Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2013, 13:07   #2836
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Would recommend infinitea on Cunningham road for some italian food . The garlic bread was yum! The pizza was so-so but the white pasta was the show stealer. Really good!
Old 7th July 2013, 16:05   #2837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I have been living in Koramangala for a long time and I have been to all the following restaurants, [*]Ponnuswamy (family likes the chettinad cuisine, but where did it go?)
Looking at some of the posts here, I am not sure if I have been having pedestrian stuff in Koramangala. So, what am I missing
There is a new chettinad place - junior ponnaiya. It's quite popular in Coimbatore and Erode. Located opposite China Pearl. Clean fast and vfm. Like their egg dosas and "parottas" as we call them.

Thanks for the list though.. Quite a few of them to check out !
Old 7th July 2013, 23:08   #2838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
There is a new chettinad place - junior ponnaiya. !
It is Junior Kuppana i think you got the name wrong .
Old 7th July 2013, 23:59   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post

It is Junior Kuppana i think you got the name wrong .
Yep. My bad ! Thanks. Also I think Anjappar the other chettinad place was also missing from the list.. They have a branch opened on 100 ft road Indiranagar recently.
Old 8th July 2013, 08:36   #2840
BHPian

Folks, any other ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
You seem to have missed out Anupams Coast II Coast, near Koramangala Club. The Chicken Ghee Roast is not to be missed there, but beware, the calories in there are not for the faint hearted.

Right down that same road is a Bengali cuisine eatery called Bhojohori Manna. Excellent food, if you like regional cuisine. Reasonable too. Try the Natun Gurer Ice Cream, its brilliant.

As regards biryani, since you seem to tend towards meduim spicy stuff you can give Hyderabad House a try. This is not in Koramangala but in Victoria Layout, opp Lifestyle on Richmond Road. Decent stuff, not too spicy.
Thanks, will try out Coast II Coast and Bhojohori Manna. Hyderabad House is very familiar though its been many years since I went there. Will try and go sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
There is a new chettinad place - junior ponnaiya. It's quite popular in Coimbatore and Erode. Located opposite China Pearl. Clean fast and vfm. Like their egg dosas and "parottas" as we call them.

Thanks for the list though.. Quite a few of them to check out !
Didn't know about this. Will definitely check it out!

Last edited by nowwhat? : 8th July 2013 at 08:38.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:56   #2841
BHPian

Timescity gourmet week is on from 15th to 21st July in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore. Concept is similar to Restaurant Week India. Have a look here for details.

Went ahead and booked, Jolly Nabobs (Windsor Manor). Any other recommendations?
Old 9th July 2013, 22:50   #2842
BHPian

Will be in Bangalore this weekend on a purely gastronomic trip. Need your recommendations on good places for these:

Sunday brunch - Italian and Mediterranean fare; preferably sans alcohol (we don't want to pay for spirits we don't drink)

High tea

Afghan food

Besides these Barbeque Nation is a mandatory stop when I'm in Bangalore
Old 10th July 2013, 11:23   #2843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, any other ideas?

@nowwhat : not sure if you are looking only for Chettinad cuisine. if not, then

Sanjeevanam in Koramangala, near FabIndia. Kerala cuisine

Suggi - JP Nagar Delmia Circle. Mangalore / North Karnataka cuisine.

If you are ok with "Kerala Mess'" type food, then Kairali near Christ College. in the same lane as Little Italy.

Delhi Chaatwala - also on JP nagar 100ft road further down from Delmia. near the underpass

Great Indian thali. near sony world junction.
Old 10th July 2013, 12:16   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Will be in Bangalore this weekend on a purely gastronomic trip. Need your recommendations on good places for these:

Sunday brunch - Italian and Mediterranean fare; preferably sans alcohol (we don't want to pay for spirits we don't drink)

High tea

Afghan food

Besides these Barbeque Nation is a mandatory stop when I'm in Bangalore
Sunday Brunch (Euro/Med) - Check these out:

http://www.zomato.com/bangalore/oliv...nts#e100005631

http://www.zomato.com/bangalore/cape...nts#e200030112

Afghan Cuisine - Royal Afghan @ ITC Windsor, Samarkhand, Khansama
Old 10th July 2013, 12:44   #2845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
@nowwhat :

If you are ok with "Kerala Mess'" type food, then Kairali near Christ College. in the same lane as Little Italy.
Kairali near Christ college is closed at the moment. They have a board on which says they are open at Madiwala. I'm not sure if they are permanently closed or renovating.
Old 10th July 2013, 13:19   #2846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
Kairali near Christ college is closed at the moment. They have a board on which says they are open at Madiwala. I'm not sure if they are permanently closed or renovating.
Have heard of the Madiwala Kairali many times before, but where exactly is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
@nowwhat : not sure if you are looking only for Chettinad cuisine. if not, then

Sanjeevanam in Koramangala, near FabIndia. Kerala cuisine

Suggi - JP Nagar Delmia Circle. Mangalore / North Karnataka cuisine.

Delhi Chaatwala - also on JP nagar 100ft road further down from Delmia. near the underpass

Great Indian thali. near sony world junction.
No problems with cuisine Kerala Mess food is usually my fallback in case my maid doesn't show up.

I have heard of Sanjeevanam many times in this thread. Never tried the place, will definitely go there soon. What should I try there, the usual idli, puttu, etc or meals? Also I think there is a Kerala Ayurveda massage associated with it. Any idea of the rates and service there?

The others look intriguing, will give them a go when time permits. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 10th July 2013, 13:31   #2847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have heard of Sanjeevanam many times in this thread. Never tried the place, will definitely go there soon. What should I try there, the usual idli, puttu, etc or meals? Also I think there is a Kerala Ayurveda massage associated with it. Any idea of the rates and service there?
Do not want to be a dampener,but couldnt help staying away from sharing my comments on Sanjeevanam.I think its high time they shut shop and got into something better(maybe concentrate on just the ayurveda massage marketing)The restaurant in my humble opinion(and a very personal one too)is just pure waste of time.Dishes served without salt and spice and coconut just grated raw and served in the dishes and then claiming that it is the ayurveda way of eating is just a gimmick.For me and everyone with me(we were around 8 people-keralites and non keralites)the decision was unanimous-completely avoid.Service was pathetic,the tables were uncleaned and severe staff shortage.I wouldnt reccomend the place to anybody.If its tasteless food at exorbitant rates Sanjeevanam is the place to go to.From the looks of it,looks like it is the regular story there and our experience definitely wasnt one off.

PS:I like the manager/captain whoever that is going to tables and painstakingly explaining/convincing the guests that this is how ayurvedic and healthy food tastes.
Old 10th July 2013, 13:34   #2848
BHPian

Quote:
Have heard of the Madiwala Kairali many times before, but where exactly is it?
When you come from Silk Board side, after Ayyappa temple there is Citibank ATM on the left side (Pvt bus operators area). After this, take first left which will take you to Maruthi Nagar. Its on RHS towards the end of the road
Old 10th July 2013, 19:04   #2849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Do not want to be a dampener,but couldnt help staying away from sharing my comments on Sanjeevanam.I think its high time they shut shop and got into something better(maybe concentrate on just the ayurveda massage marketing)The restaurant in my humble opinion(and a very personal one too)is just pure waste of time.Dishes served without salt and spice and coconut just grated raw and served in the dishes and then claiming that it is the ayurveda way of eating is just a gimmick.For me and everyone with me(we were around 8 people-keralites and non keralites)the decision was unanimous-completely avoid.Service was pathetic,the tables were uncleaned and severe staff shortage.I wouldnt reccomend the place to anybody.If its tasteless food at exorbitant rates Sanjeevanam is the place to go to.From the looks of it,looks like it is the regular story there and our experience definitely wasnt one off.

PS:I like the manager/captain whoever that is going to tables and painstakingly explaining/convincing the guests that this is how ayurvedic and healthy food tastes.
Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
When you come from Silk Board side, after Ayyappa temple there is Citibank ATM on the left side (Pvt bus operators area). After this, take first left which will take you to Maruthi Nagar. Its on RHS towards the end of the road
Got it! Many have told me about Kairali over the past few years, but they always said Madiwala and I looked but never found it on the main road. Now I understand why.
Old 10th July 2013, 19:42   #2850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They always said Madiwala and I looked but never found it on the main road. Now I understand why.
- I think there was another Kairali restaurant on Main road. Remember having lunch there (~8 years back)

- Used to be an occasional visitor at Kairali (Nr Christ College) which is closed now. They left a note that they have moved to Madiwala.

- Kairali at Maruti nagar 1st Main - is horrible, saw couple of guys I used to see at Christ College Kairali there. But food was horrible, avoid!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks