Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 09:50   #871
SYJ
BHPian

what is the ride difference between the 2.6 crde slx version and the mhawk. is there any change in the suspension.?is the mhawk more stable than slx at higher speeds..??
Old 12th December 2008, 10:00   #872
Senior - BHPian

VLX is a lot better than Crde SLX. It behaves 70% more like an SUV than being a 'glorified Jeep'.
The further fine tuning of Lotus Suspensions can be easily percieved both in city and in highway driving conditions. The body roll & pitch(the eternal problem of Scorpio) is differentially LESS in mHawk!!
Old 12th December 2008, 10:03   #873
SYJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
VLX is a lot better than Crde SLX. It behaves 70% more like an SUV than being a 'glorified Jeep'.
The further fine tuning of Lotus Suspensions can be easily percieved both in city and in highway driving conditions. The body roll & pitch(the eternal problem of Scorpio) is differentially LESS in mHawk!!

and what about its performance..??i mean is it much powerful than a slx.?? i havent driven a mhawk so dont know of it.
Old 12th December 2008, 10:18   #874
Senior - BHPian

The engine is lighter, sportier and powerful. The vehicle touches 120-130kmph with ease and has more juice left to pitch upwards the needle bar. I get 11kmpl in city with A/C and 14 on highway. So, no complaints. the mileage is up by 1 or 1.5kmpl in comparision with Crde SLX.

BHP wise mHawk is only 5 bhp more than the earlier engine. But the light weight coupled with some effective fine tuning everywhere has helped this beast to be more a drivers delight now!!
The handling is a lot easier and steering response too is a notch better than the earlier versions.
Braking is a delight as the vehicle stops dead in a straight line at 120kmph when braked hard(ABS works here!!). I did this 4 times on the TD mHawk and was feeling great.
mHawk is more in control on taking turnings on the highways than the earlier models. I never used to go beyond 60-70kmph on turnings on my CRDE. mHawk the car is in control and does not give you a feeling of 'rear off' the mark at 80+ speeds.(any SUV as you are aware is not designed to take high speed cornering)

Hope this helps! Others will pitch in too with thier observations!!

Last edited by getsurya : 12th December 2008 at 10:20.
Old 12th December 2008, 10:42   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The engine is lighter, sportier and powerful. The vehicle touches 120-130kmph with ease and has more juice left to pitch upwards the needle bar. I get 11kmpl in city with A/C and 14 on highway. So, no complaints. the mileage is up by 1 or 1.5kmpl in comparision with Crde SLX.

mHawk is more in control on taking turnings on the highways than the earlier models. I never used to go beyond 60-70kmph on turnings on my CRDE. mHawk the car is in control and does not give you a feeling of 'rear off' the mark at 80+ speeds.(any SUV as you are aware is not designed to take high speed cornering)

Surya,

For me the mileage looks attractive, 14 is pretty good on the highway, I never get more than 10.8!!!!! Rest of the things are marginal improvements. The weight reduction in the mHwak is about 70-100KGs?

Dostana CD is OK, I like the 2 slow songs, you don't like them? We got it free when we went to see "Transporter 3". You have great eyes that notice details

--Ramky
=====
Old 12th December 2008, 11:53   #876
Senior - BHPian

Regarding fitting the new instrument console on the old Scorp - I found out at the workshop that this cannot be done. The mounting points are different, and so is the speed sensor mechanism.
So, the best option would be to do what badboyscad has done (in the colour of your choice).
Old 12th December 2008, 13:02   #877

Quote:

BHP wise mHawk is only 5 bhp more than the earlier engine. But the light weight coupled with some effective fine tuning everywhere has helped this beast to be more a drivers delight now!!
The handling is a lot easier and steering response too is a notch better than the earlier versions.
Braking is a delight as the vehicle stops dead in a straight line at 120kmph when braked hard(ABS works here!!). I did this 4 times on the TD mHawk and was feeling great.

Wanted to check with you if your mhawks mileage improved after the service? How many Kms has your scorpio clocked? If you remember the mileage before the first service please could you share the figures.
Old 12th December 2008, 14:44   #878
Senior - BHPian

jacob, The mileage after the first service has improved by 1 km aprox.
My Scorpio has done 8000+km now.
Old 12th December 2008, 15:04   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYJ View Post
what is the ride difference between the 2.6 crde slx version and the mhawk. is there any change in the suspension.?is the mhawk more stable than slx at higher speeds..??
the ride difference is not noticeable at city speeds, but at high speeds, the mHAWK is a lot more stable and the bounciness has reduced.

Quote:
and what about its performance..??i mean is it much powerful than a slx.?? i havent driven a mhawk so dont know of it.
the performance has improved a little but what delights is the way the engine delivers this- very linear delivery of torque, no jerks and nil turbo lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Regarding fitting the new instrument console on the old Scorp - I found out at the workshop that this cannot be done. The mounting points are different, and so is the speed sensor mechanism.
So, the best option would be to do what badboyscad has done (in the colour of your choice).
not so happy hearing that.
Old 12th December 2008, 15:44   #880
BHPian

[quote=raj_5004;1090661]the ride difference is not noticeable at city speeds, but at high speeds, the mHAWK is a lot more stable and the bounciness has reduced.

Hi,
Mine is a crde 2.6 2005 end model ,leaf spring suspension version. Before i upgraded to alloys the bounce was prominent but after that the vehicle is more stable and less bouncy,ensure air pressure never beyond 30/31. With load i dont see much issues moreover, i never cross 100 even on highways!
Is it true that leaf springs are easier and less costlier to maintain?
Old 12th December 2008, 19:18   #881
Senior - BHPian

@ pradeep: yes, even i had a 2.6 GLX with leaf springs. Laden or unladen, the new scorpio with coil springs are much better than the leaf spring version. also, the heavier 2.6 CRDe unit pitches excessively even at city speeds, you will notice this after you drive the lighter mHAWK for some distance. reducing the air pressure was the only remedy in the leaf spring version, but in the mHAWK, it is not necessary, i keep it steady at 32 psi.
yes, leaf springs are easier and cheaper to maintain but they compromise on comfort and safety. moreover, they are very basic and something going wrong in it is very rare. at the extreme, it can crack. all you have to do is replace with a new one, it comes damn cheap!
Old 12th December 2008, 23:00   #882
BHPian

Quote:
@roshan

whats the price for a Autocop gearlock?
Including installation the cost is Rs 1,500 here in Delhi. Make sure the Autocop dealer or one of their authorized guys does the job, as installation is the critical part. Autocop also hands out a 5-year warranty on it.

Cheers,
Old 13th December 2008, 10:00   #883
Senior - BHPian

anybody with an idea of where is the autocop dealer in mumbai? i tried to search the autocop website too, but in vain.
Old 13th December 2008, 10:41   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
anybody with an idea of where is the autocop dealer in mumbai? i tried to search the autocop website too, but in vain.
Raj, maybe you could try Xenos. I have a Xenos gearlock fitted in my Scorpio.

New Gear locks: Mechanical gearshift lock for Ford, Toyota vehicles

Last edited by anupmathur : 13th December 2008 at 10:53.
Old 13th December 2008, 10:55   #885
Senior - BHPian

thanks anup sir. i am using reverse sensors by xenos for my innova, they are pretty good.
i will have to search its website and the dealer address in mumbai. i want to get this installed at a good place, dont want to take unwanted risks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks