Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2022, 06:13   #3916
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
It has got to do with the owner/cook of South Indian restaurants. If they are from coastal Karnataka (eg, Udupi) they make sambhar with jaggery. In fact, most of the dishes they make are sweetish in taste. The south Karnataka and north Karnataka dishes are quite spicy.
So true! Wifey loves the sweeter version while I am bonkers about a well made sourer one. Makes for interesting debates while ordering online, as we by now know which restaurant does what.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 12:54   #3917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Both are old fmaous restaurants in Basavanagudi - Maha Lakshmi Tiffin Room and New Modern Hotel.

Vidyarthi Bhavan - more than the Dosae it's about the servers coming with 7-8 plates in a hand.

I've never come across someone saying VB dosae "tastes" good. I don't understand this "best dosae in Bengaluru" competition. This is like Best husband/wife in the world kind of statements

Same for Idly...SLV (BSK 2nd stage) vs Brahmin's coffee bar invokes heated discussions. Although I prefer the SLV version, I'd happily visit the Brahmin's coffee bar.
Thank you for the information, Hemanth. I agree taste is subjective. Me being from Chennai, found the masala dose and sambar at VB tasty enough

Will try the places mentioned next time I am in Bengaluru!!

Cheers,
Ram
Old 21st April 2022, 20:16   #3918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
I don't understand the reason of making the sambar in Karnataka sweet, it really makes the otherwise tasty idli dosa quite tasteless

Chutney both coconut and onion tomato are very tasty.
Like biriyanis, I think sambar is another dish that can trigger a lot of debate considering the wide variety of preparations for it. Within Karnataka itself, there are so many varieties of preparations- The ones I have had has been with a sweet tinge which i personally do not like. My personal preference is the Kerala-specifically Palakkad style sambar that we make at home. Plenty of ground coconut with the masala and it is something I love. But for a lot of folks it is pretty much untouchable. . Like that as you move across the length of Kerala, the flavor and consistency changes. Similarly in Tamilnadu you have another set of flavors.

Even coconut chutney, I personally do not like anything that has any ingredients other than coconut, green chilli, salt, mustard and curry leaves.

All this basically means that the best dosa, idli, sambar, chutney is the one we make at home. Nothing else really aligns to my taste.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 20:32   #3919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
So true! Wifey loves the sweeter version while I am bonkers about a well made sourer one. Makes for interesting debates while ordering online, as we by now know which restaurant does what.
Haha - it's the opposite for me and my wife. I enjoy the sweeter versions.

Long back after a nice breakfast round at one of the joints in JP Nagar, I had tweeted about how the sweet sambhar of Bangalore restaurants makes it better for idli-sambhar combos. I got royally blown over by a huge number of replies - a minority that agreed with me and the vast majority of replies telling me the TN based sambhars are the best!
Old 21st April 2022, 21:06   #3920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Haha - it's the opposite for me and my wife. I enjoy the sweeter versions...
I like the sweet version too, but I dislike the sucrose induced sweetness. So no jaggery or sugar sweetened sambar for me, it should be the sweetness of dhal and onions. That's why I like the AAB sambar (but not much else there). To each his own, I guess.
Old 21st April 2022, 22:36   #3921
Senior - BHPian

Back in those bachelor days when Swiggy and Zomato weren't yet born and therefore one had to get food parcelled by himself, but one also had to pinch the pennies, I had tried polishing off my morning idlis with just chutney so that the accompanying sambar could be used with rice in the afternoon.

It took me just 2-3 attempts to realise that the sambar can't go with anything else other than idlis. The slight tinge of sweetness wouldn't suit an afternoon meal.
dailydriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 03:20   #3922
Senior - BHPian

After many moons, I stepped out. Went to Lucky Chan in Indiranagar. It's wretched. The food is average, the boba teas are watery, and the cocktails felt like mildly sweetened dishwater. Their singular advantage is that they have Hoegaarden on tap.

Oh, and there is no sambar except Udupi sambar, and jaggery is key to sambar.
Old 23rd April 2022, 07:29   #3923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
The famed old eatery from South Bengaluru, Vidhyarthi Bhavan is coming to Malleshwaram. Tentative time frame is May first week. This news has triggered a heated discussion online as there are quite a few famous eateries in that area.
Turns out that it was all part of a well orchestrated drama - pun very much intended!

Vidyarthi Bhavan is indeed coming to Malleshwaram - but you cannot eat there, you can only partake their offering. Before the readers pounce on me, let me present the two news items I came across in Kannada dailies today.

VIJAYAVANI

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-6e7c50b445aa4928965418bc2d63ce30.jpeg

KANNADAPRABHA

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-37f1dd05d54346eab141ac96fc174d64.jpeg

The gist of the clippings being that The Story of Vidyarthi Bhavan will be presented in the form of a play at Chowdiah Memorial Hall in Malleshwaram. Tickets are priced at ₹249/- and can be booked via Bookmyshow.

PS: Aside from the fact that I have given them a couple of thousand rupees of my hard earned money over many visits spanning years, I have no affiliation with, or have commercial interests in, the eatery.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 07:53   #3924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Turns out that it was all part of a well orchestrated drama - pun very much intended!
Much ado about nothing! I feel foolish now
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 08:29   #3925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Much ado about nothing! I feel foolish now
You shouldn't.

The original rumour mongers must!

That said, the owner does say that he is exploring the possibility of opening up new branches in the future.

Whether this is indeed true, or just another trailer for a dramabaazi in another part of town, is not clear; yet.

dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 09:56   #3926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Whether this is indeed true, or just another trailer for a dramabaazi in another part of town, is not clear; yet.
Looks more like a market survey in the garb of a play showcasing their history. Innovative marketing
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:07   #3927
BHPian

After all the buzz around Vidyarthi Bhavan coming to an end with todays news, one fallout is that it has rekindled the craving for masala dosas at CTR. Social media influencing can work this way or the other way!

We are planning to do a cross-bangalore trip tomorrow morning just to try out CTR.
Being a weekend and people like us curious to try out CTR, so asking CTR veterans here, any strategic location to safely park the car even if it means walking some distance?
Any other tips to make the best use of CTR ?
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:17   #3928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Any other tips to make the best use of CTR ?
Make sure you are there by 7 am latest. Else you will be standing in line for about an hour.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:18   #3929
BHPian

Quote:
Any strategic location to safely park the car even if it means walking some distance?
Sampige road is closed for white topping.

I usually search and park somewhere on the inner roads starting from the 4th main onwards (and close to 9th cross) and then walk down towards 8th cross / Margosa / Sampige roads.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 23rd April 2022 at 10:21.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:29   #3930
BHPian

Quote:

We are planning to do a cross-bangalore trip tomorrow morning just to try out CTR.
... even if it means walking some distance?
Take the Metro to Mantri Square and walk it up. Though I would make sure I could walk back
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks