Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2023, 09:52   #4171
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Went to Green Theory off Residency Road last evening.

Friends found the food Ok. I found the ice lime tea Ok. Service was mostly good. Ambiance was very basic. They keep incense sticks near tables & the smoke was irritating. Music was crap, they were playing English pop sung by random singers. 2 chairs were breaking - almost at point off collapse. No big deal.

Narrow road so car parking was a headache by 7:30pm itself. No valet service. Over phone they said there'll be corporate discount at the time of booking, but refused to offer any after billing. Prices are ₹₹₹. Anyway, what to do, we wanted an "All Veg" place, so this was chosen! Place closes by 10pm, but we felt like leaving by 9:30pm itself.

For me, the company of my friends matters most. Also people shouldn't fall sick the next day. Maybe Konark at Kanteerva would suffice next time. Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
...Prices:
Sri Venkateshwara Sweetmeat Stall: Rs.1400/ kg (Zomato Delivery)
Nandini: Rs.440/ kg (from the shop in HSR)
Anand: Rs. 800/ kg (Zomato Delivery)

Question: Is the stuff from Sri Venkateshwara Sweetmeat Stall worth the premium?
There'll always be people who fancy to call something as "best" irrespective of price. This can often be hysteria. Many businesses cash-in on this hysteria by raising prices astronomically & still have customers who desparately want to believe the hysteria, perhaps out of FOMO. No guarantee they're actually "the best".

There's no right or wrong. At most, maybe we can say there's "best" & there's "objectively best for the price & availability". Choose wisely.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 9th April 2023 at 09:55.
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 13:09   #4172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question to Bengalureans:Is the stuff from Sri Venkateshwara Sweetmeat Stall worth the premium?
If you are around JP nagar and with CASH in your pocket, do check out Gayatri Sweets in East end. This is in front of Amarawati hotel at the signal of IRR and East end road. Their Special Mysuru Pak is very good and so are other sweets. Parking is a bit of hassle if you are in a 4W.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 16:37   #4173
Team-BHP Support

Nothing still beats Kamat Lokaruchi @ Ramanagara for a breakfast drive this side of town, for me.

The new expressway means both the eatery and the old highway see far less traffic, just what you want on a Sunday morning. The crowd does build up by lunch time.

A good meal + great filter coffee, a leisurely drive up to Mysore (using old and new roads in parts), turn around at Mysore ORR signal and back home with an ice tea stop at Rasta (again, low crowd before noon).

Sunday morning well-spent.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th April 2023 at 16:43.
Old 9th April 2023, 16:50   #4174
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Question to Bengalureans:
Asked a friend about best Mysore Pak and she told that Sri Venkateshwara Sweetmeat Stall at JP Nagar is the OG and best in town
The real/old venkateshwara sweets has only 2 outlets - the oldest one at Balepet and another in Malleswaram.

For us, only 2 brands cut it when it comes to Mysore Pak - Venkateshwara and Sri Krishna Sweets (again look only for their original branches, they're originally from Coimbatore and because of the GI Tag for the sweet their version is called Mysurpa)

Sri Krishna has outlets in Malleswaram (opposite CTR), Indiranagar that I'm aware of, but looking up their website I find Koramangala, JP Nagar and Basavangudi too.
https://www.srikrishnasweets.net/sto....php#Karnataka

BTW, the taste and texture of this sweet made by Venkateshwara and Sri Krishna are different but very good in their own way, don't know how else to describe it

Edit:my earlier post from Sep 2022 on the same topic of Mysore Pak here (A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore)

Last edited by NPV : 9th April 2023 at 16:59.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 18:02   #4175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

For us, only 2 brands cut it when it comes to Mysore Pak - Venkateshwara and Sri Krishna Sweets...
I liked the Special Mysore Pak at Mahalakshmi Sweets. Rich and flavorful, without feeling heavy or overly sweet.

Apparently Mysore-based, estd. 1991.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 18:41   #4176
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I liked the Special Mysore Pak at Mahalakshmi Sweets. Rich and flavorful, without feeling heavy or overly sweet.

Apparently Mysore-based, estd. 1991.
I've tried this, wasn't impressed though and.....even the Mysore Pak from Guru sweets Mysore (who apparently are credited? with inventing/preparing this for the Mysore maharaja) didn't live up to its name.
Old 9th April 2023, 19:10   #4177
BHPian

Quote:
The real/old venkateshwara sweets has only 2 outlets - the oldest one at Balepet and another in Malleswaram.

For us, only 2 brands cut it when it comes to Mysore Pak - Venkateshwara and Sri Krishna Sweets (again look only for their original branches, they're originally from Coimbatore and because of the GI Tag for the sweet their version is called Mysurpa)
]
Do try out Mysore Pak at Gundappa Sweets at Basaveshwara Nagar 8th main (just opposite the earlier famed Pavithra Paradise), I have liked their Mysore Pak for long and whenever I go that way, I make sure to carry a kg.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 19:53   #4178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But looking up their website I find Koramangala, JP Nagar and Basavangudi too.
https://www.srikrishnasweets.net/sto....php#Karnataka
The Basavanagudi outlet of Sri Krishna Sweets is bang in the middle of DVG road. The shop is located at the intersection of road from Police station and DVG road. But they run out of stocks fairly quick by evening. That is when I discovered Gayatri sweets which I have quoted earlier.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 23:55   #4179
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Question to Bengalureans:
Asked a friend about best Mysore Pak and she told that Sri Venkateshwara Sweetmeat Stall at JP Nagar is the OG and best in town.

Prices:
Sri Venkateshwara Sweetmeat Stall: Rs.1400/ kg (Zomato Delivery)
Nandini: Rs.440/ kg (from the shop in HSR)
Anand: Rs. 800/ kg (Zomato Delivery)

Question: Is the stuff from Sri Venkateshwara Sweetmeat Stall worth the premium?
I stay 200 mts from their factory. My straight forward and simple answer is 'NO'. It is simply a case of bubble theory. Certain section of people live in their own bubbles. Few in social media bubbles, few in youtube bubble what not. Their acceptance of certain things are relative to what they see and hear. Just because some influencer made a video, they go and stand in queue for hours to eat a plate of idli sambar somewhere, or spend 2 hours waiting for a place of donne biryani parcel(which is no longer packed in donne, but in silver plastic bag now).

This venkateshwara sweets factory has a small eatery setup aswell. I had purchased sweets in KGs several times from their factory outlet (mind you zero discount at factory outlet aswell). Their mysore pak is also 1000/- per kg. It is similar to Gayatri sweets in color and texture, which is close to orange in color. While waiting for them to pack some sweets, I got tempted and asked for a single piece of 'Badhushah' sweet. Once I saw the line item in the bill for that single piece, i understood how much more we are paying for sweets. 1 piece of badushah was 32 rs. I was dumbstruck.

I have stayed 12 years in a village where every year they set up fair.and same sweet shop used to setup their stall in front of my house. They used to stay for more than a month and were very friendly. We let them use our veranda to make mysore pak moulds as they needed space with no dust. Mysore pak is a very simple dish. Just gram flour, sugar and ghee. Trick is in the technique, proportions and timing.

Just till few months back, Gayatri sweets were selling at 600/- per kg. Now their rates are 1000/- per kg. Thanks to you tube reviews and food bloggers.

If you really want to savor the real mysore pak, go to mysore. Old Hotels around jaganmohan palace still serve in old style. Scoop of hot mysore pak, put in a bowl and served. Not in any shape.

Just today my friend got home mysore pak from Gayatri store. Attached pic. It was ok. Felt they should have fried the gram flour a little more.

Nandini mysore pak is decent for what it offers for the price. Just heat it for 10 secs on microwave or put it in a small cup and place that cup in a bowl with water and cover the bowl. Now heat the bowl till it steams and melts the ghee in mysore pak. You will enjoy the mysore pak better this way.

Saying all this because I'm from mysore and we make this sweet at home and feel it is over hyped by food bloggers.

Between, if you are into 'Badushah', there is a sweet stall called 'sri parimala sweets' in jayanagar 4th block. It is in the gully road opposite jain temple. You get really nice ones there.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-20230409_232212.jpg  

HTC is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 10:26   #4180
Senior - BHPian

I had come to Jayanagar for some work and since the shop was not yet open came over to Maiyas for a coffee. Presenting to you an overpriced watery coffee one can ever have. Felt I was cheated after paying 30 rs!
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img_4952.jpeg  

TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 10:33   #4181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I had come to Jayanagar for some work and since the shop was not yet open came over to Maiyas for a coffee. Presenting to you an overpriced watery coffee one can ever have. Felt I was cheated after paying 30 rs!
I was never a fan of their coffee even when it was a rage once upon a time. All these filter coffee joints serve robusta with a decent amount of chicory to give that thickness and flavour which I never liked. Now I believe Maiyyas is run like any other darshini with the name stamped on the items.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 12:07   #4182
BANNED

Quote:
So many posts about Mysuru Pak, I used to love eating Krishna sweets, Asha Sweets, Mahalakshmi sweets offering of this delicacy but then I had a tasting of it at local sweet shop called "Ganesh Darshan Sweet" on Ramanjenya street, Hanumanth Nagara. My daughter loves that so much, if you go around noon, it is freshly made and very hot, it just melts in your mouth.
I also love eating Badam puri, Badushah and samosa from that shop. Do visit it once and you will thank me later.
Old 11th April 2023, 21:22   #4183

Sri Venkateshwara Sweetmeat Stall in Balepet and Sampige road claim that they are the original ones and they have sued other name sakes. Another great place is Chikkaveeranna Sweets in Vijayapura Town. Both these places serve amazing mysore paks. Especially when they are fresh and hot, they are absolutely irresistable.
MysticMind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 10:33   #4184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
So many posts about Mysuru Pak, I used to love eating Krishna sweets, Asha Sweets, Mahalakshmi sweets offering of this delicacy but then I had a tasting of it at local sweet shop called "Ganesh Darshan Sweet" on Ramanjenya street, Hanumanth Nagara. My daughter loves that so much, if you go around noon, it is freshly made and very hot, it just melts in your mouth.
I also love eating Badam puri, Badushah and samosa from that shop. Do visit it once and you will thank me later.
There are two locations that show up on GMaps

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sh...g%2F11f15kbzws

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ga...g%2F11hsrcjpzj

Are both branches?
Old 12th April 2023, 11:28   #4185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
The cup in which the coffee is served is probably an indication of their service/quality levels!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks