hotel though there are options to park in surrounding streets.

Sorry for the long post folks. Writing about these now makes me think that I have eaten many times outside the past couple of weeks.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 26th February 2022 at 10:29. Reason: Added few more places
TorqueyTechie is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 18:35   #3866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Lakeview Milk Bar, MG Road.

What a damp squib. Ice cream in my sundae was lumpy and crystallized, SO's cheesecake literally had a burnt crust. Better not peek into their ice cream freezer while you're at it.

Just another place skating by on bygone reputation. Neither the hygiene nor the product itself are a patch on Corner House.
I couldn't agree more. In addition to everything you said, I also found the ice-creams used for the sundaes to be too watery. I wish I had read your post before going there. Corner House is wayyyy ahead in terms of quality in spite of expanding like crazy in the last few years.
We went to that part of the town on a nostalgia trip and also to introduce our kids to some of the Bangalore classics. But the experience was nothing to write home about, Koshy's was a strictly mixed bag and Lakeview was a total downer.
yosbert is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 11:54   #3867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
I couldn't agree more. In addition to everything you said, I also found the ice-creams used for the sundaes to be too watery. I wish I had read your post before going there. Corner House is wayyyy ahead in terms of quality in spite of expanding like crazy in the last few years.
We went to that part of the town on a nostalgia trip and also to introduce our kids to some of the Bangalore classics. But the experience was nothing to write home about, Koshy's was a strictly mixed bag and Lakeview was a total downer.
Corner house has maintained their quality over the years.

Had been there a few days ago and observed that they have revised the GST charged from 5% to 18%. Noticed this only after coming back home when I glanced at the bill.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 12:10   #3868
Senior - BHPian

+1. Polar bear is great too. Besides, There is the famous Ideal Ice-cream, Mangalore who have a counter in Vijaynagar (Near the water-tank/bus stop). That stuff is delicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Corner house has maintained their quality over the years.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 13:11   #3869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
For me, corner House is the last word in ice creams. I have been a loyalist for the last 15 years and none of the other places can hold a candle to them in terms of quality and quantity. Lakeview was a complete disappointment the one time that I did try them a few years back.

Another good brand of ice cream is Arun , sadly not known too well. Superb quality and variety of flavours, well worth it if you are not in the mood for big sundaes at Corner House. Leaves the likes of Kwality and Amul etc in the dust.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 14:19   #3870
BHPian

Quote:
For me, corner House is the last word in ice creams. I have been a loyalist for the last 15 years and none of the other places can hold a candle to them in terms of quality and quantity. Lakeview was a complete disappointment the one time that I did try them a few years back.
Sadly there was a time (20+ years back) when both of them used to be equally good.

Quote:
Another good brand of ice cream is Arun , sadly not known too well. Superb quality and variety of flavours, well worth it if you are not in the mood for big sundaes at Corner House. Leaves the likes of Kwality and Amul etc in the dust.
If I am not in mood for sundaes and want plain vanilla (pun intended!) ice-creams, I usually go for Naturals or Apsara ice creams from Mumbai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks