Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 21:53   #211
BHPian

Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

My interview lasted exactly 3 minutes for a B1/B2 business visa. I think it all depends on your confidence and body language. They have a long list of documents they want you to carry but mostly don't ask for much in reality, except the invitation letter in case of business trip. Please make sure you carry ALL documents since you never know what they might ask you to furnish. All in all, a pretty painless process though.
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:13   #212
BHPian

I had my H1B interview on July 3rd this year. Submitted DS160's , paid fees, scheduled appointments in the earlier week. For H1B of the current year, you can only schedule for interview 90 days prior to 1st October, hence I chose 2nd and 3rd July.

Interview process was smooth and the interview must have lasted only 5 minutes. But the time it takes to get to the interview window is very long. Since 4th July being a holiday, 50% of the windows were closed making it even more slow. The officer asked me couple of questions, looked at my petition, passport(since I have an earlier B1/B2 visa) and no questions asked to my wife and kid Visa was approved and reached in 4-5 days.
Old 4th September 2013, 10:16   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
My interview lasted exactly 3 minutes for a B1/B2 business visa. I think it all depends on your confidence and body language. They have a long list of documents they want you to carry but mostly don't ask for much in reality, except the invitation letter in case of business trip. Please make sure you carry ALL documents since you never know what they might ask you to furnish. All in all, a pretty painless process though.
60-70% of your case is decided before you reach the window. It's your body language. It's natural to be nervous but its the lying that they pick up on. Also your eagerness to return. If you have ties to India then you can't be away for long. The more you can stay away the weaker are your ties. It's as simple as that.
Old 5th September 2013, 12:16   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
The more you can stay away the weaker are your ties. It's as simple as that.
With that logic, a person who travels very frequently to different parts of the world will have lesser chance of getting a US visa, isn't it?

On the contrary, my observation is that those who have traveled to several countries in the western world (barring some countries in the Middle-East and Africa) get a US visa much easily.
Old 5th September 2013, 12:24   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
With that logic, a person who travels very frequently to different parts of the world will have lesser chance of getting a US visa, isn't it?

On the contrary, my observation is that those who have traveled to several countries in the western world (barring some countries in the Middle-East and Africa) get a US visa much easily.
There seems to be no rule of thumb on who gets a visa or who doesn't. And visiting western countries is no exception.

I have a B1/B2 visa as well as have visas for Iran and Iraq on my passport. I was worried about that since US has not had good ties with these countries. But I had no issues. I just mentioned all my trips there, on my DS160.
Old 5th September 2013, 13:10   #216
BHPian

Quote:

But it's your ties that come you come back and you demonstrated that.
Old 5th September 2013, 13:19   #217
BHPian

My wife's B1/B2 visa interview happened about 2 weeks back. It was as easy as it gets. She had the early morning slot(7:30AM) and we were at the consulate at about 6:45 AM. There were about 3 people in-front of her. She was let in at about 7:00 AM and came out at 7:30. She was asked 3 questions and the officer said that the visa was approved. Passport arrived within 3 days.

Mind you, this is her first travel overseas travel and her passport doesn't have any VISA stamping prior to this. Based on her inquiries with colleagues and friends, she was a bit skeptical, however, it turned out to be a breeze.
Old 5th September 2013, 13:58   #218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You misunderstood his post.
What he means to say is that, if you go there and tear up your passport, will it make your life better or worse.
If you are a globe trotter, it means you have good money/job here. So you are a low risk candidate.
That said, sometimes, or rather many times, there is no logic involved. The visa officer may be in a bad mood, or may not like your face.
what I really love about Shengen countries is that often there is no interview involved. you send in details of your job, your finances and your itenary for tourism, and after 2-3 weeks visa comes back.
No need to go there, show your face, get subjected to profiling, and have your fate decided by somebody who may or may not be happy with their job.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 5th September 2013 at 13:59.
Old 5th September 2013, 18:12   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Y
what I really love about Shengen countries is that often there is no interview involved...
Well Shengen countries are getting stricter now, even for business visas.
Our company received intimation from the consulate last week that the invitation letters are not describing the purpose of the visit in detail. They want more elaborate invitation letters with proper reasons from now on.
So, now the company is discussing directly with the consulate on what can be done.
Finland consulate requires personal appearance for the first time, renewals do not need personal appearance. Sweden and Norway do not expect personal appearance even for the first time.

I am wondering when India will be able to shake off its 'third-world' image so that visa is no longer such a big issue.
Old 5th September 2013, 18:52   #220
BHPian

Not sure about shengen visas, but German visas are still a breeze.

Get Invitation letter from the host company, get Pre approval from embassy, appearance to the consulate for fingerprint scanning and your visa arrives in 4 days. All in all a month max. And best part that is valid across shengen countries.
Old 6th September 2013, 15:01   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
Try calling the Omani consulate. I see conflicting reports on their website.

Any client you have a bit of rapport won't mind getting a visa for you. It's routine. Also try Oman air
Neither Oman air nor hotels are providing visas. I got mine just done by my client.

Thanks for the tips .
Old 9th September 2013, 08:16   #222
BHPian

Quote:

I am wondering when India will be able to shake off its 'third-world' image so that visa is no longer such a big issue.
It's a reflection of poor international relations. Governments usually go to bat for its citizens to make travel, investments and education in other countries easier. It's also reciprocal.
India needs better foreign policy. Only then would we command respect.

Having said that, it also helps countries to screen the people who "jump" once they go abroad. Indians seems to be high up on the list though its improving.
Old 1st February 2014, 11:38   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Filled up form on Monday, paid the same day and took appointment online, bio-metrics on Wednesday, Interview on Thursday, Visa delivery on Friday.

It all depends on when you get free slots for bio metrics and interview.

Biometrics took 45 mins for 3 people. Interview took 1 hr - From entry to exit (total procedure)
Hi,

Intend to visit US in May for my cousins marriage, family of 4 members. For the Visa online application

> How to you fill DS -160 form up for a group? Do the individuals need to make new logins , fill up forms individually then go for interview & photo+biometric scheduling under "group Scheduling request" https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/...edulingrequest

kindly clarify

> Also going for a wedding what category should i go with, should i select B1/B2 or B2?
B1/B2 - VISITOR FOR BUSINESS AND PLEASURE
B2 - VISITOR FOR PLEASURE OR MEDICAL TREATMENT

> Can you elaborate on list of documents to be carried (for both Biometric+photo & visa interview)

Thanks!

Last edited by redrage : 1st February 2014 at 11:45.
Old 27th February 2014, 12:05   #224
BHPian

What are the chances of L1B getting approved for a Senior Software Engineer for a US based startup.

I have been working with this startup for 1.9 years now in Bangalore office and I have designed and architect ed the next product we are building.I design, write code, debug things, mentor other engineers in both US and Bangalore.

I do not own a house/flat here but my father has a decent enough house.

What is the probability for getting a L1B visa for a small startup employee like me.
Old 27th February 2014, 17:35   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
What are the chances of L1B getting approved for a Senior Software Engineer for a US based startup.

I have been working with this startup for 1.9 years now in Bangalore office and I have designed and architect ed the next product we are building.I design, write code, debug things, mentor other engineers in both US and Bangalore.

I do not own a house/flat here but my father has a decent enough house.

What is the probability for getting a L1B visa for a small startup employee like me.
acroback,

A major criteria for high rejection of L1B visa's are when we say client projects or IT service industry. I would suggest you to build up a strong case on the product that you have designed and developed and mention that you will be working on this product alone instead of any client services. The approval rate increases for an in-house product when compared to client service projects.
The other things such as owning a house/ flat are not a big factor if your pay package here is decent and your willingness to return.

PS.. How do I know this?? This is what was told to me by my senior manager and my L1B case was processed and approved in the same manner this month

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks