Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2022, 07:38   #3991
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Marco Pierre White (for example), personality quirks aside, is a qualified culinary professional. He also happens to like his scrambled eggs done a certain way, which I wouldn't touch with a foot-long fork. I've picked up plenty of tips from his cooking methods, but I'd never trust him to recommend a place I could get a good plate of scrambled eggs for breakfast at.
Good post. If you watch the movie Toscana on Netflix, you might get an inkling of what is a good version of a recipe! The Michelin star chef reprimands his sous chef for trying to follow fads: he only wants him to follow the established way. In the end, he allows variations, realising that recipes can be improved on.

However, in art and craft, there is a guideline: know the rules, before you break the rules! Check out the genius of Picasso's pink and blue periods, before he began to paint in primary colours, like a child!

So if White can make a good classic scrambled egg, and then modify it, explaining how he improved on the original, then he has my vote if he stood for election to be on the expert panel here (this is imagining he asked or was asked to contest!).

Giving my dosai example, considering my friend gave an insightful explanation about why the dosai camps mostly serve mediocre dosai, unlike MTR and Vidyarthi Bhavan, would you vote for him to be on the expert panel?

Last edited by proton : 3rd June 2022 at 07:43.
Old 3rd June 2022, 10:19   #3992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post

Giving my dosai example, considering my friend gave an insightful explanation about why the dosai camps mostly serve mediocre dosai, unlike MTR and Vidyarthi Bhavan, would you vote for him to be on the expert panel?
There are lot of people who like their dose thin and crisp. I took my parents to Vidyarthi Bhavan long back hoping they like the dose, they felt its too thick and way too greasy. A lot of friends from north prefer thin dose and like it with Sambar. No matter how good a sambar can be, I can never eat dose with Sambar, for me a good chutney can vastly impact on how I rate a dose. Again thats my preference.

I don't know which camps you are referring to, but there are good ones too(Ganesh Darshan Jayanagar for example). There is a old Udupi darshini near home which I never visited as I never found place worthy. Recently made courage and went there, and was pleasantly surprised. Clean kitchen, soft idlis, good Dose and chutney was fresh.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 10:36   #3993
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... expert panel?
A voluntary community like T-BHP is not the right place to get curated, qualified-professionals-only opinions.

Here we ask, everyone who feels inclined chimes in, and often someone who knows the stuff adds their perspective. Quality rises to the top organically based on the community's collective response, and recommendations take form (look at our directory section, for examples).

We have plenty of professionals on here, opining on a range of topics, but we can neither demand guaranteed, time-bound responses from anyone, nor compel them to participate in the first place.

In a community, everyone has a voice, if they choose to say something. It's at the listener's discretion who they listen to.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd June 2022 at 10:43. Reason: A word
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 11:11   #3994
BHPian

Quote:
A voluntary community like T-BHP is not the right place to get curated, qualified-professionals-only opinions.

Here we ask, everyone who feels inclined chimes in, and often someone who knows the stuff adds their perspective. Quality rises to the top organically based on the community's collective response, and recommendations take form (look at our directory section, for examples).
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
There are lot of people who like their dose thin and crisp. I took my parents to Vidyarthi Bhavan long back hoping they like the dose, they felt its too thick and way too greasy. A lot of friends from north prefer thin dose and like it with Sambar. No matter how good a sambar can be, I can never eat dose with Sambar, for me a good chutney can vastly impact on how I rate a dose. Again thats my preference.
Great, a heated and passionate discussion, showing how strongly people feel, and how seriously they take the matter of where to get a good dosai.

However, let's not forget the purpose: how to visit an outlet based on a review, without finding out the review was subjective.

1. The reviewer can outline what is an authentic service/product.

2. He can comment on the variation offered.

3. He can either justify the change or criticise its use to hide a corner cutting by the outlet.

Too many of the reviews here do not provide sufficient detail in these areas.

Is it critical? Well, some international brands have opened hair salons and use barbers. Of course they can't afford to employ French or English stylists, but what if a person is being relocated abroad and wants a style showing their competency in working in a world class environment? They can't even get that styling in Paris, because they can't handle Asian hair (real life incident).

The work around is to find a salon run by someone who has trained and worked in Europe. Or a five star establishment that has similar-ly qualified staff. Some have Japanese restaurants and Japanese visitors are attracted to them because they get familiar food even when they stay just a week. Those who appreciate Japanese food visit when they crave it. All in all making it a viable option for the hotel.

Goods and services are always offered based on viability. All I am asking is if we can identify a small panel of experts to advise on high demand and critical resources! Peace, out.

Last edited by proton : 3rd June 2022 at 11:12.
proton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 11:22   #3995
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... identify a small panel of experts to advise on high demand and critical resources! Peace, out.
You should look for something like this for Indian cities, if it exists.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 12:09   #3996
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! This is a great resource! Chowhound AND egullet have been changed completely into marketing platforms!

If anybody wants to know what makes a good pizza, ping me. I worked summers in a gourmet pizza outlet in Europe!

Last edited by proton : 3rd June 2022 at 12:11.
Old 3rd June 2022, 12:22   #3997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If anybody wants to know what makes a good pizza, ping me. I worked summers in a gourmet pizza outlet in Europe!
For the benefit of the larger audience why not share it in this (Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs) thread.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 13:20   #3998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
For the benefit of the larger audience why not share it in this (Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs) thread.
Quote:
Thanks! This is a great resource! Chowhound AND egullet have been changed completely into marketing platforms!

To hell with that. What's his address, lets go "pronto" next TeamBHP meet here we come...

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd June 2022 at 14:39. Reason: Minor typo :).
Old 3rd June 2022, 15:00   #3999
BHPian

Quote:
It's like movie / TV series reviews by different critics. Pick someone with whose reviews you agree and then assume you are most likely to find their reviews of unknown restaurants and dishes matching with your opinions.

I think we need a formal "Bangalore restaurant directory" with reviews here on TBHP. The information here is quite scattered and mostly outdated.
Old 3rd June 2022, 16:58   #4000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
It's like movie / TV series reviews by different critics. Pick someone with whose reviews you agree and then assume you are most likely to find their reviews of unknown restaurants and dishes matching with your opinions.

I think we need a formal "Bangalore restaurant directory" with reviews here on TBHP. The information here is quite scattered and mostly outdated.

Oo-er! Back to the subjective idea again.

A quick example may change your thinking.

Italians will across the board be disappointed by chain outlet pizza. The hero is the bread! Bread varies according to texture, from dense to light, flatbread to cake. You can see that in chapati and kulcha. Chapati is flat, kulcha is fluffy. Lucknow's nihari kulcha is a misnomer! Pizza is a light bread, more ciabata than focaccia. Test your pizza the next time it is placed in front of you: press the crust at the edge: it should collapse. Pizza outlets are so proud of their base, they will often serve it to you free, in the form of cofaccino, while you wait for your order to come. You can enjoy it without the topping, as opposed to the experience of eating Domino's base.

As for Marco Pierre White's scrambled egg, it is authentic. So is Heston Blumenthal's. Both are 'scrambled', stirred to prevent setting, because eggs cooked to set are called 'omelettes'.

I had an electric pizza oven installed once: the electric bill soon required me to pack it up! Looking at a wood fired oven now, but the home minister's glare is putting a spanner in the works. Burnt and learnt!
proton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 12:37   #4001
BHPian

A quick question to the native Bengalurians.

Do we have a shop where we can get authentic cheese (like Brie, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Gruyere) or blackberry, blueberry compote/ jams for cheese cakes?
(a la Dorabjee's in Pune)..
Old 29th July 2022, 12:45   #4002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post

Do we have a shop where we can get authentic cheese (like Brie, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Gruyere) or blackberry, blueberry compote/ jams for cheese cakes?
Try Godrej Nature Basket stores
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 12:48   #4003
BHPian

Quote:

There is a Foodhall store in 1 MG mall with wide collection of cheeses and other gourmet food. They have an online ordering site also but I haven't used that.
CosmicWizard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 12:52   #4004
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Begum Victoria, high end artisanal
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 13:00   #4005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Vallombrosa Cheese: https://goo.gl/maps/nzC5TbwejQzMY9BK8

Beats every other option listed above. Sorry guys.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks