Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 15:37   #136
BHPian

re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

^^^ getting a chinese visa is easy and do what ever you can, they never issue you multiple entry one. same hold good for japan as well. Only Single entry VISA for business visits.

On a Diff Note, L1 visa;s for US has become rare like a tiger. Heck even tiger can be spotted in wild more easily . In my place, L1 ;s are getting approved rarely. Rejection rate is so high that travel desk guys have stopped expecting L1 ,s now and fees when i went last time was mind boggling 26000 INR + . IMO they are making good money by rejecting L1 since fees has to be deposited whether one get;s visa or not. Rightfully Govt is mulling a appeal against this in WTO .
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:41   #137
BHPian

I had applied for a UK family visitor visa for 6 months on 15th march through VFS Mumbai ( at their vile parle branch). There was some rush over there when I reached there at 3:30pm. My appointment was at 3pm though.
I made the payment of 18300 for 3 visas (6100 for 1) and was given a token number. Mine was the last. When my turn came, the guy verified my documents. Then I had to go for some bio-metric test where they scanned my face, fingers and both thumbs. Then the guy asked me my birthdate, the spelling of my surname and my full name. That's it. Got the visa and all other documents by blue dart couriers after exactly 11 days i.e. 26th march.

P.S. I didn't take help of any travel agent for the application process. Some family friends used a travel agent and their visa got rejected! In the end of the application form we have to state whether we filled it up on our own or used help of any agents.

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 3rd April 2012 at 16:43.
Old 25th June 2012, 09:20   #138
Team-BHP Support

My company usually sends 2-3 senior staff to visit USA every year to hob-nob with the customers, get new requirements from them, etc. The duration of the visit is never more than 3 weeks. It is an once a year event.

I usually send people with at least 4 years experience in the company, so these are the same people who are regularly dealing with the customers with whom they are planning meet face to face. Therefore, I have never had any issues with business visa application.

Today one of my engineers was rejected for business visa. He was told that they are scrutinizing the business application very deeply and his didn't measure up.

I was quite stunned since we were making the proper usage of the visa category, and we have never faced any difficulty all these years.

Then I remembered some of the recent happenings....

Infosys faces under scrutiny in US over visa misuse
Offshoring backlash: Infosys told to clarify B1 visa misuse allegations in US - Economic Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/13/us...pagewanted=all
Infosys Briefed B-1 Visa Holders on How to Deceive U.S. Immigration Officials | Blogs | ITBusinessEdge.com

It looks like the misuse by Infosys has come back to haunt us all. The B-1 visa scrutiny has definitely changed. I don't know how we are supposed to qualify for B-1 if honest answer is not good enough anymore.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th June 2012 at 11:28. Reason: typo
Old 25th June 2012, 10:39   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It looks like the misuse by Infosys has come back to haunt us all. The B-1 visa scrutiny has definitely changed. I don't how we are supposed to qualify for B-1 if honest answer is not good enough anymore.
This has been happening since last year. Mine as well as a colleague's B1 was rejected stating that the reason is not justified . We both had "Client meeting" and "Training" as the reason for visit. Looks like now we need to come up with fake reasons to convince the officials.

Another 2 guys are going for interview in a week or two. Will update the status on how that goes. In fact, my next application will depend on the outcome of their interview.
Old 25th June 2012, 11:32   #140
Senior - BHPian

For those going on labour work permits to the US (L/H) visas, even through big companies, please scrutinise your company processed application very carefully. Especially the salary declared in your LCA and the one actually offered.

I learnt it the hard way.
Old 25th June 2012, 11:52   #141
BHPian

Any Inputs?

I hold a Canada Work Permit and moving to Canada in few days. I plan to apply for US tourist visa from there; any tips, precautions for the same? I already hold a valid US visa (L1), and have stayed in US for over four years. Would I be given a tourist visa valid for 10 years, OR, the one valid for six months?
Old 25th June 2012, 15:36   #142
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard
I had applied for a UK family visitor visa for 6 months on 15th march through VFS Mumbai ( at their vile parle branch). There was some rush over there when I reached there at 3:30pm. My appointment was at 3pm though.
I made the payment of 18300 for 3 visas (6100 for 1) and was given a token number. Mine was the last. When my turn came, the guy verified my documents. Then I had to go for some bio-metric test where they scanned my face, fingers and both thumbs. Then the guy asked me my birthdate, the spelling of my surname and my full name. That's it. Got the visa and all other documents by blue dart couriers after exactly 11 days i.e. 26th march.

P.S. I didn't take help of any travel agent for the application process. Some family friends used a travel agent and their visa got rejected! In the end of the application form we have to state whether we filled it up on our own or used help of any agents.
The UK visa is pretty straightforward. If your documents are ok and you are willing to pay the price and follow the rules, it is almost certain that you will get it. And no longer are you allowed to use any tout or agent. You absolutely have to go personally after securing an appointment from VFS and submit your papers yourself on account of the new rules and the biometric etc.
Old 28th June 2012, 14:49   #143
BHPian

Need some information here. How difficult it would be to get schengen visa for Italy ?
We (Me, wife and toddler) are planning to visit Italy sometime this year (around Oct-Nov) but the best tickets available are non-refundable ones.

We talked to one of the travel agents (reputed ones), they suggested that we file visa with them and they will show blocked tickets for us and file visa (rs 500 each) so that in case it gets rejected then we won't loose any thing on airfare cancellation.

