Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 10:56   #1516
BHPian

Sure these have been mentioned before but here are my all time favorites thanks to growing up in Himayatnagar:

Plain Dosa at Gayatri Bhavan. The coconut chutney, Sambar and the other red colored chutney are all perfect

Chicken Burger (with free chips ) at King n Cardinal (the original)

Chicken Biryani at Cafe Bahar

Last edited by tacho : 26th April 2010 at 11:08.
Old 26th April 2010, 11:34   #1517
Senior - BHPian

Mayur??? is that you dude???

Oh! man its good to see you after a long while!! Its amazing to see you surface once every two years only this time I see you for a long period from 2009 till 2010, still going strong. I hope this stays that way!!! Anyways congrats for the Corvette, what an upgrade from a Mustang!!!

Yes indeed these are some of the best you can get in Himayathnagar!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
Sure these have been mentioned before but here are my all time favorites thanks to growing up in Himayatnagar:

Plain Dosa at Gayatri Bhavan. The coconut chutney, Sambar and the other red colored chutney are all perfect

Old 26th April 2010, 11:39   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post

Why are you guys missing on Universal Bakery? To me that is one of the best bakeries anywhere in the country
Old 26th April 2010, 15:47   #1519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
The Jowar roti meals @ kamat in Abids(Ramakrishna theatre) takes me home to north karnataka.
Another one for Mangalore style would be the Shanbag hotels chain (new one in panjagutta next to loft is much cleaner than the earlier one which was next to central).

BTW, happened to visit B'lore 2 weekends ago and ended up spending whole of Saturday visiting all the authentic joints in chamrajpet-basavangudi-NR colony areas -> Vada Sambar@Roti Ghar, Palak rice@SLV, Benne(makkhan) dosa @ dosa camp and button idli & coffee @ UD's.

Vijay
Kamat adjoining RamaKrishna Theatre in Abid between GPO and Mozamjahi Market serves the best Kannada thali you can get in Hyderabad.

It is absolute VFM.

Do go early else be prepared to wait for a table.

I waited 20 minutes on a sunday for lunch because I reached the place at 12:50 pm.

I did not find Punjagutta Shanbagh food to have any authenticity.
Old 30th April 2010, 05:20   #1520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Mayur??? is that you dude???

Oh! man its good to see you after a long while!! Its amazing to see you surface once every two years only this time I see you for a long period from 2009 till 2010, still going strong. I hope this stays that way!!! Anyways congrats for the Corvette, what an upgrade from a Mustang!!!

Wow Raj, you remember me! Thanks and I've definitely been making an effort recently to stay in touch with T-Bhp recently. After the 2 drives I came to in Summer 2007, I've been to India only once (Feb 09), was busy with my brother's wedding and there were no Team-BHP meets that time that I could attend. I hope to visit again later this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Why are you guys missing on Universal Bakery? To me that is one of the best bakeries anywhere in the country
Well, KC was within walking distance for me and luckily, I liked the food there more anyway.

If anything, during my days, Universal was more popular and KC was the underdog. But, I am a KC guy through and through

Last edited by tacho : 30th April 2010 at 05:21.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:14   #1521
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
OK - need decent ambience( not necessarily too plush etc)..wife & 7 months kid go along with me - can u suggest me a decent place to have decent andhra meals /thali then...
Try Chutney's in Jubilee Hills. I'm not sure they have exactly what you want, but it's probably a good option for you. I was there a few months ago and it was very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Yoko's was sold a month ago and the new owner decided to do away with the speciality status and opted for a regular plain vanilla multi-cuisine menu.

I was there on Sat and walked out as their menu is bereft of meat - they now have only two sizzlers of mutton, rest is all poultry or vegetarian sizzlers + the usual Chinese, Indian, Kebabs, etc.

