Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2016, 08:38   #286
BHPian

Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Need to add that even if its a 10 year US B1/B2 visa they issue, the actual time you could spend in the States is determined by the Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) officer. For instance, I know people who have got just a week when their meetings were actually supposed to last over 2 months. And vice versa as well !

Either way, the maximum duration a CBP officer provides is for 6 months, and presently its completely automated (as opposed to 2 years ago where they used to staple a piece of paper called the I-94). My last travel to the US was a mere 4 days for an official emergency meeting, and both the Indian and US immigration authorities were equally shocked at my duration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If you have a linkedin profile you could just have shown him that during the interview and he'd mostly have been ok with it.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd December 2016 at 09:51. Reason: Reduced quoted section
Old 2nd December 2016, 08:52   #287
Senior - BHPian

You just have to prove to him that you need to be there for two months - including for example plane tickets booked within the USA for tourism or seeing relatives as a break midway through your stay.

In general, I've found that even if I tell the guy I'm staying for a week he stamps one or two months on my passport, so the converse is a bit funny.

But then again I've worked since 2009 for companies that are instantly recognizable by name in the USA, so I guess that gives the officer some sort of confidence level.
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:09   #288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
For instance, I know people who have got just a week when their meetings were actually supposed to last over 2 months. And vice versa as well!
This is because of the massive abuses by Indian IT companies, who used B1 for sending programmers in the guise of business meetings. A guy who has real business meetings for 2 months would fit a certain profile. If the officer doesn't see it, they will shorten the duration.

That reminds me, my 10 year B1 just expired. Need to renew it soon.
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:13   #289
BHPian

Concur wholeheartedly- fortunately, I've been granted 6 months regardless of the duration I tell the CBP officer at the port of entry.
Quote:
You just have to prove to him that you need to be there for two months - including for example plane tickets booked within the USA for tourism or seeing relatives as a break midway through your stay.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd December 2016 at 09:51. Reason: Reduced quoted section
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:26   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is because of the massive abuses by Indian IT companies, who used B1 for sending programmers in the guise of business meetings. A guy who has real business meetings for 2 months would fit a certain profile. If the officer doesn't see it, they will shorten the duration.

That reminds me, my 10 year B1 just expired. Need to renew it soon.
While I don't quite believe what he says, Trump has been promising to fix the H1 system by increasing the threshold salary at which a H1 can be sent over to the USA.

Right now people going on a H1 from Indian IT companies can get paid anywhere from 40 to 60% of what an American would earn for the same job, and if the salaries are brought at par, companies have zero incentive to take kids with 2..3 years work experience and claim that they are experts in their field.

So, let us see what he does going forward. But whatever visas you get guys, get them while Obama is in power.
Old 2nd December 2016, 13:31   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I don't quite believe what he says, Trump has been promising to fix the H1 system by increasing the threshold salary at which a H1 can be sent over to the USA.

Right now people going on a H1 from Indian IT companies can get paid anywhere from 40 to 60% of what an American would earn for the same job, and if the salaries are brought at par, companies have zero incentive to take kids with 2..3 years work experience and claim that they are experts in their field.

So, let us see what he does going forward. But whatever visas you get guys, get them while Obama is in power.
Now a days established companies don't send 2-3 yr experienced persons at onsite locations on H1.
Min 4 year experience required to even get past the first round of organizational cut off at my organization.
L1 - no one under 8-9 years are considered.
Old 2nd December 2016, 13:36   #292
Senior - BHPian

As the whole point of a H1 is to source talent that cannot be found in the USA - it still doesn't quite pass the sniff test that (e&oe extremely niche areas) a three or four year experienced resource is going to have skills that make him so essential here's no viable substitute for him available in the USA.
Old 2nd December 2016, 14:11   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As the whole point of a H1 is to source talent that cannot be found in the USA - it still doesn't quite pass the sniff test that (e&oe extremely niche areas) a three or four year experienced resource is going to have skills that make him so essential here's no viable substitute for him available in the USA.
You are right. But there is however another question of relevant experience.
Say X has worked in India for Client ABCD since the last 3 years, and knows every nook and cranny of how a COTS package has been deployed, set up, customized and being used by the clients.
Y is a 3-4 year experienced job seeker at USA.
By the logic stated above , if there is a requirement at the company's US location - Y should be hired at USA rather than X getting a H1B and flying over. But where would Y get the relevant project experience? KT is barely 5% of actual hands on project experience.
Old 2nd December 2016, 15:18   #294
Senior - BHPian

Agree but from what I hear they are also setting a minimum threshold salary - something above 100k a year - so unless they want to pay a 4 years experienced resource that much they will naturally send only truly senior people.
Old 10th March 2017, 21:42   #295
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Wanted to know whats the trend post Donald Trump with the B1/B2 visa? I'm planning to apply for wife, kid and myself. Any advice and suggestions would be welcome. This will be my first attempt for it.

Heard a lot of different opinions and hence thought let me check here.
Old 11th March 2017, 08:26   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Hi guys,

Wanted to know whats the trend post Donald Trump with the B1/B2 visa? I'm planning to apply for wife, kid and myself. Any advice and suggestions would be welcome. This will be my first attempt for it.

The criteria haven't changed. The chances are high that the already strict enforcement will be even stricter. Good luck.
Old 11th March 2017, 13:16   #297
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Hi guys,

As long as you have a valid reason for travel you shouldn't really worry because it is B1/B2 visa. The worry is only for the H1B1.

I applied B1 Visa very recently and was quite pessimistic about getting it because of my religion but to my surprise the visa was stamped and I received the passport in a day !

Good luck

Last edited by mohammedismail : 11th March 2017 at 13:18.
Old 11th March 2017, 13:44   #298
Team-BHP Support

These days real hurdle seems to be at the immigration counter of the airports in USA, rather than at US consulates that issue visas.
Old 11th March 2017, 15:27   #299
BHPian

Quote:
These days real hurdle seems to be at the immigration counter of the airports in USA, rather than at US consulates that issue visas.
+1. Couldn't agree more. Even CBP officer's are at loss, to understand the ever changing rules and regulations pertaining to immigration in these times + the new political climate adding to the confusion.
Old 11th March 2017, 22:40   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The criteria haven't changed. The chances are high that the already strict enforcement will be even stricter. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
As long as you have a valid reason for travel you shouldn't really worry because it is B1/B2 visa. The worry is only for the H1B1.

I applied B1 Visa very recently and was quite pessimistic about getting it because of my religion but to my surprise the visa was stamped and I received the passport in a day !

Good luck
Quote:
Thanks guys. Here is why I was asking.

1. I spoke to a travel agency called Arika that handles all travel/ticketing in a friends office and they said you don't have to show hotel bookings and air tickets! They sent me a list of documents which asked for an invitation letter if applicable, which a childhood friend is willing to send as he has invited me to stay with him in L.A. But then....

2. Another very old friend works for Y-Axis since the last 2 years and he's had his US visa rejected 4 times so far since 2005 and he had shown an invitation letter from his elder sister who was a green card holder at the time so he says don't show them that you have any friends or family there at all. Just say you are going there for a holiday with the wife and kid.

3. An ex colleague had his visa rejected 3 times and then the 4th time when he applied with wife and kid he got it so I've been told whenever you apply, make sure its along with the wife and kid as that just makes your case stronger, especially when you have a job and properties in your name here.

4. Everyone has told me that whether they give you the visa or not is usually decided on the online form you submit before you actually go for the interview and of course how you talk to them in the interview. These 2 things are the most important and that's why most of the times they don't ask for documents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks