Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2024, 21:40   #6451
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

On my visit to Hyderabad 15 years back, I stumbled across a restaurant not far from Charminaar, the biriyani I tasted there was one of the best renditions of the dish I have ever had. It was bursting with flavor, was moist and there was something in it which wasn't easy to replicate. I later recollected that the place was Shadab.

Fast forward to the present, now having been here for a year, that taste is just a memory. Biriyani is the subject of much hype in this town, but having tasted it all over the city in all kinds of eateries, it's clear that they now just milk the biriyani myth for all that it's worth. Be it Shah ghouse, pista house, mehfil and a host of other big and small joints, the biriyani now available is often bereft of flavor, the rice too dry or heavy, and overall just too underwhelming. Even at Shadab, I could not recognize the dish I had eaten 15 years back. I haven't gone back to Paradise because even that time, I wondered who would go there when other, more humble joints can serve a much much better version of the dish. In fact, the overall food scene here seems to be on cloud nine on its own self created hype. The menu is overpriced for what it offers and there is a take it or leave it vibe. Perhaps there are just too many customers and the eateries couldn't care less.

Thoroughly disappointed, I have explored a few modest places in search of anything remotely authentic. Found a place serving tahari on 7 tombs road, almost bang opposite the entrance of the qutub shahi tombs complex. The taste was very homely and I heard that they do the tahari which I had, better than the biriyani, with the latter only being available much later in the day. The place had a local clientele and that perhaps is the only guarantee of any sort of consistency. I will be going back for more.

It's best to steer clear of any eatery in hyderabad which sports a big reputation. It's clear they have squandered it along the way.

Last edited by hothatchaway : 28th March 2024 at 21:43.
hothatchaway is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 11:57   #6452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownkaiser View Post
Name: Burma Burma
Cuisine: Burmese

Yes agree Burma Burma is an excellent place and the whole vibe inside Sattva Knowledge city makes the waiting time also not so boring!

Last edited by bblost : 29th March 2024 at 12:03. Reason: Reduced the size of quoted texts.
Old 29th March 2024, 12:09   #6453
Team-BHP Support

Completely agree on the amazing food at Burma Burma.

Adding in a couple of pics from a lunch, we had there a couple of weeks back.

It is expensive but the quality of ingredients is top notch and service is amazing.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-whatsapp-image-20240329-12.05.37.jpeg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-whatsapp-image-20240329-12.05.38.jpeg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-whatsapp-image-20240329-12.05.39-1.jpeg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-whatsapp-image-20240329-12.05.39.jpeg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-whatsapp-image-20240329-12.05.40-1.jpeg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-whatsapp-image-20240329-12.05.40.jpeg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-whatsapp-image-20240329-12.05.41-1.jpeg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-whatsapp-image-20240329-12.05.41-2.jpeg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-whatsapp-image-20240329-12.05.41.jpeg
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 20:55   #6454
Distinguished - BHPian

Woah, Can't believe I started this thread 16 years ago .Nice to see it getting revived. I'm still active on the popular social media Hyderabad foodie groups.

Though one thing has changed and one has not- I don't live in Hyderabad anymore but, visit once a year and I'm still the same hard core foodie that I was before.

I was in Hyderabad in December 2023 for 4-days and covered the following :

1. Dhokla (and, lots of sweets) from Balaja Ratanlal in Kacheguda.
2. Packed 3K worth Podi and Pickles from Joshi at Badi Chowdi
3. Mandatory meal at Ohris in Basheerbagh.
4. Mandatory Breakfast at Minerva at Himayathnagar
5. First time had Mutton Biryani at Pista House in Ramkote. It was one of the best biryanis that I had in a long time. Subtle, Flavorful and Zafraani (not dum style). Must visit !!

Not to mention a couple of Team-BHP parties with the old Hyderabad Team BHP gang. Cannot share pics here as they are not forum worthy.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_1879.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_1883.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_1880.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_1920.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_1919.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_1891.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_1896.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_1893.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_1892.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_8777.jpg

P.S : I was in Hyderabad earlier last year too (May 2023), Let me see if I can dig out any pics from that trip.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 21:22   #6455
phi
BHPian

Accidentally chanced upon this thread just before we went on a short trip to Hyderabad last week. During our earlier trips, I had tried Paradise and was left feeling underwhelmed. Last time, after my excited intro around authentic Hyd cuisine, wife and daughter were feeling super excited, and they were also a tad disappointed. (Ya, ya, Paradise is no authentic Hyd cuisine..I get it.. ).

Based on the inputs from this thread, I took them to Pista House this time. Tried their Zafrani Biryani, Pathar Ka Ghosht and Zafrani Chai. The experience was much better than Paradise, and all of us loved the food. And the price of the Biryani was unbelievable. Rs.510 for three of us, and there was enough for us to take back to hotel and have for dinner too. At Cochin, I would pay at least Rs.350 per head for mutton biryani at a similar place.

Also got some of their Osmania and Pista biscuits to take back home. Those were great too.
phi is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks