Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 11:49   #721
Senior - BHPian

can a qualis really go off roading with that puny tyres and 74 bhp engine, even if offered with 4WD?
yes, i agree scorpios sell well but shouldnt mahindra offer its customers all possible variations? right now, if 4WD is available, thats with DX. if mHawk is what you want, not available in LX, DX and SLE! that is not good. the mHawk engine is more expensive than the CRDe unit, but i think they should offer both engines in all variants. people will definetely pay a small premium for an advanced engine. and also 4WD...
Old 25th November 2008, 12:54   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai Scorp Lovers,
Got some pictures of the truck that's not in my MAHALOGUE I posted about MP travels ..... thought I'd share that.
--Ramky
Hi ramky, great pictures again.
Old 25th November 2008, 13:06   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
But then, Toyota also (many years ago) reneged on their promise for a 4WD Qualis; didn't hurt them!
I don't think you could categorize the Qualis 4WD concept with a Scorpio 4WD under any circumstances Anup!

Besides the segments were completely different (as in Call center usage vs Urban householder).
Old 25th November 2008, 13:07   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
can a qualis really go off roading with that puny tyres and 74 bhp engine, even if offered with 4WD?
Absolutely, Raj! With 4WD and Low Ratio, the Qualis would be an eminently capable off-roader! GC would remain a bit of a concern though.

Don't forget that the MG410 set the bar with a 45 bhp engine! That was a 1 ton vehicle in hardtop avatar. The Qualis is about 1600 kgs., so 74 bhp would do OK, and that too as a diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I don't think you could categorize the Qualis 4WD concept with a Scorpio 4WD under any circumstances Anup!
That was said in a different context, Suman. The discussion was about a maker not willing to cater to niche demands.

Last edited by anupmathur : 25th November 2008 at 13:11.
Old 25th November 2008, 15:06   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Absolutely, Raj! With 4WD and Low Ratio, the Qualis would be an eminently capable off-roader! GC would remain a bit of a concern though.

Don't forget that the MG410 set the bar with a 45 bhp engine! That was a 1 ton vehicle in hardtop avatar. The Qualis is about 1600 kgs., so 74 bhp would do OK, and that too as a diesel!

infact even i have done quite a bit of mud plugging in a 2WD qualis base model (with no PS and AC) running on stock tyres. yes, the vehcile did scrape quite a bit as you said.
anyways, hope M&M comes up with 4x4 in the scorpio pretty soon. potential customers could be turned off by this attitude and could move away to other brands. i know its selling well but more the merrier right?
Old 25th November 2008, 15:15   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i know its selling well but more the merrier right?
Raj, I'm not a fan boy, but the kind of attitude these companies are showing never pays in the long run! If Tata give me what I'm looking for, I'll switch double fast .....
Problem is, do they care at all about the long run?!!
Old 25th November 2008, 15:24   #727
Senior - BHPian

i completely agree to that buddy. i am a mahindra fan because their car, in particular, the scorpio gives me all that i am looking for in my car. tomorrow, if i find a better vehicle by another manufacturer, i'll buy that. and i think everybody will.
so thats the reason, mahindra should stop this kind of attitude.
Old 25th November 2008, 15:41   #728
Team-BHP Support

I wonder if Mahindra realizes that they sold one less mHawk this year because of lack of 4x4 in mHawk Avatar
Ignoring niche demands can appear as sensible in the short run, but in the long run niche demands can have the effect of snowballing into a major revenue generator
Old 25th November 2008, 15:56   #729
BHPian

How good (read reliable) was Scorpio's 4x4?
Mr. Anup Mathur owns a 4x4 if I am recollecting it right.

Cheers!!!
Old 25th November 2008, 16:55   #730
Senior - BHPian

@ tsk1979: very true buddy. and i think you are talking about yourself! infact, when we bought the CRDe, we were told that the 4x4 wont be available in SLX trim. since, it was more for city use, we dint insist on 4x4 and went for the toppest variant then. but how i wish the mHawk had a 4x4... :-(

@ deepgautam: was????? mahindra still makes them deep!
yes, anup owns a 4x4 scorpio. and i think his is the only 4x4 scorpio on this forum, atleast among those who participated in this thread, lucky chap!
Old 25th November 2008, 17:27   #731
BHPian

Quote:
@ deepgautam: was????? mahindra still makes them deep!
yes, anup owns a 4x4 scorpio. and i think his is the only 4x4 scorpio on this forum, atleast among those who participated in this thread, lucky chap!
So is it still possible to buy a brand new 4x4 Scorpio?
I was under the impression that M&M are no more giving build to order option for 4x4 Scorpio.

Cheers!!!
Old 25th November 2008, 18:21   #732
Senior - BHPian

I have a 4x4 Scorp too. If I'm not mistaken, roshun has one too. Very rare species, but it's an awesome beast. I still haven't had the chance to do any serious off-roading with my truck, but am planning to take it out this weekend maybe.
An added advantage to the 4x4 is the added weight of the drivetrain makes the truck much less "bouncy", which is something I didn't like while driving the 2wd Scorps. The 4x4 handles nicely and is much more stable.

From what a Mahindra salesman told me recently, they do still sell the Scorp 4x4 these days, but only on special order. I was told the waiting period is about 3 months. And this applies only to the CRDE, not the MHawk.
Old 25th November 2008, 18:46   #733
Senior - BHPian

so that makes it 3 4x4 scorpios on this forum- anup, razor and roshun.
anup and roshun having CRDe DX and razor having turbo GLX.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 25th November 2008 at 18:51.
Old 25th November 2008, 20:16   #734
BHPian

I waited for a month for my 4wd CRDe in April 2006. Booked it on March 31 and took delivery on April 30th.

M&M exports plenty more 4x4 Scorps than it sells domestically. One reason, I think, they may be a bit reluctant with domestic 4x4 sales, is that the average person does not know much about 4x4 and when to use it. (Some people have even asked me, oh, you have 4x4, then you can go faster!)

Net result, if they switch into 4x4 mode on normal tarmac, they will wreck the drivetrain in just a few kilometers, and then try to claim warranty on it, causing M&M endless headaches (One reason I don't let my driver or anyone else drive the Scorpio).

I wonder how Tata manages? TSK1979, any light on that - on ease of availability and is there anything in the manual that specifically excludes 4x4 use from the warranty or something?
Old 25th November 2008, 20:31   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
I have a 4x4 Scorp too. If I'm not mistaken, roshun has one too. Very rare species, but it's an awesome beast. I still haven't had the chance to do any serious off-roading with my truck, but am planning to take it out this weekend maybe.
An added advantage to the 4x4 is the added weight of the drivetrain makes the truck much less "bouncy", which is something I didn't like while driving the 2wd Scorps. The 4x4 handles nicely and is much more stable.
Razor, I agree with you. There is a certain stiffness about the front suspension which helps in taking corners much more confidently, with less body roll. There is also not that much "dive" on braking.

Your Scorp looks really mean with those spider-like lights up front.

Cheers,
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks