Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2020, 17:49   #3796
Senior - BHPian

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Im hoping to have some good South Indian breakfast this Sunday morning, since I stay near Whitefield, there is nothing that remotely serves decent South Indian breakfast. I had visited Ballal residency with my friend pre lockdown, and was impressed with the food, any other recommendations in the vicinity? I dont want to drive too far, Residency Road is already quite a stretch from where I stay. Anything in Indira Nagar?
Old 12th December 2020, 18:03   #3797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Im hoping to have some good South Indian breakfast this Sunday morning, since I stay near Whitefield, there is nothing that remotely serves decent South Indian breakfast. I had visited Ballal residency with my friend pre lockdown, and was impressed with the food, any other recommendations in the vicinity? I dont want to drive too far, Residency Road is already quite a stretch from where I stay. Anything in Indira Nagar?
Amazing fingerlickin' stuff here at Om Sai Skanda Dosa Camp:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/WQAigrY973p9AVvTA

Or this wonderful hole-in-the-wall place near Ulsoor lake Naadhan Fast Food: https://maps.app.goo.gl/MUDeUCG6jfRVxwt36

Or if you can head to HSR try Asha Tiffins: https://maps.app.goo.gl/WUSXRxLnQVmJ4nfn8

Discovered their food in this lockdown and the dosa and chutney is super yum. Food here tastes very close to Taaza Thindi.

Finally, if you like Benne Dosa, try out this place: Dvg Benne Dosa
https://maps.app.goo.gl/83QhryKewnU8d7BY8

The MTRs, Adiga, Udupi Parks, A2Bs of the world aren't going anywhere, try these smaller shops.

And yeah, it's South Indian breakfast for me too, tomorrow morning. Mostly from Asha Tiffins again.
creative420 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 19:32   #3798
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Dear Mods,

While this thread is very helpful for all the foodies out there, it would be so much better if all the suggestions can be organised into different lists and put up in the opening post.

Like list of Best Places for:
Breakfast Places
Pubs
Fine Dining Restaurants
Non-Veg Eateries
Theme Based eateries
Budget outlets
Landmark places where the food is must try

This would help out anyone wishing to try out the Bangalore food scene.

Hope it is feasible.
FloatingCanvas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 22:32   #3799
BHPian

Quote:
You could visit nearby branch of MTR in Indiranagar or HRBR layout which serves good South Indian breakfast.
carlosTHEjackal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 13:10   #3800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
And yeah, it's South Indian breakfast for me too, tomorrow morning. Mostly from Asha Tiffins again.
If you love Asha Tiffins, you should also check out Arogya Ahaara nearby. Very similar in concept and taste to Asha Tiffins. I normally alternate between these two places nowadays
https://goo.gl/maps/qRNGHEV275A6ijkx7 (note the google maps location may be outdated, they have shifted to a larger place nearby. But you will not miss it even if you follow the directions given in the map)
yosbert is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 18:53   #3801
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Off late, my 0500hrs start has landed me at HVR Veg in Hassan. A quaint small place in a bylane with parking being a bit of issue during peak hours. Mouth watering Dosas or masala idly with the vada served on a plantain leaf has been my favorite combo here.
Saw a couple of reviews of HVR located in Seshadripuram, bangalore. Is it run by the same folks who own HVR, Hassan ?

Quote:
Im hoping to have some good South Indian breakfast this Sunday morning...
Anything in Indira Nagar?
You can try one of these:
-Udupi Park on 100 feet road, Indiranagar near 6th Main
-Sendhoor Coffee on Sai Baba Mandir road (left side when going from ESI hospital side towards Cambridge layout)
-Iyer Idly at Vignana nagar near Malleshpalya/Kaggadasapura but they have only idlis and no dine-in option

*on right side also there's a Sendhoor Coffee with exact same board and logo just opposite this one which can be avoided.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd December 2020 at 19:57. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks.
Old 23rd December 2020, 19:12   #3802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Saw a couple of reviews of HVR located in Seshadripuram, bangalore. Is it run by the same folks who own HVR, Hassan ?
Yes, google reviews indicate so.
Old 24th December 2020, 19:01   #3803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw a couple of reviews of HVR located in Seshadripuram, bangalore. Is it run by the same folks who own HVR, Hassan
Yes Sir, it is run by the same people. I have never been here, but my friends swear by the Hassan joint.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 13:19   #3804
Senior - BHPian

Planned a catch up with friends and decided to visit Airlines hotel as we can have food in the open area near the car itself. Man what a crowd even during Covid times (shouldn't complain when I was part of the same crowd haha). Liked the dosa and coffee but did not like the Idly (was too grainy for my liking). Parking is a bit on the costlier side( 30rs for an hour).

P.S: Saw varied cars though from a simple Nano to BMWs, AMGs. Lavelle road is dug up and in pathetic shape though. Also people openly smoke inspite of boards mentioning that its banned inside the premise.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 18:55   #3805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had to rush to Udupi today and had an opportunity to savor Masala Idly and Vada this time in HVR, Hassan. The dosas had somewhat became a routine and I decided to break that this time. The Idlys were soft, fluffy and the spicy chutney was a fitting companion.
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img_20201227_075927.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 19:01   #3806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Sir, it is run by the same people. I have never been here, but my friends swear by the Hassan joint.
I went here with a friend yesterday, the food was brilliant and so was the coffee.

But the whole ordering process was a nightmare. There was obviously no covid protocol followed, nobody really gave a damn as long as they got their food.

I had to wait away from the crowd and got my food after about 45 mins. Dont think i will visit again, but the food had zero complaints.
Old 27th December 2020, 19:24   #3807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I went here with a friend yesterday, the food was brilliant and so was the coffee.
I had to wait away from the crowd and got my food after about 45 mins. Dont think i will visit again, but the food had zero complaints.
For the same reason, I make myself present there before 0800 hrs. It is calm before the storm that brews around 0800 hrs. And if you feel that the crowd makes you uncomfortable, get the food out and have it in your car or on your bike.
Old 27th December 2020, 19:50   #3808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For the same reason, I make myself present there before 0800 hrs. It is calm before the storm that brews around 0800 hrs. And if you feel that the crowd makes you uncomfortable, get the food out and have it in your car or on your bike.
The issue is unless you stand at the counter and hound the guy, you won't get your food. The cash counter and the dosa counter is the same. This is at Seshadri Puram.
Old 27th December 2020, 23:11   #3809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Man what a crowd even during Covid times (shouldn't complain when I was part of the same crowd haha). Liked the dosa and coffee but did not like the Idly (was too grainy for my liking). Parking is a bit on the costlier side( 30rs for an hour).
It's usually a place chosen to have business /political/ real estate discussions, apart from leasurely ones, food is super-expensive and when stalls approach you, they don't reveal prices as they verbally sell their products, I found myself paying Rs.125 for a musambi juice, absolutely worthless one at that.

Airlines Hotel is below average in almost everything, the coffee was horrible in my view and food is generally on the bland and oily side. Parking charges is daylight robbery as well. In my view its a good time to raze that antiquated place down to the ground and build something fitting of its location, yes I say this despite growing up in that area and having many a dinner there as a kid. It was ok for that time, not today.

Never found a southern cuisine place that I truly liked, here, apart from A2B and Dasaprakash (not sure if they're still around). The local twist of essentially, Tamil food is weird, at best.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 01:54   #3810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
It's usually a place chosen to have business /political/ real estate discussions, apart from leasurely ones, food is super-expensive and when stalls approach you, they don't reveal prices as they verbally sell their products, I found myself paying Rs.125 for a musambi juice, absolutely worthless one at that.

Airlines Hotel is below average in almost everything, the coffee was horrible in my view and food is generally on the bland and oily side. Parking charges is daylight robbery as well. In my view its a good time to raze that antiquated place down to the ground and build something fitting of its location, yes I say this despite growing up in that area and having many a dinner there as a kid. It was ok for that time, not today.

Never found a southern cuisine place that I truly liked, here, apart from A2B and Dasaprakash (not sure if they're still around). The local twist of essentially, Tamil food is weird, at best.
Oh yes food is expensive. A coffee is around 50rs but I guess they charge based on the nostalgic factor plus as you mentioned the clientele who come over there.

A2B food is something which I dislike. I feel it to be bland as you mentioned and somehow dont like the taste and this is coming from me who is known to have the least objectionable palate. But hey taste is subjective again.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks