Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2020, 06:31   #3811
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

I'd been to Airlines Hotel in August & it was crowded back then too. This was on a weekday ~3:30pm to ~4:30pm. The crowds, although seemingly "upmarket" with their anglicised demeanour, have too many unruly & weird brats amongst them. It took me & the staff 30 mins to search the guy who'd parked his car blocking mine and it turned out he was just outside that milk/coffee booth indifferently looking at all of us struggle searching for him while eager to leave the quickly thickening crowd. Amongst the only civilised people I found there were youths (18-22 maybe) who although weren't calm or proficient in english but just came to have a little fun chat & snack - no pretentiousness whatsoever.

Airlines hotel has not just lost its charm but its gone way beyond on the other side & is a sad place for meetings. The place should be razed because it is NOT what it poses to be in all the articles about old Bangalore.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 28th December 2020 at 06:40.
GrammarNazi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 18:44   #3812
BHPian

If you have had pizza somewhere in the west, it's really hard to get a good one here. My idea of a good pizza is the one which is made by a local pizzeria, preferably by an old man who keeps it traditional. Nothing fancy, but the cheese and the crust well done.

The thing is, it's hard to find elsewhere. It is pretty much like the Chhole Bhature which are really hard to find outside the north. You can get good ones at times but always something is off if you compare to Old Delhi Chandni chowk types. Or, like the Mysore Masala Dosa, the most perfect ones you'll have maybe only in some old rustic shop on the Urs Road, nowhere else.

So in Bangalore, at least in the IT area, there are ok type pizzas like Pizza Bakery or Little Italy. Good toppings, even good cheese at times, fire ovens, but the crust is always overdone. Always hard. Also, the Pizza sauce is, well, Indianized.

But, I found a good pizza where I least expected it. It is Namma Uuru at the Big Pitcher. It's nothing exotic per se. I ask them to change the base to wheat (original is Raagi) and make it thin crust. In comes the pizza which is closest to which I have had in Europe. I absolutely savor the taste.

During this post rain balmy sunny weather (allegedly referred to as winters in the south), I go there during the afternoons, choose a sunny corner and order a pizza. Perhaps the closest experience to Bier Garten of southern Germany during summers.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th December 2020 at 22:19. Reason: Rule #11
atnyia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 19:07   #3813
Senior - BHPian

I had the same issue, but do try the thin crust pizza at Glen's Bakehouse. I like it a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
If you have had pizza somewhere in the west, it's really hard to get a good one here.
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 20:54   #3814
BHPian

Quote:
If you have had pizza somewhere in the west, it's really hard to get a good one here.
I am no expert on pizzas, but I love the thin crust pizza from Pasta Street, Indiranagar. I take one look at the pizza loaded with all the toppings it can stand and then, it magically disappears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I had the same issue, but do try the thin crust pizza at Glen's Bakehouse. I like it a lot
Thanks, I will try this next time I crave a pizza.
Old 28th December 2020, 20:55   #3815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you have had pizza somewhere in the west, it's really hard to get a good one here. My idea of a good pizza is the one which is made by a local pizzeria, preferably by an old man who keeps it traditional. Nothing fancy, but the cheese and the crust well done.
Have you tried Brik Oven Koramangla/Indiranagar. Closest to pizzas I have had abroad.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 21:46   #3816
Team-BHP Support

Toscano, Jayanagar 1st Block (Ashoka Pillar Road) are pretty decent with their thin-crust, wheat-base pizza.

I went more for the Banoffee Pie though, which has since been taken off the dessert menu. Boo!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th December 2020 at 21:47.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 22:13   #3817
BHPian

Quote:
try the thin crust pizza at Glen's Bakehouse.
Ah, Glen's Bakehouse! Good memories on that. I have been to the one of Lavelle road. These days they have dug that road up and made a mess of it.

Although I haven't tried their pizza (will try it next time), I am a fan of their cup cakes. The red velvet in particular.

For pizza, I don't know of a single place in Bangalore that I could recommend - While other toppings may mostly be alright, either the cheese is horrible or the crust is. Good cheese is not easy to come by here, it appears.

Last edited by Miyata : 28th December 2020 at 22:15.
Old 28th December 2020, 22:16   #3818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
For pizza, I don't know of a single place in Bangalore that I could recommend - While other toppings may mostly be alright, either the cheese is horrible or the crust is. Good cheese is not easy to come by here, it appears.
How about the pizzas served at 'Onesta'? Is it made of real cheese?
Old 29th December 2020, 00:01   #3819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Have you tried Brik Oven Koramangla/Indiranagar. Closest to pizzas I have had abroad.
Brik Oven is as good as it gets. Damn, now I want one.
v1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 00:10   #3820
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Long back I used to think Onesta is good. After Brik Oven, have forgotten Onesta. Too much flour in Onesta and more crust with not great cheese.

Toscano's is also pretty good but my number 1 pick is Brik Oven. Just a Margherita from Brik Oven will make you forget onesta.
Old 29th December 2020, 06:25   #3821
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Our experiences at Onesta have been quite average (at the Indiranagar outlet), definitely avoidable I would say.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 16:08   #3822
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That's the magic of Team-BHP. Almost on the cue, I ended up at Glen's today morning. Fantastic suggestion! Unfortunately, they served the pizza a little cold (waiting for us to finish the peri peri fish). That doesn't take away the goodness of the pizza. We all loved it.
It was the fish that surprised us more, excellent flavor and perfect mustard sauce. They also had some signature coffee. The texture can be described as 'Irani'. Like the Irani Chai of old Bombay, this coffee was pretty good.
The bill was 50% of what I expected, given the quality and flavor. Brik Oven is up next when I visit Koramangala.

Quote:
True story. Before these suggestions, I had given up after some underwhelming experiences. To be honest, my expectations are not super high, I just want a decent pizza. For ex, during the initial days, even Pizza Hut used to have nice Pizzas. Then Dominos came with Chowminization of pizza with strange flavoring, cheese burst and what all. My experience hit the nadir when in a Chennai Pizza Hut Express outlet, I had Biryani Pizza (my colleagues enjoyed that).
atnyia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 22:11   #3823
BHPian

Quote:
I have tried two of their branches - one in Electronic City and the other at the New BEL Rd. Not impressed! On the odd occasions that one feel like having a pizza, they can termed passable...but just barely!

I see above some good endorsement coming in for Brik Oven, Koramangala. Haven't tried that yet. Will try one of these days.

Quote:
My experience hit the nadir when in a Chennai Pizza Hut Express outlet
Pizza Hut, in my experience so far, is surely at the bottom of the barrel! Among the few I had tried, the last ones were from the Bannerghatta Rd. I don't know if they are still located that place, but I would make genuine efforts to even avoid looking towards Pizza Hut outlet when driving on the BG Rd. Never had the guts (literally!) to ever try them again!
Old 29th December 2020, 22:25   #3824
BHPian

Quote:
Pizza Hut, in my experience so far, is surely at the bottom of the barrel!
Never had the guts (literally!) to ever try them again!
Not sure if I wasn't clear on it. It was in 2015 and it wasn't optional. Some colleagues had travelled from Germany and I also travelled from Gurgaon to Chennai just for a meetup.
I am not sure which Pizza Hut we are talking of here. I am talking something in 2006. There used to be Wimpy's in CP Delhi once upon a time in late nineties. Then we had Pizza Hut with nice dine in outlets, then Dominos. Since then, these chain stuff went from bad to worse to downright horrible nowadays.
Old 30th December 2020, 08:10   #3825
BHPian

I love Pizza's at Chez Marrianick https://g.co/kgs/MZnbVP in Whitefield. Love the Margarita, 4 cheese, Pepperoni Supreme and Grilled chicken with spinach. I think they have the best Creme Brulee in Bangalore. Don't miss their Banana Toffee Cheesecake either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks