Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:39   #1501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Well, if you had the original 'kandi podi or kandi gunda' as it is called, it would have been orange in colour, and is spicy enough to set your a.s.s. on fire. Hence the term gun powder.

Reminds me of a pal of mine who was asked by US customs if he was carrying any food. Normally Telugu guys carry lots of kandi podi with them to the US. He was about to say 'only gun powder' till better sense prevailed on him
Well, I have a different opinion here. In northern parts of karnataka bordering AP, we eat lot of spicy food and our "Senga Hindi" is staple. Senga Hindi is prepared by pounding Peanuts with lots of chilli powder and garlic till the mixture turns oily. We eat this with almost everything and the popular combination is curds, senga hindi and raw onions with Jowar Roti (Jolada Rotti). As vnabhi mentioned, it definately flames your #$** if you are not used to such hot food and hence it was originally called "Gun Powder". Gradually, all other powders entered this league though they all miss this fieriness in them.
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:40   #1502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
The Jowar roti meals @ kamat in Abids(Ramakrishna theatre) takes me home to north karnataka.
Another one for Mangalore style would be the Shanbag hotels chain (new one in panjagutta next to loft is much cleaner than the earlier one which was next to central).
Oh Yeah, Jowar Thali at Ramakrishna is one place for Kannada Cuisine. I had their Thali many times and found it just about OK.

They also serve Andhra Thali, looks nice but, never had it though.

Whereas, Shanbhag used to be a favorite with our family since many years and their sambhar has a unique taste. But, offlate their quality of food isnt authentic udipi style anymore.

I wouldnt go to Shanbhag unless someone forces me to.

@Whitesquall, you touched a touchy topic there. I am a big, big, big and super big fan of Shenga Hindi and we cook at home regularly. There use to be a time when i would not eat a single meal if its not their as accompainment to "every" meal at home.

I love it plain and simple, with curds and even better we give it little tadka after mixing it with curds. Its nothing short of heaven (for me)

Infact, i had it twice last week during my dinner

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd April 2010 at 15:45.
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:21   #1503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
All i can say, Famous has its own charm and can be had once in a while. While my favorite icecreams still remain from Havemore at Basheerbagh.
Mine too!!! It is the most frequented ice-cream outlets by us!!! I like the bulls eye in particular. Its similar like a sizzler!! Ice-cream on a cake!!
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:32   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
@Whitesquall, you touched a touchy topic there. I am a big, big, big and super big fan of Shenga Hindi and we cook at home regularly. There use to be a time when i would not eat a single meal if its not their as accompainment to "every" meal at home.

I love it plain and simple, with curds and even better we give it little tadka after mixing it with curds. Its nothing short of heaven (for me)

Infact, i had it twice last week during my dinner
Mobike008: I know you have relatives in Gulbarga!! that's the link you see! Yeah, tadkawala senga hindi, it's called "Dahi Chutney" at our place (in bars)! I luv it too!
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:00   #1505
BHPian

Kritunga

A favourite of mine for local cuisine is Kritunga. It is located in the lane next to Model House in Panjagutta. They apparently have 3 more branches in city (Madhapaur and ???). Their specialty is Rayalaseema cuisine (Kritunga apparently refers to the geography between Krishna and Tungabhadra rivers, i.e. Rayalaseema). The seating capacity and ambience are pretty average, hence most people parcel the food from here.

Try their specialties (Natukodi pulusu/Talakaya kura/chicken or mutton curry/guttivankaya kura/Mulagakaya kura) with raagi mudda or jowari roti. It also serves biryanis (chicken/mutton/veg).
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:04   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
A favourite of mine for local cuisine is Kritunga. It is located in the lane next to Model House in Panjagutta. They apparently have 3 more branches in city (Madhapaur and ???). Their specialty is Rayalaseema cuisine (Kritunga apparently refers to the geography between Krishna and Tungabhadra rivers, i.e. Rayalaseema). The seating capacity and ambience are pretty average, hence most people parcel the food from here.

Try their specialties (Natukodi pulusu/Talakaya kura/chicken or mutton curry/guttivankaya kura/Mulagakaya kura) with raagi mudda or jowari roti. It also serves biryanis (chicken/mutton/veg).
I had mentioned about this joint (Madhapur) couple of months back! You have missed mentioning their Gongura Chicken/Mutton! And if I remember, they call that Raagi Mudda as Sankati or something?? There Bhindi Masala is also good.
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:00   #1507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Mine too!!! It is the most frequented ice-cream outlets by us!!! I like the bulls eye in particular. Its similar like a sizzler!! Ice-cream on a cake!!
My mom is fida over Bulls-Eye from Havemore. She has it atleast once a month. That's her only indulgence

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Mobike008: I know you have relatives in Gulbarga!! that's the link you see! Yeah, tadkawala senga hindi, it's called "Dahi Chutney" at our place (in bars)! I luv it too!
Hehe! That's right.

We cook Kannadiga and Marathi cuisine both at home since mom has Kannadiga and Marathi roots
Old 23rd April 2010, 09:36   #1508
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening, on the spur of the moment Me, Ravveeendra and Rajesh Rawal and few other friends decided to go to MIX PUB, Himayathnagar to watch the Deccan Charger Semi Final.

Though i live in the area, never went there. Its exactly like TOUCH ( in terms of area) but, I felt has better quality of music and is comparatively "cheap" in terms of pricing.

Forget the outcome of the match ( It had all trappings of a match-fix), we had a good time.

They had an irresistable offer ( Unlimited Beverage + Unilimited Snacks) that we simply could not resist

We had 2 Chicken Starters and 2 Veg Starters and it was quite nice. It was served typical pub-style with toothpicks et. all.

They have an even better offer during Sat/Sun ( 12pm-7pm) : Rs.351++ for unlimited snacks and beverages.

Now that i liked their food, i'll go back there again soon for a chilled afternoon session
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:04   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Last evening, on the spur of the moment Me, Ravveeendra and Rajesh Rawal and few other friends decided to go to MIX PUB, Himayathnagar to watch the Deccan Charger Semi Final.
Yup that place is real value for money for sure. Sad chargers did not win ( total fixed match ).. it was also good to meet up with the owner of 'rayalseema ruchulu' my fav andhra food joint.

will go there again to see mumbai v/s chennai on sunday
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:47   #1510
J.Ravi

During my stay at Hyderabad a few years back, I used to frequent Ambi's Cafe, located opposite Nampally Railway Station, for breakfast and meals. The food was good and VFM. But, the place was always crowded. I tasted good ice-creams at nearby Taj Ice-cream Parlour.

Old 24th April 2010, 22:06   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Spent some time at SVM @ Jubilee Hills today after a hard day's work on interviewing people!

I liked the place. The bowling experience was far better than Crocodile near clock tower Secunderabad! Had some nice snacks ordered and the 'chick'en(s) were really good!

No idea about the bill as I did not pay for it! LOL!

P.S: Sad to see so many school kids splurging their dad's money at this place!
Old 25th April 2010, 00:33   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
The bowling experience was far better than Crocodile near clock tower Secunderabad!
I believe it was Aligator
Old 25th April 2010, 03:14   #1513
Senior - BHPian

Yoko's - R.I.P.

Yoko's was sold a month ago and the new owner decided to do away with the speciality status and opted for a regular plain vanilla multi-cuisine menu.

I was there on Sat and walked out as their menu is bereft of meat - they now have only two sizzlers of mutton, rest is all poultry or vegetarian sizzlers + the usual Chinese, Indian, Kebabs, etc.

Cheers,
Old 25th April 2010, 08:15   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I believe it was Aligator
Aaahhh! Thanks for the correction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I was there on Sat and walked out as their menu is bereft of meat - they now have only two sizzlers of mutton, rest is all poultry or vegetarian sizzlers + the usual Chinese, Indian, Kebabs, etc.
This is not good!
Time to find another sizzler joint!
Old 26th April 2010, 10:14   #1515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Yoko's was sold a month ago and the new owner decided to do away with the speciality status and opted for a regular plain vanilla multi-cuisine menu.....
This is really a sad news!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
This is not good!
Time to find another sizzler joint!
Yes yes, now that I have promised someone to treat with good sizzlers!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks