Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2021, 07:34   #1966
BHPian

Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Does anyone have a proven method or workaround by which I can work on my IT return on multiple computers, with the new software? Previously I just had to save the draft on a network drive (I used Dropbox) and I had access to my WIP return on any computer I logged in. The new software doesn't seem to have this flexibility.

One can always work on the ITR online at the eFiling site, and download the .json file. Further work can be resumed on reading in this .json for the next session. Will that not serve your purpose?

I stopped using any offline utility from last year (albeit with the old software). In my experience they have always been unreliable, buggy, and a persistent headache, apt to being updated till the last minute to fix issues! Very unprofessionally done! The IT department obviously can't afford such luxury with the online version (ignoring the 2021 new software fiasco). So I've moved on to the online version. I don't see any downside.
meerkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:01   #1967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
One can always work on the ITR online at the eFiling site, and download the .json file. Further work can be resumed on reading in this .json for the next session. Will that not serve your purpose?
I have already done substantial work on the ITD-eFiling software. Can't find a way to export JSON from it.

Quote:
So I've moved on to the online version. I don't see any downside.
Unfortunately need the ability to work on the ITR even when disconnected from the Internet. And now that the date is more or less here the pressuring is building up.
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:31   #1968
BHPian

Have a query. With the 26AS going away and we will have the Annual Information Statement (AIS) and Taxpayer Information Summary (TIS). Now I use the 26AS to see the monthly credit of interest in certain instruments I am invested in. But with the AIS / TIS I only see option of FY 2020-2021 but I want to see information of 2021-2022.
Any idea if that is visible somehow somewhere else? Or need to wait for it to be enabled for current year?
Old 23rd November 2021, 13:30   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
I have already done substantial work on the ITD-eFiling software. Can't find a way to export JSON from it.

I take it that you are talking about the offline utility. That just proves my point that the CBDT is not (nor has it ever been, in my experience) serious about providing useful offline utilities in a timely manner! How much more attention or effort would it have taken to publish an utility that is equivalent in all respects to the corresponding online one?! One just can't miss the large json download button online, while the offline version doesn't seem to provide an easy way!
Old 23rd November 2021, 14:23   #1970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I take it that you are talking about the offline utility. That just proves my point that the CBDT is not (nor has it ever been, in my experience) serious about providing useful offline utilities in a timely manner!
Yes, but in previous years the offline utilities were just fine.

Earlier on, it was Excel file that I could just transfer from one computer to another via a thumb drive or cloud storage or simply by attaching it to an email.

Then the Java utility came. It had a "Save Draft" option which would save the partial work as an XML file. I could transfer this XML file to a different computer by any convenient means and open it there.

Now we have the Enterprise Software from Infosys. It creates an entire folder structure inside my AppData/Roaming. There is nothing familiar there - only files with names like f_01fde3 etc. (200+ files adding up to 180 MB). I tried copying the whole folder to my other computer but the Infosys installation there didn't recognise it at all.

Now I'm stuck. I have completed about 60-70% of my ITR work, but I have to travel for work from later this week (so I will be carrying my work laptop and not my personal one). I thought I could continue working on my ITR while traveling but that convenience simply wasn't planned by the PHBs at Infosys.

Either I finish the ITR in the next 24 hours or so, or do a mad scramble towards the last week of this month - seems like these are the only two options available to me.
Old 23rd November 2021, 15:10   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Now we have the Enterprise Software from Infosys. It creates an entire folder structure inside my AppData/Roaming. There is nothing familiar there - only files with names like f_01fde3 etc. (200+ files adding up to 180 MB). I tried copying the whole folder to my other computer but the Infosys installation there didn't recognise it at all.
I assume you have already installed the ITDEfiling app and have checked that the data liked to your PAN does not roam (under the drafts option in the app).
Can you try copying over only the files named data_* in the %APPDATA%\ITDe-Filing\Cache folder of your target machine?
Old 24th November 2021, 12:15   #1972
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but in previous years the offline utilities were just fine.

Earlier on, it was Excel file that I could just transfer from one computer to another via a thumb drive or cloud storage or simply by attaching it to an email.

Then the Java utility came. It had a "Save Draft" option which would save the partial work as an XML file. I could transfer this XML file to a different computer by any convenient means and open it there.

Well, I wasn't talking about the ability to save a draft and the portability of unfinished work to any computer. Rather, I was talking about the functionality of the offline utilities published willy nilly by CBDT in half-baked status, every year since e-Filing was enabled!

Proof? How come the offline utilities kept being updated every few weeks since the first release till the last moment? I like to file early, but I was NEVER able to file with the first released version, ever! There have always been bugs of some kind or other (e.g. the utility not seeing entered values in some section(s), hence calculating wrong, -- or sometimes even throwing spurious error messages)! Then it would be fixed in the next release, -- only for some other problem(s) to crop up! Even when everything looked fine for me, the utility had already been updated to some newer version by the time I tried to file (presumably because some other bugs were found that didn't directly affect me), so I had to port my data to the latest version, and go through the flow all over again before filing!

Yes, I was ultimately able to file with some offline version every year till 2019 , albeit sometimes with the 4th or 5th updated version (once even the 8th), -- weeks or even months after I was ready to file!

My experience of last year (when I finally decided to move online) was reported here in this thread itself.

It beats me why even with the better part of a year's lead time (since the effective rules were frozen), -- sometimes even without any substantial changes over the previous years' rules, the released first version itself couldn't be bug free when the corresponding online utility apparently could!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th November 2021 at 13:07. Reason: hyperlink
Old 4th December 2021, 21:33   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post

PMVVY: TDS is not done. But the interest is added to the income and taxed at the slab rate. Not eligible for 80C rebate. Standard deduction can be claimed (if the annuity was purchased due to being formerly employed).
By the same logic can Standard deduction be claimed in case of the annuity payments received from a Superannuation scheme where the contributions to the scheme were made while being employed?
Old 6th December 2021, 12:02   #1974
BHPian

I filed my ITR 2, paid additional taxes due and e-verified on October 27. But it seems its still not processed by the department. The status on the portal shows Under processing but hasn't changed since November 2.

Is anyone also seeing this ? How long does it take to process it ? I am not expecting any refunds (as mentioned above,have paid taxes due).
Old 6th December 2021, 13:13   #1975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post

Is anyone also seeing this ? How long does it take to process it ? I am not expecting any refunds (as mentioned above,have paid taxes due).
It's same scenario in my case too. I filed my ITR2 on October 15th (paid additional taxes due and e-verified) and for my wife also.
The status on the portal shows under processing on 17th on-wards.
kavu75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 21:52   #1976
BHPian

I am wondering, while there is a deadline for taxpayers to pay taxes and file returns, beyond which there are punitive consequences, does the ITD not have standard processing timelines? I mean there are some of us who face inordinate delays for filings to be processed and refunds given.
Wonder how this is done in the western world
Old 7th December 2021, 03:53   #1977
Senior - BHPian

I had filed my ITR way back in June / July on the new portal. I got the SMS in October that the return had been processed. However I did not receive the refund. Today I was checking my accounts and I noticed that the refund has been credited on 1st Dec. The funny part is that it was credited into another account that I have and not the primary account listed.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 17:08   #1978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
It's same scenario in my case too. I filed my ITR2 on October 15th (paid additional taxes due and e-verified) and for my wife also.
Its bit concerning as I am not sure if it is stuck due to any glitch or being scrutinized, nothing to hide so not so much bothered but I am not a fan of this overall process hence want to see this done and dusted asap. This time got it done by cleartax , but instead of giving them the credentials asked them to send JSON which I submitted myself. Hope that is not causing any delays.
Old 8th December 2021, 21:50   #1979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Should be done within 2months, may be the number of filings have increased in the last month or two. I had filed my ITR2 on 26-Sep and it was processed by 02-Nov.
Old 9th December 2021, 13:32   #1980
BHPian

I have a few SIPs and last year my portfolio manager sold them and bought them again cos he moved from his solo practice to a registered company. I didn't know that until I saw the AIS statement. I have already filed my IT returns, but had failed to include them in the return.

Now, I thought I'd file a revised return, but calculating capital gains seems so complex. First of all, how do I determine the purchase price? Cos SIPs are bought monthly. And some of them fall under long term and some under short term. The AIS statement also shows the purchases made. Can I claim an exemption similar to property sales where you can claim exemption if you used the proceeds to buy another property?

Or since I have already filed, should I wait for a demand from IT department? It would be easy for me if they compute and send a demand letter and I can just pay the amount + fine and get away with not doing the complex math.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks