Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2010, 10:40   #1486
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the review nikhil. I might call you in the nights for putting it up here for precise directions
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
The sweltering head of Hyderabadi Summers always drag me to various outlets selling Ice Creams/Kulfi's.......

1. Bombay Natural Kulfi
Bombay Natural Kulfi serve some of the most delicious Kulfi's. Loved Malai Kulfi and Kesar Pista Kulfi. The variety of Kulfi's doesnot end with Malai or Kesar Pista, they also have Pista, Mango, Chocolate, Almond and etc.
I normally prefer to go to nearby places for kulfi/ice-creams after my dinner. Though not in my backyard compared to the Homemade Amritsari Kulfi outlet, I shall visit this place for those varieties!!

Quote:
2. Homemade Amritsari Kulfi
Homemade Amritsari Kulfi takes the cake. Home made and very thick. Made with Pure Basundi. Tastes awesome and you will enjoy this for sure, in any form it turns into. If its freezed, lets call it Kulfi. If it melts and is semi-freezed, lets call it Basundi. If its in liquid state, then lets call it Masala Doodh.
Amritsari Kulfi can be purchased from the appartments exactly opposte to Hyderabad Nursing Home, Basheer Bagh. She stays in the appartments. Ask anyone there and they will guide you to her place.
Now this is exactly, what I am looking for but I doubt she will be selling it in the night and no sitting means, I have to buy it from Balaji(is it the balaji super market or grand bazar something like that??). Any idea till what time will they be open in the night??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Last evening went to "Night Flight" at Himayathnagar and this time sat in their aeroplane section ( no smoking zone). Man, its simply awesome. you feel that your practically sitting in a Boeing 747. We took the Window seats
Rajesh and Milecruncher, we need to check this place out together once....
Do give me a ring, I might team up as well!!!

EDIT: We reached 100th page!!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 21st April 2010 at 10:42.
Old 21st April 2010, 11:29   #1487
BHPian

A century of Hyderabad Foodies.

Been to Utupura at Banjara Hills a couple of days back, for dinner. Utupura serves malabaari food (kerala cusine). Loved the Fish Fry, Karimeen Curry, Parotha's. It was a total VFM, especially if you are looking for some delicious authentic keralite food.

If you are looking for or have a penchant for Kerala Cusine, then I would suggest Utupura. Tapioca Curry, Beef Fry, Fish Fry, Karimeen, Kappa Biryani and lot more. Did not experiment much on the food part, but would love to have Tapioca Curry and Kappa Biryani the next time I am there. BTW Guys, Kappa doesnot mean FROG, Kappa is another name for Tapioca. Tapioca is the root, from which Sabudana or Saggu Beeyam is made.

Ambience wise, I would say it is just a flat, converted into a restaurant in haste. Nothing much to say about ambience, lest you will feel the rustic kerala type ambience there. Color Green adorns the place and you will see greenery all over the place.

Ordered: Fish Fry, Karimeen Curry, Malabari Parota's, Boiled Rice, Paayasam.
Total Bill: 350/-
Old 21st April 2010, 11:37   #1488
Team-BHP Support

Utupura got mixed reviews.

But I agree with teh VFM part.
I even uploaded the menu card in an earlier post.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ra#post1365952
Old 21st April 2010, 13:44   #1489
Senior - BHPian

I can vouch for the experiance at Anjappar,which is better than Utupura.Their chettinad biryani is awesome.
Btw are there any Mangalore joints in Hyderabad (apart from Udipi hotels like Kamat) where north kanada cuisine like Kori Roti,Chiroti,Bakala Bath,macarons are served?

Another hunt for me is Marathi Vegetarian food like Shreyas in Pune.Any pointers?
Old 21st April 2010, 14:20   #1490
Senior - BHPian

I'm also looking for Mangalorean Cuisine here in Hyderabad. Something similar to what is served at Mahesh Lunch Home in Mumbai / Pune
Old 21st April 2010, 15:30   #1491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would recommend the following :-

1..Souther Spice, Rd No 3, Banjara Hills

Order their vegetarian thali and order their spicy telagana NV dishes

2.. Abhiruchi, Paradise Circle, Near to Parklane Crossroads

They do churn out an authentic andhra thali and try their Mutton Fry, superb. But, quantity will be too less.

Abhiruchi has two sections, AC and Non-AC. AC section ambience is quite nice and well suitable for a family.

At both places, start your meal with mixing gun-powder with rice and lots of ghee poured on top of it
Me & tirthankar went to Abhiruchi today for Lunch to have their Andhra Meals. We did start our lunch with lots of Ghee & GunPowder. The drum stick curry was very tasty and even the Rasam deserves a special mention.

I'm definitely going there again for the mutton Fry!

P.S: Why is the White Powder called Gun Powder? It wasn't hot at all!
Old 21st April 2010, 17:56   #1492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I can vouch for the experiance at Anjappar,which is better than Utupura.Their chettinad biryani is awesome.
Btw are there any Mangalore joints in Hyderabad (apart from Udipi hotels like Kamat) where north kanada cuisine like Kori Roti,Chiroti,Bakala Bath,macarons are served?

Another hunt for me is Marathi Vegetarian food like Shreyas in Pune.Any pointers?
Anjappar would definetly be better than Utupura even though never visited them. Anjappar is a much upmarket restuarant and having visited them twice had mixed experience. Once it was horrible, next time went for lunch with Rajesh Rawal and it was quite good.

Btw, i heard its closed for renovation or closed altogether. Is it true?

If your searching for Marathi food like you get in Vaishali or Roopali in FC road in Pune, tough luck you wont get it.

I am in luck though since my mom is a marathi, all her relatives make heavenly marathi food and i eat at their place if i need to satiate my marathi food urge...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Me & tirthankar went to Abhiruchi today for Lunch to have their Andhra Meals. We did start our lunch with lots of Ghee & GunPowder. The drum stick curry was very tasty and even the Rasam deserves a special mention.

I'm definitely going there again for the mutton Fry!

No clue why its called a gun power, i reckon we both need to find a proper andhra guy and pose him this question...heheeh

It is made of chana dal and it is not meant to be hot but has a distinct flavour and goes well with rice and ghee.

Sigh !!! I cannot eat such tummy filling food anymore
Old 21st April 2010, 18:21   #1493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, if you had the original 'kandi podi or kandi gunda' as it is called, it would have been orange in colour, and is spicy enough to set your a.s.s. on fire. Hence the term gun powder.

Reminds me of a pal of mine who was asked by US customs if he was carrying any food. Normally Telugu guys carry lots of kandi podi with them to the US. He was about to say 'only gun powder' till better sense prevailed on him
Old 21st April 2010, 18:26   #1494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Well, if you had the original 'kandi podi or kandi gunda' as it is called, it would have been orange in colour, and is spicy enough to set your a.s.s. on fire. Hence the term gun powder.

Reminds me of a pal of mine who was asked by US customs if he was carrying any food. Normally Telugu guys carry lots of kandi podi with them to the US. He was about to say 'only gun powder' till better sense prevailed on him
i think you are referring to "Kandi Pachadi" though i know it as a different name. It surely is hot and very tasty. We make it at home

But, AFAIK, Gun Powder and Kandi Pachidi are two different things. KP is slightly thicker and GP is like powder.
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:39   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
I'm also looking for Mangalorean Cuisine here in Hyderabad. Something similar to what is served at Mahesh Lunch Home in Mumbai / Pune

I used to relish mahesh lunch home and Jai hind at parel for their awesome neer dosa and green prawn masala,any idea where we can expect neer dosa in hyd
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:43   #1496
Distinguished - BHPian

Milecruncher got some snacks from Universal Bakery, Himayathnagar last evening (Tandoori Chicken, Mutton Chops, What else was there? I forgot..LOL)

I really liked the Mutton Chops, it was delicious.

UB being so close to home, didnt pay them a visit atleast since over a year.

P.S: I liked the pasta cooked by Milecruncher at my place better than the outside snacks. Great Job Ani
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:44   #1497
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night after dinner at Country Club(hosted by a relative), we went to Famous ice-cream shop at Mozamzahi Market. Four of us had 4 mango ice-cream and 2 cheeku ice-cream. Of both I liked the mango ice-cream.

damages: 72/-
(its just 12/- per serving of two small scoops!!)

Unlike to the regular ice-creams, i think here they are made of crushed ice!! I am not aware of the method of making it but I think they use fresh fruit juice with milk and sugar with crushed ice!!! (I read some time ago, that this recipe was there in Hyderabad during Nizam's time, at that time they used to get the ice from Kashmir!!)

Another thing I felt is that "CHILLED" effect in the mouth / throat is more than what you feel when you have regular ice-cream, may be we can attribute that to the crushed ice!!!
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:52   #1498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

P.S: I liked the pasta cooked by Milecruncher at my place better than the outside snacks. Great Job Ani
Thanks!

We can a cooking /BBQ somewhere as our next meet theme
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:21   #1499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Yesterday night after dinner at Country Club(hosted by a relative), we went to Famous ice-cream shop at Mozamzahi Market. Four of us had 4 mango ice-cream and 2 cheeku ice-cream. Of both I liked the mango ice-cream.

damages: 72/-
(its just 12/- per serving of two small scoops!!)

Unlike to the regular ice-creams, i think here they are made of crushed ice!! I am not aware of the method of making it but I think they use fresh fruit juice with milk and sugar with crushed ice!!! (I read some time ago, that this recipe was there in Hyderabad during Nizam's time, at that time they used to get the ice from Kashmir!!)

Another thing I felt is that "CHILLED" effect in the mouth / throat is more than what you feel when you have regular ice-cream, may be we can attribute that to the crushed ice!!!
Your right. They use crushed ice to make their ice cream and still use some crude ice cream making machines. That's why the ice cream has a slightly rougher body and not like those upmarket places where they give you smoothie ice creams.

All i can say, Famous has its own charm and can be had once in a while. While my favorite icecreams still remain from Havemore at Basheerbagh.
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:27   #1500
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post

The Jowar roti meals @ kamat in Abids(Ramakrishna theatre) takes me home to north karnataka.
Another one for Mangalore style would be the Shanbag hotels chain (new one in panjagutta next to loft is much cleaner than the earlier one which was next to central).

BTW, happened to visit B'lore 2 weekends ago and ended up spending whole of Saturday visiting all the authentic joints in chamrajpet-basavangudi-NR colony areas -> Vada Sambar@Roti Ghar, Palak rice@SLV, Benne(makkhan) dosa @ dosa camp and button idli & coffee @ UD's.

Vijay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks