51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2008, 17:54   #466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Guys, olease use the correct abbreviations - RPL is the ticker for Reliance Petroleum Limited - the Mukesh Ambani company. Reliance Power is an Anil Ambani co. Please use Rpower or RelPower while abbreviating Reliance Power.
Reliance Petro - RPL
Reliance Power - REPL
Old 12th February 2008, 17:59   #467
BHPian

hello all

I am new to this, just got my demat a/c this week. How do I go about getting some good info on do's & dont's, how and where to invest etc., can someone guide me??
Old 12th February 2008, 23:19   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvsatish View Post
hello all

I am new to this, just got my demat a/c this week. How do I go about getting some good info on do's & dont's, how and where to invest etc., can someone guide me??
Since your new i would advise you to invest in shares after sometime, once you are familar with how the market works.

You can buy shares (imaginary) and write it in your diary and then sell them one day and see how much you earned. Dont do it in real but just a practise by way of which youll get some idea.

Also demat companies hold workshop.
Old 12th February 2008, 23:48   #469
BHPian

@jvsatish: to add to the what Busa already said I would say start reading Indian Stock Market >> Stock Prices >> Stock Recommendations >> Hot Stocks >> Stock Market Investing >> BSE >> NSE >> Derivatives >> Market Statistics >> Most Active Shares >> Penny Stocks India >> BSE index and securities information & NDTV Profit: Home and start playing in www.moneybhai.moneycontrol.com (it's a virtual game where you get to trade with an imaginary sum of money....gradually you'll get the hang of it)
Old 13th February 2008, 11:31   #470
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
that is really really funny dude! am stuck in the damn market since its all over the damn place, have had to put off buying a car for the same reason.

although this is one really good time to get your hands on stock that was previously unreachable money wise. (need to have the spare cash though - anybody volunteering; i'll return it all i promise)

anyways, having to play the waiting game - AND the praying game AND the hoping game. the number of games people have to play!
Welcome to the Club.
I also have to put of car purchases, but then I did not lose much because I did not put much.
As for unreachable stocks, many times I buy like 2 shares on dip and sell on same day making 80rs or 100rs.
Sometimes I buy 5 shares and make 500rs in a day.
Small amounts, but I was recently looking at my portfolio tracker, all my long term investment thingies did not do that good, these small amounts made a big big contribution to mitigating the losses the sensex game me.

Remeber Harshad Mehta Scam? People lost crores.
but at that time the Bear had a Face. So investors came back when the Bear was removed.
Now this bear has no face.
A lot of money in the market has been put by people who never bought shares in their life, read stories like "Mr Bullmater made 7 lakhs out of 1 lakh in one year" in magazines like Outlook or India Today.
These weekly rags carried pictures of smiling champions standing next to a fancy car, all from stock market.
So middle class people, who put their investments in things like NSC and Insurance, put money in stocks.
And they lost their life savings.
Thats the saddest part.
In all this melee, FIIs and fund houses etc., make money, so do analysts, but the small investor, who got demat accounts just to give money to Mr Ambani, got burnt very bad.

Now whenever a share reaches 4-5% profit in a week, I just exit booking profits.
I am mostly looking at technical analysis now(You don't have to subscribe to a paid account, just plot the charts yourself using stuff like eclipsetrader, or Yahoo technicals)

Today market is up, and I expect another heavy crash, maybe to breach 16000 support before budget, after that it will be up up and away as the ministry will make noises on "How this budget will be good for industry"
Expectations will be build up, and then what the FM does will set direction.
If you are in this for a year or so, you will recover all your money if in large caps.
Old 13th February 2008, 11:49   #471
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking of discontinuing MFs from now on and investing directly only in Blue chips for long term (5-6 years).

I started SIP in some top performing funds last year(Sep 07) like HDFC tax saver, SBI magnum tax gain, Fidelity Tax advantage, but all are in losses :(

Last edited by DCEite : 13th February 2008 at 11:57.
Old 13th February 2008, 12:00   #472
Team-BHP Support

Infect in funds which exclusively invest in Blue chips.
Many of such fund I have are still in profit.
Midcaps have taken a bad hammering.
Old 13th February 2008, 12:13   #473
Senior - BHPian

Can you give an example of such MF which ivests in blue chips/large caps only?
Old 13th February 2008, 12:27   #474
Team-BHP Support

SBI Bluechip fund is one.
If you do demat throught Kotak, you can give Autoinvest option where every month an amount in invested 60% in Bluechip MF and 40% in Bluechip stocs.
Old 13th February 2008, 12:42   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
SBI Bluechip fund is one.
If you do demat throught Kotak, you can give Autoinvest option where every month an amount in invested 60% in Bluechip MF and 40% in Bluechip stocs.
Do you mean to say Kotak provides SIP facility for Stocks also?
Old 13th February 2008, 14:02   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I started SIP in some top performing funds last year(Sep 07) like HDFC tax saver, SBI magnum tax gain, Fidelity Tax advantage, but all are in losses :(
Its exactly the other way around for me. I have FIDELITY EQUITY FUND GROWTH and MERRILL LYNCH TECH. FUND - GROWTH. They have managed to keep 10% profit in spite of the crash.
Old 13th February 2008, 14:11   #477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncity View Post
Do you mean to say Kotak provides SIP facility for Stocks also?
Yup it does.
You can chose midcaps : varying ratio of stocks and MF
Largecaps : Ditto
Old 13th February 2008, 14:30   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Its exactly the other way around for me. I have FIDELITY EQUITY FUND GROWTH and MERRILL LYNCH TECH. FUND - GROWTH. They have managed to keep 10% profit in spite of the crash.
The reason i can think is that i started investing last year only, when the markets were high. You probably have been in the market for long. Isnt it?
Old 13th February 2008, 14:34   #479
BHPian

Instead of investing in MFs one can directly invest in blue chip stocks. Prepare a list of all the sectors you would like to invest in. Have a good spread of sectors and stocks. Select top two/three stocks from each sector and invest systematically in small amounts every month. In case you have extra funds at hand, invest more on every dip.

If the stock falls, as Rel Power did, average out the price by buying at lower levels.

To me, this is a very good opportunity to buy. Don't panic on short term losses. Likewise, don't go overboard on temporary highs. Treat your stock investments in much the same way as you would your recurring account.

At the end of two/three years you will have a very good portfolio.

Remember, stock market will not fail you in long run, if you are both patient and disciplined with your investments.

My 0.02
Old 14th February 2008, 12:54   #480
BHPian

I believe I am already reaching my target of 10000 on Sensex this year. Original Target was for next year. Keeping most of the funds in cash for the right oppurtunity. All the mathematical models points to this for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks