Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2013, 16:01   #5311
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
the Sambhar Rice at Haveli at Begumpet too is quite good. Its quite generous in quantity, is spicy and is served piping hot with just the right amount of viscosity. Sambhar Rice with freshly made papads is a must try at Haveli.
Haveli remains my all time favourite for a variety of dishes ranging from "Crispy Loose Prawns" to "Crispy Loose Corn" and "Masala Papad" among others.
Old 12th February 2013, 16:17   #5312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Never expected this, but, the Sambhar Rice at Haveli at Begumpet too is quite good. I have never been to Megha before, but I am quite sure that it will please you. Its quite generous in quantity, is spicy and is served piping hot with just the right amount of viscosity. Sambhar Rice with freshly made papads is a must try at Haveli.
I have had sambhar rice at the following places where they claim to serve good ones

Mega City
Golden Deer (Ranigunj)
Golden Dragon ( Parklane)
Bar-One (Tadbund)
Home ( Mom makes some fabulous sambhar, rasam, avial etc..)

All above places were good and sambhar rice being such a simple dish, nobody can actually mar it. But,whats important is taste of the sambhar which has to be unique and I found that taste only at Mega City

Lets see if my opinion changes after having it at Haveli
Old 12th February 2013, 16:26   #5313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
-------and sambhar rice being such a simple dish, nobody can actually mar it.
I cordially invite you to taste the Sambhar rice at my office canteen. You will actually wonder how certain caterers can spoil such a simple dish. Even a curd rice tastes awful here....
Old 12th February 2013, 19:08   #5314

Hmmm... looks like Megha City is gonna get a lot of business from Team-BHP ! I'm looking to squeeze in some time out just to grab a parcel of Sambar Rice. By the way, is it advisable at all to take this as a parcel, and have it at Banjara hills - at least a 15-20 min ride from Basheerbagh ?
Old 12th February 2013, 22:15   #5315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda2k View Post
By the way, is it advisable at all to take this as a parcel, and have it at Banjara hills - at least a 15-20 min ride from Basheerbagh ?
Any dish as you know would taste way better if gobbled down at the table. But, they parcel SR in a silver packing which keeps it hot for 30 minutes atleast.

Hop onto your ride at 9:30pm and buy and ride back as at that time, less traffic. Make sure to ask him to give you extra drumsticks, pickle and ghee. And, next day expect a few pounds to appear magically

WARNING : As each and every table has atleast one sambhar rice ordered, they run out of it latest by 10:30pm, sometimes even by 10:00pm
Old 12th February 2013, 22:53   #5316

Quote:
Hop onto your ride at 9:30pm and buy and ride back as at that time, less traffic. Make sure to ask him to give you extra drumsticks, pickle and ghee. And, next day expect a few pounds to appear magically

WARNING : As each and every table has atleast one sambhar rice ordered, they run out of it latest by 10:30pm, sometimes even by 10:00pm
Thank you, Mobike008, for your tips ... will follow instructions to the 'T', and report back on this new discovery...ASAP !
Old 13th February 2013, 02:11   #5317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda2k View Post
By the way, is it advisable at all to take this as a parcel, and have it at Banjara hills - at least a 15-20 min ride from Basheerbagh ?
I carry it home and eat it after 30 minutes and it is still piping hot.
Quote:
they run out of it latest by 10:30pm, sometimes even by 10:00pm
And they do not have it ready before 1pm, if you want it for lunch.
Old 13th February 2013, 11:57   #5318
BHPian

Quote:
A clarification on a myth here :-

Iam told you should never eat prawns and curd together? It's believed that it will lead to skin dieases?

Is it true or indeed a myth?
All these food fads are myths. If you notice these fads are regional. Such beliefs in one region is contradicted by the cooking practices of another region.
Old 13th February 2013, 12:20   #5319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
There is a new coffee shop that opened up just besides Subway opposite Deloitte Drive. Just happened to get inside with a friend, but then decided to have a sub and walked out. The interiors looked good and upmarket. No idea about the menu though. You might want to give it a try. It's just to the left of Subway.
Thanks for the tip Jay. Sorry for the super late reply. The name of the place is Cafe Ristretto. I did visit this place on the same day. The interior is good.

Pesto chicken salad - Fresh vegetables and chunks of chicken with some greenish dressing. It was okayish.
Chicken hot wings - Super hot for my sensitive spice-o-meter.
Mocha - Good but nothing outstanding.
Iced cappuccino - Usual taste.
A water bottle.

Total bill - Rs.556 (all inclusive).

It is kind of a coffee shop where you could have a conversation without shouting (low volume music). Will I go there next time? Probably not when I am in the mood for a good coffee but yes when I have to meet somebody without going a long distance from my office.

My rating:
Food/beverage - 3.5/5
Ambience - 3/5
Service - 3/5
VFM - 3.5/4
Old 13th February 2013, 17:04   #5320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
The name of the place is Cafe Ristretto.
This is the one owned by Sania Mirza, Right?
Old 13th February 2013, 18:35   #5321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Yes indeed the same owned by "yours truly"!There was even an offer run(not sure if its still there)that if you go like the Ristretto FB page,3 lucky people get a free coffee Dont we have enough of these no brainer coffee lounges that we need one more to add to the clutter!

Quote:
A water bottle.
Hey Farukh,does the place serve normal regular filtered water or is it mandatory to buy the bottle?

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 13th February 2013 at 18:36.
Old 13th February 2013, 19:17   #5322
BHPian

Quote:
It is kind of a coffee shop where you could have a conversation without shouting (low volume music). Will I go there next time? Probably not when I am in the mood for a good coffee but yes when I have to meet somebody without going a long distance from my office.
Thanks for the review Farukh. The rates seem okayish if I should say, and a tad lesser compared to CCD? Didn't know the place was owned by Sania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
3 lucky people get a free coffee...
......with Sania? I'm just kidding.
Old 13th February 2013, 22:27   #5323
BHPian

Did Ristretto open. The last time I was on that road, I thought they were doing up the final touches.

Sania has big plans for the place. They are planning to have pool tables, Air hockey and maybe even a bowling alley in there. They also wanna open outlets in other cities.

EDIT : Are we all talking of the same place. The one Jayded mentions is in hitec city, opp Cyber Pearl, but Ristretto as far as I know is located in jubilee hills rd. 45.

EDIT 2 : Further reasearch done - I presume that Cafe Ristretto is not Sania's place. Apparently the one in HITEC has been there for a while and is featured on Zomato too. The one proposed by Sania is in Road No. 45, further down after the Hotel 45 Jubilee Hills. Its called just "Ristretto". See this article. (http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle4383194.ece). They also have a facebook page, where they have given some sneak peaks, but does not mention anything about the place opening.

This is a huge place, much bigger than CCD lounges. Last week I saw final works being done, though I'm not sure if it opened or not.

Last edited by autotranny : 13th February 2013 at 22:45.
Old 14th February 2013, 00:16   #5324
BHPian

Oh, so finally it's not what we thought it was.

And the real Ristretto looks really upmarket from the image in that link. Nice interiors.
Old 14th February 2013, 09:49   #5325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the review Farukh. Didn't know the place was owned by Sania.
Quote:
Yes indeed the same owned by "yours truly"!There was even an offer run(not sure if its still there)that if you go like the Ristretto FB page,3 lucky people get a free coffee
And I was like... What did I miss?

Quote:
The rates seem okayish if I should say, and a tad lesser compared to CCD?
Quote:
Dont we have enough of these no brainer coffee lounges that we need one more to add to the clutter!
Yes, lesser than CCD but I wouldn't mind paying more for a better coffee. I am totally against the idea of chain of coffee shops. They lose the passion and are pure commercial setups and not always provide the same quality. But at CCD, the coffee is good (barring few incidents and the callous attitude of the staff).

Quote:
Hey Farukh,does the place serve normal regular filtered water or is it mandatory to buy the bottle?
You have to buy like most of the other coffee lounges.

Most Viewed