Cheers,
Truly sad news.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:09   #1522
Distinguished - BHPian

April 28th :-

Me, Rajesh Rawal and Milecruncher visited "Nightflight" to taste their snacks. We ordered :-

Apollo Fish
French Fries
Chicken Barrah Kebab

Did we order anything else?? I cannot recollect...LOL

The food was good. I like this place, decent ambience and food is nice. Will go back again.

April 29th :-

Me and Milecruncher decided to eat biryani at "Four Seasons". Unfortunately, due to our animated conversations we were off time limit ( >10:30PM in the night) so we decided to hop across the road to

Hotel Niagara. It was bad decision

We ordered Chicken Masala and Rotis and Meat Biryani

Chicken Masala was just about average. If my mood was bad now, i would rate it "below average".

Rotis were big, cold and rubber-like

Meat Biryani, was cold and tasteless. I had a couple of spoons and decided to stop.

Overall, Niagara at Tolichowki serves crappy food. Dont ever go there

April 30th :-

Decided to binge on some grilled sandwiches and Pav Bhaji at Mayur followed by a nice movie

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th April 2010 at 17:11.
Old 4th May 2010, 13:55   #1523
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, i forgot to mention. On April 27th, been to " Methi's" for dinner.

Ordered :-

Veg Tandoor Platter
Veg Chatpat
Rotis
1 Mocktail

Damages : Rs.470

I didnt like this experience. The food was pretty ordinary and it didnt tingle my taste buds

May 2nd, went out for dinner with wifey. This time it was at Sholay, Begumpet

We got the following :-

2 Thumbs-Up
1 Mocktail
Bhuna Kukkad ( Chicken Gravy dish-Rs.200)
Rotis ( Rs.20 each)
Meat Biryani ( Rs.175)

I must confess this hotel is fast becoming my favorite. This time around i was glad to see quite a few tables full on sunday evening. Their ambience is superb and AC was chilling us to death ( very nice)

Coming to the food, each and every dish is prepared differently and its not like use same gravy and just a different dish name.

Bhuna Kukkad was not spicy but had some amazing flavour.

Rotis were superb, perfectly crisp and you can almost feel the dough in your mouth...LOL

I am a big fan of their biryani. So wont comment about it

If you havent tried, check it out. I am sure you wont be disappointed.

P.S: Its a record of sorts, except monday i think i ate almost every day of last week out.
Old 4th May 2010, 15:40   #1524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I This time it was at Sholay, Begumpet
where in begumpet ,directions ,landmark .would want to eat there sometime during this week
Old 4th May 2010, 15:44   #1525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
where in begumpet ,directions ,landmark .would want to eat there sometime during this week
Opposite lane to Shopper Stop. Its called Chikoti Lane and is part of RGV Hotels group.
Old 5th May 2010, 09:58   #1526
BHPian

Its Different!

Yesterday evening my roomie and me happened to go to 'chawla's chicken'

now these are the same guys of the chawla chicken ludhiana fame(featured on many food related programs as well) ,having their local franchise in hyderabad.

tried their famous creme chicken (white gravy with lot of kali mirch in it) and romali roti's.

i must say the gravy is certainly different ,you usually would expect white gravy to be on the sweet side ,this was not..i quite liked it to be honest.

the ambience is okish! (located near malaysian township kphb)

what i also noticed was gemini music with all the latest telegu songs being played here . i am sure uncle chawla in ludhiana would have never imagined that

total damage was about inr 200 for 2 people.
Old 8th May 2010, 08:44   #1527
Distinguished - BHPian

Papaji ka Dhaba........Again !

Been to Papaji Ka Dhaba on Thursday evening for dinner.

Decided to try their newly inducted kebabs so ordered the following :-

Chicken Sheek Kebab ( Rs.130)
Chilly Fish ( Rs.180)
Meat Biryani ( Rs.125)
Thumbs-Up ( Rs.20)

Chicken Sheek Kebab was nicely presented and tasted just average

Chilly Fish is superb

Meat Biryani was outstanding ( I am in love with Papaji style biryani) as it was freshly out of the handi

Damages : Rs.450
Old 10th May 2010, 10:50   #1528
BHPian

Padharo mare desh!

went to 'jharokha' which is part of dadu's in himayat nagar yesterday afternoon.

this place is exclusive for rajasthan dining.

ordered the rajasthani thali ,which had all the jazz of daal baati churma, gatte ka sabzi ,bajre ki roti, khicdi , tomato sev wali daal .

inr 375/- per thali with unlimited serving( if you ask me the food being so rich there is no room for any top ups)

this place only serves veg food,ambience is nice ,they have all the rajasthani decor and one fellow playing the raavan aata (some type of voilin) .

not a bad deal i would say.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:44   #1529
Distinguished - BHPian

Hillram went there on Saturday, Straightdrive ( Lakshman) went there on Sunday early evening. Mobike008 went there on Sunday late evening.

What the heck is all that about??

Its about my new favorite haunt " Sholay"

Went there last night for dinner "AGAIN"....sometimes i repeat myself in action so many times, i too get fed up

This time ordered

1 Thumbs-up
1 Bathinda De Kukkad ( Chicken Gravy Dish)_ This was simple outstanding
Rotis
Meat Biryani_ I love their Biryani too

Total Damages : Rs.730

Ram/Lakshman, Brothers your feedback please?
Old 10th May 2010, 13:40   #1530
BHPian

Been long since i've ventured out for Lunch/Dinner with my family. Wandered out on Saturday for dinner and reached Waves, Hotel Sohail, Malakpet as we were returning home after visting a couple of cousins.

An ambient place, when planning to dine out with family in the Malakpet/Dilsukh Nagar region. If you are looking for some good quality food in that area, then this is the ultimate choice.

As you are aware of my love for food and that is clearly visible, when you look at my profile picture

Order:
Tandoori Prawns
Afghani Chicken
Masala Kulcha
Butter Naan
Boneless Mutton Biryani
2 x Kinley Mineral Water

Total Dent: Rs. 665/-

Tandoori Prawns: Tender Prawns lapped up in Tandoori Masala and heartily cooked in a Tandoor to give it an earthly rustic flavor.

Afghani Chicken: Not on the spicier side but got it custom made with less spice and more of tinge.

Masala Kulcha: Good stuffing with ample amount of dry fruits thrust in. For the first time, I’ve seen a Masala Kulcha topped with cheese on top. It was lovely though.

Boneless Mutton Biryani: Nothing much to write about except it was simply MMMMMMMMMMMMMM….. Melt in the mouth type of meat. Awesome taste with equally tasty mirchi-ka-saalan.

Would love visiting it again soon and this time alone ‘cos I want to enjoy the Tandoori Prawns on the spicier side.

Avoiding spicy food as my wifey has been instructed by doctor to avoid spicy food for a couple of days. Why don’t doctors give a clear timeline than saying Couple of Days? Have always observed, these COUPLE OF DAYS always run into 3-4 months for sure

Mashoor Ice Cream at Famous
This was followed by customary ice cream session at Famous. As is the clock was slowly ticking towards 11:30, we were skeptical, if we would be able to have ice cream at famous, given the time it would take us to reach Nampally from Malakpet.

Reached Famous as soon as we could and ordered the ever fav. Mango Ice Cream, these pot ice creams never cease to entice me. Ordered 2 Mango Pots in the initial round and even before she could complete her 1st, I was already on my 3rd and by the time she completed her 2nd, I was way way ahead of her. I was in my 6th .

So, it was all 8 Pot Ice Creams, so Rs. 96/- with a satisfied tummy

I wanted to have one more, but had to avoid it as the time was not permitting me to have a couple of more ice creams.... would have loved a couple of scoops of Litchi Ice Cream too... Litchi, here I come soon.

Most Viewed