We are planning to do the trip on our own without using any agent's help (except probably for airtickets). We have charted out own itinerary and in process of finalizing hotels.

Though the process is quite simple as listed on VFS site and I can arrange all the documents easily including air tickets, hotel booking confirmation, travel insurance, fin details etc. But hesitant after hearing that visa can be rejected too. Should we go and apply for visa as agent has suggested ?
Old 28th June 2012, 17:28   #144
Senior - BHPian

@deeps79: Though I am not an expert, but Schengen visa cost is around 4000-5000. I am not sure what you are getting for Rs. 500 that you have mentioned above.
ITALY VISA

Generally it takes about 1 month for this visa (at least when my employer is sending individuals on that visa.)
Old 28th June 2012, 17:45   #145
Senior - BHPian

I have a B1/ B2 visa that I had got for a personal visit from the US embassy in Paris. I renewed my passport but I believe the 10 year validity B1 visa should be valid (as the renewed passport states without prejudice to visas in passport no. xxxxx).
My question is whether this B1 can also be used for business visits or I should ask the company to apply for a fresh visa for this purpose?
And if a new visa is applied and rejected (my life doesnt depend on it!) will this have any effect on my existing personal B1/ B2 visa? Again life doesnt depend on it, but I would not want it to go to waste considering I spent from my pocket!
typical middle class attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
For those going on labour work permits to the US (L/H) visas, even through big companies, please scrutinise your company processed application very carefully. Especially the salary declared in your LCA and the one actually offered.
Noted. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by selfdrive : 28th June 2012 at 17:47.
Old 28th June 2012, 17:52   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Any Inputs?

I hold a Canada Work Permit and moving to Canada in few days. I plan to apply for US tourist visa from there; any tips, precautions for the same? I already hold a valid US visa (L1), and have stayed in US for over four years. Would I be given a tourist visa valid for 10 years, OR, the one valid for six months?
Its fairly easy and am yet to hear any rejection stories within my circle.

A suggestion though is to keep the duration of stay realistic in the application, i.e. for a tourist visa mention the probable number of days you are planning to spend in US (which I'm sure won't cross more than a month). In general they seem to give a visa which is valid for 10 years.

You can apply for the visa as well as present most of the docs online. You will given an appointment date (choice). Turn up at the designated time & location and you should be good to go.
Old 28th June 2012, 20:37   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Any Inputs?

Infotech58,
can you give me inputs on your experience on getting a Canadian Work permit, how to zero in to a location, major points I should look into, any reference consultancy firms in Mumbai which helped you out. Appreciate your inputs.

Regarding B1 visa, yes Consulate is scrutinizing very thoroughly. They ask some indirect questions. For example: 'What will be your US salary', 'How many hours are you going to book'. Applicant in haste multiply their per Diem with number of days and give a number, which goes against their way.
If stay is beyond couple of weeks, that too can be a negative.
Old 28th June 2012, 21:58   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I have a B1/ B2 visa that I had got for a personal visit from the US embassy in Paris.......
My question is whether this B1 can also be used for business visits or I should ask the company to apply for a fresh visa for this purpose?
I think it can be. Confirm with your company's visa department.

Quote:
And if a new visa is applied and rejected (my life doesnt depend on it!) will this have any effect on my existing personal B1/ B2 visa? Again life doesnt depend on it, but I would not want it to go to waste considering I spent from my pocket!
typical middle class attitude
Chances are, if you apply for a new one, the older one would be canceled!

Quote:
Noted. Thanks for the heads up!
There is actually a lot more to it.
I will fill you up (first with Misal, and then with this story) when we meet. lol !
Old 29th June 2012, 10:56   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a B1/ B2 visa that I had got for a personal visit from the US embassy in Paris. I renewed my passport but I believe the 10 year validity B1 visa should be valid (as the renewed passport states without prejudice to visas in passport no. xxxxx).
I don’t think there is a need to apply for a new one. IIRC, the US visa I got for my business trip last time was B1/B2 (from US Embassy Singapore). I will check my old passport and confirm later this evening

Even if you have renewed the passport, the visa is valid. You just need to carry the old passport as well.
Old 29th June 2012, 13:47   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
can you give me inputs on your experience on getting a Canadian Work permit, how to zero in to a location, major points I should look into, any reference consultancy firms in Mumbai which helped you out. Appreciate your inputs.
there are three type of visas you can get for Canada under which you can work there - ICT (Intra Company Transfer), LMO (Labor Market Opinion), or PR (Permanent Residance).
Your employer can file an ICT for you if there is an opening in Canada, or if you have an offer from an employer in Canada - s/he can file LMO for you, or if you are eligible based upon certain criteria, you can file for PR and do any kind of work after landing in Canada. ICT, and LMO takes approx. 6 weeks end to end; PR takes approx. 10-12 months in most of cases. Note that people from Information Technology line of work are no longer eligible to file PR for Ontario (Toronto, where most of the IT jobs in Canada are).

if you get PR, you can apply for citizenship after staying for three years in Canada. to retain your PR status, you've to stay in Canada for 3 years out of first 5 years of getting PR.

PM me with any specific information you might want and I will try to help.

Last edited by infotech58 : 29th June 2012 at 13:48.

Most Viewed