Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2018, 00:18   #6421
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The biggest misconception being that Hyderabadi Biryani and Hyderabadi dishes in particular are fiery and spicy-which is never the case in reality.
Good point. I didn't find a restaurant in Bangalore that serves authentic Hyderabadi biryani till date. What I've tasted is different versions of this dish. Mostly Andhra biryani is what we get at many places. To be honest I am a big fan of Meghana and Nagarjuna's biryani (both Andhra style) here. At one point the duo was criticised for their incredibly hot and spicy biryani's. They have greatly mellowed down on customers response.
Old 7th July 2018, 02:01   #6422
Senior - BHPian

I am a huge Biryani fan. Sorely missed it while I was studying in Bangalore. Now that I am back in Hyderabad and have had the chance to sample it at most places, I have found that standards have dropped drastically at most places like Paradise (even the hitech city and necklace road branches), Bawarchi, Pakwaan, cafe bahar etc. Places like Jewels of Nizam and even Biryani Darbar for those in secunderabad, are still very nice. Another favourite of mine is Double ka Meetha which unfortunately I am only able to enjoy after Biryani at a few weddings. Anyone know of a place that serves both excellent Biryani and excellent double ka meetha for me to finish up with?
Old 7th July 2018, 07:10   #6423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Anyone know of a place that serves both excellent Biryani and excellent double ka meetha for me to finish up with?
Good (not excellent) biryani and excellent double ka meetha , look no further than Chicha's at Lakdi Ka Pul.
Old 7th July 2018, 10:44   #6424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just realised it is so much easier writing and discussing and asking for information on this thread as opposed to the innumerable foodie threads on fb where almost always the views and discussions eventually either end up on a confrontational tone or a disdainful or despicable tone Always a feel good factor to return to TBHP!
Absolutely. I'm also there on FIHR and post some pics but, never comment on other people's foodie pics fearing an eruption of unnecessary debate

Comparatively, talking here is bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Not sure about Paradise in Hyderabad- the couple of times I had the food it was pretty decent- and I went to the main Secunderabad outlet each time.

But the unfortunate fact is, that Paradise in Bangalore is absolutely pathetic. I went a couple of times after they had opened hope here, but since then, have never even mistakenly wasted my money there. Quite disappointed since Paradise is such a big name otherwise.
Paradise outside of Hyderabad is a mess. Maybe it is the weather, water or something else but, it just does not taste the same including abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Mostly Andhra biryani is what we get at many places. To be honest I am a big fan of Meghana and Nagarjuna's biryani (both Andhra style) here. At one point the duo was criticised for their incredibly hot and spicy biryani's. They have greatly mellowed down on customers response.
On rare occasions I too enjoy the spicy Andhra version of Hyderabadi biryani but, as you rightly said it is just too spicy to get the real taste seeping through our palate

My favorite Andhra food take-away joint is Kakatiya Delux Mess (KDM) and yet to come across anyone who makes a better kakatiya Mutton Fry & Kakatiya Prawns Fry in Hyderabad (Andhra Style) and like Paradise they too are quite consistent except on rare occasions where they made the KPF a little spicier than usual

Anyone knows a comparable or better Andhra take-away joint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Good (not excellent) biryani and excellent double ka meetha , look no further than Chicha's at Lakdi Ka Pul.
Have you tried Peshawar's (Right next door to Chicha) biryani? Which is better? I tried Peshawar biryani during this haleem season and it was quite good

Never had Chicha's biryani as I tried other dishes a few times and they are quite inconsistent and their high prices dont justify the quantity nor the quality. And, not to mention their puny little restaurant in a non-upmarket location

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th July 2018 at 10:46.
Old 7th July 2018, 22:30   #6425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Anyone knows a comparable or better Andhra take-away joint?
I used to frequent Sri Kanya takeaway near Punjagutta for their appetising chicken/mutton curries and fry piece biryani's. They were super spicy but delicious. Beware of ripoff's though. The original is right after NIMS towards Ameerpet.

Another biryani joint I have great memories of is Meghana. Like Sri Kanya they are only takeaway. They are located on the immediate left lane after you enter enter Vengal Rao Nagar road from SR Nagar junction main road. You can also take the service road to reach there. They are famous for their chicken biryani. The taste isn't typical. Very aromatic and delectable. Veg biryani is only plain flavoured basmati rice, nothing else.

Come to think of it, I love Meghana biryani's. A desirable coincidence.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th July 2018 at 20:36. Reason: Rule #11.
Old 9th July 2018, 11:10   #6426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did try out the Paradise in Indiranagar and IMHO, it was not way off the mark from the one in Hyderabad.
Appreciate your views, but my observation on the Paradise in Bangalore was not from the perspective of the biryani found in the Nadinis and Nagarjunas here. In fact, I was never a fan of that kind of spicy biryani, and appreciate the milder and more flavourful biryanis much more (Lucknow, Kolkata and Hyderabad). I have also been travelling to Hyderabad numerous times over the past several years, and no visit to Hyderabad is ever complete without sampling biryani from the better known joints- including Paradise and Bahar, which have been consistent favourites for me.

Haven't been to the Paradise outlet in Indiranagar, rather went to the one in JP Nagar which is closer to my house. Perhaps I was over- excited that Paradise was finally opening in my city, and expectations were really high But I did come away as a biryani lover who was sorely disappointed. It had little to do with comparing tastes with other biryanis, it was just poor quality that irked me. Maybe it was a bad day at office for the chef- who knows!
Old 9th July 2018, 12:56   #6427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
I used to frequent Sri Kanya takeaway near Punjagutta for their appetising chicken/mutton curries and fry piece biryani's. They were super spicy but delicious. Beware of ripoff's though.
There is a Sri Kanya take-away counter in Kondapur also, near Aparna Towers. From the crowds seen there, I'm assuming that its a branch of the original or atleast a worthy rip off.

By the way, Zomato shows a Chicha's.in at Miyapur. I would love if its a branch of the one a LKP.
Old 11th July 2018, 20:12   #6428
Senior - BHPian

Zaika-e-Hyderabad

Finally made it to Zaiqa-e-Hyderabad and just one word about the food-simply fabulous.I saw loads of not-so-favourable reviews on Zomato-which definitely planted seeds of doubt in my head,but once the food reached the mouths-the taste killed all the seeds (and for once we were happy that the seeds did not bear any fruits!)
We were 6 adults and one child.

This one for sure is a pure,unadulterated Hyderabadi restaurant when it came to the matter inside the menu(the left handside).We ordered Haleem,Zaffrani Tikkas,Malai Tikka and the Paneer 65.Tala hua Ghosht,Lagan ka Murgh performed the duties of the main course.The fresh lime soda provided the customary fizz.

We had decided to do everything the true blue Hyderabadi way that night,so there was no question of us leaving the place without indulging in the Curd Rice equivalent of a Sadya-The Kachchi Yakhni Biryani.We had literally stopped eating biryani outside since a long time, simply because we had gotten bored of it but tonight was the night.This biryani was simply sublime,of all the ones that we have eaten in Hyderabad,this has to be the best till date.One portion can easily satisfy two/three hungry souls and if one tends to go there just to eat biryani and nothing else,then one portion should be enough for two(Quantity here is subject to hunger and appetite risks,please gauge the quantity on the plate and not on the menu document)

The Badam ka Khund and Double ka Meetha got everyone to switch off their Fitbit counters! The Badam ka Khund as mentioned by Mobike just simply explodes in your mouth and leaves you wondering what on earth was it that went through your mouth.

Quantity in each portion was sufficient(of course not the kind that you get in Paradise or the likes)but for a fine-dine,it was pretty good.Service was definitely top notch and non-obtrusive.Service was super quick too.What is commendable and noteworthy is that the menu has good options for the vegetarians too,a welcome and much needed difference in today's carnivorous eating out scene

The Kabab Story apparently has become a once upon a time story now.They have closed it down,but the KS menu is available on request in ZEH now.The rooftop is given out for groups of more than 20 people and is only on request.

The damages to the card statement is around INR 5500(no service charges included in the bill and we opted for filtered water so no clue if bottled water is priced at MRP or not).Yes Hyd_Traveller-deep pockets needed
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20180707wa0013.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20180707wa0000.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20180707wa0003.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20180707wa0004.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20180707wa0007.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20180707wa0008.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20180707wa0009.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20180707wa0011.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20180707wa0012.jpg  

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 11th July 2018 at 20:19.
Old 16th July 2018, 18:45   #6429
Senior - BHPian

Peiskos,East Marredpally

Takeaway order

The newest kid on the block this side of the town.The place is situated above Indus Ind bank as you enter East Marredpally from SP Road.

The interiors have been done up very well,food is average-purely my personal opinion,quantities are miserable and the prices are definitely on the expensive side of things(I guess you are allowed to do that once you declare you are a fine dine-just that I would have loved it if they had backed up the fine dine tag with some efficient service and ambience).Most of the veg starters are priced around INR265+, the non veg ones are at 375+ and the main course veg/non veg are all priced upwards of 390+,the mutton biryani was INR 430+

Packaging was bad,the already rationed Dal Makhani spilled all outside the container as the food was packed in gift covers!Not sure what was the logic-guess they have not got their takeaway act in place yet.The tikkas were good,the dal makhani was at its greasiest best-not reccomended.Rotis were not worth the INR50 tag.Overall it was not a great experience.I am assuming the place would improve with time,maybe some competition could do this place some good,as the owner is heavily invested into the running of the place and is very keen,but if only the chefs and the staff were to back up his enthusiasm and zeal,the place would be really amazing.

https://www.zomato.com/hyderabad/pei...-secunderabad/
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:35   #6430
BHPian

Re: What are some iconic restaurants/eateries in your city?

Hyderabad

1. Irani cafe's chai, biscuits and their counterpart biryanis.
2. Chutneys/Minerva for breakfast
3. 4 Seasons for Kebabs/Middle Eastern cuisine(somewhat)
4. Spicy Venue and Sri Kakatiya Deluxe Mess for Andhra fare
5. Sagar Papaji for Punjabi cuisine
6. Nan King/Hai King for desi Chinese.
Old 29th July 2019, 10:23   #6431
HPP
BHPian

I'm in town and have my usual spots to eat, but anything new in the last year that I should know about? Genre, ambiance and price don't matter, just taste (and I guess some level of cleanliness)
Old 29th July 2019, 11:09   #6432
BHPian

If you are into typical Andhra cuisine, be sure to check out 'Subbiah gari ruchulu' above Ratnadeep near the Botanical garden signal at Kondapur. Have not been there personally but my family and parents have been there and they were all praises for the taste and VFM factor.
Old 21st March 2021, 13:01   #6433

Have a bunch of suggestions here based on the cuisine:

> For authentic Turkish, you can try Levant Hyderabad
> For the best Chicken 65 in town, you can try Akbar Hotel at Charminar. Their Chicken 65 with Waraki Paratha is too good
> For a good dessert, you can try Shehtoot Malai at Milan Juice Center at Charminar
> If you are a Kunafa fan, you can try it from Baklava Station. They have really amazing Cheese Kunafa
> Their is a new kid on the block when it comes to the best brownies in Hyderabad, you can try Sugar Blushed they only have a pick-up or home delivery and you can order via the website sugarblushed.com
> For the best Pathar ka Gosht you can try Chichas or Shahi Dastarkhwan
> If you have sweet tooth, Simply South serves the best apricot delight dessert in town.
ammarkanchwala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 11:38   #6434

Looking for raw beef in Hyderabad

Hey guys, I'm on the lookout for places that sell good quality raw beef in Hyderabad. Doesn't have to be a physical shop, could be online too. So if you have any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it if you share them here.

There's quite a lot of beef shops appearing on Google maps but I'm a little hesitant to try out a random one due to food safety / hygiene concerns. Hardly any reviews doesn't help the cause either.

A quick Google search lead me to meatigo.com. wondering if anyone's tried beef from here?

Thanks, and sorry if my question offends anyone. Just need my burger fix from time to time
Old 7th June 2021, 19:23   #6435
BHPian

Re: Looking for raw beef in Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARaymond View Post
There's quite a lot of beef shops appearing on Google maps but I'm a little hesitant to try out a random one due to food safety / hygiene concerns. Hardly any reviews doesn't help the cause either.
Thanks, and sorry if my question offends anyone. Just need my burger fix from time to time
I have been in the same boat as you for the last 10 years. Hyderabad is not the easiest place to buy Beef (i.e. you need to know your meat cut, go to a roadside vendor and sweat it out). There is no good online vendor for beef as far as I know; I don't think even Meatigo delivers beef in Hyderabad - they do in some other cities, but not in Hyderabad. Around 2019 there was an app called Everyday Meat, check with them - they had suspended deliveries during the beginning of the last lockdown, but I see that their Instagram is active again.

On the supermarkets front, Spar and Hyper City used to have good hygienically packed beef cubes earlier, but vanished off the shelves some 3-4 years back. I understand it had more to do with the sentiments around the consumption of beef and the management changes in these organizations. The only supermarket that sells Beef and Pork now is Q Mart, but even they don't sell fresh meat in these categories. I cant remember if beef patties are available, but pork is definitely available and beef shanks are also there.

Last edited by autotranny : 7th June 2021 at 19:25.
autotranny is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed