Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 20:27   #1636
BHPian

sigh choices choices
i am now being persuaded to go to ohri's serengati ...so vs zafran nirvana and serengati ?? which is better?
Old 21st May 2010, 21:14   #1637
Senior - BHPian

downtwon - actually mid-town is the happening place for food

You guys have almost hit the nail on the head.

I have lived in Hyderabad since 1989. Abids for over a decade, Banjara Hills for about 5 years, Jubilee Hills for about 3 years and Begumpet for over 3 years.

The best food joints are to be had in the part of the city within the rough circle formed by Rd. No.1 Banjara Hills, Begumpet, Secunderabad, Chikkadpally, Sultan Bazar and Lakdi-ka-pul. The ones in the old city like Shahdaab, Madina and Sheraan are good too but fall outside this circle.

The new breed of eateries in the newer parts of town are either pure hype (with a price to match) or dish out low priced tripe.

Unfortunately there are no good continental, Thai, Goan etc. restaurants in Hyd. IMHO one cannot serve good continental, Thai or other cuisines with a palette of only panner and chicken ! Marriot does have decent fare but food is typical sanitised 5 star stuff.

Another sore spot for me is the lack of good bar-tenders in town. No one seems to make good old fashioned cocktails and insist on watering down the Mojitos and Caipiroshkas .

Friends from the Kukatpally area were kind enough to introduce me to a few eateries in that area but IMHO none are upto the mark. The only reason to eat there is because one happens to be in that part of town and does not want to drive into town.

May I suggest that for our next meet, we go to a place like Ranjit or the one that used to be above Chermas and then move on to Pappaji Ka Dhabha?

Another great place used to be Urvashi opposite NIMS, wonder how it is now. Ideal for us as everyone there is usually very noisy!

For those whose palate is inclined towards spice Mohinis was always a good bet.

Cheers,
Old 21st May 2010, 22:42   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Have an office party at Swagat De Royal, Kondapur from 6:30pm onwards.
This is my first time there, anybody been there before? How's the food?
people only go, under duress, for office parties - dont think you will find anything special there.
Old 22nd May 2010, 07:19   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Swagat De Royal

I was in Hitec City meeting an old batch-mate of mine from college and wanted to go a restaurant with a decent watering hole. Was suggested Swagat De Royal and since the place looks okayish from outside, decided to try it out.

Since both of us were not very hungry we just had
1 Chilly Chicken
1 Reshmi Kabab
2 King of Good Times
1 Buddy

Damages: Rs 972/-

Verdict: The place is noisy with mostly large office groups dining because of the buffet. The good is just about ok, nothing spectalur but prices are on the higher side.

P.S: The Con Job: The restaurant has placed a bottle of new mineral water brand "Qua" with a neck card similar to ones you see in the hotel rooms stating "with compliments". But no such thing here. The card at the very bottom in a very small print has it written "Bottle priced at Rs.60/-" Be aware of this when you visit this place.

P.P.S: They levy 5% Service Charge on the bill straight away so no need to tip either.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 22nd May 2010 at 07:21.
Old 22nd May 2010, 09:35   #1640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
I have been there once for a party and I found it lousy.

Do report back your opinion.

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
people only go, under duress, for office parties - dont think you will find anything special there.
You guys were right. There was a large spread and i didnt get to eat much because i was busy mingling with folks ( 250 people were present) and dancing my blues away for a long time.

Whatever snacks and few dishes in main course that i tried was nothing short of crap. Tasteless and food cooked with no passion.

I will not go there intentionally and eat there in future.

Ani, you didnt come up to the terrace last evening? I would have introduced you to some hot numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
sigh choices choices
i am now being persuaded to go to ohri's serengati ...so vs zafran nirvana and serengati ?? which is better?
Been there a few times in Ohris, Serengeti food is nothing great.

You can go there just for the ambience experience. Their theme is based on the popular Rain Forest Cafe Theme ( I been to rain forest cafes in Boston and Dallas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
May I suggest that for our next meet, we go to a place like Ranjit or the one that used to be above Chermas and then move on to Pappaji Ka Dhabha?

Another great place used to be Urvashi opposite NIMS, wonder how it is now. Ideal for us as everyone there is usually very noisy!

For those whose palate is inclined towards spice Mohinis was always a good bet.

Cheers,
Ravvs, now you have touched a tingling nerve there.

The restuarant above Abids Chermas was one of our family's most popular resturant ( BROADWAY) which unfortunately got burnt down in a fire.

Their ambience/ particular smell in that restuarant and food was mindblowing.

Even to this day, my mausaji ( indian govt beauracrat) who totes 42 passports whenever he visits us says, Avi i still miss broadway and cannot forget their GINGER FISH, the best that you can get in the entire world

Urvashi used to be my favorite joint in one point of town. The upper portion used to have cheaper rates and if you go down into the dungeon then ambience was slightly better but a bit expensive.

Their food was also very good.

From my experience, you get great food in mid-size bars ( one example being NIGHTFLIGHT in Himayathnagar)
Old 24th May 2010, 12:42   #1641
Distinguished - BHPian

Chilled out Sunday Evening

After the hectic saturday evening. It was a nice leisurely sunday evening with a few friends on sunday afternoon.

Got some food (Tandoori Chicken, Methi Chicken, Kheema Parathas and Mutton Biryani) from Reshmi's

In the evening, we didnt feel like going anywhere fancy so we decided to take forward the original plan that was discussed on saturday evening and went out for some quick grub at "Papaji Ka Dhaba"

Saturday night folks, i again had chicken tikka masala and rotis last evening. Papaji was jampacked last evening. Wheww!

I love Papaji and Reshmi. Two restuarants that hardly can ever go wrong
Old 25th May 2010, 13:53   #1642
Senior - BHPian

This new place called Around the Corner is pretty good,its opposite the Jubilee Check Post Petrol Pump.Opposite the Movenpicks & Subways.It used to be a place called Deli Fresh,loved the parathas & sandwiches & shawarmas
Old 25th May 2010, 15:38   #1643
BHPian

finally went to zafraan exotica, was in a rush so took the buffet for 375/- , had a lot of starters , the nonveg section of buffet had only 3 dishes but hey i was already full with the starters part of it .... good food

WA - 10/10 , thanks guys
Old 25th May 2010, 16:32   #1644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
This new place called Around the Corner is pretty good,its opposite the Jubilee Check Post Petrol Pump.Opposite the Movenpicks & Subways.It used to be a place called Deli Fresh,loved the parathas & sandwiches & shawarmas
I am particularly interested to know about the shawarmas. Are they good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
finally went to zafraan exotica, was in a rush so took the buffet for 375/- , had a lot of starters , the nonveg section of buffet had only 3 dishes but hey i was already full with the starters part of it .... good food

WA - 10/10 , thanks guys
Glad to know you enjoyed. So was this a lunch buffet?
Old 25th May 2010, 18:43   #1645
BHPian

yes a lunch buffet , for next couple of weeks i cannot go to family dinner outings
Old 26th May 2010, 14:38   #1646
Distinguished - BHPian

Its been quite a while. Planning to go for a dinner tomorrow (5/27).

Though at home, folks like only north indian food. And, if i am able to convince them for a chinese/thai meal, which one is better?

Grand WOK
Thai Express ( been there once, liked the food but quantity is below average, maybe i am spoilt by Ming Court's servings)
Isda Thai

Also can someone point me towards a good place for Lebanese food?
Old 26th May 2010, 15:25   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
couple of joints @ tolichowki is what i know. i somehow also like the turkish food in the foodcourt opposite l.v prasad.
Old 26th May 2010, 17:35   #1648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
couple of joints @ tolichowki is what i know. i somehow also like the turkish food in the foodcourt opposite l.v prasad.
Tolichowki joints, my mom will cringe just at that proposal.

And, i reckon thats the food court where we had a turkish lunch together once but, i dont even recall what we had......hehe!
Old 26th May 2010, 17:47   #1649
BHPian

It was called Mediterranean Cuisine, which is no longer there and has been replaced with Fisherman's Fare. However, much of the menu is still the same.

Still remember the Sarma Beyti Kebab
Old 27th May 2010, 07:26   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
How come you forgot your very own Kibbeh?

Most Viewed