Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 16:00   #5281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
For the benefit of people in and around Kukatpally-Miyapur-Malaysian Township areas,the new Manjeera Mall on the JNTU-Hitec City road would be ready shortly and the place has an entire lower level of Hyper City,2 levels of Shoppers Stop and 2 levels of the famed Multiplex Chain named Cinepolis-5 screens.
in keeping with the topic of this thread, any good restaurants (other than *shudder* an Ohri food court) over there?
Old 5th February 2013, 16:06   #5282
Senior - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
in keeping with the topic of this thread, any good restaurants (other than *shudder* an Ohri food court) over there?
Sorry,no inside info on the restaurant part.there is a food court though not sure if its Ohris
Old 5th February 2013, 23:37   #5283

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Anyways, long story short, I am with people who like ala-carte and will fight tooth and nail with people who say they love buffets...LOL !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
+1 to that! I too detest buffets because they have the same, or similar, menu where ever I go. And as you said only 3 or 4 items would be worth a refill.

... the only buffet I really feel is VFM is the one at Indijoe. Many of the items are usually different from those in other places.

OMG !!! Looks like I've stirred a hornets' nest by touching this topic ! I already have two senior and seasoned BHPians eyeing my dental furniture and fangs !!!

Relax guys, I'm only new here, and I'm sure I won't have to risk life and limb just because I said I liked a particular buffet spread. I totally agree with you that most of the times what you get in the name of buffets is not worth another glance, but a few buffets are consistantly good, its them that I refer to - like the Square at Paryatak bhavan, Indijoe's, The Square at Novotel, the coffee shop of Hotel Golkonda - Skylight, etc etc...

Just like all buffets aren't great, similarly all a-la-carte places aren't exactly epicurean ! I love the flexibility and the economic sense that a GOOD buffet spread offers. And for that, if you still want my teeth and nails... come on over, be my guest ! In the end its only our love of good food, thats what plays the magic for us. A-la-carte, buffet, 5 star, bandi star, no star, street food, home-cooked food, whatever. If its good, we're game, the rest is just adjectives.
Old 6th February 2013, 13:05   #5284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda2k View Post
Relax guys, I'm only new here, and I'm sure I won't have to risk life and limb just because I said I liked a particular buffet spread. I totally agree with you that most of the times what you get in the name of buffets is not worth another glance, but a few buffets are consistantly good, its them that I refer to - like the Square at Paryatak bhavan, Indijoe's, The Square at Novotel, the coffee shop of Hotel Golkonda - Skylight, etc etc...
Dont worry Honda2K, we dont spar with our foodie friends. Bring your enemy who likes buffet to the ring so we can make mince-meat of him instead

Out of the above list been to the following :-

Square ( I hated the buffet there and iam sure Hyd_Traveller will disagree with me)

Indijoes ( Love the buffet here)

Coffee Shop of Golconda ( Agree, its a good one as it shares kitched from JON)

Skylight ( Where is this place?)

Now so much talk is there about Paryatak Bhavan, should try the buffet there. But, i wouldnt want to fathom the risk of spending Rs.450 bucks for dinner. Is there a lunch buffet with cheaper price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda2k View Post
In the end its only our love of good food, thats what plays the magic for us. A-la-carte, buffet, 5 star, bandi star, no star, street food, home-cooked food, whatever. If its good, we're game, the rest is just adjectives.
Well, i like small/medium sized stand-alone restuarant and ofcourse the bandi food as my favorite places to eat

Honestly, i am not a fan of star hotel food ( its very rare that i like their food, never a buffet for sure) 5*'s are so hygienic, sometimes i wonder, do they wash their food with a premium washing powder and dress it in a Savile Row suit before serving
Old 6th February 2013, 16:26   #5285
BHPian

Went to Oh Calcutta for lunch today with 2 of my friends. Small place but it was full of kitty party ladies who were creating ruckus.

Ordered Mochar Chop (banana flower cutlet kind of thing) @ 130/- It was decent. Other starters were Roshun bhapa maach @ 225/- and Murshidabadi Murghi Fry @ 150/-

Roshun bhapa maach was the star dish. Steamed boneless Bekti fish served with mustard based sauce, one of the best fish items I have eaten ever. Takes time to prepare but worth the wait. The chicken was good.

For main course we ordered Freshwater whole bekti in mustard gravy @ 725/- with whole wheat naan. Again, the fish was excellent and the gravy very tasty.

For dessert 3 of us shared one mishti doi @ 70/-

The pricing was a big surprise. Very reasonably priced dishes as compared to Mainland China and other group restaurants.

Total bill including taxes and service charges came to Rs.2040.00. Money well spent.
Old 6th February 2013, 21:49   #5286
BHPian

Gents,

Let the debate begin . Have a look at the best restaurants in Hyderabad.

http://timescity.com/hyderabad/2013/...ds/restaurants

Mobike 008- Our favourite Paradise has once again won the best Biryani. I'm sure NoRules or Hyd_Traveller did not vote.

Amongst the winning hotels, my picks are Paradise, Labonel and Via Milano. I dont have much experience with the others.

@BBLost - Thanks for the tip off on Labonel. It sure deserves the award.

Last edited by autotranny : 6th February 2013 at 21:57.
Old 7th February 2013, 09:06   #5287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Let the debate begin . Have a look at the best restaurants in Hyderabad.
There is no debate. Paradise is the king of biryani. PERIOD

Quote:
Mobike 008- Our favourite Paradise has once again won the best Biryani. I'm sure NoRules or Hyd_Traveller did not vote.
....I like that. I am sure they didnt !!!

Last night, impromptu dinner at Bawarchi, RTC X Roads. We were the last people to get in before the shutter was downed at around 10:30pm

We ordered one chicken biryani between the both of us

It was super hot, full of masala and deliciously cooked chicken. It was perfect quantity for 2 people. On second thoughts, slightly on lesser side for two people but, perfect for a light dinner

Cheapest Dinner of our lives that costed us a grand total of Rs.150
Old 9th February 2013, 09:33   #5288
BHPian

Over the Moon-Rooftop - Hotel Daspalla-Jubilee Hills

Very upmarket and superb ambience with a nice elevated view of hi-tec city

Since it was a special occasion choices were either 'over the moon' or 'the aqua lounge' at the park hotel -necklace road.

We had :-(All very well made)

Smoked Salmon
Grilled Chicken & Prawns
Brown Onion Chicken with grilled mushrooms

They were accompanied with few rounds of drinks.

Total bill for 2 was inr - 2700 (all inclusive)

When in a mood to splurge with good trance/lounge music ,this is the place to be

Highly recommend (For the view/food/decor)
Old 9th February 2013, 12:23   #5289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Over the Moon-Rooftop - Hotel Daspalla-Jubilee Hills
Heard lot of good things about this place and I believe it is THE happening place in town. Another successful venture of B&C guys.
Old 9th February 2013, 15:10   #5290
BHPian

I had a quick lunch at Paradise Food Court, HITEC City Outlet, yesterday.

We ordered 1 chicken biryani, 1 veg Biryani, 1 Kandhari Chicken, 3 lime Sodas, 1 sprite and 2 Double ka meethas. The bill came upto Rs 1200.

Our tummies were kinda full and Rs 1200 for 4 did not seem too much, so we promptly paid off without veifying the bill in particular.

Post lunch, when i actually thought about it, I was kinda wondering. Should it have actually costed that much or did we pay the wrong bill.

I vaguely remember the Kandhari Chicken costing something around Rs 260/-.

Does anyone remember how much they charge for the Chi. and Veg Biryanis at Persis Gold (2nd floor).

Infact, we had ordered just 2 biryanis for the 4 of us, keeping in mind the parcel quantities, but the actual quantity served was very less.

I'm sure if I had bought these same stuff (apart from the beverages) as take away, I would have paid around Rs 500 only. So all in all, considering this huge price difference, and the not so lovely ambience on offer, I should safely presume that paradise is at best a take away place.
Old 9th February 2013, 16:43   #5291
BHPian

Quote:
Have a look at the best restaurants in Hyderabad.

http://timescity.com/hyderabad/2013/...ds/restaurants

Quote:
There is no debate. Paradise is the king of biryani. PERIOD

I like that. I am sure they didnt !!!
I was the first one to vote, or maybe one of the first.

Check this out post of mine : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3007689

The votes and the polls were rigged. Sad to see Sigree, Collage, Bhojanam and The Oriental Blossom in the winners list.

I was supposed to attend the awards and taste the food dished out by the winners but it was not meant to be and I ended up eating banquet food of Chutneys.

Paradise biryani is edible and good only if eaten there and only if latest by 13:00 at lunch and 20:00 at dinner. It just does not taste the same if taken away.

Bahar tastes awesome if taken away or even eaten next day.

Quote:
I had a quick lunch at Paradise Food Court, HITEC City Outlet, yesterday.

We ordered 1 chicken biryani, 1 veg Biryani, 1 Kandhari Chicken, 3 lime Sodas, 1 sprite and 2 Double ka meethas. The bill came upto Rs 1200.

Our tummies were kinda full and Rs 1200 for 4 did not seem too much, so we promptly paid off without veifying the bill in particular.

Post lunch, when i actually thought about it, I was kinda wondering. Should it have actually costed that much or did we pay the wrong bill.

Does anyone remember how much they charge for the Chi. and Veg Biryanis at Persis Gold (2nd floor).

Infact, we had ordered just 2 biryanis for the 4 of us, keeping in mind the parcel quantities, but the actual quantity served was very less.

I'm sure if I had bought these same stuff (apart from the beverages) as take away, I would have paid around Rs 500 only. So all in all, considering this huge price difference, and the not so lovely ambience on offer, I should safely presume that paradise is at best a take away place.
1) The 3 lime sodas, 1 sprite and 2 Double Ka Meethas are the reason for the huge bill. I caution all to keep away from beverages, soup and sweets at any Paradise outlets and stck to biryanis.

2) Takeaway ruins the Paradise biryani. It becomes a disaster.
Old 10th February 2013, 10:48   #5292
BHPian

There seems to be a substantial price difference between take-away and dine-in at Paradise.

I have personally been taking parcels from Paradise Take-away at Masab Tank for the last 8 months regularly. And the biryani was perfect every single time. No problem with the packaging too. Wonder what kind of trouble you have had to face. Could you please let us know? Just curious.
Old 10th February 2013, 22:32   #5293
BHPian

For people in and around Miyapur, try out the new veggie place Lakshmi Vilas @ Madinaguda (opp Green Bawarchi). They have a good buffet at Rs 250 odd with quite a decent spread. Soup, Rotis, assortment of curries, rice and even some pasta.

However my recommendation is the one of its kind Sambar Rice. It has a generous helping of desi ghee with sprinking of cashew nets. Priced at 110 plus taxes, the quantity isnot humungous but filling for a decent joe.

On the whole an excellent option for veggie food once in a while

Last edited by autotranny : 10th February 2013 at 22:34.
Old 11th February 2013, 12:05   #5294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However my recommendation is the one of its kind Sambar Rice. It has a generous helping of desi ghee with sprinking of cashew nets. Priced at 110 plus taxes, the quantity isnot humungous but filling for a decent joe.
Coincidental mention of Sambhar Rice

Last evening after a bout of shopping, we stopped at Mega City, Basheerbagh for a quick dinner (first time been to the family section, though been there several times in the gents only place). Wanted to go to Vaishonai which is our Sunday haunt but, was lazy to ride till Kachiguda.

Its small, AC and several families digging into Sambhar Rice which is their signature dish

We ordered the following with some cold mocktails :-

Masala Peanuts (Rs.100)
Fish Tikka ( Rs.270)
Sambhar Rice Full (Rs.125)

Each and every time was excellent with a special mention to Sambhar Rice with loads of ghee, pickle served on the side. No Cashewnuts but, lots of phalli ( the vegetable that iam not getting the english name right now). Wife was initially wanting to order 1/2 plate but, later on regretted NOT ordering 2 plates

I doubt if there is another place in city that serves a better sambhar rice.

Had SR in a few other popular places where its supposed to be good but, nothing comes close to Mega City.
Old 11th February 2013, 12:19   #5295
BHPian

Quote:
Masala Peanuts (Rs.100)
Fish Tikka ( Rs.270)
Sambhar Rice Full (Rs.125)

Had SR in a few other popular places where its supposed to be good but, nothing comes close to Mega City.
Its Sambar Rice Face-off time.

I'm interested in Mega City. The one tiny problem with the Lakshmi Vilas is that it is an out and out Veggie place. No option to balance your dinner with Fish Tikka or the like. A mix and match of Veggie and Non Veg is better anyday.

Talking of mix and match, one of my all time favorites from KDM is the curd rice with K Special Mutton Fry and Prawns.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks